Bloodborne - The Old Hunters - November 24th, 2015

I've got to get going with gun parrying.  I still (once in a while) have those large ogres get me because I over aggro myself and deplete my stamina.  Easy to side step but my brain keeps thinking I can get that one last hit in.

I get get abused by that walking werewolf at the bottom of the stairs after the first boss.  Was a bit quicker than I was expecting....and deadlier.  Ha!

broly, i had a problem with those three bosses mainly because of the weapon i was using (ludwigs sword). i switched to the hunters ax (which probably has the best r2 charge in the entire game) and was able to beat them. the hunters ax is now i my boss fight weapon. lol
I really like Ludwig's sword but can't bring myself to break from the Axe, like you said that R2 charge is THE BEST. You have crazy range, tons of damage, full radial spin including behind you AND if you miss the first swing not only do you step closer but you also swing a second time. Ah, so good.

And I actually pretty much never use my gun. I think I have gun parried 5 times total in my time with this game and I haven't really found not using a gun to be a disadvantage (in PvE of course)

I really like Ludwig's sword but can't bring myself to break from the Axe, like you said that R2 charge is THE BEST. You have crazy range, tons of damage, full radial spin including behind you AND if you miss the first swing not only do you step closer but you also swing a second time. Ah, so good.
Hunter's Axe is a great weapon, it's just too bad it gets outclassed by the other weapons when it comes to scaling. I loved that thing in the Alpha and it helped me in the beginning before going Skill/Tinge. :)

Hunter's Axe is a great weapon, it's just too bad it gets outclassed by the other weapons when it comes to scaling. I loved that thing in the Alpha and it helped me in the beginning before going Skill/Tinge. :)
Yeah the scaling is terrible and I have accepted that in NG+ and beyond it will not be able to keep up so I am just enjoying it while I can on my first run through : P

what do you guys mean by scaling?
The damage stat bonuses that a weapon has: E, D, C, B, A, or S. Some weapons have multiple scaling stats. The higher the rank is, the greater the bonus damage it derives from that stat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a little misstep in this video, i was just trying to create room and forgot there was a ledge there, also dude jumps on my head. -_-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdA3ncwUpx0

man i went from doing really well getting to bosses to now just getting decimated by everything. upper cathedral ward and the unseen village are both kicking my ass so bad right now. guess its off to the woods to farm and level up more...

I hit a brick wall about 6 bosses in the other night until I realized carrying 50+ Insight was a bad thing. I dumped my Insight and went on a killing spree last night. :wall:

So now that the game has been out for a few days, would people recommend Bloodborne, or Dark Souls II?
Both.

Personally I feel Dark Souls 2 is the weakest of the 4 games in almost every way. Take that of course with a grain of salt because these are collectively some of my favorite videogames ever and so Dark Souls 2 is an absolutely amazing game either way just not quite as great as the others.

Like we discussed earlier, if you are new to the series Dark Souls 2 would probably be your best entry at this point however.

Both.

Personally I feel Dark Souls 2 is the weakest of the 4 games in almost every way. Take that of course with a grain of salt because these are collectively some of my favorite videogames ever and so Dark Souls 2 is an absolutely amazing game either way just not quite as great as the others.

Like we discussed earlier, if you are new to the series Dark Souls 2 would probably be your best entry at this point however.
Thank you for the input. I actually started out with Demon's Souls, but never got around to playing Dark Souls 1 or 2. Having watched gameplay videos for Bloodborne and DS2 (PS4), it's pretty clear DS2 is a remaster. The animations alone look stiff, same for the game world. The more videos I watch, the more I prefer the atmosphere in Bloodborne.

I'll be waiting for the first sale on Bloodborne regardless (Canada...crazy prices), but I think I'm leaning towards that.

Thank you for the input. I actually started out with Demon's Souls, but never got around to playing Dark Souls 1 or 2. Having watched gameplay videos for Bloodborne and DS2 (PS4), it's pretty clear DS2 is a remaster. The animations alone look stiff, same for the game world. The more videos I watch, the more I prefer the atmosphere in Bloodborne.

I'll be waiting for the first sale on Bloodborne regardless (Canada...crazy prices), but I think I'm leaning towards that.
Ah, gotcha. The good thing is you can't really go wrong with either of them! : P

Honestly though if you missed Dark Souls 1 I would say it is well worth hooking up your last gen console if you have to and playing through that in the meantime as you wait for a sale. The first Dark Souls I think is personally my favorite of the 4.

