Batman Arkham City:Last DLC, GOTY, Red Hood/Hush next villan's, Batmobile

using robin is sick i cant wait for them to release nightwing fuck i can spend hours just doing challenge rooms. batman beyond skin looks pretty good too just wish they had a mcginis option of some kind.

I was kinda surprised to see that Catwoman came with 2 additional skins.

The Animated Series Skin looks...well, it looks out of place. But it's still awesome with its' Jay Leno Chin of Justice.

I started up a game of Normal so I could unlock NG+ (This means I beat it once already). Focusing on Story Missions seems to speed up the process a bit more.

i started on hard and ive died alot but its fun gliding is tricky especially when you have a time limit to beat. im hopeful the rest of the bat family will be added via dlc itd be cool to see azrael batman too.

I posted on the AC site technical board about the fact it does not play in 1080 on the ps3. No replies yet.

Is anyone else experiencing some glitches here and there? I've fallen through the floor of the game 3-4 times and it's always when I divebomb.

Played most of yesterday and I've enjoyed it. Haven't been playing the story missions- mostly just collecting riddler trophies and doing side missions until I get frustrated, then I go back to the game.

For the life of me, I can't get the 5th AR mission. It's the one by the chemical plant in the lower right side of the map where you have to drift out perfectly to catch the bottom of the first ring and then dive down into a clowns mouth and drive for EVER. I always bottom out. Is there an accessory later that makes those easier?

I finished all the other ones and I'm at 90%. It's driving me nuts.

Is anyone having issues with the game freezing/stuttering for a few seconds at the beginning of cutscenes? Happened to me at the beginning of the game, then early on when
Batman jumped into the chimney

Wondering if it is just my experience, or it is happening to other PS3 players, or perhaps PS3 and 360 players.

I'm hearing a lot about the game stuttering at the beginning of cutscenes for players on both consoles. It happened to me a few times here and there and happens to my brother on the 360 version pretty often.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Is anyone having issues with the game freezing/stuttering for a few seconds at the beginning of cutscenes? Happened to me at the beginning of the game, then early on when
Batman jumped into the chimney

Wondering if it is just my experience, or it is happening to other PS3 players, or perhaps PS3 and 360 players.[/QUOTE]

Don't think that justifies a spoiler

[quote name='shadowkast']Don't think that justifies a spoiler[/QUOTE]

People become mindless fools when it comes to what is or isn't a spoiler.

I'm surprised people haven't made death threats to the OP for including Mad Hatter and Nightwing in the thread title.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I'm hearing a lot about the game stuttering at the beginning of cutscenes for players on both consoles. It happened to me a few times here and there and happens to my brother on the 360 version pretty often.[/QUOTE]

Wow, not only is the game only 720p even though it says 1080p, they can't even get it to run smooth then?I'd accept some stuttering in 1080p.

[quote name='6er']Wow, not only is the game only 720p even though it says 1080p, they can't even get it to run smooth then?I'd accept some stuttering in 1080p.[/QUOTE]

I've had a number of games (Dead Space and MLB 09 come to mind immediately) that although they will play in 1080P, it defaults to 720P. If you uncheck the 720P option in the Video Settings in the XMB, it should load up as 1080P. However, whenever you go back to a 720P only game with 720P unchecked, it will play at 480P. I ended up getting sick of checking/unchecking for borderline unnoticeable change on a 52" Sharp Aquos, and just play at whatever the game defaults to.

And I have noticed the freezing at the start of cutscenes too. Freaked me out the first time, as i thought the game locked up...

[quote name='noisesquared']I've had a number of games (Dead Space and MLB 09 come to mind immediately) that although they will play in 1080P, it defaults to 720P. If you uncheck the 720P option in the Video Settings in the XMB, it should load up as 1080P. However, whenever you go back to a 720P only game with 720P unchecked, it will play at 480P. I ended up getting sick of checking/unchecking for borderline unnoticeable change on a 52" Sharp Aquos, and just play at whatever the game defaults to.
..[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip, ill try it out in a few minutes and report back. But i hear 3d is 720 only, so if I want to play I. 3d ill have to switch. I still consider it a game issue. Most games work correctly.

