Bestbuy.com / Dealtree EZtrade-in programs (trade games for BB gift cards or PayPal)

nakanenui

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So I happened to find a list of their games that they are giving some good money on, I guess to compete with Gamestop. Here is a copy of the list. I dont know if you have to trade in more than 1 game to get the deal, but thought others would be able to chime in with their experience. Of note is the hot shots golf trade in for PS3 (if you were able to get it from the sears clearance).

link
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-Games-Gadgets/null/pcmcat203500050000.c?id=pcmcat203500050000

Added by Io: Note that you can also trade games in using this site:
http://ebay.eztradein.com/ebay/
which is handled by the same processor (Dealtree) used for the Best Buy program. In this case, though, you can get PayPal payments instead of Best Buy gift cards. The trade-in values and processing methods seem to be exactly the same.

-----
I tried looking for the $20 and $30 trade in value games but came up empty, if you want to provide the link so I can add it here, let me know via PM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED: since it keeps getting asked

1. Can I take them to a physical store?
Games need to be mailed in. If you try to do an instore trade from the website it will redirect you to mailing it in.

2. How many days do I have to mail it in?
30 days from initiating the trade. Mail it in ASAP as the processing time until you get your money differs and could be a wait.

3. Are trade in quotes locked in or do they get valued at time of processing?
Get your games in fast enough and you will not have to worry about this. But the majority believe that you are locked in as long as it gets there before the 30 days are up.

4. Do games have to be complete?
Case, Manual, and working game are your only options. So yes, full credit if you have everything. But we are not too sure on how they determine scratches affecting playability (if they physically test the game during processing). Just clean all smudges and fingerprints prior to mailing, and if you have deep scratches it is up to you to chance them saying the game does not work.

5. What happens if they say the game is worth less than trade in quote?
You can either accept their valuation or PAY to have your game shipped back to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the policy is going to be chainwide eventually. If so, they are really limiting their potential trading community down to only the Suzy Soccermoms and Joe Football morons who always buy everything MSRP at their shitty stores.

But I guess maybe they don't wanna have folks grabbing up copies of games on clearance n flooding their used market with shit that won't ever sell(especially at the prices they're probably charging).

I traded in six games last week to take advantage of the B2G1 deal and other than it taking almost 20 minutes because they only had one computer set up for it that I had to wait for it went relatively pain-free. No mention of receipts or anything crazy like that.

The guy did try to tell me that I didn't have the manual to BFBC2 and wasn't going to take the game when it was right there. There were other inserts with it but because EA's manuals are paper thin he didn't think it was there.

Having said that I will never trade anything there again because it was a pretty lengthy ordeal and would have been much worse had customer service actually been busy that day.

Huh. Is the BestBuy Tradein site not working for anyone else? If I click on receive estimate or try to log in, it takes me to the main tradein selection screen.

[quote name='chriscolbert']I traded in six games last week to take advantage of the B2G1 deal and other than it taking almost 20 minutes because they only had one computer set up for it that I had to wait for it went relatively pain-free. No mention of receipts or anything crazy like that.

The guy did try to tell me that I didn't have the manual to BFBC2 and wasn't going to take the game when it was right there. There were other inserts with it but because EA's manuals are paper thin he didn't think it was there.

Having said that I will never trade anything there again because it was a pretty lengthy ordeal and would have been much worse had customer service actually been busy that day.[/QUOTE]
Sometimes it takes me upwards of 30 minutes at Gamestop, especially if they're busy at that time. I still don't get why people think it's going to be an instantaneous transaction, as if the clerks working customer service doing the trade-ins are going to telepathically know you're there to trade stuff in and start inputting your info BEFORE you even walk up to the desk.

When I did my trades about 2-3 weeks ago the cashier doing them had to ask if any other employee had done them before and then needed to know HOW to do them. It's a new process for them taking in game trades in store and I do like that they've extended the trade program to stores now, since mailing them in is more of a pain to me due to the excessive wait time(2-3 WEEKS, not 20 minutes)to get your credit for stuff.

