Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood PS3 Discussion

[quote name='Jodou']It's because nobody buys the game from Best Buy. Also, it's a MP skin rather than a SP skin, so being rare and online content drives value. Best Buy also didn't advertise it well, especially since the box itself does not mention the officer code is inside at all. There would be no way to distinguish what copies have a code over what does not unless you peer down through the top of the case and can see the wording.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my copy came with the voucher in front of the instruction manual. There's no sticker on the front of the cover to distinguish which games come with the character and which don't.

I played some MP for a bit this morning. Quite fun and different. I'm not sure if it has legs or not. We'll see if the community supports it. I'd be up for a CAG night.

[quote name='regis100']I played some MP for a bit this morning. Quite fun and different. I'm not sure if it has legs or not. We'll see if the community supports it. I'd be up for a CAG night.[/QUOTE]
Yea- I played to level 10 this morning. The server crashed 3 times while i was playing.

I think the upgrades- like the smoke bomb, gun, etc will prolong it a little while. Don't know for certain though.

Anyone see the new Facebook game? It interfaces with your Uplay account, and you can earn money, properties, and assassins that transfer over to Brotherhood.

We need to get a CAG game of this going ASAP. In my first game online there were already a bunch of douchebags running around and hanging out on buildings. :bomb: Managed to come in 1st with half as many kills as the guy in 2nd, though. ;)

How about Monday or Tuesday evening at 10 Eastern?

I don't get the problem with the guys on the roof. Can someone explain?

The only problem I had was in one of the levels there is a really tall building, and I guess you can still get kills from on top if you have a gun and a good eye. When i tried to approach the guy for my kill though, i triggered his alert, and he just ran off.

I would assume people on the roof just make things very difficult since you not only expose yourself by trying to climb to them, but rooftops make assassinations very difficult. I can tell you just from experience with trying to tackle those asshole pickpockets in SP that rooftop chases are extremely annoying. All the while, they can just prey on their targets with ranged attacks. That would be my guess.

FYI, I just figured out that wearing the outfit from Amazon will override any costume changes in the game. I.e. there's a scene where you're supposed to disguise yourself as Luigi (not the plumber) and at first I didn't realize what was going on because I was still dressed as an assassin lol. I was like, wtf do these guys just not know what he's supposed to look like? Then I figured it out when you're supposed to disguise yourself again in a flashback and it's so awkward because you can obviously see it's Ezio the whole time rofl. I feel like the experience may have been cheapened a bit because I'm halfway through the game now and have no idea how many times I might have been dressed differently. The costumes are so lavish it's really a shame.

[quote name='Jodou']I would assume people on the roof just make things very difficult since you not only expose yourself by trying to climb to them, but rooftops make assassinations very difficult. I can tell you just from experience with trying to tackle those asshole pickpockets in SP that rooftop chases are extremely annoying. All the while, they can just prey on their targets with ranged attacks. That would be my guess.

FYI, I just figured out that wearing the outfit from Amazon will override any costume changes in the game. I.e. there's a scene where you're supposed to disguise yourself as Luigi (not the plumber) and at first I didn't realize what was going on because I was still dressed as an assassin lol. I was like, wtf do these guys just not know what he's supposed to look like? Then I figured it out when you're supposed to disguise yourself again in a flashback and it's so awkward because you can obviously see it's Ezio the whole time rofl. I feel like the experience may have been cheapened a bit because I'm halfway through the game now and have no idea how many times I might have been dressed differently. The costumes are so lavish it's really a shame.[/QUOTE]

Yea- i turned mine off after the first flashback mission. Ezio is all wide-eyed and sounds young- but he had the beard and badass suit and it didn't work for me.. I guess you can always replay those missions.

I may be super late to the party- but i just noticed that Altair, Ezio, and Desmond all have the same scar on their lip. I assume that hasn't been explained.

[quote name='nbballard']Yea- i turned mine off after the first flashback mission. Ezio is all wide-eyed and sounds young- but he had the beard and badass suit and it didn't work for me.. I guess you can always replay those missions.

I may be super late to the party- but i just noticed that Altair, Ezio, and Desmond all have the same scar on their lip. I assume that hasn't been explained.[/QUOTE]
Well he's their descendant but the scar is weird. I'm on sequence 6 and it hasn't been explained yet, so I've no idea. There's really not much exposition on anything story related so far because it's all focusing on building the brotherhood and allies. I'm assuming it will all come in the last sequence and I'm hoping it pays off.

^yea- i figured if it was ever explained (and I missed it) it would have happened by now. I bought the last Altair figure they had at TRU this morning when i was getting DRC:R and I realized the figure had the scar too. I wonder if the character in the new comic book has it as well.