Edit. Freakin crap it worked. Thanks again. And it looks better now. No slow down at all so far. They really still need to patch that. I checked back to back, my 55 shows a lot more jagged lines on characters in 720p. So this game.might be worth the switch for you

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']Anyone have an extra NOS code? I can't drink energy drinks otherwise I'd gladly buy one. Not going to waste money on something I can't use.[/QUOTE]

If u haven't heard gamestop leaked an ad for dlc, a $5 pack with 6 costumes, including the beyond one. Basically all the pre order bonus costumes save for one or something like.

So I wanted to start it a bit tonight but I see that you can only add Catwoman at the beginning. Of course, my download speeds are horribly slow... roughly 100KB/s right so I'll have to download it overnight. Guess I won't be starting it until tomorrow then and I'll be busy all day tomorrow so I might not even get to play it then.

Figures, a high profile new game comes out and Sony's network can't keep up.

[quote name='Vinny']So I wanted to start it a bit tonight but I see that you can only add Catwoman at the beginning. Of course, my download speeds are horribly slow... roughly 100KB/s right so I'll have to download it overnight. Guess I won't be starting it until tomorrow then and I'll be busy all day tomorrow so I might not even get to play it then.

Figures, a high profile new game comes out and Sony's network can't keep up.[/QUOTE]

It only took me like...10 minutes to download last night...

[quote name='SynGamer']It only took me like...10 minutes to download last night...[/QUOTE]

What time? PSN is always slow for me during from 3:00PM to 9:00PM, then it picks up speed. I usually don't bother downloading stuff unless it's in the background or unless it's past 10PM when speeds hit 300-600KB/ps for me.

Finally got to use my Animated Skin costume. Along with the Catwoman Animated Skin costume, they look pretty awesome.

Easy Mode = No Fun Allowed. No Skins, no New Game Plus, No Skipping Credits, etc.

Damn, as someone pointed out elsewhere the BB copy is a pack-in and it turns out a separate UPC as well. Oh well, no Robin for me then. Not a huge loss anyway.

Got a reply from WB games about the game not playing in 1080p(see previous page for details and impractical solution), they are escalating the case for review(investigation?)

Wow, all I hear about this game is more issues. Glad I'm not planning to play it for a while because it sounds like they have a lot to fix. Also, I hear there's a trophy requiring you to set your internal PS3 clock to all sorts of dates or else you'd have to play on certain dates over a year. Go overboard much Rocksteady? I think Sony needs to tighten creative license over some of these bullshit trophies because a few are seriously out of control.

I got release day delivery from wal mart but think I'll finish the forza 4 career before I start. Maybe play some battlefield 3 if I get my reward zone certs in time. Give rocksteady some time to fix the game.

[quote name='Vinny']What time? PSN is always slow for me during from 3:00PM to 9:00PM, then it picks up speed. I usually don't bother downloading stuff unless it's in the background or unless it's past 10PM when speeds hit 300-600KB/ps for me.[/QUOTE]

Around 8:00PM EST I believe.

[quote name='Lost_In_Shadows']Mines still on the way from Toysrus. Are all the online passes blank?[/QUOTE]

No. It seems like it's only a CE issue, but who knows. My guess is Catwoman was cut because of the 360's disc space issue. I've heard it's a 7.8gb install on 360, and that's the max size allowed on a single disc. Catwoman DLC is around 200mb extra.

So I'm deep into the post game and I've pretty much concluded that Arkham Asylum > Arkham City. I've just become overwhelmed by the game (not a good thing here) and it's become too much after a while. Not to mention the random Assaults, the seemingly random nature in which side quests show up, and just the sheer amount of Collectibles. It stops becoming fun after a while. Arkham Asylum really didn't have this problem of overburdening the player. At some point, they should've scaled back.

sucks about the online pass issue mine worked perfectly same for the robin code. man seems like more and more lately there have been isues with games with online pass codes.

