Alan Wake General Discussion - Out May 18, 2010!

[quote name='matto1233']FINALLY picked this up today at Meijer, they were offering free microsoft points if you bought a game $60 or more. Anyway, should I watch those Bright Falls webisodes BEFORE I play the game? Do they tie into the story of the game at all?[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. I would suggest watching them before. They won't spoil anything.

yes I would watch them! they are actually pretty darn good. probably like an x-files episode at least

Just finished episode one, and dang that was awesome!

Quick question, I accidentally skipped the cutscenes at the beginning of episode two, so if I restart episode two, does that void the achievement for beating the game?

[quote name='matto1233']Just finished episode one, and dang that was awesome!

Quick question, I accidentally skipped the cutscenes at the beginning of episode two, so if I restart episode two, does that void the achievement for beating the game?[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure you can watch the cutscenes from the main menu.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Pretty sure you can watch the cutscenes from the main menu.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can, thanks.
After two episodes, here are some initial thoughts. It reminds me so much of Resident Evil, however with a twist in the whole flashlight thing. I haven't felt this strongly about the atmosphere and setting of a game since Bioshock. Not sure if this is really a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags anyway.
I think the scary moments is what makes the game, however, I wish they were more "pop-out" instead of a slow motion turnaround showing the enemies.

[quote name='matto1233']Yes, you can, thanks.
After two episodes, here are some initial thoughts. It reminds me so much of Resident Evil, however with a twist in the whole flashlight thing. I haven't felt this strongly about the atmosphere and setting of a game since Bioshock. Not sure if this is really a spoiler, but I'll put it in tags anyway.
I think the scary moments is what makes the game, however, I wish they were more "pop-out" instead of a slow motion turnaround showing the enemies.
[/QUOTE]

It's pretty obvious the slow mo thing is simply to keep you from getting really damn frustrated. If guys suddenly jumped on your back without notice constantly, you'd die a lot and be angry

[quote name='thrustbucket']
It's pretty obvious the slow mo thing is simply to keep you from getting really damn frustrated. If guys suddenly jumped on your back without notice constantly, you'd die a lot and be angry
.[/QUOTE]

I did that a lot even with the slo mo lol

[quote name='thrustbucket']
.[/QUOTE]
I don't want them to jump on your back out of nowhere, I just wish they could like, pop out from behind a tree or something

Finished the game yesterday and read everyones thoughts on the ending. By the way, for those of us who don't have the Alan Wake files, there's a great article recapping it here. There is one thing I don't remember anyone mentioning...
When you're at the diner in the beginning of the game, there is that old lady telling you not to go by the bathroom because it's dark, and darkness is bad. Is that the lamp lady looking out for you from the beginning?

[quote name='matto1233']Finished the game yesterday and read everyones thoughts on the ending. By the way, for those of us who don't have the Alan Wake files, there's a great article recapping it here. There is one thing I don't remember anyone mentioning...
When you're at the diner in the beginning of the game, there is that old lady telling you not to go by the bathroom because it's dark, and darkness is bad. Is that the lamp lady looking out for you from the beginning?
[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Finally got around to checking this out. Great game, I enjoyed it and Signal really upped the difficulty. Well at least compared to the normal difficulty that I played the regular game on.

I think the biggest problem this game had was being released the same day as Red Dead Redemption.

[quote name='$hady']Finally got around to checking this out. Great game, I enjoyed it and Signal really upped the difficulty. Well at least compared to the normal difficulty that I played the regular game on.

I think the biggest problem this game had was being released the same day as Red Dead Redemption.[/QUOTE]
I'm glad there wasn't an achievement for beating the Signal on Nightmare. I probably wouldn't have been able to complete it. I'm currently playing through the normal on nightmare, and quite frankly, it's not hard. AT ALL. It's probably more like what normal should feel like. Normal felt more like a run and gun type of game. But now, it feels like a survivor type, and I love it.

Something else has occurred to me.
Why exactly can't Alan remember writing any of the manuscript? Can people just not remember anything when they're in the presence of the dark presence?

Yea I agree that normal was to easy I was never worried about running out of ammo or batteries and if you did manage to die you just got restocked.... Glad you are enjoying Nightmare mode more i'll try that sometime down the road maybe. I've never been able to finish a game and then start it over again unless it's been awhile. :D

This is pissing me off. I keep doing perfect runs, to have some bullshit kill me. I finished this 6 hours ago, but a system crash jacked me over.

I got drunk and did it on my first run. Finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anywhere you can check which collectibles you have for each level? I'm worried I'm gonna miss one, just like I did in Shadow Complex. I didn't even bother going back for it, it wasn't worth it.

[quote name='Metalic']Alot of it does if you take the time to think and take in what is said. But ill give you that some of it is really fucking confusing.

Each DLC better have a night springs episode :cool:
YES, all stats do carry over! :)[/QUOTE]

I don't have the game yet, but i watched the videos and they reminded me right on Twin Peaks.
I think even the hotel was from Twin Peaks.

I'm so mad right now. I just got all 58 achievements but for some reason it says I'm missing one achievement and 10 gamerscore. I click on the thing to view the achievements and every achievement is unlocked. Anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='matto1233']I'm so mad right now. I just got all 58 achievements but for some reason it says I'm missing one achievement and 10 gamerscore. I click on the thing to view the achievements and every achievement is unlocked. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

I've heard of others having this on different games, they redownloaded their profile and it fixed itself usually.

[quote name='theredworm']I've heard of others having this on different games, they redownloaded their profile and it fixed itself usually.[/QUOTE]
Redownloaded their profile? I'm confused would you mind explaining that? Thanks.

Six episodes.