I'm still early on in the game. I just got the whores, thieves, and soldiers on my side. I have been taking on the towers and renovating things. Do the challenge lists in the respective buildings have anything to do with leveling your assassins or is that seperate?

They rank the guild up after so many challenges are complete but I can't remember what that does for you though lol. Leveling assassin's is separate.

[quote name='nbballard']I don't get the problem with the guys on the roof. Can someone explain?[/QUOTE]

The problem is one somebody's up on a building, his assassin needs to climb up to get to him, then that guy's assassin needs to climb up, etc. And yeah, like Jodou said, it makes it obvious who all the players are once everyone's climbing on things.

So, CAG game: Monday or Tuesday evening at 10 Eastern?

In the time i played yesterday- there were people hopping all over the place, and it didn't bother me all that much. It was fun to have to whip around a corner and put on a disguise or blend in a crowd after hopping off a building.

I just got to the part of the game where you start to recruit assassins. I think I played through all of the Copernicus story. I've been noticing a lot of little strange details in this game today. Anyone else notice any easter eggs or anything strange that people may not have picked up on?

1) Desmond has a tattoo on his left arm that matches the decorative metal work on Ezio's wrist piece / blade.

2) The conversation Desmond has with
the Altair statue in the base - I posted an interpretation of that conversation earlier, but no one commented on it, so i assume most people missed it.

Some of these MP trophies are a little absurd. Particularly getting all the co-op bonuses in one match; that seems like it'd require quite a bit of luck without boosting.

[quote name='Magus8472']Some of these MP trophies are a little absurd. Particularly getting all the co-op bonuses in one match; that seems like it'd require quite a bit of luck without boosting.[/QUOTE]
All of them can be boosted in a private match, except the level 50 one since you don't gain exp in private IIRC. Two of them you can do solo in the training mission as well. If people want to do private match boosting, I'm down. I don't plan to plat this game, though. fuck grinding shitty MP to 50.

Hate to say it, but I'm starting to get bored of the game because there's way too much to do and it's just one city. Every time I get to a new sequence they just throw tons of side-quests and new treasure maps your way. I probably would have finished this two days ago if not for running around trying to do everything. The campaign is extremely short and sadly I'd say about 75% of my play time is just running around collecting stuff. I really, really hope they throw out the flags, feathers, and treasures next game. They should be focusing on adding real content to the game in the form of fun missions, not this rinse repeat nonsense.

I was super hyped about this game before release but having played for a few hours over the weekend I'm left feeling disappointed. The PS3 version (unsure if the same can be said for the 360) loads incredibly slowly and stalls nearly every time the game auto-saves. On top of that scaling some borgia towers seems impossible for some reason, am I missing something? I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more as I get into the campaign.

[quote name='jez360']I was super hyped about this game before release but having played for a few hours over the weekend I'm left feeling disappointed. The PS3 version (unsure if the same can be said for the 360) loads incredibly slowly and stalls nearly every time the game auto-saves. On top of that scaling some borgia towers seems impossible for some reason, am I missing something? I'm hoping I'll enjoy it more as I get into the campaign.[/QUOTE]
It's extremely hard to tell what can be used for climbing sometimes, but all of them can be scaled. A few will require that you drop to a lower ledge, so that might be what you're getting hung up on.

None of the towers are as bad as that one in the corner of Acre in the first game. That one was a bitch.

Anyway. Started leveling my assassins last night, and synched my gamesave to Facebook. Off the bat, you get 75xp every 4 hours (max) to give your guys. I've leveled all of my guys from level 2 to level 4.

You can also send them on Facebook assignments and earn even more experience.

[quote name='nbballard']None of the towers are as bad as that one in the corner of Acre in the first game. That one was a bitch.

Anyway. Started leveling my assassins last night, and synched my gamesave to Facebook. Off the bat, you get 75xp every 4 hours (max) to give your guys. I've leveled all of my guys from level 2 to level 4.

You can also send them on Facebook assignments and earn even more experience.[/QUOTE]
Lol, that's silly. Leveling assassin's is a joke anyways since all it requires is micromanaging their missions to 100%. Do that and you can never fail, plus they level quickly. Easiest way to do it is just start them off solo doing missions that are 90% or better until they can get 34% or better in 3-star missions. Then send them in groups of three until they can solo them. From there you just keep working up the chain until they can do groups of 4-star and 5-star. Once you have assassins, leveling is a joke and you can take a new recruit from 1-7 in one 5-star mission. Should only take a few more 5-stars after that to make them an assassin as well. They rape face when called in combat, too. I don't think I've ever seen one of my disciples take any damage and they all have like 7 squares of health rofl. Arrow storm, when you get enough assassins, also dominates hordes of enemies. There's one mission in particular that you can round up maybe 20 soldiers and call the air strike. Wipes them all out in seconds flat lol.

