Animal Crossing New Leaf

Pretty sure I got everyone added on the list so far. Will open my gates in just a bit for a while, fell free to hop in!

Friend code: 3368-1321-7712

Name: Brandon

Town: Zooville

Fruit: Native is peaches, have cherries, and durians growing now.

I ended up with two physical copies since Kmart was selling for $5 off. It was either get two physical or buy two $20 cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who bought a digital copy, any regrets?

This is one of the few 3ds games that i think one should consider buying digital. Coz once you start playing you never want the game out of ur system for a long time. Hehe.

Kapp'n is hilarious and I can stay on the island forever!

...and no regrets anymore on the digital copy.  I was playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (cart version) and since I have kids, one of them ejected it, losing my current progress (before the last save).  Needless to say, I was grateful for having ACNL as a digital copy to prevent that (I know you can still lose your progress if you hit Home and Close, but it's one less to worry about).

For AC vets, how does this compare to the GCN one?  I wasn't thrilled with the Wii version due to controls, gimped holidays and other exclusions.  I didn't play the DS game either.  Game is set to arrive today or tomorrow. 

I will be getting the guide as I like to physcially look through something but will also check online sources as well. 

Getting this tomorrow when I get paid.

Question: Is the guide worth it or stick to GameFAQs?
I heard the Prima guide is not accurate in prices and lacking in some other areas I can't remember, but that it's a good catalogue if you need to keep track of what you got. Read the reviews on Amazon and it'll give you a good indication if it's worth it to you. Personally, I wasn't going to get it based on the reviews, but with it being so cheap, and liking that it's in full color, has pics and I could keep track of my captures easier, I felt it was worth it (still waiting for it to come in though).

Thanks. I guess I'll hit up Target tomorrow and price match amazon and get the guide for $13 so i dont have to wait for it to ship.

Had fun going to the island with 3 of you yesterday. Sorry everyone had to go back when I needed to go--that sucked.

Played a bit this morning. Paid off my first loan, got mayoral powers and started a bridge and ordered first expansion on my house.

Looking forward to getting access to the Island in my town. Still haven't caught any sharks. Saw my first one this morning (or some big finned fish anyway), but missed it.

Kapp'n is hilarious and I can stay on the island forever!

...and no regrets anymore on the digital copy. I was playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (cart version) and since I have kids, one of them ejected it, losing my current progress (before the last save). Needless to say, I was grateful for having ACNL as a digital copy to prevent that (I know you can still lose your progress if you hit Home and Close, but it's one less to worry about).
I have not regrets as it would be a pain to be switching game cards back and forth since AC is just something I play in a burst here or there throughout the day. So it's super convenient to always have that loaded, and just be able to leave whatever regular game I'm playing at the time in the card slot.

The only regrets people are going to have are when

1) Something happens to their 3DS console and the game is lost since it is tied to the console

2) They grow tired of playing (is this even possible?) and they can't sell or gift it to someone else

Does anyone have an extra net? I'll pay 1,000 bells, 2 fruit (I have a few different kinds), or a gas mask for it.

Does anyone have high turnip prices? I forgot to check yesterday and I'm guessing I should've sold then. I only bought 10 turnips though, a 1,000 bell investment is nothing.

I'll trade 1:1 for any perfect fruit you have. I have 3 perfect pears.

I'm trading 1:1 for regular fruit too. Native in my town is pears but I also have cherries, apples, peaches, and oranges. I had one coconut that I planted and my younger brother, new to the series, dug up the sapling. Are coconuts still sold for 150 bells? They were always underpowered in the previous games.

For AC vets, how does this compare to the GCN one? I wasn't thrilled with the Wii version due to controls, gimped holidays and other exclusions. I didn't play the DS game either. Game is set to arrive today or tomorrow.

I will be getting the guide as I like to physcially look through something but will also check online sources as well.
It's the best AC since the GameCube version but it's too early for any American to say which is better since the game came out less than a week ago. NES games are never coming back, but I heard real holidays are back. You may want to look into that.

