The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The End']It is pretty fucking funny, isn't it? I do have interest in it, but I was planning to wait until it hits $5 because of my enormous backlog. But now I'm considering picking it up at $10 just to reward them for this cheeky move.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the exact same boat. I might just pick up Tropico 3 for the hell of it, at least save a little money.

Might grab tropico 3 for the hell of it. Never played one before, and not a big sim fan. However the low entry price and sim city fiasco has me interested.

i'm lERving the 4/10's coming in from big time reviewers. worst product reviews of all time etc etc on simcity. i believe ea deserves all of this and more. drm like this is a sin. its actually a fantastic thing, as this might largely influence next gen consoles and bide time for the eventual gaming as a service. when gaming becomes a service, i will no longer game.

ea is a sickness.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Last holiday season they reunlocked bad santa, but when I looked up online about the commando chicken it said it was not unlocked for Halloween 2012, the only thing available was the grim reaper.[/QUOTE]

Rule The Roost Unlocked: Nov 3, 2012 11:19pm
Get all 6 achievements and unlock Commando Chicken

Straight from my Steam KF achievement page.
I think the first couple days of the Halloween event it wasn't unlocked yet, but eventually all the old Halloween ones started to activate. They did better for Christmas 2012 cause as far as I remember they all started working Day 1 except highlander and some other one. I would hope they do the same this year, so if someone is totally opposed to paying cash for skins, there are still a few decent skins to get via achievements.

[quote name='joeyshadows']Might grab tropico 3 for the hell of it. Never played one before, and not a big sim fan. However the low entry price and sim city fiasco has me interested.[/QUOTE]

There are demos on Steam for both Trop 3 and 4 in case you want to try it out first.

A question for you guys.

I still have my free code for a uPlay game which I haven't gotten around to using. It looks like my choices for games I'm interested in are "Heroes Of Might & Magic 5" and "Beyond Good And Evil". Now, I know BG&E is good, but I also finished the game on PS2 and probably won't revisit it for a while. I haven't played a HOM&M game since 3. Is 5 any good?

New thread, eh? From my research, I surmise that I missed a lot of local beer, alphabetization, shenanigans, and maybe, just maybe one actual Steam-provided deal.

[quote name='TheLongshot']A question for you guys.

I still have my free code for a uPlay game which I haven't gotten around to using. It looks like my choices for games I'm interested in are "Heroes Of Might & Magic 5" and "Beyond Good And Evil". Now, I know BG&E is good, but I also finished the game on PS2 and probably won't revisit it for a while. I haven't played a HOM&M game since 3. Is 5 any good?[/QUOTE]

5 is alright but it is still not as good as 3. I still prefer the 2d art over 3d. The heroes franchise has been going down ever since Ubisoft took over.

[quote name='randomdud']New thread, eh? From my research, I surmise that I missed a lot of local beer,[/QUOTE]

I love Michigan breweries....that is all.:booty:

[quote name='travathian']Rule The Roost Unlocked: Nov 3, 2012 11:19pm
Get all 6 achievements and unlock Commando Chicken

Straight from my Steam KF achievement page.
I think the first couple days of the Halloween event it wasn't unlocked yet, but eventually all the old Halloween ones started to activate. [/QUOTE]

That's right. I did all of the current ones and put it away, and missed the old ones again for like the 2nd or 3rd year in a row. Xmas was better; now I just hope they do the potato stuff again this or next month.

[quote name='oman19']I love Michigan breweries....that is all.:booty:[/QUOTE]

Had some Bell's and Founders this past week—good stuff.

[quote name='oman19']I love Michigan breweries....that is all.:booty:[/QUOTE]

It's the only thing we produce well here, outside of sadness.

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's the only thing we produce well here, outside of sadness.[/QUOTE]
And F150 and drug dealers? Or do you guys ignore Detroit now?

[quote name='asheskitty']
This![/quote]
The only things that I think could be and probably will be a problem w/ making a game work for players both online and offline is the balancing could get out-of-whack - i.e. a game might feel too hard when playing solo, but too easy when playing w/ other players.
Oh, the other problem - if you can use the same character offline and online and all this stuff can be saved locally, there could be a lot of cheating happening when you take your (same) character online - i.e. Borderlands 1 problem.

More reasons for implementing different difficulty levels (even if it's just number of damage you give and or take. ;)

I celebrate my ever increasing backlog!

I'm not a sinner backlogger because I sin backlog; I backlog because I'm a backlogger!
Sometimes I celebrate it b/c I own so much and have so many awesome games...
...but other times, I feel like I will never catch-up with it; and it saddens me I don't have enough time in the world to play all of stuff. ;)

And some of the stuff I have, they're considered classics - but Lord knows if I'll even play them. I'm not big on strategy games, but I surely own a lot of them.

[quote name='Carlmundo']Indie Gala happy hour is on.

Hopefully someone starts selling them cheaper :)[/QUOTE]
And I caved last night and picked it up, figured they wouldn't have one in a short bundle. Oh well, it's only a few dollars more.

[quote name='plft']And I caved last night and picked it up, figured they wouldn't have one in a short bundle. Oh well, it's only a few dollars more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you say that now. But it's gonna haunt you on your deathbed. :(

[quote name='MysterD']The only things that I think could be and probably will be a problem w/ making a game work for players both online and offline is the balancing could get out-of-whack - i.e. a game might feel too hard when playing solo, but too easy when playing w/ other players.
Oh, the other problem - if you can use the same character offline and online and all this stuff can be saved locally, there could be a lot of cheating happening when you take your (same) character online - i.e. Borderlands 1 problem.

More reasons for implementing different difficulty levels (even if it's just number of damage you give and or take. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, Diablo 2 had both online and offline play, but characters were exclusive to one or the other. As I liked to play a character mostly solo with an occasional meet-up, I never touched single player after a first play-through.

Difficulty did ramp depending on the number of players in a game. XP rewards did as well.

[quote name='gilby']Well, Diablo 2 had both online and offline play, but characters were exclusive to one or the other. As I liked to play a character mostly solo with an occasional meet-up, I never touched single player after a first play-through.

Difficulty did ramp depending on the number of players in a game. XP rewards did as well.[/QUOTE]

I preferred single player to multiplayer after the game became so full of dupes and hacked items.

My level 86 single player hardcore necro was no joke.

In both Titan Quest and Torchlight 2 I started several characters in coop with a friend, but never completed them, never even got close. I prefer solo play by far, and I also think the number of classes in TQ has spoiled me. Someday I'll have to register my $10 D3 though, but I'll be sticking to 'solo' play as much as I can.

[quote name='The End']Yeah, you say that now. But it's gonna haunt you on your deathbed. :([/QUOTE]
It already is. I could have bought some Tropico games with my spendings.

[quote name='Carlmundo']Indie Gala happy hour is on.

Hopefully someone starts selling them cheaper :)[/QUOTE]
Is that bundle worth getting? The only thing that looks even semi-interesting to me is Earth Defense.

Don't get me wrong i am open to try new things but some of the games on there look like shovelware. Miner Wars i guess looks alright.

[quote name='stupidproz1']I preferred single player to multiplayer after the game became so full of dupes and hacked items.

My level 86 single player hardcore necro was no joke.[/QUOTE]

I never really saw dupes and hacked items when I played, but I was in hardcore and avoided trading and most public games.

[quote name='asheskitty']Today, Steam brings us disappointment in the form of STAR WARS®: Knights of the Old Republic™ II @ $3.40 (66% off) Lowest was $2.49 on the winter sale.[/QUOTE]

It's a decent deal on a good game that hasn't been on sale a lot if you missed the winter sale, want to play it relatively soon and don't feel like waiting months and months to save another 91 cents. Though the unofficial patch is pretty near a must.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

Hey, at least it ain't Magicka for the 458th time.

[quote name='gilby']Well, Diablo 2 had both online and offline play, but characters were exclusive to one or the other. As I liked to play a character mostly solo with an occasional meet-up, I never touched single player after a first play-through.[/quote]
Right - that'd be one way to do it: offline saves for offline games only; online saves for online games only in the Cloud.
And I mostly played offline, back iwhen I played D2.
God knows why - I played HGL online instead of offline, most of the time.

Interesting, apparently EA are trying slightly harder now. Starting march18th everyone has a registered copy of simcity will get an email telling them how to redeem a free game from EA's catalog, any game they have.

[quote name='ezelkow1']Interesting, apparently EA are trying slightly harder now. Starting march18th everyone has a registered copy of simcity will get an email telling them how to redeem a free game from EA's catalog, any game they have.[/QUOTE]

If it's really ANY game in the catalog... wow.

Buy SimCity get Dead Space 3 free.

Not a bad deal.

[quote name='ezelkow1']Interesting, apparently EA are trying slightly harder now. Starting march18th everyone has a registered copy of simcity will get an email telling them how to redeem a free game from EA's catalog, any game they have.[/QUOTE]

Was it confirmed that it was going to be any game in there catalog? I read the press release and didn't see it say that.

[quote name='Eldredpe']If it's really ANY game in the catalog... wow.

Not a bad deal.[/QUOTE]

Well just says:
And to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game.

Sounds to me like any game from the catalog, of course its EA though, so we'll see

Not a bad deal.[/QUOTE]

First, it's Origin. Second, it's SimCity. You're buying a Sims game. If you haven't gotten enough of telling virtual people when to shit in the 13 years since the first game was released, there's no hope for you. God complex it up somewhere else. =P

Sources tell me the free game is LOTR: Conquest, a multiplayer game released in early 2009 that had its servers shut down in early 2010.

You guys say that like its a disease or something. I know this is the Steam thread and all but a lot of us like Desura too.

Also 4 of the 6 games are on Greenlight.

Oh and re: free EA game. I agree with ashes. It is far from explicit that you will get to pick any EA game.

[quote name='DPsycho']A warning so nice, it's worth stating twice? ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey, you're the one who edited your post after I wrote that. :)

[quote name='Motoki']You guys say that like its a disease or something. I know this is the Steam thread and all but a lot of us like Desura too.

Also 4 of the 6 games are on Greenlight.

Oh and re: free EA game. I agree with ashes. It is far from explicit that you will get to pick any EA game.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with Desura, but IR generally offers Steam keys and there are people who seem to buy bundles to increase their Steam library. They might wants a heads up.

Deals on Desura games are relevant here, in my opinion, because Desura is for indie garbage and is not worthy of its own thread. I don't want to call this PC general but a bit of splashing of cross-side DD deals would liven the place up a lot better than BOY DID YOU GUYS SEE MY LAST DRINK PICTURE or reddit backwash or whatever else we spam in these threads.

Plus, if nobody told me Carcassonne was on GG, I would never have known about that wonderful Carcassonne PC port.

Plus, even I run Desura and Steam. I think you Steam only people can afford to splash a little extra for the rogue's gallery for games who will never pass Greenlight, like Banzai Pecan or nyu media's Japanese translated games that no longer have Crapcom's muscle publishing them

Oh RollingSkull you're just in it for Anime Shmups & Beat em Ups (Bmups?), admit it.

[quote name='louiedog']
I have no problem with Desura, but IR generally offers Steam keys and there are people who seem to buy bundles to increase their Steam library. They might wants a heads up.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, although people should, I don't know, kind of pay attention to what they're buying anyway. ;)

As GI Joe would say, Knowin is Half the Battle.

Yo Joe!

I like Desura, mainly because it does what it does extremely well. I only put the warning because this is (occasionally) the Steam thread. Before louiedog posted it as well, by the way. ;)

That some of these are on Greenlight is worth noting, as Motoki pointed out. Indie Royale has provided Steam keys for their past bundles, some way WAY past, when those games have been added to Steam.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Every time you do this I imagine that you're Steam's mother.[/QUOTE]

Haha! :lol:

Not a bad deal.[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt it. My bet is on any game from their catalogue $20 or less published by EA.

[quote name='Necrotron']
I seriously doubt it. My bet is on any game from their catalogue $20 or less published by EA.[/QUOTE]

On seeing the actual statement, I would say that bet is fairly safe.

Yeah, with it stated as a choice of game "from our portfolio" I wouldn't put it past them to offer two games from their portfolio and tell you to take your pick.

It's a nice gesture, but not one that should inspire anyone who hasn't bought SC to buy in ahead of the deadline. For those who already own SC, be glad they're trying to make amends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back