The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaOTiK']I need to get my new thread pants[/QUOTE]

Wait nobody said anything about pants in the last thread.

[quote name='travathian']We gonna start a betting pool on when the next Magicka sale will be?[/QUOTE]

After the next Alan Wake sale but before the next Serious Sam sale.

[quote name='jshackles']I just noticed that the Steam database record for Final Fantasy VII (previously listed as "Final Fantasy 7") was updated recently.

http://steamdb.info/app/39140/

Maybe it's on it's way finally?[/QUOTE]

If squeenix is smart it is. I can't imagine it sold incredible well being sold on their site alone.

A discussion about the indie titles that get discounted the most often?

I can't think of a better way to start a nice, new Steam Deals Thread.

EDIT:
[quote name='jshackles']I just noticed that the Steam database record for Final Fantasy VII (previously listed as "Final Fantasy 7") was updated recently.

I'd like to get excited, but there have been many fake-out's in the past - Ms. 'Splosion Man and the three Halo titles are good examples.

Final Fantasy VII has shown up multiple times in the Steam registry, but, admittedly, I like having the hope that it'll show up on the service. I keep debating the Square-Enix Digital Store purchase whenever FFVII goes on sale for about $6 or $7, but I can never confirm what kind of DRM the game's sporting.

They'd be nice.
Though, they really should bring it to Steam w/out any Securom bullcrap.
If FF7 Steam-version is gonna use any DRM, make it use only Steam DRM.

Max Payne 3 is quite good but the huge quantity of unskippable "loading but not really loading" cutscenes kills any sort of replayability it might have had. The plot is rancid, too.

Hamburgers

End game spoilers

Assassins Creed

Beer

Simcity

Steam alphabet

If this post gets deleted tell my wife and son I love them.

[quote name='Preedatore']Hamburgers

End game spoilers

Assassins Creed

Beer

Simcity

Steam alphabet

If this post gets deleted tell my wife and son I love them.[/QUOTE]

You did it wrong, you put the End game spoilers around a spoiler tag, so it's okay.

EDIT: Crap now I'm doomed too for quoting you.

So someone posted the Offline Sale and I flew to Steam to buy something to support the hilarity....

And it was not currently running (if it was real at all). :whistle2:(

Dammit, I wanna throw money at you Steam if you do this! I wanna make it rain (on EA's/Origin better than thou parade).

Well Steam does have that "no management" thing going on, you'd think someone woulda stepped up to the plate to stick it to EA.

[quote name='elessar123']Not a deal =(

Where are my 75% off alpacas?[/QUOTE]
I actually know a guy who breeds them a couple ranches over lol

mmmmm new thread smell

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I don't even know what to say in these threads anymore.[/QUOTE]

I think you're supposed to bitch about DRM and argue about KB/M vs. controllers.

[quote name='dfg']I think you're supposed to bitch about DRM and argue about KB/M vs. controllers.[/QUOTE]

And the Assassin's Creed series... ;)

EDIT:
[quote name='Idiotekque']
image.php
[/QUOTE]
Grumpy Cat = MY ROLE MODEL.

hey guys i bought dragonage 1 n 2 and thought ill install one and trade other for skyram so tell me which is best dragonrage game thx.

[quote name='Syntax Error']hey guys i bought dragonage 1 n 2 and thought ill install one and trade other for skyram so tell me which is best dragonrage game thx.[/QUOTE]

2 Definitely 2. Didn't you hear what Bioware said? When you push a button, something awesome happens!

[quote name='Syntax Error']hey guys i bought dragonage 1 n 2 and thought ill install one and trade other for skyram so tell me which is best dragonrage game thx.[/QUOTE]

This is the Steam Deal thread. No requests for game recommendations, Steam or otherwise, are allowed here. Please take your request here instead of giving our mods extra work. Thanks!

EA disables Cheetah speed, other features to relieve SimCity servers (updated)
Leaderboards, achievements, region filters all temporarily shut down.

UPDATE 1:57 CT: Amid the bug fixes in the latest server patch notes released by EA comes the incredibly important word that EA has "disabled Cheetah speed," the fastest simulation speed setting. Games set to Cheetah will now run at the noticeably slower Llama speed.

Presumably this is to give the servers more time to process the thousands of simultaneous city simulations that are all feeding into its global and regional networks. In any case, this is a core piece of the gameplay that's now being hampered by EA's continuing server problems; in my 16 or so hours playing the game, I'd estimate 15 or so have been spent running at Cheetah. Slowing things down, even temporarily, is likely to impact a whole lot of players negatively.