I took down a tower with an arrow strike last night. They were all low level guys- but it got the captain (on a horse), and the 3 guys he was standing with at the time.

Thanks for the back and forth discussion on this game. Helped me decide that I can wait for it to drop in price. Looks like fun, but nothing earth shattering that I need to go out and blow my wad on.

Yeah, only buy it if you'd be willing to play through AC II again right now because it's the same game with the added brotherhood element. I like it, but it quickly wears on you how much collection there is. The map is literally unreadable if you ignore them and let stuff pile up. You could just follow the ! markers but then the game would be over in a day. I'm just hoping they take their time with 3 and it doesn't come out for another two years at least, because I'm starting to get sick of AC.

I hope they don't the mistake of having AC3 focus entirely on Desmond in the modern day. The appeal of AC is it's historical settings. I couldn't give a shit about Desmond.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking that the Desmond story for 2012 is going to be unavoidable. Hopefully they can find some way to make it worth playing.

I think they should redeem Altair and make a game with him that doesn't suck so much. They could explain the back story about the order he created after the first game (that gets touched on in 2, etc. All of the equipment would still be the same too.

Wow, worthless ending. In fact, there was no ending at all. Just more pointless gibberish that makes no sense and it's clear to me Ubisoft is just making it up as they go. I think I'm done with the AC series because while the core gameplay was fun, it's getting tired and old. The future events have yet to pay off and NOTHING was explained AGAIN. BTW, that side-story with Christina isn't explained either. It's just there for whatever reason, maybe to fill out some of Ezio's history. The scars, tattoos, etc are not explained -- just nothing.

BTW, I won't spoil anything but fair warning to finish any future events BEFORE the end of sequence 8. Once you pass that point there's no going back with that save file.

thanks for the head's up.. I thought that was the whole point of the chapter select...

Did you like the ending to 1 & 2? Both of them were kind of like "Hey- some stuff finally happened- the end!", but I liked them. That kind of ending disappoints me less when I can go back into the game and free roam, or when they are released annually (like this series is supposed to be doing).

[quote name='nbballard']thanks for the head's up.. I thought that was the whole point of the chapter select...[/QUOTE]
Oh, the DNA select still works fine but you will be unable to leave the animus. There's a trophy that can be consequently missed if you don't find at least one artifact in the future (and honestly they're used for nothing, so I'm not sure why they're even in the game). Also, reading emails can be somewhat entertaining but never explain anything either. They provide a little insight as to what's going on in the real world, but can be overall skipped.

And no, I didn't like the other endings for that reason. I think over time it's just become too convoluted and things start to make less sense since you're not playing them in a row. All the more frustrating since nothing has been clearly explained yet and it would be nice to see a twist or understand what the ultimate goal here is. So far all I know is they're running from this phantom Abstrego corporation and racing them to find artifacts so they can't rule the world.

I could get more out of an episode of G.I. Joe.

How far are most people? I finished Sequence 6 last night, but I'm taking my time upgrading everything as I go, and trying to get 100% synchronization on all the missions. My biggest gripe would be that they don't have a restart last checkpoint feature. I hate having to restart a memory, and be pushed ALL the way back to beginning in order to try and get the 100%.

[quote name='Cheska19']How far are most people? I finished Sequence 6 last night, but I'm taking my time upgrading everything as I go, and trying to get 100% synchronization on all the missions. My biggest gripe would be that they don't have a restart last checkpoint feature. I hate having to restart a memory, and be pushed ALL the way back to beginning in order to try and get the 100%.[/QUOTE]
You're telling me. You can't even get yourself killed and go back to the checkpoint, because it's already saved as failed. I literally rage quit one night because I was detected JUST before the end of the mission and would have to do the whole thing over again. It wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that I was detected by the guy I was already pouncing on. You know, one of those insta-detects that clears immediately after the animation is over. Such BS. Really hope they remove it next game because it's a complete waste of time.

I finished the game and decided getting 100% on everything was a waste of time since it's not for any trophy, just in-game cheats.

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, worthless ending. In fact, there was no ending at all. Just more pointless gibberish that makes no sense and it's clear to me Ubisoft is just making it up as they go. I think I'm done with the AC series because while the core gameplay was fun, it's getting tired and old. The future events have yet to pay off and NOTHING was explained AGAIN. BTW, that side-story with Christina isn't explained either. It's just there for whatever reason, maybe to fill out some of Ezio's history. The scars, tattoos, etc are not explained -- just nothing.[/QUOTE]

Ending made sense to me.
The "first civilization" or whatever want Desmond to restart their bloodline. He can't do that with Lucy. Therefore, she has to die. I liked the little hint at the setting of the next game, too.

