[adult swim thread]

[quote name='evilmax17']When does Boondocks premiere?[/QUOTE]
Nov. 6th, I think.

Speaking of news shows, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil premieres this sunday, the 30th, and there's a preview clip on adultswim.com. They've got a pretty cool art style for this show. I hope it's as cool as it looks.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Nov. 6th, I think.

Speaking of news shows, Lucy, Daughter of the Devil premieres this sunday, the 30th, and there's a preview clip on adultswim.com. They've got a pretty cool art style for this show. I hope it's as cool as it looks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just saw the Lucy clip. The artstyle is nice IMO. Different without being half-assed. I like the art of the Boondocks too. I just wonder how the content will be. I am not big on racial humor unless it is done right (Chris Rock does it as well as anyone IMO).

[quote name='GuilewasNK']BTW, is it just me or are the [adultswim] messageboards gone? I wanna see what other people think of 12 oz. mouse.[/QUOTE]
When I went there after the pilot, it seemed almost half and half with some liking it and others hating it with maybe a little more on the hating side. It seems like something is up since it goes back to the homepage when I try to go to the boards.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']When I went there after the pilot, it seemed almost half and half with some liking it and others hating it with maybe a little more on the hating side. It seems like something is up since it goes back to the homepage when I try to go to the boards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe they are getting more hate for their new shows than they thought they would.

On a semi-tangental subject: does anyone known when they put up the ratings? I'm looking to see what the top 3 shows were for saturday.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I am not big on racial humor unless it is done right (Chris Rock does it as well as anyone IMO).[/QUOTE]

Having only seen two episodes, your like or dislike (or the ability to find humor or be irked by) The Boondocks depends on what you think of the comic strip. It seems to me that it's very close to the comic, and somewhat edgier, given the late night cable slot.

My local paper dropped The Boondocks a few years ago b/c of the ire of a few righteous conservative shitheads, so I gave up reading the funny pages entirely. I'm glad to see the show on the air, and I enjoy it.

I admit I don't watch much adult swim (I do tivo Naruto and One Piece, though I rarely watch them). It seems to me, however, that most of the content on AS is adult-oriented "dumb" humor. At the risk of sounding condescending, shows on AS don't strike me as a more intellectual kind of humor, or, rather, a dry kind of humor. The shows tend to be loud and absurd (a talking meatball, for instance). I don't want to get flamed for saying that; the only reason I mention it is because The Boondocks doesn't, to me, fit into the whole scheme of what Adult Swim is (other than its "adult" content). It gives you that Sesame Street "One of these things is not like the other" feeling, you know?

Seeing the black intellectuals protesting R. Kelly's guilt was genius; the one in the middle was clearly modeled after Cornell West, but I'm not certain who the other two were intended to be.

[quote name='mykevermin']Having only seen two episodes, your like or dislike (or the ability to find humor or be irked by) The Boondocks depends on what you think of the comic strip. It seems to me that it's very close to the comic, and somewhat edgier, given the late night cable slot.

My local paper dropped The Boondocks a few years ago b/c of the ire of a few righteous conservative shitheads, so I gave up reading the funny pages entirely. I'm glad to see the show on the air, and I enjoy it.

I admit I don't watch much adult swim (I do tivo Naruto and One Piece, though I rarely watch them). It seems to me, however, that most of the content on AS is adult-oriented "dumb" humor. At the risk of sounding condescending, shows on AS don't strike me as a more intellectual kind of humor, or, rather, a dry kind of humor. The shows tend to be loud and absurd (a talking meatball, for instance). I don't want to get flamed for saying that; the only reason I mention it is because The Boondocks doesn't, to me, fit into the whole scheme of what Adult Swim is (other than its "adult" content). It gives you that Sesame Street "One of these things is not like the other" feeling, you know?

