Batman Arkham City:Last DLC, GOTY, Red Hood/Hush next villan's, Batmobile

[quote name='nbballard']Robin has a cool dual-counter where he throws his staff and it bounces off both guys.[/QUOTE]
So with this Robin DLC that BB had for pre-orders: is it fair to say it's akin to Catwoman in the online pass where it adds storyline and not just another playable character? I really think Rocksteady handled this poorly and now we're seeing why I've been against DLC/online passes from the start. They have started to piecemeal content together from day one instead of using DLC to accentuate the experience months later. Granted it does come free with new copies which is the only reason why people aren't totally up in arms over it, but this to me is going overboard for what they're trying to accomplish. I mean, five years down the road what if you wanted this content and it's no longer available? This trend needs to stop because people have given them an inch and they're taking a mile.

^BBY Robin pack is like the Joker pack in B:AA. It doesn't change his involvement in the actual game from what I can tell.

That said- The screwed up the catwoman stuff with the bad codes, but i don't really have a problem with the "new copy content" approach. I do feel like her story line would have been better as a seperate campaign (ala RE4 "Seperate Ways"). Playing as her before the game started and between a few scenes really just feels strange.

Combat Challenge Tip: Get 5x Combo, use Square + Cross, repeat. Why? Check my Leaderboard score for Survival of the Fittest onward, that's why. Easy Medals.

[quote name='Jodou']Ouch, the combat in the first game was largely the draw for me because it took a lot of skill to master. It was tough, just like Demon's Souls was, but always fair. Sounds like they broke the cardinal rule of keeping it fair, just like Dark Souls did.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Salamando3000']I wouldn't call combat unfair, just bloated. Every couple of quests they seem to be introducing something new to keep in mind during a fight. So far, I've encountered two new special moves that're required to down two specific types of goons, a new weapon type that requires another new move to counter, a number of new gadgets, goons you want to kill last, and a new mechanic that rewards more precise attack-button pressing than just tapping it repeatedly during a fight. I actually kind of like that last one, as it did rewards finesse, but all the others lead to an every increasing need to monitor a lot of stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wouldn't call the combat unfair at all. Yes, you'll get hit a few times out of nowhere and I wish they would let you counter while in the middle of a takedown move (which is stupid, because the real Batman could easily counter it).

The only problem with the combat is that there are so many moves that it becomes overwhelming. In AA, when I was in the flow of combat, I was kicking ass like a boss and mixing up all the moves without effort. In this game, I always end up doing something clumsy like using the explosive gel (which I don't even know how to.. I just end up doing it and I don't even know how to ignite it during combat!) and then just stand there like an idiot because I thought I pressed the buttons to use the grapple hook or shock gun. And then my multiplier resets.

BTW, does anyone know if this game has any missble trophies? I might do the platinum run in the future sometime.

Catch is missable. But you can get it in 10 minutes after starting a new game.

I'm finding it hard to do 15 of these Combat Challenges since I beat the game. Knock an armored guy into another guy, aerial attack onto another guy, etc.

Beat all the Combat Challenges, now for the Predator ones and the Campaigns. Top 100 in everything.

[quote name='KingBroly']Catch is missable. But you can get it in 10 minutes after starting a new game.

I'm finding it hard to do 15 of these Combat Challenges since I beat the game. Knock an armored guy into another guy, aerial attack onto another guy, etc.

Beat all the Combat Challenges, now for the Predator ones and the Campaigns. Top 100 in everything.[/QUOTE]

That's good. Because there's simply an overwhelming amount stuff you have to do in this game... any idea how long the regular story mode lasts (assuming minimal side-quest completion)?

6 hours if you don't get sidetracked. It's about the same length as Arkham Asylum. Thing is that it's so damn easy to get sidetracked into making you think the game's longer.

I got all 440 Riddler Challenges done. The last couple of Combat ones were tricky as hell. I personally think these guys hate people with OCD, because some of the things you have to do are ridiculous.