Besides that, you then have to hope that you don't get a nitpicky assessor looking at your trades when they scan them in and check them at the processing center. If you do, then you have to pay return shipping or possibly take a much lower estimate, whereas in store you could just come back and waste another 20 minutes earlier or later in the day when you might get a different cashier taking the trades.

[quote name='Xellos2099']http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-B...s/Problem-with-video-game-trade-in/m-p/173328[/QUOTE]

I have done two separate transactions at my local BB in the last couple days. Each one was a VERY LONG 30+ minute process cause they have NO CLUE what they are doing. First one, we traded in MW2, SSBB Wii, and Pokemon Wii. Ended up with $73 gift card. NO MENTION OF RECEIPT being needed.

Went back last night to trade in 6 more games. The guy at the counter instantly say's "you need receipt as well as need to have purchased from BB". I said something to the effect of "BS". Told him i just did it the night before and the manager standing right next to you was aware. After he talked to like EVERY manager in the building he finally did the trade. 30+ minutes later I had another $58 in credit. Values were EXACTLY as posted online.

So, maybe I got away with something or maybe the receipt stuff is just regional??

BTW some of my games didnt have the manual and so far no one cares. Basically just checked the disk surface for scratches.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Sometimes it takes me upwards of 30 minutes at Gamestop, especially if they're busy at that time. I still don't get why people think it's going to be an instantaneous transaction, as if the clerks working customer service doing the trade-ins are going to telepathically know you're there to trade stuff in and start inputting your info BEFORE you even walk up to the desk.

When I did my trades about 2-3 weeks ago the cashier doing them had to ask if any other employee had done them before and then needed to know HOW to do them. It's a new process for them taking in game trades in store and I do like that they've extended the trade program to stores now, since mailing them in is more of a pain to me due to the excessive wait time(2-3 WEEKS, not 20 minutes)to get your credit for stuff.

Besides that, you then have to hope that you don't get a nitpicky assessor looking at your trades when they scan them in and check them at the processing center. If you do, then you have to pay return shipping or possibly take a much lower estimate, whereas in store you could just come back and waste another 20 minutes earlier or later in the day when you might get a different cashier taking the trades.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess I've gotten spoiled with good luck at GS because every time I go in to trade games nobody is in line or there's several clerks there to help me and it's never taken over five minutes. I know that BB will get better with it if they stick to it, but the guy literally analyzed every inch of the entire package three times and it was just annoying. Especially when the girls in customer service were just hanging around gossiping with three open computers while i had to wait on the Geek Squad computer since that was the only one with the software apparently.

Well, I just locked in $87 worth of DJ Hero. Once I print out my B2G1 coupon tomorrow when I activate my Powerup card I'll go pick up the 2 PS3 and 1 360 versions that I saw today at one store. :D

Just a caution, i traded tons of games to bestbuy over summer, and there were 2 that did not pass inspection and the absolutely refused to let me pay to get them back. Had spoken to at least 3 customer service ppl with no luck. wouldnt have cared but they were worth 50 together

[quote name='chriscolbert']Well I guess I've gotten spoiled with good luck at GS because every time I go in to trade games nobody is in line or there's several clerks there to help me and it's never taken over five minutes. I know that BB will get better with it if they stick to it, but the guy literally analyzed every inch of the entire package three times and it was just annoying. Especially when the girls in customer service were just hanging around gossiping with three open computers while i had to wait on the Geek Squad computer since that was the only one with the software apparently.[/QUOTE]
Even though the guy inspected the games with a fine tooth comb, I know I'd have done the same to assure I wasn't taking in some possibly non working junk games. Would you rather have someone who is gonna take their time and do the transaction right OR someone who is gonna have to ask for someone to come over and show them how to do every portion of the trade process and it takes even LONGER than 30 minutes?
[quote name='dabamus']Well, I just locked in $87 worth of DJ Hero. Once I print out my B2G1 coupon tomorrow when I activate my Powerup card I'll go pick up the 2 PS3 and 1 360 versions that I saw today at one store. :D[/QUOTE]
:bomb::bomb: BASTARD!!! I checked my closest GS today and they had two copies of DJ Hero(one PS3, one 360) and BOTH were 'not for resale'(aka NO BARCODE).:roll::bomb:

Next closest store for me with copies in stock(PS3 ones) is 40 miles away.:roll: Oh well. Looks like I'm keeping my $80-ish in GS credit for now.
[quote name='david12795']so where is the item on gamestop thats shows DJ hero is $10? i would like to check to see if its in stock at my local GS.[/QUOTE]
DJ Hero is NOT $10 on the website, but if you could use the B2G1F coupon that you get when you either get a PowerUp card or convert your EDGE card into PowerUp on the website, then they would come out to about $12 a copy(after 10% PowerUp discount which takes the price down to $18 apiece prior to taxes/shipping).

Unfortunately you CANNOT currently use the B2G1F coupon on the site.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Even though the guy inspected the games with a fine tooth comb, I know I'd have done the same to assure I wasn't taking in some possibly non working junk games. Would you rather have someone who is gonna take their time and do the transaction right OR someone who is gonna have to ask for someone to come over and show them how to do every portion of the trade process and it takes even LONGER than 30 minutes?

:bomb::bomb: BASTARD!!! I checked my closest GS today and they had two copies of DJ Hero(one PS3, one 360) and BOTH were 'not for resale'(aka NO BARCODE).:roll::bomb:

Next closest store for me with copies in stock(PS3 ones) is 40 miles away.:roll: Oh well. Looks like I'm keeping my $80-ish in GS credit for now.

DJ Hero is NOT $10 on the website, but if you could use the B2G1F coupon that you get when you either get a PowerUp card or convert your EDGE card into PowerUp on the website, then they would come out to about $12 a copy(after 10% PowerUp discount which takes the price down to $18 apiece prior to taxes/shipping).

Unfortunately you CANNOT currently use the B2G1F coupon on the site.:cry:[/QUOTE]

thanks. :D. is there a thread page on CAG that discusses about the power up rewards? i have no clue about it. i would love to get it at a discounted price if i already have an edge card. so i guess the only way to check it if its in stock is go in the store and see?

[quote name='david12795']thanks. :D. is there a thread page on CAG that discusses about the power up rewards? i have no clue about it. i would love to get it at a discounted price if i already have an edge card. so i guess the only way to check it if its in stock is go in the store and see?[/QUOTE]
Actually if you have a currently active EDGE card you can get that 'converted' into a PowerUp card for free. Then you just have to come home and register that card on their PowerupRewards.com website and within a few days you'll get an offer under a section called 'Active Offers' where there will be a printable B2G1F coupon.

I think you get about 500 points on the PowerUp card just for activating it online when you get home, putting in a profile and maybe adding a few games to your 'collection' on the site.

But just like Best Buy's Reward Zone program PowerUp requires a TON of purchases and trades before you're eligible for any rewards.:cry:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually if you have a currently active EDGE card you can get that 'converted' into a PowerUp card for free. Then you just have to come home and register that card on their PowerupRewards.com website and within a few days you'll get an offer under a section called 'Active Offers' where there will be a printable B2G1F coupon.

I think you get about 500 points on the PowerUp card just for activating it online when you get home, putting in a profile and maybe adding a few games to your 'collection' on the site.

But just like Best Buy's Reward Zone program PowerUp requires a TON of purchases and trades before you're eligible for any rewards.:cry:[/QUOTE]

really? thanks! i did not know that it was free when you already have an edge card. i could've sworn there was a thread on CAG somewhere that discusses about this power up program. so basically the power up is like an edge card WITH RZ features.

but thank you for mentioning the DJ hero. i guess ill have to go in and convert it my edge first before i can use the coupon? and what is this UPC on the dj hero you mentioned? can i just buy any single version?

Great TIVs for MW:2 and Twilight Princess. I vaguely remember them instituting something like a 3 copy limit per year... is this still in effect? Also, I used the link someone posted above for Paypal - has anyone used this recently to get the full trade amount in paypal? Seems too good to be true?

[quote name='david12795']really? thanks! i did not know that it was free when you already have an edge card. i could've sworn there was a thread on CAG somewhere that discusses about this power up program. so basically the power up is like an edge card WITH RZ features.

but thank you for mentioning the DJ hero. i guess ill have to go in and convert it my edge first before i can use the coupon? and what is this UPC on the dj hero you mentioned? can i just buy any single version?[/QUOTE]
The versions of DJ Hero that are $29 apiece to trade into BB are a newer standalone version that JUST released on 10/19/10.

So chances of finding one of those in stock either online or in store are slim to nil.

You do have to wait at least a week or so before the coupon shows up online for you to use and then you have to print it out.

Here's the UPC's for the versions of DJ Hero Best Buy is giving $29 apiece for, in case someone gets lucky enough to find some in store.;):lol:

:ps3: 047875961920
:wii: 047875961968
:360: 047875961944

Congrats to anyone who finds one of these just two weeks after release in the used section and if you find MORE than one then I hate you.;):booty:

[quote name='hotwls13']I have done two separate transactions at my local BB in the last couple days. Each one was a VERY LONG 30+ minute process cause they have NO CLUE what they are doing. First one, we traded in MW2, SSBB Wii, and Pokemon Wii. Ended up with $73 gift card. NO MENTION OF RECEIPT being needed.

Went back last night to trade in 6 more games. The guy at the counter instantly say's "you need receipt as well as need to have purchased from BB". I said something to the effect of "BS". Told him i just did it the night before and the manager standing right next to you was aware. After he talked to like EVERY manager in the building he finally did the trade. 30+ minutes later I had another $58 in credit. Values were EXACTLY as posted online.

So, maybe I got away with something or maybe the receipt stuff is just regional??

BTW some of my games didnt have the manual and so far no one cares. Basically just checked the disk surface for scratches.[/QUOTE]

Um, this! I just traded in at BB and good god, it took a full hour. Cashier was clueless, manager came over and explained "we don't get many people trading in." I politely explained the weekly add encouraged me to come get $30 for my crap games. Then the computer they did it on would not issue a gift card so we moved to a different one and...started all over.

On the plus side it eventually worked and there was no grief about the price or condition of my games.

thanks IATCG.

hopefully ill be able to find something. but im not sure if i should lock in my trade since DT limits the trade. i dont want to lock in the trade but then get the wrong console. haha,

[quote name='crax']Um, this! I just traded in at BB and good god, it took a full hour. Cashier was clueless, manager came over and explained "we don't get many people trading in." I politely explained the weekly add encouraged me to come get $30 for my crap games. Then the computer they did it on would not issue a gift card so we moved to a different one and...started all over.

On the plus side it eventually worked and there was no grief about the price or condition of my games.[/QUOTE]
Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I asked a few people about it but they had no idea, finally got someone to help...until half an hour later come to find out he was doing it on the wrong computer:roll:

Then finally he got the manager and come to find out we had to use the OTHER computer. Why the hell aren't these people trained??

[quote name='crax']Um, this! I just traded in at BB and good god, it took a full hour. Cashier was clueless, manager came over and explained "we don't get many people trading in." I politely explained the weekly add encouraged me to come get $30 for my crap games. Then the computer they did it on would not issue a gift card so we moved to a different one and...started all over.

On the plus side it eventually worked and there was no grief about the price or condition of my games.[/QUOTE]

Took me about a half an hour too. The cashier seemed really noobish since it took her a while to help the people before me.

If you decide to trade-in your video games through our retail stores, you must:

* be 18 years of age or older.
* have a government-issued photo ID (i.e. Driver's License, Passport, State or Military ID).
* have a valid Best Buy receipt for video games purchased at Best Buy

Guess that about does it for Best Buy's trade in initiative

Also

Hi cr_client,

To clarify your concern, our retail trade-in program "requires the product to have originally be purchased at Best Buy and present the Best Buy purchase receipt."

Regards,
Justin|Community Connector | Best Buy® Corporate

I'm confused this is from their website. Does it mean I can trade it in without a receipt if it is from a store on the drop down menu?
Products purchased at Best Buy

Video games, iPods, Zunes, laptops, and mobile phones can be taken to any Best Buy Store where, if you don't have your receipt, we will do our best to retrieve it for you and complete the trade-in, or you can use our online program.
Products not purchased from Best Buy

Video games can be traded-in at almost any Best Buy store or online at www.BestBuytradein.com, assuming the video game meets program requirements. Mobile phones, iPods. Zunes, and laptops can be taken to many Best Buy stores for immediate trade-in, subject to program rules and restrictions. To find a store near you that can receive an item for trade-in without a receipt, click the Find Store button below

[quote name='jer7583']If you decide to trade-in your video games through our retail stores, you must:

* be 18 years of age or older.
* have a government-issued photo ID (i.e. Driver's License, Passport, State or Military ID).
* have a valid Best Buy receipt for video games purchased at Best Buy

Guess that about does it for Best Buy's trade in initiative

Also

Hi cr_client,

To clarify your concern, our retail trade-in program "requires the product to have originally be purchased at Best Buy and present the Best Buy purchase receipt."

Regards,
Justin|Community Connector | Best Buy® Corporate[/QUOTE]
LOL well, I traded in $140 worth of games and they never asked for any receipt.

The guys that did my trade in just processed it under "no receipt" when they were prompted. I guessing when they do trade ins they do it under the return part of the POS and thats why it "needs" a receipt.

I really can't stand how some sites force you to create a password with a number and capital. I understand that it makes it 10x more secure, but let the user decide what they want their password to be..

[quote name='pogipinoy27']I really can't stand how some sites force you to create a password with a number and capital. I understand that it makes it 10x more secure, but let the user decide what they want their password to be..[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause:

Even though it's not very 'secure' for me to have the same password for every site I'm on and every email account I have, I'd rather have ONE password to remember than 90 different variations.

Is this whole process where you need a BB receipt new? When they first started doing Trade-Ins, I traded Final Fantasy XIII (bought at Gamestop) and Forza 3 (bought at Toys R Us) for $40 total without being asked for a receipt.

Does anyone now how long it takes after activating your GS PowerUp card to get the B2G1 to show up?

(relevant due to the DJ Hero flipping opportunity)

[quote name='hypertails02']Is this whole process where you need a BB receipt new? When they first started doing Trade-Ins, I traded Final Fantasy XIII (bought at Gamestop) and Forza 3 (bought at Toys R Us) for $40 total without being asked for a receipt.[/QUOTE]
It's a regional thing. They must play by the rules of the locality. Gamestop has this nailed, but Bestbuy looks bad in some locales.

[quote name='dabamus']Does anyone now how long it takes after activating your GS PowerUp card to get the B2G1 to show up?

(relevant due to the DJ Hero flipping opportunity)[/QUOTE]
It took about a week or so for me, so I'd lock in the value online on your three copies(PER PLATFORM BTW;)) and hope like hell those three copies have actual UPC barcodes on them.

All three copies I found today at my closest GS(2 PS3, 1 360) all had that 'not for resale' shit in place of the barcode.:roll: So they definitely wouldn't have worked unless I altered them(aka printed up UPC's and taped them on there:whistle2:#). But I don't wanna do anything fishy just for a flipping opportunity.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It took about a week or so for me, so I'd lock in the value online on your three copies(PER PLATFORM BTW;)) and hope like hell those three copies have actual UPC barcodes on them.

All three copies I found today at my closest GS(2 PS3, 1 360) all had that 'not for resale' shit in place of the barcode.:roll: So they definitely wouldn't have worked unless I altered them(aka printed up UPC's and taped them on there:whistle2:#). But I don't wanna do anything fishy just for a flipping opportunity.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my GS had PS3 & XBox used and new for DJ Hero - they were all marked Not for Resale, even the "new" ones.

Does BB give better prices overall for trade than GS?

It depends. On certain titles they're pretty good, but after EDGE/PowerUp and promo at Gamestop you can usually make even money and not have to deal with them nitpicking too much. That is, unless you have one of the GS stores that's been instructed to try and hit every game traded in with a refurb fee, regardless of condition.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']has anyone used a bubble mailer to sent a game in? I have one from gamestop that came last week lol[/QUOTE]

That's all I ever use to ship my games.

[quote name='Azureth']LOL well, I traded in $140 worth of games and they never asked for any receipt.[/QUOTE]
I'd say at this point that it's regional, or up to the managers to deny. Just like everything is, anymore, at BB. I had a best buy over the weekend refused to take their own fuckin coupon on a blu-ray, and then refused my Toy Story Coupon as a 'fake that was obviously printed out'. I'm just going to call the Premier Silver 800# and complain. Again.

i was denied a trade in for mw2 because my game had a not for resale sticker. thats dumb. i wonder if gs will let me swap out for one if i ask and flirt a bit.

[quote name='handsome_bitch']i was denied a trade in for mw2 because my game had a not for resale sticker. thats dumb. i wonder if gs will let me swap out for one if i ask and flirt a bit.[/QUOTE]

Hope you're not a guy....I don't think that would work if you are!;)

[quote name='handsome_bitch']i was denied a trade in for mw2 because my game had a not for resale sticker. thats dumb. i wonder if gs will let me swap out for one if i ask and flirt a bit.[/QUOTE]

If they say no, just buy it and return the "not for resale" copy.

Traded in a copy of MW2 to Best Buy in Dedham, MA. The cashier did mention the receipt, but we both brushed it aside. Still, it took about 20 minutes and 4 employees to figure how to process it....

I think I'll stick to mailing the games in...

[quote name='caedeskhan']Traded in a copy of MW2 to Best Buy in Dedham, MA. The cashier did mention the receipt, but we both brushed it aside. Still, it took about 20 minutes and 4 employees to figure how to process it....

I think I'll stick to mailing the games in...[/QUOTE]

Nice, I live in Boston...should I blame you for Dedham never having penny guides? Just kidding...unless it's true :bomb:

Yeah I just mail mine in. But that's more to receive Paypal instead of a BB Gift Card.

If by 'not for resale sticker' you mean an actual sticker that's over the real UPC, then just peel the sticker off. Quite a few companies do that with promo or bundled items, though most usually put the sticker on top of the plastic shrinkwrap on a game/controller.

Sony did this(and probably still does) with their controller/game $60 bundles.

yea what's up with the asking of the receipt? When I turned in my games the other day, the guy asked if I had my receipt for the games....I was like huh? So basically if the person doesn't have the receipt, then best buy automatically thinks its stolen!?!??! Seriously how many people keep receipts for games they bought 2-3 years ago?!?! For the first 30-90 sure, but anything after that come on!!

Barcode generator + gluestick= $30 bestbuy giftcard

[quote name='bredbu']Barcode generator + gluestick= $30 bestbuy giftcard[/QUOTE]

huh going to have to look into this--since i want to sell my dj hero game--

already have a glue stick so half way there--now to look up the barcode generator thing and how that works

[quote name='youenvy']huh going to have to look into this--since i want to sell my dj hero game--

already have a glue stick so half way there--now to look up the barcode generator thing and how that works[/QUOTE]

http://www.upcdatabase.com/

That's the one that quite a few use to create barcodes.;)

How do you get Best Buy to accept trade in's in store? I went to like 4 damn stores on Saturday and all of them denied me because I didn't have a Best Buy receipt.

[quote name='freshzen']How do you get Best Buy to accept trade in's in store? I went to like 4 damn stores on Saturday and all of them denied me because I didn't have a Best Buy receipt.[/QUOTE]

Just send it in the mail and wait the 3-4 weeks.

[quote name='ploppsdman']Just send it in the mail and wait the 3-4 weeks.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sending in anything that has a glued on UPC or slightly scratched disc. I would only get credit for 2 of the 7 games I have if I sent them in. Plus I probably wouldn't have the credit by Black Friday.

bread's done
Back