Seeing the black intellectuals protesting R. Kelly's guilt was genius; the one in the middle was clearly modeled after Cornell West, but I'm not certain who the other two were intended to be.[/QUOTE]

I think that is why so many people are tuning in. Most shows on AS (by Williams Street) sound like they were written in five minutes. ATHF is the one I enjoy the most simply because of the interaction between the characters moreso than the writing. It reminds me of the Three Stooges in that you have the bully, the straight man, and the clown. The Boondocks is very funny IMO. The only problem I have with it is the incessant use of the n-word. I honestly thought I would see animated boobs on AS before I would hear that. However, I am entertained by what I have seen so far and the show looks great.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']However, I am entertained by what I have seen so far and the show looks great.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely loved the bit with the shotgun and the flak jacket, Scarface reference and all. :D

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think that is why so many people are tuning in. Most shows on AS (by Williams Street) sound like they were written in five minutes. ATHF is the one I enjoy the most simply because of the interaction between the characters moreso than the writing. It reminds me of the Three Stooges in that you have the bully, the straight man, and the clown. The Boondocks is very funny IMO. The only problem I have with it is the incessant use of the n-word. I honestly thought I would see animated boobs on AS before I would hear that. However, I am entertained by what I have seen so far and the show looks great.[/QUOTE]

That could also be a description of Boondocks as well. There's the politically militant Huey (bully), an exasperated Granddad dealin' w/ 2 snot-nosed kids (straight man), and the gangsta wannabe lookin' for the R Kelly pissin' tape Riley (clown).

I think the usage of the n-word 'can' be appropriate within the context of the show. That's a loaded statement, of course. I say it 'can' in that you can't deny its usage in modern black culture especially by young black males as term of mock endearment/pure mockery toward each other. It's that whole "if a black person said it, it's ok" kind of thing. I don't personally agree but in terms of context for the intented audience and how it's used in the show, I think it fits. Aaron McGruder knows his pop culture as well as its hypocrisies (as evidenced by the R Kelly episode) so it isn't that far-fetched to hear the n-word used by black people with such derision like "N****, please!"

I will contest that I thought some of the jokes weren't original. One of them was straight lifted from Chris Rock: "He speaks so well! He's so well-spoken!" but then again, McGruder IS a friend of Chris Rock so who knows where the joke originated anyway?

boondocks was a breath of fresh air for adultswim. adam west was hilarious in that last episode.i dont really like their new shows like squidbillies or 12 ounce mouse. is the voice for the grandpa done by ice cubes dad from friday?

[quote name='2poor']boondocks was a breath of fresh air for adultswim. adam west was hilarious in that last episode.i dont really like their new shows like squidbillies or 12 ounce mouse. is the voice for the grandpa done by ice cubes dad from friday?[/QUOTE]

Yup, John Witherspoon.

IMDB

I noticed that, for the third week in a row, The Boondocks was only ~22 minutes long, and it was over by 25 after the hour. Are all adult swim cartoons relatively short? I know some, such as Robot Chicken, are around 8-12 minutes; is this typical?

Adult Swim visited the bars of my school as part of their 04-05 "pub crawl". As such, I have a bunch of adult swim crap. 2 shirts, a messenger bag, cups, a frisbees a meatwad volleyball (which my fucking roommate stole last year), meatwad stress ball, posters and maybe one or two other pieces of paraphenalia. The messenger bag was probably the best one. Whenever the reps came to the bar I would always bug them for a bag until they finally gave me one (probably to shut me up).

Anyone else go to one of those Pub Crawls?

[quote name='mykevermin']I noticed that, for the third week in a row, The Boondocks was only ~22 minutes long, and it was over by 25 after the hour. Are all adult swim cartoons relatively short? I know some, such as Robot Chicken, are around 8-12 minutes; is this typical?[/QUOTE]

Unlike other networks, adult swim only has one comercial break for shows that are an half hour long. I think this is so they don't have to interupt their 15 minute shows, and they just carry the format to half hour shows as well. Other networks will have 2 or 3 comercial breaks after the show starts, which will generally separate the show into 3 acts, so they feel longer.

Personally, I like this methoed, becasue you get more show all at once, rather than interupting the flow.

yes, like other have said adult swim has gotten alittle err... the old shows were awesome... but now i dont watch it much anymore... The Boondocks looks pretty funny... i may start watching it... now i watch The Anime Network... its good.

The new Stroker and Hoop was pretty good. I look forward to some more new episodes for that show. The Boondocks has been surprisingly funny as well.