I did the first 4 Predator Challenges, 3 Medals each. I got Top 100 in 3 of them.

I also did 2 Campaign Challenges. Wow...that stuff is going to be brutal. You have 3 Modifiers you can pick throughout 3 Maps (first one is 2 Predator, 1 Combat; second one is the opposite) and you have to use all 3, so you have to pick which ones you want for each map carefully. I didn't know this until Map 3 of Campaign 1 where I got stuck with all 3 (I thought I could skip them). I still managed to do it, but I'm wiser for it.

The Combat Challenges (except for Funhouse Brawl/Extreme) are really fun. No items, Fox only, Final Destination. That sorta thing.

Also, (Catwoman DLC related)
on Mission 3, you can end the game early by going right

[quote name='KingBroly']Also, (Catwoman DLC related)
on Mission 3, you can end the game early by going right
[/QUOTE]

But it rewinds on you. If anything, it makes the game take longer.

[quote name='Indignate']
But it rewinds on you. If anything, it makes the game take longer.
[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask what happens if you choose the other option.

I really loved the gameplay, I didn't find it to be broken or unfair. It certainly was alot to take in though, and I didn't find the game's introductory tutorial to be very helpful: the text would seem to pop out as soon as it came up. Outside of that though I love the gameplay improvements, and all of the extra things you can do.

If there was something I didn't like about the game, it would be the story. I had a running concern that the game would be too bloated with characters that you wouldn't really get to spend any time with them, and that seemed to be pretty spot-on. Although the intro was pretty damn cool, I felt they didn't really give us a good explanation of how AC came to be (I understand that was probably explained in the comic prequel but still)

To get into ever more spoilerish things:
I was not pleased with the ending. Hugo Strange is an intriguing character, so I was expecting alot out of protocol 10, what he would do with his knowledge of Wayne, and who he might've been working for, I was also just expecting him to have more of an intimidating presence, really getting into the Dark Knight's head. I was not pleased with the end results: protocol 10 was just blasting the inmates with rocket fire, Hugo's knowledge died with him (seriosuly, no back-up parameters?), and the guy behind all of this was a dude I beat the crap out of halfway through the game. Also: I'm not a huge comics fan but I thought Ras Al Guhl was an eco terrorist?

I didn't like the pacing of the ending either: the fight with "Joker" added a second crescendo to the ending (I think the only movie or game that I've liked that did this is Aliens), and it just didn't feel right to have Clayface come out of right field as the final boss. The final cutscene was rather abrupt too, it would've been a bit more poignant if they didn't (possibly) undo it 2 minutes later during the credits.

I find it interesting that NG+ keeps all of your Riddles and Upgrades from the first playthrough while removing all of the Side Missions.

Also, I'm kinda mad that loading is a lot worse than Arkham Asylum here. I know it's a smaller install, but you would've thought Rocksteady made improvements to that aspect of designing for PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']I find it interesting that NG+ keeps all of your Riddles and Upgrades from the first playthrough while removing all of the Side Missions.

Also, I'm kinda mad that loading is a lot worse than Arkham Asylum here. I know it's a smaller install, but you would've thought Rocksteady made improvements to that aspect of designing for PS3.[/QUOTE]

So... wait, is NG+ automatic after you beat the game? Or can you still continue your regular game even after you beat the final boss (a la AA)?

I saw my record and I'm only 31% done. fucking hell... that's probably 31% of the easy stuff. All those AR challenges, Riddler trohpies/challenges... man, this is going to be fucking hard to platinum. I go the 50 hit combo but I still haven't done the freeflow with all the moves. Can't imagine that being fun.

It's a separate icon, so you can continue with either one. Both have Side Missions, but it seems like Riddles are cross-playthroughs.

And since you have all or most of the Riddles at that point, you should have most of the side quests unlocked from the start.

OK. I have to admit that this is the first game in a looong time that I've restarted since I felt I missed some things initially. I was letting a buddy of mine play this the other night and he found some things that I originally had missed. Then again, I was just going point a to point b to point c along the storyline with very little exploring.

So I started doing some more exploring last night and just taking out random batches of goons/helping political prisoners I found along the way and I've already leveled up at least 2-3x from having done more exploring versus playing the other way the other night. It definitely helps to keep detective mode on for as long a possible, since you will find a LOT more hidden stuff that way.

I finally got a chance to sit down and play this, and it keeps freezing up. Its so frustrating! I tried every possible solution I could think of, from deleting and reinstalling the game data to starting a new file. Completely unplayable

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']OK. I have to admit that this is the first game in a looong time that I've restarted since I felt I missed some things initially. I was letting a buddy of mine play this the other night and he found some things that I originally had missed. Then again, I was just going point a to point b to point c along the storyline with very little exploring.

So I started doing some more exploring last night and just taking out random batches of goons/helping political prisoners I found along the way and I've already leveled up at least 2-3x from having done more exploring versus playing the other way the other night. It definitely helps to keep detective mode on for as long a possible, since you will find a LOT more hidden stuff that way.[/QUOTE]

the only time i dont have detective mode on is during boss fights other than that its too easy to miss shit it you dont.

hard mode is only frustrating during fights one minute i think im doing great then bam i get hit when i try to counter then another hit and even after pulling off 2 or so 20 hit combos im dead. really makes you feel like a noob.

[quote name='ARCorr']I finally got a chance to sit down and play this, and it keeps freezing up. Its so frustrating! I tried every possible solution I could think of, from deleting and reinstalling the game data to starting a new file. Completely unplayable[/QUOTE]
Try doing RESTORE FILE SYSTEM from the PS3's safe mode menu.

Here's a guide to tell you how to get into it:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/10/14/keep-your-ps3-safe-with-this-guide/

It's basically like a defrag for the PS3, cleans up the hdd and makes stuff run faster/smoother. I do it every so often when I've deleted/installed a bunch of stuff.

Am I missing something or is there any reason to play through the first time on Hard? If I play through on normal, it will still unlock NG+ and NG+ is the only difficulty trophy, right?

[quote name='Mikocouch']Am I missing something or is there any reason to play through the first time on Hard? If I play through on normal, it will still unlock NG+ and NG+ is the only difficulty trophy, right?[/QUOTE]

The satisfaction of beating it on hard? That's all hard mode was before achievements came about.

Anyways, just beat the game today and I'm a little bothered by the fact that Batman
carried out the Joker instead of Talia. If I didn't know any better, seems like Rocksteady is trying to tell us who Bruce really loved.

[quote name='iamsmart']If there was something I didn't like about the game, it would be the story. I had a running concern that the game would be too bloated with characters that you wouldn't really get to spend any time with them, and that seemed to be pretty spot-on. Although the intro was pretty damn cool, I felt they didn't really give us a good explanation of how AC came to be (I understand that was probably explained in the comic prequel but still)

To get into ever more spoilerish things:
I was not pleased with the ending. Hugo Strange is an intriguing character, so I was expecting alot out of protocol 10, what he would do with his knowledge of Wayne, and who he might've been working for, I was also just expecting him to have more of an intimidating presence, really getting into the Dark Knight's head. I was not pleased with the end results: protocol 10 was just blasting the inmates with rocket fire, Hugo's knowledge died with him (seriosuly, no back-up parameters?), and the guy behind all of this was a dude I beat the crap out of halfway through the game. Also: I'm not a huge comics fan but I thought Ras Al Guhl was an eco terrorist?

I didn't like the pacing of the ending either: the fight with "Joker" added a second crescendo to the ending (I think the only movie or game that I've liked that did this is Aliens), and it just didn't feel right to have Clayface come out of right field as the final boss. The final cutscene was rather abrupt too, it would've been a bit more poignant if they didn't (possibly) undo it 2 minutes later during the credits.
[/QUOTE]

The comic prequel did indeed explain how we got from Arkham Asylum to Arkham City...well, kinda...the quick and dirty version:
Two low level criminals operating under directions from Strange use up a supply of Titan to become titan-enchanced freaks. Sharp holds a dedication ceremony for the new Gotham City Hall, as a gesture of "restoring morale" or "sending a message". The Titan freaks show up, fight with Batman for a bit, before blowing themselves up with bombs Strange hid in their bodies. This destroys City Hall, kills three hundred, giving Sharp all the reason he needs to declare martial law. Arkham City is then set up as kind of a "quarantine zone".
All that is taken from the first issue of the comic series (the Arkham City graphic novel thing that was just recently released is a compilation of the 5 issues).

[quote name='Mikocouch']Am I missing something or is there any reason to play through the first time on Hard? If I play through on normal, it will still unlock NG+ and NG+ is the only difficulty trophy, right?[/QUOTE]

i play on hard because normal is always too easy. not to mention in some games they sometimes add trophies based on the difficulty you beat them on not sure if thats the case for ac.

[quote name='Salamando3000']The comic prequel did indeed explain how we got from Arkham Asylum to Arkham City...well, kinda...the quick and dirty version:
Two low level criminals operating under directions from Strange use up a supply of Titan to become titan-enchanced freaks. Sharp holds a dedication ceremony for the new Gotham City Hall, as a gesture of "restoring morale" or "sending a message". The Titan freaks show up, fight with Batman for a bit, before blowing themselves up with bombs Strange hid in their bodies. This destroys City Hall, kills three hundred, giving Sharp all the reason he needs to declare martial law. Arkham City is then set up as kind of a "quarantine zone".
All that is taken from the first issue of the comic series (the Arkham City graphic novel thing that was just recently released is a compilation of the 5 issues).[/QUOTE]

They really could've thrown that in the game at some point, relatively easy too. If you have to read external material to understand a game's story, the developers/writers of the game have inherently failed. I'll reiterate one more thing about Batman in this game:
Batman is kind of an asshole in this game and it comes across as going against what the character stands for at point. '4 guards, 2 hostages, still will be easy.' is one of the lines. Batman doesn't say things like that.

I beat NG+, and I'm kinda mad at the last part where
You're Catwoman and you have to take down Two-Face with 6 guards that infinitely respawn. I hate infinitely spawning enemies. It took me a half hour or so to do.
I'm going to find a map of all the Assaults for that Side Mission again. You need to do all Side Missions twice for 100%, which is bullshit.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'll reiterate one more thing about Batman in this game:
Batman is kind of an asshole in this game and it comes across as going against what the character stands for at point. '4 guards, 2 hostages, still will be easy.' is one of the lines. Batman doesn't say things like that.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe a sign of the developer's own new-found arrogance after AA? Also, was Alfred such a smart ass in the last game? I can't remember...

[quote name='Indignate']The satisfaction of beating it on hard? That's all hard mode was before achievements came about.

Anyways, just beat the game today and I'm a little bothered by the fact that Batman
carried out the Joker instead of Talia. If I didn't know any better, seems like Rocksteady is trying to tell us who Bruce really loved.
[/QUOTE]
Well really, what would you do?
The Joker is the absolute antithesis of Batman. He is the ultimate enemy and it makes sense that he really mourned his loss. I know I'd be super sad inside if my greatest enemy died because after all, our enemies bring out the best in us.

[quote name='ARCorr']I finally got a chance to sit down and play this, and it keeps freezing up. Its so frustrating! I tried every possible solution I could think of, from deleting and reinstalling the game data to starting a new file. Completely unplayable[/QUOTE]

Sounds like ylod is coming

man this game is full of surprises im enjoying the cameos definelty a game for the comic nerd. its one of the few games in years ive wanted to stay up late to play.

Yeah. I'm shocked that I put off playing GTA with a friend last night to play more of this. By the time I quit out of this game to play a lil with them they had already quit for the night. It's a rarity when I'd choose another game over messing around in GTA.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Well really, what would you do?
The Joker is the absolute antithesis of Batman. He is the ultimate enemy and it makes sense that he really mourned his loss. I know I'd be super sad inside if my greatest enemy died because after all, our enemies bring out the best in us.
[/QUOTE]

But shouldn't the love of your life do that as well? Well, maybe not in this exact circumstance since Talia wants him to kill, but you get the point. I still found it a little awkward.

[quote name='Indignate']
But shouldn't the love of your life do that as well? Well, maybe not in this exact circumstance since Talia wants him to kill, but you get the point. I still found it a little awkward.
[/QUOTE]
Nah, I get where he's coming from. I'd pick my enemy up over my girl. Especially since we all know she's gonna get thrown in a Laz pit.

[quote name='Vinny']Maybe a sign of the developer's own new-found arrogance after AA? Also, was Alfred such a smart ass in the last game? I can't remember...[/QUOTE]

Alfred wasn't in AA. They don't even have a character trophy for him here.

Also, NG+ is harder than Hard Mode. It's also not that hard. The hardest part about it was the last Catwoman Mission. I must've died...a dozen times on the last part alone.

Did anyone notice in the ending that.....
Clayface ended up getting knocked into the Lazarus pit? Maybe he comes back as super Clayface! :D

So anyone have any ideas about a possible third game?

Based off of the Azrael sidequest, it seems like Hell may come to Gotham. Could we possibly see the Joker make a return if only to play a part as a demon? And speaking of demons, Batman has a lot of history with Etrigan...

if they do one dont expect joker to be a part of it since this is hamils last go as the joker. heres to hoping we finally get a decent batman beyond game.

[quote name='KingBroly']Alfred wasn't in AA. They don't even have a character trophy for him here.

Also, NG+ is harder than Hard Mode. It's also not that hard. The hardest part about it was the last Catwoman Mission. I must've died...a dozen times on the last part alone.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's probably why I remember Oracle fine but can't remember a thing about Alfred.:lol:

Anyway, just beat the game. The ending was definitely surprising. Can't say it's a bad game by any means but it falls short of AA in many ways. I get that the "newness" can not be repeated in sequels but still, it just seemed like they kept adding things that felt tacked on (like the political prisoners side missions, having to do multiple phone scans to find Zsasz) and roughly half the moves/gadgets really seemed like gimmicky add-ons or only played a very minor role (the electric gun and the ability to avoid the thermal scanning enemies).

Also, it sucks that you can't switch between Catwoman and Batman on the fly and have to do it at specific points, which combined with the long ass loading times, makes doing the extras feel like a chore.:whistle2:/

EDIT* I've looking at some side quests guide and one says that the Mystery Stalker trophy is missable cause it disappears after late in the game... fuck me.

[quote name='Fatesealer']I like how the Animated Series skin doesn't just reskin Batman, but Catwoman too... maybe others...[/QUOTE]

Except each DLC character comes with all the DLC Skins. Catwoman DLC comes with 2 additional skins.

And no, the only missable Trophy in AC is Catch, which requires the Mystery Stalker Side Mission. The guy is there, you just have to respawn him.

[quote name='KingBroly']

And no, the only missable Trophy in AC is Catch, which requires the Mystery Stalker Side Mission. The guy is there, you just have to respawn him.[/QUOTE]

Alright, good to hear.

I'm doing the collectables now... took me nearly 2 hours and some of them were driving me nuts. Luckily, GamesRader has a really good guide on the Riddler collectibles, which made things much easier.

I completed the 2 All-Combat Campaigns. Not all that tough, even though the one with the Armored Guy Modifier left me wondering if I could do it after 2 rounds. Oh, and being Super Tough on Blind Justice Extreme. My score was really low for that one. I should've used Super Tough Enemies for that one to boost my score.

I also tried the Joker's Carnival DLC Map. I got around 465,000, so 1 Medal. I don't really know how to describe that one. If it didn't have the time limit, or one so strict, it'd be really fun I just don't know how I'll be able to get 3 Medals on that. I'll try and get my Perfect Freeflow 2.0 on it since it seems really easy.

I completed the story mode and most of the side missions and I'm pretty disappointed with the game. I thought AA was a much better game.

I feel like it ended strangely and abruptly. After fighting Clayface, I had no idea the game was going to end and was actually shocked when the credits rolled. Not only was Clayface the easiest boss in the game, he showed up so suddenly and I can't even remember him having any lines. They really should have gone farther with the story.
The side missions are all pretty boring and end anticlimactically. You just sneak up behind Zsasz and take him out without him ever noticing. Bane runs into a cage and that's that. The mysterious guy just tells you his name and leaves.
The area designs seem pretty generic compare to AA from what I remember. The sewers where you fought Killer Croc and Poison Ivy's lair were more memorable then anything in this game.
There should have been more/better boss battles. The battle with Mr Freeze was pretty amazing since it required you to actually try new things rather than finding what works and doing it over and over.

Interesting note about that last boss fight you mentioned:
Mr. Freeze requires more hits on higher difficulties, meaning you have to use more of the 12 ways to hit him.

I'm 6 Campaigns away from getting Platinum in this, and End of the Line Extreme is going to be a BITCH to do in a Campaign setting.

[quote name='KingBroly']Interesting note about that last boss fight you mentioned:
Mr. Freeze requires more hits on higher difficulties, meaning you have to use more of the 12 ways to hit him.

I'm 6 Campaigns away from getting Platinum in this, and End of the Line Extreme is going to be a BITCH to do in a Campaign setting.[/QUOTE]

I just noticed the trophy guide/roadmap and was surprised to see your name on it, and was like, "I've seen that name somewhere.":lol:

Very nice work and after reading it, I think I'll pass on the platinum for this game for the time being. There's simply way too much involved.

It's not that involved. It's just that you have to do everything (besides Riddles and Challenges) twice. Combat Challenges are a breeze though. Get a 5x Combo and Bat Swarm all day, everyday! Predator Challenges though...man, that's like pulling teeth.

Still, I'm now in the Double Batinum Club!

[quote name='KingBroly']It's not that involved. It's just that you have to do everything (besides Riddles and Challenges) twice. Combat Challenges are a breeze though. Get a 5x Combo and Bat Swarm all day, everyday! Predator Challenges though...man, that's like pulling teeth.

Still, I'm now in the Double Batinum Club![/QUOTE]

I was backwards on that, at least for Arkham Asylum. While I haven't done all the Predator missions in the new game, it seems to be similarly easy as long as you have all the gadgets. The main problem with Predator is waiting for enemies to get into place to succeed in the challenges. But since it's not timed to get them (at least from what I've played) I can take my time with them and get 3 stars the first time I play them.

I'll have to take your advice on the 5x/Bat Swarm. Haven't really spent any time with the combat missions, so I'll give that a shot once I do. I always try for the variations since that boosts up the score, but if you suggest using only the swarm, I'll see how that works.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's not that involved. It's just that you have to do everything (besides Riddles and Challenges) twice. Combat Challenges are a breeze though. Get a 5x Combo and Bat Swarm all day, everyday! Predator Challenges though...man, that's like pulling teeth.

Still, I'm now in the Double Batinum Club![/QUOTE]

Maybe I will try it later on then. I might try out those predator challenges first though to see how bad they really are.

[quote name='KingBroly']They really could've thrown that in the game at some point, relatively easy too. If you have to read external material to understand a game's story, the developers/writers of the game have inherently failed. I'll reiterate one more thing about Batman in this game:
[/QUOTE]I think there's a link in the OP showing his "bad" side.

[quote name='lokizz']if they do one dont expect joker to be a part of it since this is hamils last go as the joker. heres to hoping we finally get a decent batman beyond game.[/QUOTE]YES PLEASE, I think there was a poll on IGN asking if rocksteady should move onto other superheroes or stick with batman.

bread's done
Back