Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5589 replies to this topic

#1501 Neuropod

Neuropod

Fine work, skeleton!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

Ohhh god I have have taken on the task of beating my backlog of games...In alphabetical Order. Wish me LUCK!

Yeah I'm sorta trying that too. I'm...I'm still on Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! For the Awesome. :lol:

Spoiler

Also, I can't stand how Steam correctly alphabetizes games starting with "the" but not "a". Like A Game of Dwarves or A Virus Named Tom. Grr!

#1502 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

i wish. i don't think IX was the best, but i liked it better than VII and VIII. the weapon/skill learning system that they ended up copying in Tactics Advance was cool.

I've always loved VIII for trying a lot of new things, even if in practice they often failed, or at least failed as systems in the sense of how people generally expect RPG systems to work. And that card game. I would buy that card game as a standalone game, probably.

I don't know why all the hate for IX exists. I thought the fun tone of the story was a nice step back after the rising angst of VII and VIII, and the magic learning system is really fantastic. It made grinding seem a lot more fulfilling and made items a lot more useful than the usual role of vendor-junk as soon as you come across a new class of armor/weapon.

#1503 Latex Robot

Latex Robot

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

I've always loved VIII for trying a lot of new things, even if in practice they often failed, or at least failed as systems in the sense of how people generally expect RPG systems to work. And that card game. I would buy that card game as a standalone game, probably.

I don't know why all the hate for IX exists. I thought the fun tone of the story was a nice step back after the rising angst of VII and VIII, and the magic learning system is really fantastic. It made grinding seem a lot more fulfilling and made items a lot more useful than the usual role of vendor-junk as soon as you come across a new class of armor/weapon.

i just remember choosing the best people to go on that one mission.. and then when the leftover party members made up their own team in that castle, they were too weak for me to get any further, so my entire game of 50+ hours was ruined and i stupidly didnt have a previous save.

otherwise i love the game, lol.

#1504 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

Same here.
Actually, the first RPG that I played - Dragon Warrior on the NES.

EDIT:
Regardless, I'd love to see EVERY Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy hit the PC. :D

I got Dragon Warrior for free with my Nintendo Power subscription. It was easily one of the top Nintendo games I've played. I still have that and Final Fantasy stashed away at my parent's house. My favorite of that series was Dragon Warrior 4.

#1505 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

If I buy the Mass Effect DLC Pinnacle Station while it's on sale over on Origin, is there any way that I could get that to work in my Steam version of the game?

If the answer is no and the Origin version wont work, is there any other way to get that DLC on my steam version? Buying through the BioWare site, maybe?

So on the recommendation of a few posters here, I bought this DLC. I can verify that it is possible to get the DLC to apply to a copy on Steam. Other than downloading the installer through Origin, I didn't even have to jump though any hoops to get it to work. Once the download finished, I selected "Install" and it automatically applied the DLC to the Steamapps folder.

I actually had more trouble getting the darn game to launch than I did applying the DLC. Apparently you need to run steam as an administrator to get Mass Effect to launch if you're running Windows 7. After about 15 minutes of trying to get the darn thing to launch, I followed the instructions given in this thread and I finally got it up & running.

#1506 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

this a not a deal or related to steam at all but since there isn't a thread to discuss it (that I know of) and since this particular thread is the most active in the deals section, I thought I'd give you a heads up. Newegg just sent me an email for a survey, if you take five minutes to complete it they will give you a $10 gift card or a 8GB USB3.0 flash drive for your input

Spoiler

I'm not sure what it takes to be considered a "valued customer" but I did spend a lot of money on newegg a couple of years ago when I built my first gaming rig and again last year when I built a second gaming pc for my brother. So anyways, be on the lookout for this email if you shop from newegg regularly.

hmm, didn't get one and I order a couple parts from them every week. :cry:

I got Dragon Warrior for free with my Nintendo Power subscription. It was easily one of the top Nintendo games I've played. I still have that and Final Fantasy stashed away at my parent's house. My favorite of that series was Dragon Warrior 4.

