The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Genocidal']To be fair, Valve will also ban you for chargebacks, unless their policy changed (and I don't see why it would). That said, Valve also offered refunds on the only game I can remember launching on Steam that didn't work or was not as promised (WarZ).[/QUOTE]

This. The issue really is that users have ZERO recourse against EA for these shenanigans. When someone finally steps up and threatens to do something, they are informed that their account will be banned.

Ars:
EA not altering return policy for furious SimCity buyers
Publisher continues to scramble to increase server capacity, restore features.

"In general we do not offer refunds on digital download games," EA tweeted through its official Origin account yesterday, directing people to the company's online policy on returns and cancellations. While downloadable games purchased in North America are not be refunded "as a general policy," EA does offer a "14-day unconditional guarantee" on any physical product sold through the Origin store. European customers, however, may be able to withdraw their downloadable purchase during a 14-day "Cooling Off period" as outlined on EA's European return policy page.

The recent tweet comes after a message posted to EA's forums by Community Manager Raven on Tuesday, stating that "f you regrettably feel that we let you down, you can of course request a refund for your order... though we're currently still in the process of resolving this issue." That message has now been revised to simply say "please review our refund policy here."

A minor furor developed over the last few days when one irate customer claimed EA support had threatened to ban his Origin account merely for requesting a refund. However, the banning "threat" only came when the customer himself threatened to have his bank stop payment on the still-pending transaction. "We will not ban players for requesting refunds," EA clarified through its Origin Twitter account.

[quote name='Motoki']Wait, what?? They are threatening to remove people's access to ALL their games on Origin because they want to file a chargeback on one game that isn't working as promised?

Christ, that's low even for EA. And that kind of shenanigans of threatening to yank someone's entire account access makes people understandbly skittish about using client based stores. If they want to grow Origin that is NOT the way to do it.

I mean if they sold you an XBox game and then it didn't work and you did a chargeback it's not like they can come to your house and take back ALL your XBox games, even ones that EA didn't publish (remember, Origin sells non-EA stuff too).

That's really bullshit. EA needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Valve do the same thing if after you activated a game on Steam you file a charge back with your bank?

[quote name='juanjava']Didn't Valve do the same thing if after you activated a game on Steam you file a charge back with your bank?[/QUOTE]

Yeah but games in general do work on Steam on the whole and as has been noted if there is a big cluster issue (WarZ, From Dust) they will offer refunds.

I admit Steam's service on the individual level sucks donkey balls and that really needs to be addressed, but if there's some big mega issue on a mass level Valve does respond.

How many negative articles does EA need hurting their image before they realize that maybe they should do something to remedy the situation instead of digging their heels in?

Also one of the Origin community managers stated they would give a refund which PC Gamer quoted and linked but then EA scubbed the quote from the link so it's not there anymore.

I think the morale of the story here (and with Aliens: Colonial Marines) is that you don't pre-order or buy games on release day. It's either gonna suck so bad you're going to wish you could get a refund, or it's gonna be 75% off within a few months.

Early adopting (especially in the tech world) has it's fair share of risks, if you can't deal with it, don't do it.

[quote name='TheLongshot']RPS has a good article talking about EA and about the whole "gaming as a service" direction.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/07/simcity-vs-the-people-why-apologies-arent-enough/

tl;dr version: game companies should look at real services and note that the stuff they are pulling wouldn't fly with those companies. Also, this crap seems to continue to happen every time, with no one learning lessons from it.[/QUOTE]

That's is one rambling article of little substance. File it under the Opinions section. Good TL;DR though.

Whether the game works or not, it's standard policy and it's a policy we all agree to when we purchase a game To get all fussy about it is just silly and a product of entitled people expecting companies to change policies rule because "I am the customer and I am unhappy."

Yes, EA has not handled this launch well. Yes, it sucks. Don't buy from them again if you want or wait until they smooth things over next time. Complaining about policies you agreed to when you purchased something is just silly and pointless.

Sadly, boxed copies of SimCity (which include a redemption code for Origin, obviously) purchased through Origin have a 14 day refund policy. So to add insult to injury, EA is processing a lot of refunds for people who purchased boxed copies, but not digital copies. Additionally, some users have been successful at getting refunds from EA for their digital copies, and a lot of customers who purchased the game on Amazon and have requested a refund are also being refunded.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Whether the game works or not, it's standard policy and it's a policy we all agree to when we purchase a game To get all fussy about it is just silly and a product of entitled people expecting companies to change policies rule because "I am the customer and I am unhappy."