Sadly, I traded in my PS3 when I purchased my PS4. EB Games was having a $100 bonus credit sale, plus games, plus EDGE. It was too good (at the time) to pass up! Perhaps it will come to PlayStation Now sometime in the near future.

having never played a souls game before, im absolutely loving bloodborne. that said, i have no interest in playing demons souls or dark souls haha

I would've had a hilarious video if I was streaming / capturing last night - may go see if it is on my PS4.  Played about 15 minutes before bed...made it to Father - not knowing exactly where I was going but knew I wanted to avoid the lynch mob bridge (as seen above).  Make it to him without any issues...watch the animation, fight starts and I am completely lost.  Not lost as in I have no idea what to do but lost in the fact that somehow my character ended up turned around and inside the fog.  Before I really knew what had happened Father was kind enough to fillet me rather violently.  I wasn't upset but found myself saying that was the first time I've ever died in one of these games where I could not even analyze what I did wrong (nothing from what I can tell).

Still, the video would have been hilarious....sort of like "where did he go?" in the fog.

Personally I think the combat mechanics are the best of the 3 souls games in Dark Souls 2, the largest variety of viable weapons, true dual wielding mechanic, more forgiving equip burden, etc. It's just the story and environments aren't as imaginative as the previous 2 games.

Why are the left handed weapons on the right, and right handed weapons on the left in the options mini menu? Maybe its Primary/Secondary? . :whistle2:

I will say one thing about this game, it can be cheap. Twice now, two different bosses. I get them down to 20-30% health and then the game decides im going to knock you to the ground, and pound you to death. During that time i cant regen health, evade, nothing, just lay on the ground and watch them kill me. Feels so cheap to me.

Today i got lucky during a fight in Old Yharnam, gunna put spoilers in case you dont want to see it. But its not a boss fight. The video is below.

After he fell, the orb i could pick up was in the air and i couldnt reach it. But i went back to the dream world, then back to the same area and the orb was on top of the building right next to his gun. At least he didnt repawn LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMdR1yTFRI

Why are the left handed weapons on the right, and right handed weapons on the left in the options mini menu? Maybe its Primary/Secondary? . :whistle2:k

I will say one thing about this game, it can be cheap. Twice now, two different bosses. I get them down to 20-30% health and then the game decides im going to knock you to the ground, and pound you to death. During that time i cant regen health, evade, nothing, just lay on the ground and watch them kill me. Feels so cheap to me.

Today i got lucky during a fight in Old Yharnam, gunna put spoilers in case you dont want to see it. But its not a boss fight. The video is below.

After he fell, the orb i could pick up was in the air and i couldnt reach it. But i went back to the dream world, then back to the same area and the orb was on top of the building right next to his gun. At least he didnt repawn LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMdR1yTFRI
thats pretty much how everyone beat that guy.

Bloodborne <3

14sm6h5.jpg
Congratulations Supplice!

I think I've done every side thing i can.  Other than doing more chalices to get Uncanny/Lost weapons, all I can really do is wait for them to issue the patch that'll make they key I need in Byrgenwerth appear.  I'm definitely going to be overleveled for the area.

what the fuck is up with the nightmare in mensis stage. good christ, just fucking vagina blood spears destroying me all while getting massive fucking rocks that 1 shot kill me.

Dizamn. I am in awe Supplice. This game kicks my ass. Morality is at an all time low. I don't think I have the patience for this game but this game is very good nonetheless.

Dizamn. I am in awe Supplice. This game kicks my ass. Morality is at an all time low. I don't think I have the patience for this game but this game is very good nonetheless.
I think its crazy in general how people are Plat'ing this already. I have been playing this a ton, called a day off work and have been killing nearly every boss on my first attempt and I still haven't beaten my first playthrough! I just don't see how anyone could have the time to already!

I would've had a hilarious video if I was streaming / capturing last night - may go see if it is on my PS4. Played about 15 minutes before bed...made it to Father - not knowing exactly where I was going but knew I wanted to avoid the lynch mob bridge (as seen above). Make it to him without any issues...watch the animation, fight starts and I am completely lost. Not lost as in I have no idea what to do but lost in the fact that somehow my character ended up turned around and inside the fog. Before I really knew what had happened Father was kind enough to fillet me rather violently. I wasn't upset but found myself saying that was the first time I've ever died in one of these games where I could not even analyze what I did wrong (nothing from what I can tell).

