Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16589 replies to this topic

#16321 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I like reading articulated positive and negative reviews to get a more comprehensive picture.

Yeah me too, but this guy was more into bashing the game more so than just saying why he disliked it. I mean I read and respect reviews from both sides, that is if the reviewer actually reviews it, not just bash a game because oh my god it's not a HD port that plays exactly like every other game in the series.

With that said, I seen mostly good press about Sim City and hardly any negative press. Then again I haven't really been keeping eye on reviews because there isn't much out there due to everyone will review after servers go live.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#16322 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Have you played Gun? I've only played it on the original Xbox (so I have no idea how good the PC port is), but for a game that's 8 years old, it's a solid western experience.

I played it when it was (relatively) new and I liked it a lot. It's the best western game I've played on any system (but I haven't played the Red Dead games--I'm waiting for a sub-$20 price on the Revolver Gold edition or whatever it's called).

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#16323 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Finally jumped on Legacy of Kain pack after realizing I had enough blue coins for it. I remember playing the first one on the PS1 a long time ago.

fs_overall.png

#16324 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Finally jumped on Legacy of Kain pack after realizing I had enough blue coins for it. I remember playing the first one on the PS1 a long time ago.

I mentioned that a bit on the GG thread, about Blood Omen, the Legacy of Kain.

It's on PSN so that's probably the easiest way to get it. There was a PC version, but it's not available for sale anywhere. It's apparently up on some abandonware sites, but with all the FMV where all the story is told missing. Also I've read that it doesn't run well on Windows 7/8 or even XP and you have to jump through hoops and get additional files to slow your CPU down, hand convert the videos to bink etc.

I think I may opt for the PSN version. :-P

As for the other 3 games in the series though, that pack is a great deal.

steam_sig.png

#16325 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

There was a PC version, but it's not available for sale anywhere. It's apparently up on some abandonware sites, but with all the FMV where all the story is told missing. Also I've read that it doesn't run well on Windows 7/8 or even XP and you have to jump through hoops and get additional files to slow your CPU down, hand convert the videos to bink etc.

Yeah it really would be nice if Steam (or GOG) had Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2 remastered for the modern PC. Then, you could play through the entire story on modern systems.

EDIT: Oh snap, just realized GOG *does* have Blood Omen 2 (http://www.gog.com/g...in_blood_omen_2)

I wonder why it wasn't re-released to Steam like the others?

#16326 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

FYI I found a quote from Nvidia on Neogaf regarding Tomb Raider issues:

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings.

Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

#16327 DaiMonPaul

DaiMonPaul

On the Fringe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

I played it when it was (relatively) new and I liked it a lot. It's the best western game I've played on any system (but I haven't played the Red Dead games--I'm waiting for a sub-$20 price on the Revolver Gold edition or whatever it's called).

I'm in the same boat. Really enjoyed that game, and would love to see more westerns on PC. I haven't played the Red Dead games either, but they've definitely caught my eye. I played a demo for one of the Call of Juarez games, but I didn't really care for it all that much.

#16328 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Yeah it really would be nice if Steam (or GOG) had Blood Omen and Blood Omen 2 remastered for the modern PC. Then, you could play through the entire story on modern systems.

EDIT: Oh snap, just realized GOG *does* have Blood Omen 2 (http://www.gog.com/g...in_blood_omen_2)

I wonder why it wasn't re-released to Steam like the others?

Because it's likely that it's temporarily exclusive to GOG. Give it a few more months and it might be released on Steam. A lot of GOG titles are like that, happened to the other Legacy of Kain titles, along with Tomb Raider as well.

#16329 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

FYI I found a quote from Nvidia on Neogaf regarding Tomb Raider issues:

These days I almost feel like if a game is being heavily promoted by AMD it may run like ass on Nvidia on release (until a game and/or video driver patch later) and vice versa.

It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened at all.

steam_sig.png

#16330 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

New BundleStars #4 is out http://www.bundlestars.com/

Steam:
Tiny Troopers
Adam's Venture
Adam's Venture 2

Desura:
Airport Control Simulator
Darkness Within
Darkness Within 2
Armada 2526
Firefighter

Also there will be two mystery games unlocked later. My money is on one of them being Adam's Venture 3.

Price: $1.25 for Tiny Troopers and Airport Control Simulator. $4.96 for all.

#16331 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

It sounds like disabling tessellation on nvidia minimizes crashes in Tomb Raider if anyone is having issues. I'm not playing til the weekend, so I haven't tried it.