Yes, EA has not handled this launch well. Yes, it sucks. Don't buy from them again if you want or wait until they smooth things over next time. Complaining about policies you agreed to when you purchased something is just silly and pointless.[/QUOTE]

I think it's worth mentioning because it affects the entire industry as a whole.

If you want to get pissy and throw around the entitled word so be it.

The botched up this launch. Big time. And instead of taking steps to try and remedy that they are throwing water on a grease fire.

They're going to get called out for it. It reading those calling outs makes you bitchy take some midol.

[quote name='Motoki']I think it's worth mentioning because it effects the entire industry as a whole.

If you want to get pissy and throw around the entitled word so be it.

The botched up this launch. Big time. And instead of taking steps to try and remedy that they are throwing water on a grease fire.

They're going to get called out for it. It reading those calling outs makes you bitchy take some midol.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm bitchy for posting my opinion, meanwhile you've been complaining for two days straight, but that's cool?

It's called a discussion. Take your own advice sometimes.

I said what I needed to say and have no clue what the hell you said because you're on ignore.

Feel free to keep being sour and complaining about people complaining.

I'm taking off here for a while to go do something useful with my time.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yes, I'm bitchy for posting my opinion, meanwhile you've been complaining for two days straight, but that's cool?

It's called a discussion. Take your own advice sometimes.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Maybe Motoki should take some midol ;)

But I can see how Motoki would feel entitled. He filed a chargeback against GamersGate and got to keep his games (I think he bought several Stardock/Bethesda packs) with no repercussion.

[quote name='juanjava']Didn't Valve do the same thing if after you activated a game on Steam you file a charge back with your bank?[/QUOTE]

It's not really clear, the general impression from all I've read is that if you fill for a chargeback Valve disables the game in question and blocks your account from further purchases, at most Valve blocks you account, not access to your games, but I've yet to see an story in which Valve threatens a user to lose his account if he wants to fill a chargeback related to a massive case of a non-working game.

[quote name='asheskitty']That's is one rambling article of little substance. File it under the Opinions section. Good TL;DR though.[/QUOTE]

As is all the bs RPS posts.

[quote name='Motoki']I said what I needed to say and have no clue what the hell you said because you're on ignore.

Feel free to keep complaining about people complaining and being sour.

I'm taking off here for a while to go do something useful with my time.
[/QUOTE]

I guess the lesson here is that as long as you give out a ton of copies of Coconut Queen, your given a pass on being an insufferable troll. But yes, please leave, get some professional help so you can learn to exist on a forum where not everyone shares your opinion, and then come back like you always do.

Anyways, I'd be much more inclined to be up on arms about that Origin chat if the guy who initiated it didn't sound like he was baiting. I mean who ends a chat with "this is going viral."

[quote name='Genocidal']What the hell? Calm down everyone, it's Friday, and I've already mentally checked out.[/QUOTE]

What he said. Really.

Okay, since this SimCity talk is making everyone crazy, a question: is $4.98 a good price for Sword of the Stars II (currently on Gamersgate)?

Every time I read these threads it's a horrible catch 22. Nothing is on topic but to point that out is to contribute to it by posting another off topic post. This isn't PC General.

Also, all this talk about a giant catastrophe for EA? Internets nerd rage is just all talk. It always is. Aliens:CM and DNF made money hand over fist and Borderlands remains inexplicably loved. Gearbox won. EA has less of a perfect record but internets nerd rage isn't a game changer for them. It's an option with benefits and costs. Simcity will sell on Origin for far longer than any backlash will last, especially since a large part of it is just cathartic airing of grievances and raging against the machine rather than any sort of classy issue raising.

I don't like EA that much but I've seen tantrums come and go. "This will go viral." That's a tantrum. You're playing to score points and not get your issues addressed.

Oh and Motoki doesn't get a free pass. We know he's a child but there's no sense in making a public ordeal of it. That's the difference between being a child and not.

[quote name='warreni']What he said. Really.

Okay, since this SimCity talk is making everyone crazy, a question: is $4.98 a good price for Sword of the Stars II (currently on Gamersgate)?[/QUOTE]

I'd say no, it's a Paradox game so there have been, and will be, cheaper options from Amazon.