Still, the video would have been hilarious....sort of like "where did he go?" in the fog.
I had a glitch on the cleric beast fight. Somehow he got stuck under the threshold where the gate is and my character started running away from him, but stayed locked on. So I had to walk backwards and attack him to get unstuck. Took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on.

I had a glitch on the cleric beast fight. Somehow he got stuck under the threshold where the gate is and my character started running away from him, but stayed locked on. So I had to walk backwards and attack him to get unstuck. Took me a minute to figure out what the hell was going on.
I haven't had any major boss glitches but I have had a couple times where enemies get stuck in the ground. Old Yarnham had one of those little hairy bipedal guys in the ground and I was taking damage and then I saw the tip of his head IN the ground. Then, my brain is farting but after the spider boss, there was one townsfolk that was stuck horizontal and didnt move but when I walked over it I took damage. It was weird.

I think its crazy in general how people are Plat'ing this already. I have been playing this a ton, called a day off work and have been killing nearly every boss on my first attempt and I still haven't beaten my first playthrough! I just don't see how anyone could have the time to already!
I'm too scared to even look at the plat requirements. Those guys are pros. Flat out.

So does anybody elses console get really loud when playing? I have the white one and I can hear it from about a few feet away. My ps4 is not the quietest but this game kicks it into overdrive for me.

So does anybody elses console get really loud when playing? I have the white one and I can hear it from about a few feet away. My ps4 is not the quietest but this game kicks it into overdrive for me.
The disc drive I assume? I have gone all digital with my consoles and so everything is pretty silent on my end.

I believe its the fan that Im hearing, Its not a big deal but I was wondering if others are experiencing the same.
Normally I have my other TV on next to my gaming screen and then all of that is next to my heater/ac so even if it was making noises I would have to be actively listening for it to hear it. That being said I will see what I can hear next time I get to play!

plat requirements: beat all bosses, get all tools, get all weapons, get all endings, beat all chalice dungeons.
For the chalice dungeons, the trophy condition only has you complete the initial dungeon "Pthumeru." It has a static design with the same bosses and layout for everyone. The toughest one for Pthumeru is the defiled chalice which has the player going through it's layers with only half health. There are other different dungeons such as Ailing Loran, Isz, and Hintertomb. Each dungeon also includes "root" chalices which are the ones that have completely randomized layouts, modifiers, and bosses. The loot is fantastic in those which include up to level 20 gems.

For the chalice dungeons, the trophy condition only has you complete the initial dungeon "Pthumeru." It has a static design with the same bosses and layout for everyone. The toughest one for Pthumeru is the defiled chalice which has the player going through it's layers with only half health. There are other different dungeons such as Ailing Loran, Isz, and Hintertomb. Each dungeon also includes "root" chalices which are the ones that have completely randomized layouts, modifiers, and bosses. The loot is fantastic in those which include up to level 20 gems.
I will give them more of a shot once I beat the main game at least once.

I love the idea but for some reason they just felt like more of a chore than anything. Perhaps it is the artist part of me that is not letting the gamer part enjoy it as much as I should. One of the many things I adore about the Souls titles are that they have the most gorgeous and creative environments that are so detailed both in visual design as well as function. Playing through the Chalice dungeons however you are subject to the exact same stuff the whole time, or at least for the hours I have played it. I have made my way through I think 3 or 4 different chalices and each one although structurally different, was identical to the last in terms of visuals.

Wow man, im really loving this game. I know i was complaining in the beginning but this game is really fun. What i like most is trying to find secret areas, and explore. Once you do that you usually find a secret path that gets you to an area fast. I just beat the easiest boss i have faced so far,
the witch of hemwick
. Literally took me one try and didnt even have much trouble. Just leveled up to 51, and im only just starting to get places unlocked on the second gravestone. Im taking a break right now, but i literally cant wait to get back into the game.

I just beat the easiest boss i have faced so far,
the witch of hemwick
LOL I know what your mean. It was a joke. Speaking of bosses, have you fought
Martyr Logarious
yet? Not an easy boss but it just did melee throughout my whole fight. I wonder if you experienced it? I did beat it when it did that.

I have no idea, i dont really look at their names lol.

Anyway i got to nightmare frontier and all of a sudden it starts talking about bells, some dude adversary avery came in and killed me while this other giant beast was attacking me. Was that supposed to happen or did someone randomly joined my game? Because i didnt have a bell ringing or anything.

Also Forbidden Woods, i made it all the way around to unlock the gate right by the lamp. But after that, all those snakes, i got lost and i never want to go back.

bread's done
Back