[quote name='KingBroly']No. It seems like it's only a CE issue, but who knows. My guess is Catwoman was cut because of the 360's disc space issue. I've heard it's a 7.8gb install on 360, and that's the max size allowed on a single disc. Catwoman DLC is around 200mb extra.

So I'm deep into the post game and I've pretty much concluded that Arkham Asylum > Arkham City. I've just become overwhelmed by the game (not a good thing here) and it's become too much after a while. Not to mention the random Assaults, the seemingly random nature in which side quests show up, and just the sheer amount of Collectibles. It stops becoming fun after a while. Arkham Asylum really didn't have this problem of overburdening the player. At some point, they should've scaled back.[/QUOTE]

you choose to collect that shit. no one is forcing you.

the only thing i liked about asylum more was the combat seemed a little more forgiving at keeping your combo up.

[quote name='KingBroly']So I'm deep into the post game and I've pretty much concluded that Arkham Asylum > Arkham City. I've just become overwhelmed by the game (not a good thing here) and it's become too much after a while. Not to mention the random Assaults, the seemingly random nature in which side quests show up, and just the sheer amount of Collectibles. It stops becoming fun after a while. Arkham Asylum really didn't have this problem of overburdening the player. At some point, they should've scaled back.[/QUOTE]

Some people have had the same complaint about Dark Souls (sequel to Demon's Souls). The devs took a great game and made it much bigger and more complex. I think that's great - it's only an issue for OCD completionists who now have to work that much harder to finish everything and get their platinum. You shouldn't feel over-burdened; just enjoy the parts you like and don't treat the game like a to-do list. Usually I'm in that category, but for Dark Souls I'm just enjoying the breadth and depth of the game. Hopefully that will be true for Batman:AC, too.

I collected all the stuff in AA. It's done better there, plain and simple (well except the floating question marks). While some were frustrating, I never felt overburdened by the amount of content like I do with AC. It's part of the main game and is subject to criticism, just like Warner's decision to make Catwoman DLC and then subsequently screwing it up.

Bigger does not always equal better.

I said screw everything else and started the game. Catwoman is a lot more fun to use than I thought and the game plays great.

My only complaints are that the loading times seem REALLY long (and I just finished Deus Ex on the PS3) and I can't figure out what to do when there are two guys about to attack you. Sometimes I can get away with hitting one and countering the other or I just use evade (which is difficult because the attack indicators aren't always together) but usually that's what's getting me killed in fights.

Also, it kinda sucks that every time I get into a fight, I get jumped by 10 other dudes... big fights are fun every now and then but now when there's one around every corner.

[quote name='Vinny']I said screw everything else and started the game. Catwoman is a lot more fun to use than I thought and the game plays great.

My only complaints are that the loading times seem REALLY long (and I just finished Deus Ex on the PS3) and I can't figure out what to do when there are two guys about to attack you. Sometimes I can get away with hitting one and countering the other or I just use evade (which is difficult because the attack indicators aren't always together) but usually that's what's getting me killed in fights.

Also, it kinda sucks that every time I get into a fight, I get jumped by 10 other dudes... big fights are fun every now and then but now when there's one around every corner.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I love the big fights. Regarding the two guys attacking at once, I'm not sure if there's something I'm doing, but when I counter I usually counter in a way that takes them both out at once. Pretty sure I'm not doing anything special and I don't recall an upgrade to do it.

Oh, and I hate enemies with knives/swords. For the life of me I can't get the timing down to counter them correctly for a takedown.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Oh, I love the big fights. Regarding the two guys attacking at once, I'm not sure if there's something I'm doing, but when I counter I usually counter in a way that takes them both out at once. Pretty sure I'm not doing anything special and I don't recall an upgrade to do it.

Oh, and I hate enemies with knives/swords. For the life of me I can't get the timing down to counter them correctly for a takedown.[/QUOTE]

Weird... I've never taken out two guys at once, whenever I counter in those situations, Batman just goes after one guy. I think I'll tone this down to normal. I want to beat this game before Uncharted 3.

BTW, I don't think you can counter the guys with weapons (at least in AA you couldn't). You have to the Batclaw or Batterang to get them off balance first.