[quote name='warreni']Okay, since this SimCity talk is making everyone crazy, a question: is $4.98 a good price for Sword of the Stars II (currently on Gamersgate)?[/QUOTE]

It was in the Plentiful Paradox Pack which was originally $10 then later for $7.50. I'm not sure if it went lower. You might find it cheap in trades thread.

Today's deal is Miasmata at 66% off ($5.10)

Miasmata is a first-person survival/adventure game, developed from the ground-up by brothers Joe and Bob Johnson. You play as Robert Hughes, a plague-stricken scientist on a journey to discover a cure. Your adventure begins on the shores of a remote and mysterious island.
Genre: Action, Adventure, Indie

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I'd say no, it's a Paradox game so there have been, and will be, cheaper options from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']It was in the Plentiful Paradox Pack which was originally $10 then later for $7.50. I'm not sure if it went lower. You might find it cheap in trades thread.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks for the advice.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is Miasmata at 66% off ($5.10)

Miasmata is a first-person survival/adventure game, developed from the ground-up by brothers Joe and Bob Johnson. You play as Robert Hughes, a plague-stricken scientist on a journey to discover a cure. Your adventure begins on the shores of a remote and mysterious island.
Genre: Action, Adventure, Indie[/QUOTE]

The curse of the indie. If I didn't have The Cat Lady and Lucius from other bundles I'd be tempted. Glad to see it hit at least 66% off though.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is Miasmata at 66% off ($5.10)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Indie[/QUOTE]

The curse of the indie. If I didn't have The Cat Lady and Lucius from other bundles I'd be tempted. Glad to see it hit at least 66% off though.

Also:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/search/?q=killing+floor

75% off KF and DLC on GMG until monday. I think there might be another 20% off code floating around.

I'm buying DLC since Steam has been so stingy with it lately.

And then Kalypso put Tropico 4 on sale at 75% off for a week for some reason that I'm sure no one could guess.

$7.49 for the base game
$9.99 for everything
DLC is $1.24 to $4.99

Also, Tropico 3 for $2.49 or $3.74 for gold edition
Tropico Trilogy (1, 2, 3 gold) $4.99

[quote name='spoderman']Exactly, that's pretty much standard if you're going to proceed with a chargeback. You risk getting your account banned, nearly anywhere..[/QUOTE]

Including Amazon. Amazon accounts can and do get banned for things like excessive returns and, I'd assume, charge-backs. You can find articles where people complain about losing their Kindle libraries. Digital software would be the same.

[quote name='louiedog']And then Kalypso put Tropico 4 on sale at 75% off for a week for some reason that I'm sure no one could guess.

$7.49 for the base game
$9.99 for everything
DLC is $1.24 to $4.99

Also, Tropico 3 for $2.49 or $3.74 for gold edition
Tropico Trilogy (1, 2, 3 gold) $4.99[/QUOTE]

Ugh, as usual, cheaper to buy the gold pack than all the DLC. I posted a price match request in the Amazon thread, if you own the base game, hop over there and throw some support for it!

Do the Killing Floor skins have perks or boosts of some kind? Why are some one character only like the chicken and the money guy and others are sets?

[quote name='TheLongshot']RPS has a good article talking about EA and about the whole "gaming as a service" direction.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/07/simcity-vs-the-people-why-apologies-arent-enough/

tl;dr version: game companies should look at real services and note that the stuff they are pulling wouldn't fly with those companies. Also, this crap seems to continue to happen every time, with no one learning lessons from it.[/QUOTE]

tl;dr version - It is funny that publishers always talk about how consumers don't own games, that we just license them, so essentially we are getting a service, not really a product. Same with MP/RIAA mafia. The problem is, consumers have virtually no rights and the major publishers are now so big that they can just flip the bird to anyone who complains. Publishers currently have no incentive or reason to offer better customer service. And now that EA/Valve/Ubi are both publisher and distributor, we're all fucked.

[quote name='pantsattack']Do the Killing Floor skins have perks or boosts of some kind? Why are some one character only like the chicken and the money guy and others are sets?[/QUOTE]

It's all cosmetic

[quote name='pantsattack']Do the Killing Floor skins have perks or boosts of some kind? Why are some one character only like the chicken and the money guy and others are sets?[/QUOTE]

They are just skins. The sets are typically older, somewhat bland characters. There are some skins you can unlock via achievements, check the KF wiki for details.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']It's all cosmetic[/QUOTE]

Anyone who knows this for sure and uses Enhanced Steam should submit DLC categorization requests for it so I can add it to the database. :D

Anyways, I'd be much more inclined to be up on arms about that Origin chat if the guy who initiated it didn't sound like he was baiting. I mean who ends a chat with "this is going viral."

Someone who realizes just how bad that chat log sounds?

Giving companies a pass because of "policies" just isn't right. Arguing that these companies should be absolved from having to provide what people paid money for because the companies say that they don't want to be held to basic standards of commerce is complete and utter bollocks.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']It's all cosmetic[/QUOTE]

[quote name='travathian']They are just skins. The sets are typically older, somewhat bland characters. There are some skins you can unlock via achievements, check the KF wiki for details.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']Anyone who knows this for sure and uses Enhanced Steam should submit DLC categorization requests for it so I can add it to the database. :D[/QUOTE]

It is mostly cosmetic, except that some of the weapon packs have powerful weapons.

The sets aren't necessarily older, just generic sort of sets with skins. The individual ones cost more because they usually have their own voice and a story behind them. So Ash Harding is the first female, Harold Lott says money stuff, and the Robot talks.

They are usually associated with events, so I think the Harold Loot was during the first hillbilly event, Chickenator from Halloween, and Robot from twisted christmas.

You can unlock some characters doing events or special things, but not sure if you can unlock all of the purchasable ones.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']It is mostly cosmetic, except that some of the weapon packs have powerful weapons.

The sets aren't necessarily older, just generic sort of sets with skins. The individual ones cost more because they usually have their own voice and a story behind them. So Ash Harding is the first female, Harold Lott says money stuff, and the Robot talks.

They are usually associated with events, so I think the Harold Loot was during the first hillbilly event, Chickenator from Halloween, and Robot from twisted christmas.

You can unlock some characters doing events or special things, but not sure if you can unlock all of the purchasable ones.[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah forgot about the weapons pack.

So whats the verdict on the Tropicos. If I just want a tiny bit of a SimCity-esque fix, is cheapest T3 enough? Or should I really shellout and get the complete T4 collection?

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Ah yeah forgot about the weapons pack.[/QUOTE]

Not really, he asked about skins. The weapon packs are pretty clearly not skins.

[quote name='Izod517']So whats the verdict on the Tropicos. If I just want a tiny bit of a SimCity-esque fix, is cheapest T3 enough? Or should I really shellout and get the complete T4 collection?[/QUOTE]

I havent even played T3, but most everyone I have talked to said it is still superior to T4. I have T4, it is pretty fun, but w/o all the DLC it seems lacking. I'd probably spring for the T3 complete, cause I am sure T4 will go on sale again eventually and you can pick it up later if you liked T3.

[quote name='Izod517']So whats the verdict on the Tropicos. If I just want a tiny bit of a SimCity-esque fix, is cheapest T3 enough? Or should I really shellout and get the complete T4 collection?[/QUOTE]

Just go for T4, its basically T3++. Adds better graphics, more gameplay options, but similar scenarios.

I do love me some tropico, its one of the few Ive played completely through, and maybe will go back through modern times dlc since I havent played that yet. Most of the dlc from what I can tell though doesnt add much except one extra mission and one or 2 buildings per dlc, thats why I only grabbed modern times since its the only one that seemed to add a significant amount of content. I played through a bunch of T3 but once 4 came out I ended up dropping it and just started on 4

Heres a comparison thread, http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2806469

You also get much larger random maps with T4, all in all its just a much improved version on T3 and you dont really miss out on any content

I'm quite tempted to grab Tropico 4 Complete. $10 is good enough, how long will it be to drop to $7.50/$5, It'll take a MSRP drop, but the Complete pack is quite new. I also feel it's a way of showing support for non-connected single-player City Sims.

[quote name='louiedog']I just voted for Smooth Operators on Steam Greenlight because why build a city or a communist island country when you can build and manage a call center?[/QUOTE]

What do you have against people who want to run a Communist Tropical Island? ^_~

[quote name='asheskitty']What do you have against people who want to run a Communist Tropical Island? ^_~[/QUOTE]

There's nothing sexy about running a tropical island from a palace with lots of money. Call centers are where it's at. Of course I may also be thinking of a particular type of call center.

[quote name='louiedog']There's nothing sexy about running a tropical island from a palace with lots of money. Call centers are where it's at. Of course I may also be thinking of a particular type of call center.[/QUOTE]

Origin Customer Service Call Center? You little devil! ^_~

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back