#16332 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

New BundleStars #4 is out http://www.bundlestars.com/

Steam:
Tiny Troopers
Adam's Venture
Adam's Venture 2

Desura:
Airport Control Simulator
Darkness Within
Darkness Within 2
Armada 2526
Firefighter

Also there will be two mystery games unlocked later. My money is on one of them being Adam's Venture 3.

Price: $1.25 for Tiny Troopers and Airport Control Simulator. $4.96 for all.

Airport Control Simulator? Motoki's in for 10!

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#16333 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

It sounds like disabling tessellation on nvidia minimizes crashes in Tomb Raider if anyone is having issues. I'm not playing til the weekend, so I haven't tried it.

But then you miss out on the perfect hair physics. ;)

#16334 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Totally.

I like the Fireman simulator too. :-P

And actually, the Darkness and Last Half of Darkness (bonus) adventure games seem really interesting to me.

So yeah this one is a win win for me.

But then you miss out on the perfect hair physics. ;)

At first I did a quick read and though your reply was in reference to BSB's and though 'Wait, is there some hair simulator I am missing out on? Where!? Where!?'

steam_sig.png

#16335 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

At first I did a quick read and though your reply was in reference to BSB's and though 'Wait, is there some hair simulator I am missing out on? Where!? Where!?'

Oh you mean like this? lol

But no seriously, I read an article about the simulated hair physics in Tomb Raider and I can attest, with my new AMD card it looks pretty amazing.

#16336 motoki

motoki

Goofy Genie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Oh you mean like this? lol

But no seriously, I read an article about the simulated hair physics in Tomb Raider and I can attest, with my new AMD card it looks pretty amazing.

That's actually not much worse than grooming my little ponies in Secret of the Magic crystals which some adult men around here do...

I'd like to see the TR hair physics. I have an NVidia card at the moment though so not sure it will come through the same. Also I am cheap and don't trust Square Eidos to not drop the price like a hot potato so I'm going to wait a bit.

Hair is one of those things that 3D games still do very poorly. I remember being frustrated by how craptacular it looked in Morrowind, which prompted me to learn how to mod, but hair in most games still hasn't managed to pull off looking realistic and not plastic ken-doll-like.

steam_sig.png

#16337 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'd like to see the TR hair physics. I have an NVidia card at the moment though so not sure it will come through the same. Also I am cheap and don't trust Square Eidos to not drop the price like a hot potato so I'm going to wait a bit.

Hair is one of those things that 3D games still do very poorly. I remember being frustrated by how craptacular it looked in Morrowind, which prompted me to learn how to mod, but hair in most games still hasn't managed to pull off looking realistic and not plastic ken-doll-like.

AMD (of course) has a page showing some before/after or without/with shots.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

I found that it actually looks more natural than their screenshots suggest in-game. And I'm with you, I suspect by the Summer sale Tomb Raider will be $20-$25. The only reason I have it is because it came with the card. :)

ALSO:

Daily Deal: Legacy of Kain Collection - $6.25
Midweek Madness: RPG Maker Vx Ace - $34.99

Is this the first time Steam has had a midweek madness sale with only Software?

#16338 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Legacy of Kain Collection is the daily at $6.25. This version includes Defiance, Soul Reaver, and Soul Reaver 2, priced individually at $2.50 each (75% off).

#16339 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

The Airport Control Sim is actually a decent little casual time waster. You just sort of move the little planes around in the air messing with speed, direction, altitude to try to get them to land without crashing. It's a bit lacking in that you can land at odd angles some time with minimal effect on score and all the airports look the same, but not awful at all.

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#16340 jhill9056

jhill9056

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Forgot to check my steam account and ended up buying some Orcs Must Die DLC that I already had from the Robot weekend sale. Since it didn't cost me much I figured I would just give it away here. My apologies if there is a better place for this, but here you go.

OMD! DLC - Artifacts of Power Steam Code: TMDL6-X2DZA-2GLKD
OMD! DLC - Lost Adventures Steam Code: BBFQZ-50IB7-VWEPH

#16341 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

Didn't have this one, thanks! :D

#16342 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Legacy of Kain Collection is the daily at $6.25. This version includes Defiance, Soul Reaver, and Soul Reaver 2, priced individually at $2.50 each (75% off).

Still on sale at Gamersgate, and cheaper too. $4.50 for the pack, $1.80 for the Soul Reavers individually. However $2.99 for Defiance.

The thing that's stopping me from picking any of them up is I have never played the series and therefore have no nostalgia for it. While I've heard they're quite good I don't even know what type of game they are besides 3d Action/Adventure, and I'm not sure how they've aged. I may still grab Soul Reaver 1 with my leftover blue coins, to test out the series as an essentially free game from the Bethesda bundle purchase.

#16343 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

The thing that's stopping me from picking any of them up is I have never played the series and therefore have no nostalgia for it. While I've heard they're quite good I don't even know what type of game they are besides 3d Action/Adventure, and I'm not sure how they've aged. I may still grab Soul Reaver 1 with my leftover blue coins, to test out the series as an essentially free game from the Bethesda bundle purchase.

They have a really good over-arching storyline and were well regarded when they were originally released. However, without the nostalgia factor, I'm not sure if they still stand up on their own. Soul Reaver 1 was originally released for the PS1 (and later the Dreamcast and PC). Soul Reaver 2 was released for the PS2 pretty early in it's lifecycle.

Soul Reaver has great puzzle elements, and plays a lot like the earlier Tomb Raider games (they are, of course, made by the same folks). The problem is, it also looks like an early Tomb Raider game.

Even though it's the "end" of the story, I'd almost suggest starting with Defiance if you're only casually interested. There are two characters, one that is heavier on the action, and one that is heavier on the puzzling. There is also some pretty awesome voice acting, which is also in the earlier games but much more limited due to the technical limitations of the PS1.

Just my $0.02

#16344 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

RPG Maker and Darksiders Franchise are weekend deals.

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#16345 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Forgot to check my steam account and ended up buying some Orcs Must Die DLC that I already had from the Robot weekend sale. Since it didn't cost me much I figured I would just give it away here. My apologies if there is a better place for this, but here you go.

OMD! DLC - Artifacts of Power Steam Code: TMDL6-X2DZA-2GLKD

Activated Artifacts of Power.

Thanks!

#16346 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I can't even open the options menu. Game immediately crashes. As far as hardware goes, I have 2 670's (1 SC and 1 FTW).

Also, TressFX is not locked so Nvidia users can enable it (unlike GPU Physx with AMD cards). The problem I have read is that the performance hit is unreal.

Posted Image

#16347 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

That's actually not much worse than grooming my little ponies in Secret of the Magic crystals which some adult men around here do...

This is an even more obscure and unusual OT discussion than the ones I'm used to, but there are some interesting features on the Brave Blu-ray about how complicated it was for Pixar to get the look they wanted for the main character's hair and the wall tapestries.

BS needs to update its exchange rates; crappy US currency means their $4.96 is really $5.10. Still not bad for what's on offer, though; I scrapped my plans to get the IG Aquanox bundle and grabbed this instead. I've been waiting to get the Adam's Venture games in a pack on the cheap and the Loath Nolder (sp?) adventures looked interesting too, even though they got terrible ratings.

#16348 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

I can't even open the options menu. Game immediately crashes. As far as hardware goes, I have 2 670's (1 SC and 1 FTW).

Also, TressFX is not locked so Nvidia users can enable it (unlike GPU Physx with AMD cards). The problem I have read is that the performance hit is unreal.

You can adjust all the graphic options on the launcher that comes up when you launch it on Steam.

#16349 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

They have a really good over-arching storyline and were well regarded when they were originally released. However, without the nostalgia factor, I'm not sure if they still stand up on their own. Soul Reaver 1 was originally released for the PS1 (and later the Dreamcast and PC). Soul Reaver 2 was released for the PS2 pretty early in it's lifecycle.

Soul Reaver has great puzzle elements, and plays a lot like the earlier Tomb Raider games (they are, of course, made by the same folks). The problem is, it also looks like an early Tomb Raider game.

Even though it's the "end" of the story, I'd almost suggest starting with Defiance if you're only casually interested. There are two characters, one that is heavier on the action, and one that is heavier on the puzzling. There is also some pretty awesome voice acting, which is also in the earlier games but much more limited due to the technical limitations of the PS1.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for the write up, I'm going to pass on them seeing as how I didn't particularly like the Tomb Raider games I've played.

#16350 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

I mentioned that a bit on the GG thread, about Blood Omen, the Legacy of Kain.

It's on PSN so that's probably the easiest way to get it. There was a PC version, but it's not available for sale anywhere. It's apparently up on some abandonware sites, but with all the FMV where all the story is told missing. Also I've read that it doesn't run well on Windows 7/8 or even XP and you have to jump through hoops and get additional files to slow your CPU down, hand convert the videos to bink etc.

I think I may opt for the PSN version. :-P

As for the other 3 games in the series though, that pack is a great deal.

I've been reluctant to pick up any "PSOne Classics" because I was never able to get the stupid machine to save my games on the hard drive and I can't possibly complete any game (pretty much) in one sitting. I don't know whether these are in this group, but I figure the PS2 ports might be the same deal.