Amazon Android AppStore Deal Wiki

[quote name='tominater12']That and it seems that these are actually old versions of games like doodle jump. The amazon version is 1.6 while the market version is 1.6.6. I do not think I will buy anything there and just get the free app of the day.[/QUOTE]

and then only when I trust it. I too have passed on Farm Frenzy.

Quick droid question in general. Anyhow, I have free version of Angry Birds but I'm tempted to give them 99 cents for no ads but I'm not seeing that option on the normal droid market... I'm only seeing it on Amazon's market. Am I just missing it or what?

[quote name='buckythekat']based on the reviews I'm not gonna bother with this one

"Why does this simple game need to read our phone state, personal contact data, and sensitive logs? Can't you guys make an honest living instead of selling our personal information? Deleted."[/QUOTE]
You know what other app reads phone state?

The Amazon AppStore.

These reviews are from overly-paranoid shmucks.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Quick droid question in general. Anyhow, I have free version of Angry Birds but I'm tempted to give them 99 cents for no ads but I'm not seeing that option on the normal droid market... I'm only seeing it on Amazon's market. Am I just missing it or what?[/QUOTE]

if I recall, the basic android market only has the free one. the paid ones, like rio, are amazon exclusives on android atm.

[quote name='B:L']You know what other app reads phone state?

The Amazon AppStore.

These reviews are from overly-paranoid shmucks.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Companies shilling anti malware software for Android keep hyping up "suspicious" apps in press releases because they know most of the Android websites out there are amateurs and will run anything for pageviews without investigating it. So all these sites are reporting about all these malicious apps which rarely turn out to be anything worth being concerned about.

And meanwhile, users who don't know any better think that anything that requests permissions MUST be up to no good.

Trust me guys.. when an app really is doing something malicious, there will be more evidence floating to the surface beyond the permissions it requests.

[quote name='buckythekat']based on the reviews I'm not gonna bother with this one

"Why does this simple game need to read our phone state, personal contact data, and sensitive logs? Can't you guys make an honest living instead of selling our personal information? Deleted."[/QUOTE]

That reviewer and almost every other reviewer on Amazon (about permissions) are just ignorant.

This app doesn't read anything except your "phone state and identity." Reading phone states is basically "do this if there is a phone call." As for identity, it gets the IMEI to register the app with the phone, but apparently these two states are stuck to each other. Meaning, a developer is using this only to read the phone state, but when permissions are shown it also shows identity even though the developer isn't using it to read the identity.

Also, if it's going to read the contact information, then there are permissions that will specifically tell you that.

[quote name='B:L']You know what other app reads phone state?

The Amazon AppStore.

These reviews are from overly-paranoid shmucks.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Is it me or is Newsweek Mobile the free daily app? I can still get Farm Frenzy for free, but it's not shown as the free daily app.

[quote name='DKYang']That reviewer and almost every other reviewer on Amazon (about permissions) are just ignorant.

This app doesn't read anything except your "phone state and identity." Reading phone states is basically "do this if there is a phone call." As for identity, it gets the IMEI to register the app with the phone, but apparently these two states are stuck to each other. Meaning, a developer is using this only to read the phone state, but when permissions are shown it also shows identity even though the developer isn't using it to read the identity.

Also, if it's going to read the contact information, then there are permissions that will specifically tell you that.

Agreed.

Is it me or is Newsweek Mobile the free daily app? I can still get Farm Frenzy for free, but it's not shown as the free daily app.[/QUOTE]

They changed the daily app to Newsweek Mobile. I'm guessing because of all the idiot reviews for Farm Frenzy. I swear that everyone who reviews Android apps comes straight from commenting on Youtube videos.

[quote name='tominater12']That and it seems that these are actually old versions of games like doodle jump. The amazon version is 1.6 while the market version is 1.6.6. I do not think I will buy anything there and just get the free app of the day.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I'm missing something, but once you download the app you can update it.... yes??

For everyone talking about the bad reviews it is free. Just download it and delete it. Hell I downloaded Newsweek and will chances are delete it due to the fact that some of the stuff has not been updated for a week. Think in tech news the last time it was updated was the 13th. However it was free and all I had to do was press the screen a few times.

Wow, all the apps that were given for free has a ton of reviews, yet it is people just complaining about something that was given to them at no cost. I understand if an app/game is crappy, but seriously these "reviews" are ridiculous.

Looks like they are having slight discounts on certain apps. SwiftKey is $1.79 instead of $1.99 as an example. Is that a special deal, or is that way for Amazon to try and convince users to use their application and save a little over the android market?

[quote name='AgentW']if I recall, the basic android market only has the free one. the paid ones, like rio, are amazon exclusives on android atm.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I gave up and got it via Amazon. I'm very glad to have the ads gone. :applause:

I don't honestly think I'll ever buy an app again. I figure if I keep checking this everyday, I'll end up with everything I could ever need.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I don't honestly think I'll ever buy an app again. I figure if I keep checking this everyday, I'll end up with everything I could ever need.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure almost everyone has this same mentality. I wonder how Amazon's sales from their Appstore are doing.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Score!!![/QUOTE]

The ad free version is so much better without those intrusive ads! I had the free one installed but I installed this one. What a difference!

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']The ad free version is so much better without those intrusive ads! I had the free one installed but I installed this one. What a difference![/QUOTE]

Yup, I actually bought the original on Amazon's Market yesterday to get its ads removed... and it is indeed so much better. (SO I have all three of them without ads and have spent .99 cents. That's cheap enough for me.)

