2008-09 NHL Thread - Stanley Cup Finals begin May 30!!!

[quote name='dafoomie']Made it to the game, ended up finding a scalper asking for face value, and I sat in the seats I lost. Game of the year, I'll have a video later.[/QUOTE]

At least that worked out for you.

Whatever... :roll:

No reason to complain, Sharks are in the playoffs. I can't say that about my Coyotes. Sucks, because this year looked really promising until they went on a huge losing streak after the All-Star break.

...next season ? :lol:

Chicago and Detroit ought to be a great fucking game.

Edit: Lame... can't watch it on ATDHE.Net.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a fun weekend for me. I got to see the Reign's first 2 Kelly Cup playoff games last night and tonight, and I got to see the Kings beat the Sharks (and listen to the suffering of all the Sharks fans who came down to Staples) this past afternoon. I'm happy.

[quote name='IceSharktank']Nice to see we have a hockey thread. By the way, can anyone say President's Trophy?[/quote]

Can you say out by round 2?

[quote name='Matt Young']This was a fun weekend for me. I got to see the Reign's first 2 Kelly Cup playoff games last night and tonight, and I got to see the Kings beat the Sharks (and listen to the suffering of all the Sharks fans who came down to Staples) this past afternoon. I'm happy.[/quote]

Yeah, good effort by the kings. If the Kings played normally like they played against us they might end a season above .500 one of these days. Dobtful though :lol:

[quote name='KingBroly']Can you say out by round 2?[/quote]

Let's see them try :applause:

[quote name='dafoomie']Bruins-Canadiens in the 1st round, going to be a great series. Short, but great.[/quote]
That what everyone thought lasy year when Canadians were 1st and Bruins 8th. It ended up going to 7 games.

That also happened a couple years back, the year when Carolina won the cup, when Bruins were also in 1st and Habs in 8th. I believe that one also went to 7 games, the Habs winning the series after being down 3 games to 1.

The great thing about this matchup is it's never as easy as you think it will be. Honestly though, I don't think the above trend will continue this year. Maybe if Markov wasn't injured and I'm not sure Schneider is 100%.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']That what everyone thought lasy year when Canadians were 1st and Bruins 8th. It ended up going to 7 games.

That also happened a couple years back, the year when Carolina won the cup, when Bruins were also in 1st and Habs in 8th. I believe that one also went to 7 games, the Habs winning the series after being down 3 games to 1.

The great thing about this matchup is it's never as easy as you think it will be. Honestly though, I don't think the above trend will continue this year. Maybe if Markov wasn't injured and I'm not sure Schneider is 100%.[/QUOTE]
Schneider has a torn rotator cuff, but he's fighting through it like a champ.

I think it'll go 5 or 6 games. In 04, Joe Thornton had been injured a week before the playoffs and had 0 points in 7 games (i.e. the Full Thornton), the top line carried their offense and losing him was a huge blow. Last year, Montreal was better and the Bruins weren't as good, and the Bruins still almost beat them. I don't think the Habs are built for playoff hockey, they're a finesse team and nobody but Kostopoulos does any of the dirty work in the corners or in front of the net. I'd give them a fair chance against Washington with their goaltending, but I think the Bruins are too big, too physical, and too deep. Depth is where Montreal always killed us.

Are they getting Markov back in time to help them? The Bruins rested Wideman and still beat them on the 9th.

Wings are going into the post season on a crap streak, but oh well. Hossa and more importantly Lidstrom were out for the last game of the season. If Stuart and Knowall can step it up like last playoffs I think the Wings can go pretty deep. If the Wings continue with the give a ways in the defensive zone its going to be a short run. They have no excuses for the first round. Basically no travel and playing a team thats into the post season for the first time.

Oh and if Andy Murray doesn't win coach of the year it will be a crime.

Prediction time?

East
1. Boston vs 8. Montreal - Boston in 6
2. Washington vs 7. New York Rangers - Washington in 4
3. New Jersey vs 6. Carolina - Carolina in 6
4. Pittsburgh vs. 5. Philadelphia - Pittsburgh in 5

West
1. San Jose vs 8. Anaheim - San Jose in 5
2. Detroit vs 7 Columbus - Detroit in 7
3. Vancouver vs 6. St. Louis - St. Louis in 6
4. Chicago vs 5. Calgary - Chicago in 6

Not too many crazy picks, but I have both #6s advancing.