In other news, Amazon has stopped offering the PC download edition of SimCity, and is now warning shoppers that "many customers are having issues connecting to the 'SimCity' servers." on its product page, directing those concerned to EA's customer support.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Max Payne 3 is quite good but the huge quantity of unskippable "loading but not really loading" cutscenes kills any sort of replayability it might have had. The plot is rancid, too.[/QUOTE]

Is it worthy of one play through if someone has limited gaming time?

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Is it worthy of one play through if someone has limited gaming time?[/QUOTE]

If you liked the earlier games you will like this one. Personally I think its fantastic.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']If you liked the earlier games you will like this one. Personally I think its fantastic.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. I really loved Max Payne 3.

[quote name='Motoki']
And if so, wow someone is really giving Sunghost a run for his money.[/QUOTE]

*Whoosh* over your head! Be careful not to succumb to the dragonrage.

[quote name='Motoki']And if so, wow someone is really giving Sunghost a run for his money.[/QUOTE]

PenguinJim is the Randy to sunghost's Mr. Lahey.

Fact.

I can't decide if I should get Angry Birds when it's on sale at 75% off, or just assume that all of them are going to make it to Steam and a bundle will be even cheaper. They're also something that could show up in a bundle sooner or later, especially with the android bundles happening.

[quote name='asheskitty']EA disables Cheetah speed, other features to relieve SimCity servers (updated)
Leaderboards, achievements, region filters all temporarily shut down.
UPDATE 1:57 CT: Amid the bug fixes in the latest server patch notes released by EA comes the incredibly important word that EA has "disabled Cheetah speed," the fastest simulation speed setting. Games set to Cheetah will now run at the noticeably slower Llama speed.

Presumably this is to give the servers more time to process the thousands of simultaneous city simulations that are all feeding into its global and regional networks. In any case, this is a core piece of the gameplay that's now being hampered by EA's continuing server problems; in my 16 or so hours playing the game, I'd estimate 15 or so have been spent running at Cheetah. Slowing things down, even temporarily, is likely to impact a whole lot of players negatively.

In other news, Amazon has stopped offering the PC download edition of SimCity, and is now warning shoppers that "many customers are having issues connecting to the 'SimCity' servers." on its product page, directing those concerned to EA's customer support.
[/QUOTE]

I only played for a couple of hours (that's all you were allowed for the private beta) but most of that time I did spend in the Cheetah mode. It just makes the most sense with games like Sim City and The Sims to speed up time really fast until you get to the point where you can do something, otherwise it's really like watching paint dry just looking at people walk around and do mundane tasks while you can't act yet.

They really should have done a much, much wider beta test. I'm not sure how I got in, I have vague recollections of signing up for it early on, but I know there were a lot of people who wanted in the beta but were not able to get in.

It boogles my mind that with a game with this sort of infrastructure that they wouldn't do a proper stress test prior to release. They should have made a free weekend for everyone and maybe even bribed people to play with a discount or exclusive in game item or something. Really the more people they could have gotten at once to play the better. You don't just test with a small number of people and then open the floodgates to millions and expect everything will work just the same.

The other thing is it's not like EA doesn't have MMOs. They could have consulted with other divisions. Also I'm sure they were familiar with the D3 launch and what happened there. Really, I don't see how they didn't see this coming a mile away.

thesims2facepalmbyrando.jpg

[quote name='momouchi']Bundle, besides aren't they (angry birds) free on phones?[/QUOTE]

Not only that they are free on the PC too via Chrome apps.

[quote name='momouchi']Bundle, besides aren't they free on phones?[/QUOTE]

Free with ads. They cost $1 without on phones and $3 for the HD (tablet) versions.

I'd probably pick up an Angry Birds bundle. They have what, 5 of them now? So they'll probably put all 5 PC version in a bundle for around $20. If it goes on sale for 75% off I'd buy it at $5 ($1 each). I'm not a huge fan, but they're pretty fun.

This Sim City debacle is getting more and more preposterous by the day. They have a petition on Change.org to remove the DRM, with almost 35,000 "votes". EA is not providing refunds (if purchased there directly) so some users are having to resort to filing charge backs with their bank. EA has said anyone doing this will have their Origin account suspended. Terrible way to handle things, really. And as far as I know, the game is still unplayable even with the patch they put out.

They're also up to over 1,000 1-star reviews on Amazon, although Amazon has started selling the game again. The star rating for that game doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever recovering.

The sad part is, they could have avoided this whole fiasco.

[quote name='jshackles']I'd probably pick up an Angry Birds bundle. They have what, 5 of them now? So they'll probably put all 5 PC version in a bundle for around $20. If it goes on sale for 75% off I'd buy it at $5 ($1 each). I'm not a huge fan, but they're pretty fun.