The Cristina thing was just Ezio backstory in the form of memories-within-memories. It's entirely self-contained; not sure what needs to be explained about it. It's a bit hammy, I suppose.

Is there some trick to being able to hit people in combat? Seems like whenever I get into a fight, enemies dodge my attacks like 90% of the time so I have to go 100% counter kills, AC1 style. It's pretty frustrating and makes me want to play other games.

Also are there any in-game benefits to collecting feathers/flags or getting 100% synchronization on everything?

[quote name='jdioutkast']I am really getting into the multiplayer, anyone want to party up? Maybe have an informal game night with it?[/QUOTE]

Keep your eye on this thread if you want to play multiplayer. We'll probably have some games going this week.

Do you use the kick? Enemies will block if you just try and do a normal attack, you'll have to mix it up with kicks. I prefer just to do one counterattack and then do instant kills after that. Nothing more satisfying than killing five guys in quick succession.

[quote name='metaly']Is there some trick to being able to hit people in combat? Seems like whenever I get into a fight, enemies dodge my attacks like 90% of the time so I have to go 100% counter kills, AC1 style. It's pretty frustrating and makes me want to play other games.

Also are there any in-game benefits to collecting feathers/flags or getting 100% synchronization on everything?

Keep your eye on this thread if you want to play multiplayer. We'll probably have some games going this week.[/QUOTE]

The trick to the combat is all in the kill chaining. You need to kick the first guy- or do your strong attack (holding square). After that, it's all about pointing the L stick at a guy and tapping square over and over again. If someone starts to attack you- go into the counter attack.

I was frustrated at first with the combat, but then i figured it out, and I think it works a lot better than the other games in the series (and throwing heavy weapons never gets old).

You guys have got it a little wrong - heavily armored enemies need to be kicked. Anyone that dodges every attack needs to be kicked. Lightly armored enemies can be combo'd to death. Also, I don't think armored enemies can be countered, you have to dodge them and then counterattack.

[quote name='metaly']Is there some trick to being able to hit people in combat? Seems like whenever I get into a fight, enemies dodge my attacks like 90% of the time so I have to go 100% counter kills, AC1 style. It's pretty frustrating and makes me want to play other games.

Also are there any in-game benefits to collecting feathers/flags or getting 100% synchronization on everything?[/QUOTE]
Use X to start off the combo; O if they dodge. After that it's just spam square. :\

Synchronization to 100% unlocks in-game cheats. The flags and feathers have a trophy but that's it.

[quote name='pete5883']You guys have got it a little wrong - heavily armored enemies need to be kicked. Anyone that dodges every attack needs to be kicked. Lightly armored enemies can be combo'd to death. Also, I don't think armored enemies can be countered, you have to dodge them and then counterattack.[/QUOTE]

If you taunt brutes/papal guards before they attack you'll be able to counter-kill them. Some of the time, anyway.

[quote name='orntar']how long is the single player campaign?[/QUOTE]
Short if you skip doing anything else. Under 10 hours for sure.

It depends on how you approach the game. I'm in sequence 5 (of 9 or 10), and I'm 20 hours into the game. I have been running around doing all the side missions though.

Good game! Terrible finale though.

As a side note, I sure hope Ubisoft doesn't run this franchise into the ground... (who are we kidding)

This guy I just recruited looks like a complete scrub. Are there any consequences if I send him off to get killed? Can I just hire someone else to replace him right away?

[quote name='metaly']This guy I just recruited looks like a complete scrub. Are there any consequences if I send him off to get killed? Can I just hire someone else to replace him right away?[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='metaly']This guy I just recruited looks like a complete scrub. Are there any consequences if I send him off to get killed? Can I just hire someone else to replace him right away?[/QUOTE]

Dunno, just try sending him off to get killed. You get a recruitment slot for every Borgia tower you liberate so even if there were MASSIVE consequences and you lose a slot (ya right...) you'd still have tons of room to recruit more people.

The number of assassins only matters for the meta-game stuff, right? I mean, the arrow storm only requires 5-6 people. Anyone after that is just fluff to get the missions done faster.

When I played the multiplayer beta about month ago I was like, meh. But with the single player, I was pleasantly surprised. It seems more polished than part II. I liked the game even with the ending the way it was. Multiplayer to me is still meh... "Download" trophy is a serious grind.

The facebook game takes way too long to become useful... I just got to Rome last night, and I'm on sequence 7 in the game (and as I've stated before- i'm taking my sweet time).

Getting some of the items is a pain too because you have to build them out of other items you have to build- the Heavy Calvary comes to mind.

bread's done
Back