[quote name='KingBroly']I collected all the stuff in AA. It's done better there, plain and simple (well except the floating question marks). While some were frustrating, I never felt overburdened by the amount of content like I do with AC. It's part of the main game and is subject to criticism, just like Warner's decision to make Catwoman DLC and then subsequently screwing it up.

Bigger does not always equal better.[/QUOTE]

I think Red Dead Redemption was worse with side missions but AC you can do all the extra stuff or in your case just do the main story, don't really see the problem

[quote name='KingBroly']
So I'm deep into the post game and I've pretty much concluded that Arkham Asylum > Arkham City. I've just become overwhelmed by the game (not a good thing here) and it's become too much after a while. Not to mention the random Assaults, the seemingly random nature in which side quests show up, and just the sheer amount of Collectibles. It stops becoming fun after a while. Arkham Asylum really didn't have this problem of overburdening the player. At some point, they should've scaled back.[/QUOTE]
The side missions aren't really random, they just take you getting to a certain point in the game to give you the next part in the mission. I think the only one that may not be like that is the Identity Theft side mission. I'm about to finish the campaign and I agree though, AA was without a doubt the better game.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']The side missions aren't really random, they just take you getting to a certain point in the game to give you the next part in the mission. I think the only one that may not be like that is the Identity Theft side mission. I'm about to finish the campaign and I agree though, AA was without a doubt the better game.[/QUOTE]
I was afraid of this the moment I saw how epic the city is via TV trailer. I was both elated and immediately overwhelmed with thoughts of 'oh god, how much stuff did they pack into this. . .' Gettting the plat in AA was a ton of fun except for that god damn shock and awe challenge lol. Finding collectibles wasn't too bad since the game design was somewhat restrained. Here though, hoo boy.

So I re-started on normal and the combat just feels too easy now... oh well, I can at least enjoy the game now.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']The only thing I've really had a problem with so far is the advanced AR missions. Some of them are hard as shit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I gotta agree... they're very hard. I can't even get past the 3rd one on the first AR challenge. There's so much to do in this game and the difficulty is significantly higher than AA. I was going to try for the platinum sooner or later but I think I'll be passing. This game is just HUGE and there's so much to do. It'll be fun to play but I don't have that much time to invest for the trophy.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']The only thing I've really had a problem with so far is the advanced AR missions. Some of them are hard as shit.[/QUOTE]

i was doing ok with these until i ran into one near jokers hideout fuckin hell i cant get that last marker before touching the ground. love the game though oddly enough im not overwhelmed by all the stuff i like it its fun to run into new things.

The games fun as hell, but some of the trophies are fucking frustrating to get. The advanced AR missions took me like 30 mins each to finish, and the 50x combo trophy took me an hour, restarting one spot over and over until I got it
The fight in Mad Hatter's dream or whatever that was
. I think if I tried to platinum this I'd go insane.

[quote name='Vinny']Weird... I've never taken out two guys at once, whenever I counter in those situations, Batman just goes after one guy. I think I'll tone this down to normal. I want to beat this game before Uncharted 3.

BTW, I don't think you can counter the guys with weapons (at least in AA you couldn't). You have to the Batclaw or Batterang to get them off balance first.[/QUOTE]

When there are two guys coming at you to counter, you have to press Triangle multiple times in order to counter both at the same time. Don't remember if it works for 3+ guys.

So far, I'm about 57% of the way through the single player campaign (according to the status screen, at least) and I'm having lots of fun with the game. While I did have to try the Advanced AR missions multiple times before I was successful, once I was it felt great. The first boss fight, while I loved the idea, I felt kinda let down, from a game design perspective. Spoilering it mainly because I mention the character it's against.
During Grundy's fight, your goal is to quick-place bat-explosives on the ground. The problem I had with this is that I never used it in Aslyum, if it even was a move then. Without the commands on the screen saying "Press L1 and Square (iirc) to do...", I would not have known about that move at all. I'd likely spend way too much time trying to get Grundy to use his wrecking balls to kill the generators for me. Wonder how many people knew about quick-explosives before that fight.