I played the crap out of Dragon Warrior. Nothing like killing Slime. ;)

Posted Image
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#1507 Mighty Tor

Mighty Tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

i wish. i don't think IX was the best, but i liked it better than VII and VIII. the weapon/skill learning system that they ended up copying in Tactics Advance was cool.

IX is easily my favorite of the PSX era. I fully agree with enjoying the skill management as it gave a little bit of strategy of what gear to equip, possibly sacrificing raw stats for a better skill. Also and most importantly Amano >>>>>>>> Nomura. Sure the character designs weren't always translated perfectly, but you look at his art for Steiner, awesome, but even the worst version of his designs weren't covered in unnecessary belts/buckles and short pants.

To me, IX was a tribute to everything that had made I-VI excellent and while there were admittedly short comings, I loved every bit of it and it's the only of the PSX releases I'd consider replaying (tactics not withstanding). I still can't force myself any distance into disc 2 of FFVIII and I've tried several different times.

I already had DW1 when I got the free Nintendo Power copy so I still have it sealed in a box somewhere hoping one day it'll be worth something, but doubting it. Still, looooove the DQ series. Playing through the DS remake of V now. The series is absolute RPG comfort food. I really enjoy what I consider the world driven stories of DQ as opposed to the character driven stories of say Final Fantasy. I feel a little more caught in the adventure of what's going on in the world around me, as opposed to following some angsty teen as he mopes through military school (yeah I'm going to pick on FFVIII).

Think my favorite DQ is still 7, the only console RPG I've ever put anything close to 75 hours into and I still didn't do nearly everything there was to do in that game. Once I finish up V and run through VI I really need to get back to DQ VIII, that game looks amazing emulated in high resolution, easily on par with current gen stuff.

#1508 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

IX is easily my favorite of the PSX era. I fully agree with enjoying the skill management as it gave a little bit of strategy of what gear to equip, possibly sacrificing raw stats for a better skill. Also and most importantly Amano >>>>>>>> Nomura. Sure the character designs weren't always translated perfectly, but you look at his art for Steiner, awesome, but even the worst version of his designs weren't covered in unnecessary belts/buckles and short pants.

To me, IX was a tribute to everything that had made I-VI excellent and while there were admittedly short comings, I loved every bit of it and it's the only of the PSX releases I'd consider replaying (tactics not withstanding). I still can't force myself any distance into disc 2 of FFVIII and I've tried several different times.

I'd totally forgotten how relatively reserved the character designs in IX were.

They pretty much stop at bandanas, gloves and blindfolds when it comes to accessories.

#1509 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hm, Antichamber is 40% off for $11.99. I think that's the lowest it's been on Steam. Worth it or wait for a bundle?
Posted Image

#1510 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

Hm, Antichamber is 40% off for $11.99. I think that's the lowest it's been on Steam. Worth it or wait for a bundle?

True CAGs never buy Steam games at 40% off.

#1511 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Your CAG badge, hand it over [-(

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#1512 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

I may see if hubby wants Spellforce.

I would love to see my own wife typing those words. Damn.

Picked up the complete Groupee's bundle, stellar deal.

Also I saw that achievements were added to Final Fantasy VII and VIII (!) on Steam:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

Can't wait.

omg spoilers :lol: Don't click on those achievement lists if you are the one person who has never played FFVII and plan to do so one day.

76561197971332172.png

#1513 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Your CAG badge, hand it over [-(

They're a Mac user, they are used to overpaying for things, cut em some slack!

#1514 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

Haha, thanks for keeping me sane guys. Waiting for the bundle or the 75% off sale :)
(I've never had any Macs... the nickname is an inside joke)
Posted Image

#1515 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

omg spoilers :lol: Don't click on those achievement lists if you are the one person who has never played FFVII and plan to do so one day.

Why would anyone ever name an achievement like that? I am assuming it would be locked for hidden although I am unsure of whether or not those exist on steam. But still WHY!?!?!?

i just remember choosing the best people to go on that one mission.. and then when the leftover party members made up their own team in that castle, they were too weak for me to get any further, so my entire game of 50+ hours was ruined and i stupidly didnt have a previous save.

otherwise i love the game, lol.