I have loved Adult Swim for so long now. But 12 oz mouse has almot ruined the whole thing for me. It puts such a bad taste in my mouth that I dont want to watch other things. I think that cartoon is hideous and does not have a shred of humor in it.
Ok, I am going to step off the ol soapbox now.

[quote name='markholladay']I have loved Adult Swim for so long now. But 12 oz mouse has almot ruined the whole thing for me. It puts such a bad taste in my mouth that I dont want to watch other things. I think that cartoon is hideous and does not have a shred of humor in it.
Ok, I am going to step off the ol soapbox now.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, most people feel that way about it.

I like Stroker and Hoop too. Good show.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Is The Venture Brothers totall over?[/QUOTE]

I think they are working on a new season. Great show also.

I need to download the Stroker and Hoop theme song.

I was singing the last part to day.

Stroker and Hoop, *Hoop*
Stickin' it to the man.
Stick it to the woman too.
Fightin' for the right to love.
They want to make love to you!

But not the Man!

I really enjoyed the first episode of the 2nd season of Ghost in the Shell I saw last Saturday. I'm glad them managed to pick this series up.

[quote name='cletus']I really enjoyed the first episode of the 2nd season of Ghost in the Shell I saw last Saturday. I'm glad them managed to pick this series up.[/QUOTE]
The new intro will take some time to get used to though

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Holy crap @ the next Boondocks preview looking like a fight scene out of Samurai Champloo![/QUOTE]

Actually I thought that was kinda lame, it was sort of the "hey look at us we're ripping off anime" idea that so many American animated shows use now and is seemingly even more out of place and unoriginal in this instance. At least the animation looked kinda good I suppose.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually I thought that was kinda lame, it was sort of the "hey look at us we're ripping off anime" idea that so many American animated shows use now and is seemingly even more out of place and unoriginal in this instance. At least the animation looked kinda good I suppose.[/QUOTE]

I tend to look at as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In general there are a few shows that borrow some stylized animation techniques but the storytelling is still western-style. No long winded speeches between the bad guys and good guys, that sort of thing. Besides, most American or Japanese cartoons are animated in Korea regardless of the art style used. After seeing the less than half-assed attempt at animation from 12 oz. mouse, I am glad that someone saw fit to put more effort in the Boondocks by emulating a worthy art style.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually I thought that was kinda lame, it was sort of the "hey look at us we're ripping off anime" idea that so many American animated shows use now and is seemingly even more out of place and unoriginal in this instance. At least the animation looked kinda good I suppose.[/QUOTE]
Why did they have to "rip off" the Samurai Champloo style? They aren't allowed to make a nod to a cool show and style? They seem to show that they're fans of the show from the intro, as well.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I tend to look at as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. In general there are a few shows that borrow some stylized animation techniques but the storytelling is still western-style. No long winded speeches between the bad guys and good guys, that sort of thing. Besides, most American or Japanese cartoons are animated in Korea regardless of the art style used. After seeing the less than half-assed attempt at animation from 12 oz. mouse, I am glad that someone saw fit to put more effort in the Boondocks by emulating a worthy art style.[/QUOTE]

What about dressing Huey up as a Samurai and placing him in what's apparently Feudal Japan is westernized? 12 oz mouse is an abomination to both God and Man, however other American shows like Teen Titans imitate foreign animation styles well too, but for some reason people actually criticize the show for it. For some reason I can't understand, Boondocks is able to get away with it, perhaps that's largely because the average person watching the doesn't realize it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why did they have to "rip off" the Samurai Champloo style? They aren't allowed to make a nod to a cool show and style? They seem to show that they're fans of the show from the intro, as well.[/QUOTE]

I never said they aren't allowed to do anything, but it's being billed and marketed as this hip, original, controversial show. When you start placing in things that are out of context replicating the *exact* manner and form of another show, you are not being hip or original. Things need their own flavor exclusive to the show. If it was a parody of sorts I could understand, but that fight sequence looked like something they took straight out of Kenshin. I maybe too jugdemental about all this though seeing as how I don't know the exact context they are going to use it in.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I never said they aren't allowed to do anything, but it's being billed and marketed as this hip, original, controversial show. When you start placing in things that are out of context replicating the *exact* manner and form of another show, you are not being hip or original. Things need their own flavor exclusive to the show. If it was a parody of sorts I could understand, but that fight sequence looked like something they took straight out of Kenshin. I maybe too jugdemental about all this though seeing as how I don't know the exact context they are going to use it in.[/QUOTE]
"The Boondocks is a provocative family-based comedy brimming with social relevance and satire."