From one game to the next, there aren't many changes. From AC to AC NL there have been a ton of changes, because there were 2.5 games in-between as well. (Animal Crossing e+ came out in Japan and had some features that were only brought back in New Leaf.)

Hey guys,

for those interested in creating Town Tunes and Town Flags, here are a few sites to help out:

http://app.nicofinder.net/tobimy/

The above site isn't in english, but if you have your browser translate it (Chrome will ask this automatically, not sure about other browsers) you'll be able to use the handy tool that converts an image or image url to the same flag creator format that Animal Crossing New Leaf uses.

http://www.qrcrossing.com/melody/

This next site is a web app that is basically the same as the Town Tune creator straight from in-game. Here you can mess around with creating songs without having to go back and forth between your 3DS and computer or whatever else you may be using. Now you can easily search for the notes to your desired song and mess around with them until they sound right (or just create your own).

For example, here is a piece from a Yoshi's Island song that I ended up making. It is the song from the level "Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy": EEEEC-EAf-ACDD-

Not sure if these tools were mentioned yet. If there's a better way to do this, please let me know! This is the best I've found so far.

Downloaded on Sunday and have been loving the game ever since. Caught my first Shark today and have even got my girlfriend interested and playing everyday too. 

FC: 4725-8018-7974

Name: Matt

Town: Satty

Fruit: Pears, just planted Peaches today

Totally addicted to this so far, however I've been neglecting my town in City Folk and it makes me sad!

Only issue is my re-tail store hasn't updated since I bought the game, do those items stay until someone buys them? I'm half tempted to buy everything then just sell them back to get some new items to pop up.

As far as collecting goes I've had just ridiculous luck with sharks. Caught around 14 two days ago, then today when I went to the island I snagged 3 whale sharks, 2 saw sharks, 1 hammer head, 1 ocean sunfish, 2 sharks...it was awesome. Also managed to get bannans, pears, apples, oranges and lychee.

As far as the guide goes, itvshows 4x the price re-tail will give you. So for let's say the "shark" it will say 60,00 bells while it's really 15,000. There's a note saying that it is typically 1/4 the price listed but it's super annoying that they've included it that way.

Just started the game up and the only thing I had to worry about was trying to get apples as my native fruit.  Then Rover shows me maps of the town layout and now I'm going to have to figure out some ideal layouts (4 layouts are generated per new game).

OCD sucks  :wall: :bomb:

I was gifted a bamboo shoot from one of my townsfolk. Do I plant this just like a fruit? Or do I have to give it special care?

Can you guys give me some suggestions for town layout?

I'll aim for the Re-tail store in the middle or bottom part of town.  Not sure about other buildings.

I'm mainly concerned how the river flows and where the waterfall is, the beach layout (east or west and if divided), bridges, and

Have as few river breaks as possible.  2 is the lowest, but 3 or 4 is acceptable.  Otherwise you won't have enough room for many Public Works projects.  Also, make sure you can visit every part of the Beach with the 2 hills the game gives you.  You can easily be screwed over by a bad map layout.

My town:

Pears (Main), Apples, Cherries, Oranges, Peaches, Lemons, Bananas, Lychees, Durians

I'm missing Grapes, Coconuts, Mangos and I think one other Fruit.

Can you guys give me some suggestions for town layout?

I'll aim for the Re-tail store in the middle or bottom part of town. Not sure about other buildings.

I'm mainly concerned how the river flows and where the waterfall is, the beach layout (east or west and if divided), bridges, and
Kingbroly gave some good advice. I'd add that having a north/south ramp directly from the pier to re-tail is great for island. hunting run. The longer the beach the better imo.

Lot of the problems with any town can be fixed with public works projects. Well placed bridges can help remedy many issues. The wetsuit allows you to swim so you can access a poorly divided beach.