[quote name='Salamando3000']When there are two guys coming at you to counter, you have to press Triangle multiple times in order to counter both at the same time. Don't remember if it works for 3+ guys.

So far, I'm about 57% of the way through the single player campaign (according to the status screen, at least) and I'm having lots of fun with the game. While I did have to try the Advanced AR missions multiple times before I was successful, once I was it felt great. The first boss fight, while I loved the idea, I felt kinda let down, from a game design perspective. Spoilering it mainly because I mention the character it's against.
During Grundy's fight, your goal is to quick-place bat-explosives on the ground. The problem I had with this is that I never used it in Aslyum, if it even was a move then. Without the commands on the screen saying "Press L1 and Square (iirc) to do...", I would not have known about that move at all. I'd likely spend way too much time trying to get Grundy to use his wrecking balls to kill the generators for me. Wonder how many people knew about quick-explosives before that fight.
[/QUOTE]

I know I sure as hell didn't. I tried the exact same thing with the wrecking balls until I saw the command. Same thing with the electro gun and quickshooting that as well. Luckily that wasn't in a boss fight. Think it was against one of the hammer bros. Well....whichever one had the sickle or whatever.

[quote name='Vinny']So I re-started on normal and the combat just feels too easy now... oh well, I can at least enjoy the game now. [/QUOTE]

i feel like the combat is harder now since the guys have more to throw at you and you really need to be on top of how you handle the situation.

the riddler shit isnt bad. if you interrogate all the guys, every trophy will pop up on your screen.

the combat rooms seems to be a little harder (although i only did one) because (and correct if im wrong) but you gotta do all 3 with only 3 retries available? so if you mess up on a combat challenge youll have to try them again... or does your medals from previous tries carry over?

[quote name='Salamando3000']When there are two guys coming at you to counter, you have to press Triangle multiple times in order to counter both at the same time. Don't remember if it works for 3+ guys.
[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

That seems to be it. I don't get why they didn't just tell you that in the initial or subsequent combat tutorials (or why I didn't think of that). They tell you how to do everything else.

[quote name='8bitArtist']i feel like the combat is harder now since the guys have more to throw at you and you really need to be on top of how you handle the situation.
[/QUOTE]

That's strange because I have yet to be hit by a thrown object. I'm not 100% sure but I've been able to just evade them, sometimes just right over the object while its mid-air. What is irritating is that with so many guys on screen and the camera going all over the place, I still get blind-sided or I'll sometimes be on screen without any enemies viewable and end up attacking in a direction without any enemies. And with so many moves and items, it feels a bit too convoluted.

And I hate to say it but I honestly feel like this game throws way too much into the whole combat thing. I mean, I love Arkham City. It's so alive. But it feels like the combat is a bit too complicated, unlike the first game.

[quote name='Vinny']And I hate to say it but I honestly feel like this game throws way too much into the whole combat thing. I mean, I love Arkham City. It's so alive. But it feels like the combat is a bit too complicated, unlike the first game.[/QUOTE]
Ouch, the combat in the first game was largely the draw for me because it took a lot of skill to master. It was tough, just like Demon's Souls was, but always fair. Sounds like they broke the cardinal rule of keeping it fair, just like Dark Souls did.

[quote name='Jodou']Ouch, the combat in the first game was largely the draw for me because it took a lot of skill to master. It was tough, just like Demon's Souls was, but always fair. Sounds like they broke the cardinal rule of keeping it fair, just like Dark Souls did.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call combat unfair, just bloated. Every couple of quests they seem to be introducing something new to keep in mind during a fight. So far, I've encountered two new special moves that're required to down two specific types of goons, a new weapon type that requires another new move to counter, a number of new gadgets, goons you want to kill last, and a new mechanic that rewards more precise attack-button pressing than just tapping it repeatedly during a fight. I actually kind of like that last one, as it did rewards finesse, but all the others lead to an every increasing need to monitor a lot of stuff.

[/QUOTE]
I'll have to try that, it happens sometimes, but I'm probably just mashing the button.

Robin has a cool dual-counter where he throws his staff and it bounces off both guys.

bread's done
Back