I didn't see much of anything that said the show was original, just mostly controversial with the social and racial commentary and satire thrown in.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']What about dressing Huey up as a Samurai and placing him in what's apparently Feudal Japan is westernized? 12 oz mouse is an abomination to both God and Man, however other American shows like Teen Titans imitate foreign animation styles well too, but for some reason people actually criticize the show for it. For some reason I can't understand, Boondocks is able to get away with it, perhaps that's largely because the average person watching the doesn't realize it.

[/QUOTE]

What about the creators of Samurai Champloo having a rapping Samurai in the Edo period? The are borrowing from hip-hop from the USA. They westernized some parts of the show themselves. How about FLCL copying the look of South Park for a part of its show?

The only time I have seen Teen Titans criticized is from loyal fans of the comic. I can understand that to an extent because the characters look nothing like the comic. Bruce Timm made it work with Batman, Batman Beyond, and JLU (minus the over-exaggerated expressions) though so I think it isn't as large an issue as it could be.

It's animation. It's good. Who the hell cares what style of animation it is as long as it's good? It's just the animator's personal preference on how he draws his own characters.

This kind of argument reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke. "You know, if I came out with a new kind of potato chip and put it in a can everyone would be saying that I'm ripping off Pringles. But what if I put it in a bag?"

I'm hoping the Boondocks will grow on me despite the animation (I'm no fan of anime). I'm also working hard to get over the boys' voices sounding much more like an adult woman rather than a boy. I've always like the strip and the show has been pretty good so far.

I love Squidbillies and I swear people like that live around here (with fewer tentacles).

Venture Bros. rocks and I can't wait for new eps.

Aqua Teens always makes me laugh as well as Harvey Birdman and Robot Chicken.

I wouldn't shed a single tear if Family Guy, American Dad, 12 oz. Mouse, and Tom Goes to the Mayor never saw the light of day again.

[quote name='MrBadExample']
I love Squidbillies and I swear people like that live around here (with fewer tentacles).

[/QUOTE]

I can verify that statement. :lol:

Good news! If you saw some of the bumps on tonight's AS, then you saw that Moral Orel will be debuting on Dec. 13 & 14 at Midnight. It's a little late (originally scheduled for Oct.), but I can't wait for this show to finally arrive.

What's up with the ATHF commercials for the new eps calling them POS and all that crap? I'm guessing they're trying to psyche out people by calling it crap si they'll tune in to see how shitty it is. Though only having three new eps. is kind of disappointing to see.

Has anybody been checking out the Friday Night Fix offerings on their website? How's the quality of the video and feed?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Good news! If you saw some of the bumps on tonight's AS, then you saw that Moral Orel will be debuting on Dec. 13 & 14 at Midnight. It's a little late (originally scheduled for Oct.), but I can't wait for this show to finally arrive.

What's up with the ATHF commercials for the new eps calling them POS and all that crap? I'm guessing they're trying to psyche out people by calling it crap si they'll tune in to see how shitty it is. Though only having three new eps. is kind of disappointing to see.

Has anybody been checking out the Friday Night Fix offerings on their website? How's the quality of the video and feed?[/QUOTE]

I wanted to check it out but I fell asleep Friday night. I fell asleep before the Boondocks came on last night too. :bomb:

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Good news! If you saw some of the bumps on tonight's AS, then you saw that Moral Orel will be debuting on Dec. 13 & 14 at Midnight. It's a little late (originally scheduled for Oct.), but I can't wait for this show to finally arrive.

[/QUOTE]

On a Tuesday and Wednesday, that's odd. I looked ahead on the website's schedule last thursday and never saw it. BUt I'm pretty sure that thing is never very accurate more than a week in advance.

At least I certainly hope not because if you look at the lineup for Satruday the 10th the only anime shows are there are S-cry-ed, FMA and Evagelion all with changed time slots. I figure that's gotta be wrong though because both 2nd gig and Samurai Champloo aren't there.