The bridge across my river is too high up. It's kind of annoying, but I'm too deep in this thing now. :) Do we get additional bridges as we progress like we did in City Folk?

Also, are the flea market days over and replaced by Re-tail? Because I rather liked the flea market days in City Folk (or whatever it was called).

Has Nintendo made a calendar app? I liked having that for City Folk as well.

Finally got to the island. In loving the tours. The scavenger hunt pretty much my favorite. 9 medals each time! Hopefully redd shows up soon. I want to build the 2nd floor museum already and the portrait section is the only thing im missing to trigger it

Got the first upgrade on my house and working on paying that off, along with the bridge I picked for my first public works project (to speed travel--put it closer to my house to give a closer route up to retail and mainstreet.

Mortimer popped in today, so I'll have access to the island tomorrow.

This game is addicting as hell!

Enjoying it so far! I couldn't do much last night, but now I'm getting into the swing of things.

Got myself a net and a shovel today.

I wasn't sure about the town layout I selected, but now I think it's pretty good.

So the grass wears away if I run/walk on it? I don't want the town to look barren so I've just been walking everywhere, but I know if I invite people over it will all be gone soon enough :p

How do I get coins to buy the fortune cookie at nooks?

None.

Quick question for everyone: I've borrowed a wetsuit on the island as I haven't seen one for sale yet, but every time I try to dive after a shadow I always miss. Where should I be lining up the shadow?

I bought the cartridge version and have no regrets, especially because if I end up getting a new 3DS for myself (ideally XL), I'll easily be able to switch to it. Can you move a save from the digital version to another 3DS? If you can than that's a non-issue. I am just not sure if that's possible. In any case I got the game for $5 off from newegg, so that's good. :)

None.

Quick question for everyone: I've borrowed a wetsuit on the island as I haven't seen one for sale yet, but every time I try to dive after a shadow I always miss. Where should I be lining up the shadow?
You have to dive a little bit away from the shadow. Once you dive you'll stay underwater. So while you're under water, you can swim right up to the shadow and an exclamation will show up and then you hit the button to resurface and pocket your catch. You shouldn't dive right on top of the shadow, you might scare it away. Dive before it then swim underwater and into it and you're golden!

Have as few river breaks as possible. 2 is the lowest, but 3 or 4 is acceptable. Otherwise you won't have enough room for many Public Works projects. Also, make sure you can visit every part of the Beach with the 2 hills the game gives you. You can easily be screwed over by a bad map layout.

My town:

Pears (Main), Apples, Cherries, Oranges, Peaches, Lemons, Bananas, Lychees, Durians

I'm missing Grapes, Coconuts, Mangos and I think one other Fruit.
By river breaks do you mean how the river blocks part of the game acre you are in?

I don't recall the beach being blocked off in other games, guess this one has a change that part of the beach is "off" an acre?

Kingbroly gave some good advice. I'd add that having a north/south ramp directly from the pier to re-tail is great for island. hunting run. The longer the beach the better imo.

Lot of the problems with any town can be fixed with public works projects. Well placed bridges can help remedy many issues. The wetsuit allows you to swim so you can access a poorly divided beach.
The pier is the access point to the Island right? Also what do you mean by a longer beach? I've seen beaches go either on the east around the complete bottom or west to bottom of the map.

Can the beginning bridge/ramp be moved/destroyed? Also which house is "best" for the first character/mayor?

Also which house is "best" for the first character/mayor?
I'm not sure I understand this question. You pick your own spot for building a house. I positioned mine centrally, toward the beach. I have a river wrapping around it. It was really nice until a new house went up right in front of mine. That new house is also obstructing the new bridge I was going to build.

When you talk to your secretary you can bring up problematic neighbors. I think maybe you can have them evicted or run out of town? Has anyone done this? I imagine the house would stay where it was and eventually someone new would move in.

bring ur 3ds to work etc. walk around with it
While in sleep mode of course.