I'm not seeing any ads in this free version from Amazon. Besides the Rovio News ad on the pause screen.

When a new "season" comes out does the game update and you lose access to the previous season?

Anyone else having install issues w/ Angry Birds seasons? I uninstalled the free version from the marketplace w/ ads so I could download this ad-free version. It downloads but then wont install.

[quote name='Slayerfaith1982']Anyone else having install issues w/ Angry Birds seasons? I uninstalled the free version from the marketplace w/ ads so I could download this ad-free version. It downloads but then wont install.[/QUOTE]

I had no issue but I also just lit it overwrite what was already there...

Well how convenient since you said that I'm trying to re-dowload the marketplace version w/ ads (so then I can overwrite it like you did w/ the appstore version) and now the marketplace version won't install. Lovely

[quote name='Reimu']I'm sure almost everyone has this same mentality. I wonder how Amazon's sales from their Appstore are doing.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I've bought one app and that was Beautiful Widgets. Are they gonna give an app away EVERY day from here on out....I mean, a year from now are we gonna have 365 free apps offered to us!?

Those having issues uninstalling and reinstalling: What have you used to uninstall? The settings tab or an un-installation app? Maybe the later might work for ya...just a random thought. I've used Titanium Back-up since I rooted my phone and have been pleased with it

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I'm not seeing any ads in this free version from Amazon. Besides the Rovio News ad on the pause screen.

When a new "season" comes out does the game update and you lose access to the previous season?[/QUOTE]

Each season is it's own set of levels. As of now you should see Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, and St. Patty's.

I would expect Easter in a few weeks.

Anyone know how we will be able to update these apps I mean with the Marketplace I get the notification at the top. I'm just wondering will it be the same way with Amazon?

Yes, there is notifications. They'll show up on the status bar on top, with the Amazon Appstore Icon informing you you have an app or more that have updates readily available.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Yup, I actually bought the original on Amazon's Market yesterday to get its ads removed... and it is indeed so much better. (SO I have all three of them without ads and have spent .99 cents. That's cheap enough for me.)[/QUOTE]

That's a good deal man. I hate those damn ads.

[quote name='Reimu']3/30 - SoundHound Infinity

Seems like most people prefer SoundHound over Shazam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was coming here to ask that exact question, which is better. I noticed more people reviewed Shazam (120 to 20 or something like that) though.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Thanks, I was coming here to ask that exact question, which is better. I noticed more people reviewed Shazam (120 to 20 or something like that) though.[/QUOTE]

I've used both for a while now. Soundhound usually needs less time to identify and also has a greater success rate. Neither has ever identified a song incorrectly, just sometimes Soundhound will get something that shazam didn't.

[quote name='linkbear']I've used both for a while now. Soundhound usually needs less time to identify and also has a greater success rate. Neither has ever identified a song incorrectly, just sometimes Soundhound will get something that shazam didn't.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm amazed how this program works. Does it work on instrumentals too? I was thinking it likely uses the same type of software where you can talk and it will "type" what you say and then searches for the song that way. However if it can find non-lyrical songs (like Joe Satriani) then that kind of kills my theory somewhat lol.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Thanks. I'm amazed how this program works. Does it work on instrumentals too? I was thinking it likely uses the same type of software where you can talk and it will "type" what you say and then searches for the song that way. However if it can find non-lyrical songs (like Joe Satriani) then that kind of kills my theory somewhat lol.[/QUOTE]

I remember hearing somewhere that most music has "digital tags" and that's what these programs interpret.

[quote name='linkbear']I remember hearing somewhere that most music has "digital tags" and that's what these programs interpret.[/QUOTE]

They actually work by scanning the songs and identifying the Peak Intensities (otherwise known as figerprints) then uploading it and running it against their database, and if it finds a match it sends it back to you.

Soundhound works the same just faster, probably due to a few things, i just like that their database is larger for the more obscure indie stuff i find myself tagging.

I don't see why it wouldn't work on instrumentals as well... I think I read that SoundHound can find songs from humming or whistling as well, though I would think it might have a harder time finding the song of course.

[quote name='teknomedic']I don't see why it wouldn't work on instrumentals as well... I think I read that SoundHound can find songs from humming or whistling as well, though I would think it might have a harder time finding the song of course.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there are limits to it's awesomeness, but I was humming various Christmas songs and it was recognizing them perfectly. SoundHound free is top notch and I'm curious to see what the "paid" version offers.

SoundHound is amazing, very happy they have it for free as well after Shazam

though some reviews are pointing out the version on Amazon's store is a lower number than on the Android Market :???:

[quote name='kidrocklive']Thanks, I was coming here to ask that exact question, which is better. I noticed more people reviewed Shazam (120 to 20 or something like that) though.[/QUOTE]

that's because Shazam was free a few days ago, SoundHound will surely get more reviews now that's the free paid app of the day

[quote name='tominater12']Wow one of the few games I actually bought and it goes free. I wonder how long amazon can continue this.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully for as long as my phone has the memory available for it.

[quote name='tominater12']Wow one of the few games I actually bought and it goes free. I wonder how long amazon can continue this.[/QUOTE]

I wonder this too unless they are trying to use this as a means to advertise their site in general. Otherwise I don't really see anybody actually buying anything and just getting the free stuff.

I still cannot get Angry Birds Seasons to install on my Dell Streak. I was able to get the FREE version from the normal APP store to install when I unmounted my SD card, but the Amazon App Store seems to need a SD card to function, so I'm screwed. Both Angry Bird games are like that for me.

RIO installed fine though...go figure.

bread's done
Back