I cannot stand when games did this, and still do this although it is far less frequently, and it has happened far too often. This is definitely why I liked FFX so much. On the one hand I don't think they ever split the party in half, but also because of the ability to swap teammates in and out of the fight so they can gain exp.

#1516 Latex Robot

Latex Robot

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:21 AM

I cannot stand when games did this, and still do this although it is far less frequently, and it has happened far too often. This is definitely why I liked FFX so much. On the one hand I don't think they ever split the party in half, but also because of the ability to swap teammates in and out of the fight so they can gain exp.

well.. had i known the members you didn't choose would be used on their own, i would've split the party up better. unfortunately the party members you don't choose are captured or something, so it's kinda impossible to know on your first playthrough.

sadly it was super far into the game. pretty much 50+ hours of game time wasted. :cry:

#1517 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:22 AM

IGN's review for Bioshock: Infinite is up.
9.5 on PC; 9.4 on consoles.

My God - supposedly, the game has costed over $100 million to develop; and another $100 million for marketing.
So that's at least over $200 million total here...

#1518 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

My God - supposedly, the game has costed over $100 million to develop; and another $100 million for marketing.

I can't wait to get it during the Summer or Winter Sale! haha

#1519 XIGRIMxREAPERIX

XIGRIMxREAPERIX

Insomniac

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

Now I just need to choose who to give my money to. GMG or Amazon.
Posted Image

#1520 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

well.. had i known the members you didn't choose would be used on their own, i would've split the party up better. unfortunately the party members you don't choose are captured or something, so it's kinda impossible to know on your first playthrough.

sadly it was super far into the game. pretty much 50+ hours of game time wasted. :cry:

Don't worry I know the pain. They split the party in Kotor 2 and my 2nd team could never win their very first fight and I think it was my only save.... I have never returned to the game.

#1521 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:31 AM

Ken Levine's response to the $200M figure:

Ken Levine Verified account
‏@IGLevine
200 million for Infinite? Did someone send some checks to the wrong address? #unnamedanalyst
9:22 PM - 21 Mar 13

‏@IGLevine
Analyst: @IGLevine 's American girl doll collection cost 200 million.
11:55 PM - 21 Mar 13

#1522 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

I can't wait till AMD sends me my steam code. :bouncy:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1523 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

So... Looks like I ought to get around to finishing Bioshock 1, right?

#1524 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

So... Looks like I ought to get around to finishing Bioshock 1, right?

Good idea (about Bioshock 1).

But right now, also keep in mind, IGN's got the only review up...

#1525 seamoss

seamoss

CAGadversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

But right now, also keep in mind, IGN's got the only review up...

And IGN have always been a little too, erm, generous with their reviews.
Still, I doubt it'll be anywhere near a bad game.

#1526 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

‏@IGLevine
200 million for Infinite? Did someone send some checks to the wrong address?

They were sent directly from 2K/Take 2 to marketing firms, cable networks, and game 'journalist' payoffs so it wouldn't surprise me if he never saw them~

#1527 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

They were sent directly from 2K/Take 2 to marketing firms, cable networks, and game 'journalist' payoffs so it wouldn't surprise me if he never saw them~

:roll:

#1528 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

I played the shit out of FF7 when I was younger. Went through it again in 2006 instead of playing any of the latter games in the series. I tried playing through FF8 in 2010, but I was in a serious relationship and didn't have much gaming time. Not that I do now, being single. But anyway, that is a terrible achievement. It's part of the story, on the first disc (PSX standards), why does it need an achievement?! Another note, unless they fixed the coding, is that occasionally you can't unlock the final Limit Break. Each requires a certain number of kills and times used. On my first playthrough, Tifa's LB glitched at L2 and I couldn't get anything after that.

For those who are afraid to look,
Spoiler

#1529 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

:roll:

:oldman:

#1530 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted