Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5589 replies to this topic

#5521 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

I did not just spend $7 getting all the missing cards for Portal 2 and Don't Starve.

I didn't, damnit.

:wall:

#5522 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

I did not just spend $7 getting all the missing cards for Portal 2 and Don't Starve.

I didn't, damnit.

They got you

#5523 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

They got you

:sob:

I'm a whore.

#5524 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

:sob:

I'm a whore.

Then you'll get that 7 back quick

#5525 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Then you'll get that 7 back quick

Hey. Didn't say I was a cheap whore.

;)

#5526 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

lol

I just find it amazing that even on a site like this, which is dedicated to people being cheapasses, and where people routinely participate in group buys to save an extra buck on a game or reduce the cost of an indie bundle, people are spending money on profile upgrades. If the card system is having that affect on a good many people here, imagine how successful it is amongst the general populace.

#5527 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

lol

I just find it amazing that even on a site like this, which is dedicated to people being cheapasses, and where people routinely participate in group buys to save an extra buck on a game or reduce the cost of an indie bundle, people are spending money on profile upgrades. If the card system is having that affect on a good many people here, imagine how successful it is amongst the general populace.

:hot:

#5528 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

lol

It's okay. I'll get my self-esteem back somehow.

The good news is I'm selling ever "prize" I've gotten from crafting badges so buy the background I want and make a little profit. It's a cute system. I think in the end it'll cost me $5 for the two badges and the background I want. It amuses me.

#5529 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hey. Didn't say I was a cheap whore.

;)

Then you'll get the 7 back AND be able to purchase the cards for the rest of the badges!

#5530 tfr

tfr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

lol

I save a few bucks on PC games so I can have more money to import console games. :cry:

#5531 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Then you'll get the 7 back AND be able to purchase the cards for the rest of the badges!

And anti biotics!

#5532 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

I've spent about £3-4 in total to get all cards I wanted (skipping Half-Life 2 and don't qualify for Dota 2). It was a fun little exercise, I had a few tabs open at one point and kept refreshing to see if I could get any "bargains". I snagged a Portal 2 card for 5p below market price - score!

I've sold most of the gubbins that came with crafting (backgrounds, emoticons) and picked up a 50% coupon for Evoland which I've used already.

It's been a fun little exercise. Didn't break the bank to pick up what I wanted and it was a cheap thrill to see if I got any decent "loot"*.

* - I didn't.

#5533 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

I spent a few bucks too. I really just want to get to level 10 so I can get the achievement showcase...

#5534 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

I spent a few bucks too. I really just want to get to level 10 so I can get the achievement showcase...

I'm level 10 and I don't see the achievement showcase option. All kinds of other ones though. Am I looking at the wrong thing? :P

#5535 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

I suppose that would be a valid thing to use the cards to get.

I hadn't really thought about that aspect of all this, as I feel like most of the steam regulars I know started off at around level 10-11.

#5536 wuxbustah8

wuxbustah8

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

What gets you EXP? I've been on Steam for two years and try to get all the badges during sales but I was only level 6.

fs_overall.png

#5537 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

What gets you EXP? I've been on Steam for two years and try to get all the badges during sales but I was only level 6.

completing badges is it at the moment. I'm only level 4 (somehow it says I've been on steam 3 years, not sure how that happened). I hope they add achievement support like everyone wants, that would be very addicting:joystick:

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#5538 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Why get 1 showcase when you can get 2 showcases at level 20?

76561197967716198.png

#5539 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

You need 20 badges to get from lvl 10 to lvl 20.
Selling Steam key: Race The Sun $1.10 (Cards) & Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine $1.10 (Cards) (Or both for $2.)
I'm also selling Indie Gala August bundles! Please PM me if you're interested. :)

#5540 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Depends on progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt.

Max Years is 9 = 450 exp. Hat of UW&R = 100 exp. Perfect Steam Holiday/Summer sales = 200 exp each. Potato Sack = 200 exp.

I also don't know what you mean by 20 badges, the max number of badges is 14 (not including Valve/Developer/Foil Badges (LOL))

76561197967716198.png

#5541 Detruire

Detruire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Depends on progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt.

It doesn't depend on any of that. If you're at lvl 10 you need to upgrade/complete 20 badges to reach lvl 20.
Selling Steam key: Race The Sun $1.10 (Cards) & Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine $1.10 (Cards) (Or both for $2.)
I'm also selling Indie Gala August bundles! Please PM me if you're interested. :)

#5542 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

I also don't know what you mean by 20 badges, the max number of badges is 14 (not including Valve/Developer/Foil Badges (LOL))

Each card badge can be upgraded 4 times by collecting another full set.

So while there are 6 card badges, you can get 500 experience from each, making those 6 card badges potentially worth that of 30 badges.

#5543 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Each card badge can be upgraded 4 times by collecting another full set.

So while there are 6 card badges, you can get 500 experience from each, making those 6 card badges potentially worth that of 30 badges.

Yeah, I know that. My point was that you can get 1,550 exp from getting "perfects" on every prior event (8 total) that I listed. You'd only need 1,450 exp to get to level 20 (3,000 exp) = max out only 3 games or 15 times. You could potentially get from lvl 1 to lvl 20 in 23 badges total; it just depends on the number of exp you got from all the events in the past years.

76561197967716198.png

#5544 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, I know that. My point was that you can get 1,550 exp from getting "perfects" on every prior event (8 total) that I listed. You'd only need 1,450 exp to get to level 20 (3,000 exp) = max out only 3 games or 15 times. You could potentially get from lvl 1 to lvl 20 in 23 badges total; it just depends on the number of exp you got from all the events in the past years.

Sure, but I think the point that was being made was that the XP for level doubles between level 10 and level 20, so it would take 20 card badges to bridge that gap, which is a pretty absurd number.

That's not the ONLY way to do it (as you've pointed out), but most people seem to be right around level 10 or 11 from their sale/community badges, so it seems to be the way that's most viable at the moment.

#5545 Hoarder

Hoarder

Steam Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Sure, but I think the point that was being made was that the XP for level doubles between level 10 and level 20, so it would take 20 card badges to bridge that gap, which is a pretty absurd number.

That's not the ONLY way to do it (as you've pointed out), but most people seem to be right around level 10 or 11 from their sale/community badges, so it seems to be the way that's most viable at the moment.

I agree, it was the contention of Detruire's reply that progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt doesn't matter - that's simply not true.

76561197967716198.png

#5546 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

Free Steam codes for Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 here.

Woohooo! :D
TY!

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#5547 Detruire

Detruire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

I agree, it was the contention of Detruire's reply that progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt doesn't matter - that's simply not true.

It is true. None of that progress affects how many badges you'd need to get from level 10 to level 20 (in other words: starting at level 10 and ending at level 20.)

#5548 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

It is true. None of that progress affects how many badges you'd need to get from level 10 to level 20 (in other words: starting at level 10 and ending at level 20.)

He's saying not all badges are 100XP.

Years of Service is 50XP per year and Potato Sack is 200XP, I believe.

#5549 Detruire

Detruire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Put bluntly: the reason that someone without a showcase ("why get 1 showcase" ⇒ doesn't already have access to one) would settle for one - rather than two - is because they would need 20 additional badges to gain access to the second.

#5550 LazyTriangle

LazyTriangle

flashbang dance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

I didn't, damnit.

I know how you feel, I spent $18 on trading cards today. I did sell a couple of cards and got $2 back and I still have a Pyro foil card and a Portal 2 foil card for sale which should get me my money back (hopefully)

T9rTk6Q.gif