Whatever you do, don't start up The Signal until after you've finished the game, otherwise you'll get one of those fantastic "Previously on Alan Wake ..." chapter introduction that pretty much recaps the game. Happened to me. I was scrambling to exit to avoid spoilers.

Just beat it could anyone clear up the ending for me.
Who was the guy standing in the window at the end? What does it's not a lake, it's an ocean mean? Why were there 2 Alan's? And was Alan dreaming the whole time or was it real because Alice says Alan, wake up at the end?

[quote name='Capocci 007']Just beat it could anyone clear up the ending for me.
Who was the guy standing in the window at the end? What does it's not a lake, it's an ocean mean? Why were there 2 Alan's? And was Alan dreaming the whole time or was it real because Alice says Alan, wake up at the end?[/QUOTE]

Look inside at my best guess:

1. Window Guy - Nightingale... at that scene the story has been written differently by Alan but to keep the balance all the players must still exist. Alice is alive, the darkness is possessed by Nightingale and Rose is the new lamp lady.

2. Lake, Ocean - I think this just a literary device to describe that the darkness phenomenon is a larger scale event than initially thought. Others think that Wake may be writing the story and changed the source of the darkness from a lake to an ocean. I say "meh" to that.

3. 2 Alan's - One is stuck in the darkness writing the story as the game is progressing while the other "Mr. Scratch" is the one in the world you are playing in. If you notice, after the car-crash you are the "Mr. Scratch" in most of the cut scenes. Also, pay attention in the DLC for who's who.

4. Dreaming - Don't know, but I think most writers hate the "it was all just a dream" solution. So I doubt they will be cheap like that. The story seems cohesive enough to be "real."

All this is open to different interpretations.

Finished both the main game and The Signal DLC last night. Mind was blown from both. It was quite the enjoyable experience.

[quote name='faceturd']Look inside at my best guess:

1. Window Guy - Nightingale... at that scene the story has been written differently by Alan but to keep the balance all the players must still exist. Alice is alive, the darkness is possessed by Nightingale and Rose is the new lamp lady.

2. Lake, Ocean - I think this just a literary device to describe that the darkness phenomenon is a larger scale event than initially thought. Others think that Wake may be writing the story and changed the source of the darkness from a lake to an ocean. I say "meh" to that.

3. 2 Alan's - One is stuck in the darkness writing the story as the game is progressing while the other "Mr. Scratch" is the one in the world you are playing in. If you notice, after the car-crash you are the "Mr. Scratch" in most of the cut scenes. Also, pay attention in the DLC for who's who.

4. Dreaming - Don't know, but I think most writers hate the "it was all just a dream" solution. So I doubt they will be cheap like that. The story seems cohesive enough to be "real."

All this is open to different interpretations.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the replies. I just completed the signal and honestly I did not get any of it, the whole thing was confusing. And a game never confuses me like this.

So basically there has been 2 Alan's the whole time? One in the real world and one in the fake world that fought the darkness? And what about the signal, i still don't know the point of it. At the end he wakes up and the doctor tells him he was dreaming and that it's all in his head.

I'm confused about the story line in all. Like now I'm thinking about the 2 wakes and I'm asking myself well what is the point of 2, why did they do this why did they do that etc... I guess I need to replay the whole game in the future because if you asked me I wouldn't be able to explain anything.

Here's what I get: Alan goes on vacation with his wife. His wife gets kidnapped by the darkness. Is the darkness real world or his dreams? He goes through a lot of events and eventually finds the clicker that Zane left him. He uses it to defeat the darkess lady. The thing is I don't know what Wake is doing what.

I still have some issues with the whole thing myself. And I have a pretty bad memory. Take a break and then do a nightmare play-through which is beneficial for the story line. The DLC is kind of random... I got through it so quickly that I really didn't absorb the story either.

If that means the end of the game - as in no more DLC and no more sequel - then I am a bummed. I am looking forward to playing more with The Writer... I hope they do episodic releases, I think it would work well. Maybe 2 episodes at a time over 6 months or something.

Did anybody else think the Run On Sentence was a hard achievement?I dyed at the last part and was so mad.Then to do the whole DLC over again.?Well whatever I have them all now.

I got my collector's edition today, but I'm not sure whether I should open it or not. I want to see all the goodies, and don't intend to ever get rid of it, but I doubt I'll be playing it anytime soon due to my enormous backlog. Then again, it is tempting.

Oh, and Capocci, please use spoiler tags. I stopped myself after realizing what I was reading, but you kind of ruined something very important for me before I even played the game.

GametrailersTV just showed the trailer for the next DLC, The Writer. Looks pretty epic. At least the trailer made it seem more "grand" than anything they put out to promote the Signal.

Announced it's coming October 12th. Can't wait!! Pleaes oh please announce a sequel!!!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']GametrailersTV just showed the trailer for the next DLC, The Writer. Looks pretty epic. At least the trailer made it seem more "grand" than anything they put out to promote the Signal.

Announced it's coming October 12th. Can't wait!! Pleaes oh please announce a sequel!!![/QUOTE]

wooohooooooo looks like more of the same from the signal but more of a mind rape. i really like the live action alan wake on the tv's cool touch. and 560 points basically 7 bucks is a perfect price point in my opinion. i hate when these DLC's that are like 2 maps are released for 10 bucks. cant wait for the 12th!

They could charge 9000 ms points for this and I'd buy it.

Hey, has anyone around here picked up the novel? I heard it's okay, but I"m such a sucker for all things AW, that I've been interested in it.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Hey, has anyone around here picked up the novel? I heard it's okay, but I"m such a sucker for all things AW, that I've been interested in it.[/QUOTE]

You mean the limited edition book or is this something different?

[quote name='dmaul1114']This is the last DLC for the game right? [/QUOTE]

Yes, it is the last one.

bread's done
Back