I just care about my Wings. They will win in 5. I think Columbus will be startled by their first appearance in the playoffs.

I don't trust the Wings goalies at all. Osgood just hasn't played well all season, so we'll see if he can turn it on in the playoffs (unless they go with Conklin, who hasn't been playing much better). I think the Blue Jackets are a very solid team and keep this series very close.

Anyone remember this?

[quote name='siderealshift']ESPN The Magazine graded every team, and only two got an 'A+' mark: Dallas and Detroit. I know these rankings don't mean dick, but that Dallas grade really surprised me. When you think about it, though, it kind of makes sense: They have a bunch of young guys this year, plus most of the good players from last year, and enough cap space to conceivably pick up someone else down the road. Should be interesting to see how well they do, especially since they're in the same division as the Sharks and the Ducks.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess Dallas could have been a good team, had it not been for:

1. Season-ending injury to Morrow.
2. Season-ending injury to Zubov.
3. Brad Richards breaking both arms.
4. The Sean Avery fiasco.
5a. Turco's inconsistency.
5b. Terrible back-up support for Turco.

Frankly, I'm impressed that they were able to do somewhat respectably well, given the above. Eh, that's OK. I'm going to enjoy the playoffs either way... particularly if the Sharks tank in the first round. :lol:

Go go NHL Center Ice!

Dallas' performance this season was not something you could call respectable. They had a season very similar to every team that tanked the playoff race and their #s prove it. I for one wish them and welcome an extended state of mediocrety for their club.

Thought this was pretty funny.

bluejacketsanimation.gif

[quote name='VipFREAK']Oh NOW... everyone shows up in this thread. Lame.[/quote]
Wouldn't be surprised if they were all Shark fans "since they can remember watching hockey".

Nice game 1 win by my boys. Worked through the penalty fest first with Osgood playing very well then along with a couple bounces took control. Despite the score Steve Mason played well.

Yeah it's really not a suprise the Ducks won game 1. The ducks have a great defense & Hiller played lights out. Ducks were hot going in to the post season. Sharks even down a game still are very capable of ripping off a bunch of wins in a row. Going to be a long tough series.

[quote name='yukine']I thought so as well, until I saw Upshall play. I do miss the edge that Carcillo gave the Coyotes, but we need more than that.[/quote]

Which spot do they currently have in the draft order?

[quote name='shieryda']Carcillo's getting suspended (possibly):

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=275244

I still think that Phoenix was silly to trade him.[/quote]

I still think Pittsburgh was silly to trade him to Phoenix in the first place for Laraque. I like Georges, but he was kinda useless in many situations, because not too many people would go with him. Although, I'm loving Goddard...

Back to Carcillo, I missed the cheapshot initially, and they didn't replay it on the scoreboard. I was too busy watching the dirtiest player in the league (Hartnell) to see what his dumb ass was going to do.

Can't wait for tonight...

[quote name='Ronin317']I still think Pittsburgh was silly to trade him to Phoenix in the first place for Laraque. I like Georges, but he was kinda useless in many situations, because not too many people would go with him. Although, I'm loving Goddard...

Back to Carcillo, I missed the cheapshot initially, and they didn't replay it on the scoreboard. I was too busy watching the dirtiest player in the league (Hartnell) to see what his dumb ass was going to do.

Can't wait for tonight...[/quote]

Laraque is a "smart" enforcer. Carcillo, on the other hand, is not.

Umm... yeah, haven't had net for 2 days. yay. Oh yeah. Sharts FTL! :roll:

I told my dad and sis they should sell their playoff tickets now while they still can...

[quote name='Canadian_Man']Wouldn't be surprised if they were all Shark fans "since they can remember watching hockey".[/quote]

lol, check the total posts in this thread from when it was started and get back to me... thanks.

Great game last night, as usual. Barely any Habs fans there, I don't think they're confident enough in their team to shell out the cash this time around.

bread's done
Back