This Sim City debacle is getting more and more preposterous by the day. They have a petition on Change.org to remove the DRM, with almost 35,000 "votes". EA is not providing refunds (if purchased there directly) so some users are having to resort to filing charge backs with their bank. EA has said anyone doing this will have their Origin account suspended. Terrible way to handle things, really. And as far as I know, the game is still unplayable even with the patch they put out.

The sad part is, they could have avoided this whole fiasco.[/QUOTE]

If they issued refunds with 10% off SimCity coupons I bet a lot of people would come back when everything is working. People want to play the game but are angry and frustrated right now and EA is doing nothing but making it worse. They'd probably even pick up some new customers if the headlines were, "EA issues refunds, offers discount to come back when the servers are working."

[quote name='louiedog']If they issued refunds with 10% off SimCity coupons I bet a lot of people would come back when everything is working. People want to play the game but are angry and frustrated right now and EA is doing nothing but making it worse. They'd probably even pick up some new customers if the headlines were, "EA issues refunds, offers discount to come back when the servers are working."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds good until you realize they'd probably have just enough angry customers leaving the game that when the game stabilizes in a few weeks or months and those people come streaming back in, the servers will crash again. :roll:

[quote name='jshackles']

The question is: do they care? I don't think so. This is one of the worst fiasco in years. I can't remember something THAT big. Maybe atari's E. T.? At least it was playable. Anyone remember a FAIL this big?

[quote name='juanjava']The question is: do they care? I don't think so. This is one of the worst fiasco in years. I can't remember something THAT big. Maybe atari's E. T.? At least it was playable. Anyone remember a FAIL this big?[/QUOTE]

Well we're on day 3 of neigh unplayability. So it's already a worse FAIL than Diablo III.

[quote name='jshackles']I'd probably pick up an Angry Birds bundle. They have what, 5 of them now? So they'll probably put all 5 PC version in a bundle for around $20. If it goes on sale for 75% off I'd buy it at $5 ($1 each). I'm not a huge fan, but they're pretty fun.

They're also up to over 1,000 1-star reviews on Amazon, although Amazon has started selling the game again. The star rating for that game doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever recovering.

Wait, what?? They are threatening to remove people's access to ALL their games on Origin because they want to file a chargeback on one game that isn't working as promised?

Christ, that's low even for EA. And that kind of shenanigans of threatening to yank someone's entire account access makes people understandbly skittish about using client based stores. If they want to grow Origin that is NOT the way to do it.

I mean if they sold you an XBox game and then it didn't work and you did a chargeback it's not like they can come to your house and take back ALL your XBox games, even ones that EA didn't publish (remember, Origin sells non-EA stuff too).

That's really bullshit. EA needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves.

[quote name='Motoki']Wait, what?? They are threatening to remove people's access to ALL their games on Origin because they want to file a chargeback on one game that isn't working as promised?

Christ, that's low even for EA. And that kind of shenanigans of threatening to yank someone's entire account access makes people understandbly skittish about using client based stores. If they want to grow Origin that is NOT the way to do it.

I mean if they sold you an XBox game and then it didn't work and you did a chargeback it's not like they can come to your house and take back ALL your XBox games, even ones that EA didn't publish (remember, Origin sells non-EA stuff too).

That's really bullshit. EA needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's exactly right. See here:

Tw82ymU.jpg

TL;DR version - person contacts EA support for a refund for SimCity, is denied, he says he'll work it out with the bank, and EA support say if he does his account will be banned.

See, I've always scoffed at the people who were suspicious of digital downloads and thought they were paranoid, but that sort of thing pretty much vindicates all their fears.

Okay, this is overblown again.

This is not EA saying this to the entire user base. This is one CSR quoting company policy about the purchase of digital games.

We've seen EA allow people to keep accounts consisting entirely of free games so I don't really think anyone has a risk of losing their origin account.

To be fair, Valve will also ban you for chargebacks, unless their policy changed (and I don't see why it would). That said, Valve also offered refunds on the only game I can remember launching on Steam that didn't work or was not as promised (WarZ).

[quote name='Genocidal']To be fair, Valve will also ban you for chargebacks, unless their policy changed (and I don't see why it would). That said, Valve also offered refunds on the only game I can remember launching on Steam that didn't work or was not as promised (WarZ).[/QUOTE]

Exactly, that's pretty much standard if you're going to proceed with a chargeback. You risk getting your account banned, nearly anywhere.. I can understand the guy's frustration, but that's not something only EA would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back