Well, I love Boondocks. Madly. The animation isn't that great (we're on the fourth episode and I can already see it going a little downhill, especially if you compare Ruckus in the fourth ep to the first, it's dangerously noticeable), and I'm not one to agree that anime is a worthy style to rip off (since it's been done to death lately), but it really gets the job done. Additionally it's not just blatent social commentary imho. The two kids do a great job of contrasting each other and still voicing valid opinions, without being so overdrawn and melodramatic about it that it drones away endlessly.

The opening is pretty good. A huge ripoff Cowboy Bebop but I can let that slide. The Samurai Champloo nods are apparent also.

My honest qualm about the show is the credit text font. It's terrible.

All in all I consider it a great piece of work. I hope they make it more "flowing" soon - sometimes there are awkward pauses and it really hurts the nature of the dialogue.

Squidbillies, Stroker and Hoop, and Aqua Teens are all surprisingly very fresh and well done. S&H I was most surprised with - I remember it being very stale, but last night's episode had me laughing a lot. ("Security, there's two guys on my cieling. I don't know why they think I don't see them up there." ROFL.) Perfect Hair Forever can be overly annoying but parts of it are hilarious. ("And do they get....nuuuuuuuuuuuuude?" For some reason that made me laugh.)

Anyway, AS is great stuff but they can be arrogant pieces of sh*t when they want. I think that's more a reaction to their forum members though....

[quote name='Strell']
Anyway, AS is great stuff but they can be arrogant pieces of sh*t when they want. I think that's more a reaction to their forum members though....[/QUOTE]

I got the feeling of the arrogance at Cartoon Network with the whole Big O fiasco awhile back. I still like a large amount of their shows but there are times you can tell they drink their own Kool-Aid.

I assume the whole "LOOK, WE MADE BIG O SEASON 2 HAPPEN" idea? I couldn't tell if that was legitimate or if they were just responsible for a localization.

Big O is excellent stuff imo. :)

[quote name='Strell']I assume the whole "LOOK, WE MADE BIG O SEASON 2 HAPPEN" idea? I couldn't tell if that was legitimate or if they were just responsible for a localization.

Big O is excellent stuff imo. :)[/QUOTE]

No, I mean in 2003 when they were supposed to show the season 2 finale and showed episode 20 instead of 26. I think since it was rumored that Mike Lazzo from Williams Street had beef with the show that he had something to do with the wrong episode being shown. They "claimed" it was a mislabeled tape. I never heard of them doing that to any other show and I never heard of that on any other channel. Then I think when they were supposed to show it again the played a few seconds of episode 20 again then showed the real thing. I saw episode 20 and shut the TV off in disgust.

Nice ytmnd in the above post.

More info..

The Show Must Go On
Friday, November 7, 2003
It was the cruelest of all jokes—the kind that you laugh about in retrospect, but can't stop screaming about in the moment. It's like the kind of joke a roommate would play on you, but it wasn't perpetrated by friends, it was perpetrated by people on the other side of the country.

I'm talking about the guys (and gals) at Cartoon Network's Williams Street studio (the one that manages the Adult Swim lineup) and their Big-O cruelty.

You see, the second half of the anime series Big-O was winding down on Cartoon Network. The last episode, Act 26: The Show Must Go On, was scheduled to air on October 26th. Instead, what viewers around the country saw was Act 20: Stripes. Adult-Swim-forum–goers were up in arms. How could they torture us so? Teasing an audience with the ending and then showing a rerun when we bite is cruel and inhuman.

So they rescheduled it for November 2nd. Fast forward to the opening moments: screaming again. It was Stripes again—or so we thought. A minute into the episode, the tape comes to a halt and Adult Swim's trademark black-and-white card appears on the screen. [We just had to do it], it says and The Show Must Go On began.

bwah, cartoon network is evil, my friend's roommate IM'ed me. At least we know they care. Or something like that.

http://home.comcast.net/~quadoshock/Seasons/2003/11/2003.11.07.html

I am totally glad I had DVR for when the boondocks started, and I think it totally rocks now that I have seen 3 episodes. At first I was a little cautious about the type of art they were using, but I think it really expresses more of the point the artist is trying to get across.

bread's done
Back