Alternately, you can just put it sleep mode and move your arm back and forth while holding it with it in sleep mode. You get 1 coin for every 100 steps, so it doesn't take long to get to 200 doing that in a pinch.

But yeah, it's easier to just take it with you when running an errand or something and get to 1,000 steps quickly to get your 10 coins (max for one day) every now and then.

I'm not sure I understand this question. You pick your own spot for building a house. I positioned mine centrally, toward the beach. I have a river wrapping around it. It was really nice until a new house went up right in front of mine. That new house is also obstructing the new bridge I was going to build.

When you talk to your secretary you can bring up problematic neighbors. I think maybe you can have them evicted or run out of town? Has anyone done this? I imagine the house would stay where it was and eventually someone new would move in.
Oh so there aren't preset houses like in the other games? Makes map layout even more important now.

As for reporting neighbors, I think that feature doesn't actually get to to move. More like resetting their catchphrases or outfit.

Ignoring neighbors and just wait until they get the bubble that they want to speak to you and hope it's about moving. That worked in other games. Hitting them doesn't help but it made me feel better.

The pier is the access point to the Island right? Also what do you mean by a longer beach? I've seen beaches go either on the east around the complete bottom or west to bottom of the map.

Can the beginning bridge/ramp be moved/destroyed? Also which house is "best" for the first character/mayor?
yeah the wooden pier on the beach is the island access point. By longer beach I mean you can access most of the beach using only one ramp. More convenient when fishing.

Not sure if the first bridge can be destroyed. Anything you build can be destroyed, though.

Would you all recommend this game for a 6 year old thats just getting the hang of reading? Wanted to get either this or Luigi's Mansion/Donkey Kong 3D for my son.

Depends on how well they read, and how much you'll be around when they're playing if they have question.

There's no voice acting, and lots of dialogue to read to find out what to do, sell things etc.  Also some writing of letters to the AI residents to up approval rating etc.  So being able to read is important.  If your kid has a decent grasp on it, it could be a tool to keep them learning to read as long as you don't mind getting asked a lot of questions about what words mean etc. as they're playing early on.

Depends on how well they read, and how much you'll be around when they're playing if they have question.

There's no voice acting, and lots of dialogue to read to find out what to do, sell things etc. Also some writing of letters to the AI residents to up approval rating etc. So being able to read is important. If your kid has a decent grasp on it, it could be a tool to keep them learning to read as long as you don't mind getting asked a lot of questions about what words mean etc. as they're playing early on.

Thanks for the write up. He usually skips the dialog in most games so I may pass on it for now as I don't think he'll know what the game is telling him to do.

I'll maybe try to get a layout where the beach not divided, something like this:

http://static.thebitblock.com/content/uploads/2013/05/hocotatemapmay.png

The river placement doesn't seem that great though

These 2 on a wiki have divided beaches.

http://acwiki3ds.wikispaces.com/The+Map

The first one here has an awkward river that basically makes the land where the guy's home (yellow) is an island.

The second one has a better layout but I'd like Re-Tail on the lower half. For some reason the first home (mayor's) isn't shown but 2 other players' are (blue).

There's no voice acting, and lots of dialogue to read to find out what to do, sell things etc. Also some writing of letters to the AI residents to up approval rating etc. So being able to read is important. If your kid has a decent grasp on it, it could be a tool to keep them learning to read as long as you don't mind getting asked a lot of questions about what words mean etc. as they're playing early on.
Yeah I'd suggest passing on this then. I would say DK is simpler to play than Luigi's Mansion as well based on the game mechanics.

I recall my cousin and sister having trouble in the original pokemon as they could barely read; they had to get the pokedex and didn't know how to proceed.

A friend several years younger than me started playing games around the age of 4-5 (his uncle gave him his nes/snes collection). Games likely helped him learn how to read faster than most as well.

bread's done
Back