Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

They updated the game yesterday and It's all choppy due to Frame rate issues from the Patch. Hopefully, They'll fix that before releasing the new Island on Tuesday.

Just accepted all the new friend request to CAG Burnout. Nelo Ice and I have been trying to spam the list occasionally and nobody wants to play!

[quote name='RudyPants']Just accepted all the new friend request to CAG Burnout. Nelo Ice and I have been trying to spam the list occasionally and nobody wants to play![/quote]

yep :cry:

of course if anyone ons now i say lets start a game :p

[quote name='KiLL3r']They updated the game yesterday and It's all choppy due to Frame rate issues from the Patch. Hopefully, They'll fix that before releasing the new Island on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Erm, new island isn't out on Tuesday. Cagney isn't out for a while.

[quote name='pete5883']Erm, new island isn't out on Tuesday. Cagney isn't out for a while.[/quote]

My bad, I Thought Cagney was only the 3 online modes.

I've played a few times since the first update, haven't had any framerate issues. I know with UAW that framerate issues might be your particular hard drive all cluttered up. Try maintenance on it. I was playing a game online and I never saw my mic icon go on and off and nobody was talking so I believe there is still a bug with VOIP.

That is awesome, however August is a ways away lol. Still it is nice to see that they're putting so much into the community of this game which is rare for EA. Ragdoll physics would be sweet with bikes, (basically what I do in the GTA games and jumps^^). I wonder how many people will have sold this game by the time this update comes out though, most of my friends have already moved on from the game and gotten something else?!

Awesome, they're updating the game with modes, new features and now Bikes! Can these updates get any better. I wonder why they didn't apply night time in the final version of the game?

Online Marked Man sounds alot like "hunter" from midtown maddness 3. That game mode was a freaking blast. It's very rare that you find an online game type that even the losers have fun playing.

[quote name='KingDox']Online Marked Man sounds alot like "hunter" from midtown maddness 3. That game mode was a freaking blast. It's very rare that you find an online game type that even the losers have fun playing.[/quote]

LMFAO, yea

i just got this game for free and am debating wither to trade it or keep it
i never played any burnout games, should i bother playing it?

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']i just got this game for free and am debating wither to trade it or keep it
i never played any burnout games, should i bother playing it?[/quote]

Well, for free I would play a lot of things if I were you. Unless you are the laziest man alive I would recommend the effort of putting it in your console. If it's not your cup of tea, then trade it. I'm sure a lot of CAGs would be interested in snagging your copy.

[quote name='dkreegz515']anyone know when the bikes, nighttime, and new parts of the map come out? and will they cost points?[/quote]

The August update will have the bikes and night time. While the cagney update(in June) will have the new island and 3 new multiplayer modes. No, they're just updates. Except for the DLC vehicles which you have to buy to play them.

Just played the game last night and I didn't go online but I'm now 33 races till Elite! I just can't get over how many cars get in your way on purpose! lol

I have this as next up on my backlog (before even GTA IV, gasp), so I'll be down for some of those challenges when I do crack it open. I'm really looking forward to it.

Played a few games online, 8 player races still have the voice problem but thankfully the other game I was in that had 5 players in it, there were no problems. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet...

damn huge update at the end of this month

http://www.criteriongames.com/forum/...sd=d&start=260

Burnout Paradise v1.3 - Cagney (End of June, feature complete, bugtesting, 2 bugs left + certification to go)
- New title screen showing off a new car with new Paradise logo and new title music
- New cars/liveries available:
+ (unknown car on the title screen)
+ (more secret/unknown cars)
+ Dust Storm (see http://youtube.com/watch?v=mWFjq4-CV-M)
+ Hunter Olympus (see http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/5916/tv01hz1.jpg)
+ GT Tiger (Carbon GT Concept livery, see http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/771/tv03tm0.jpg)
+ Tempesta Dream (Tempesta livery, see http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2580/tv02oc0.jpg)

- Geometry issues at the Airfield have been fixed
- 1080i support for PS3
- "All new" surround sound mixes for PS3 and 360
- Dedicated PS3 LFE (subwoofer) content
- New music tracks included
- Searching for online games returns more information than before
- All cars online now show damage instead of just your own
- Player called out for being ahead in all of Today's Best categories
- Various bad respawns have been fixed
- Issue with checkpoints not being placed properly on the map have been fixed
- Ability to invert the camera controls
- EasyDrive now closes after 20 seconds of inactivity
- Ability to view challenge and leaderboard lists without leaving online games
- Custom soundtrack support for PS3 (MP3, AAC, ATRAC formats supported, WMA *not* supported)
- Improved graphics on SDTVs for PS3 (see viewtopic.php?f=12&t=756&start=20 for details)
- User-created liveries for the Kitano Hydros, Hunter Oval Champ and Carson Inferno Van
- Sirens on Police vehicles
- Classical music from Picture Paradise now in the regular game playlist
- Improved sound effects
- 40 total Paradise Drives for Ranked Races consisting of:
+ 7 user-created races (see http://criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=72 for more info)
+ 10 checkpoint races (see http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=121 for more info)
+ 23 point A to point B races

- Players leaving will no longer cancel the current freeburn challenge and the game will just act as if the player that left had completed his part, allowing the rest of the players to attempt to finish the challenge (except for the new Timed Challenges)
- 70 new Timed Multipart Challenges with Leaderboards
- Live frontpage/"game calendars":
+ Specific events on certain days and exclusive cars for use in them
+ Live frontpage as you start the game shows Criterion news as well as what you've done recently and what's popular online (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/criteriongames/2436954704/) including a new remix of the Burnout theme
+ Real-life time/weather for your city

- Mute specific players at will from the Show Players screen
- Global Paradise News page shown with daily news on login
- Game calendars will be used to unlock new liveries and other things
- New Freeburn game modes (see http://criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=114):
+ Freeburn Stunt Run (team version might be included as well, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUCjKzZB4M)
+ Freeburn Marked Man (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO3sUTor_M8)
+ Freeburn Road Rage (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThdipywMNLE)

- Turn signal/road sign navigation is much more accurate
- Fixes, changes and balancing for Ranked Races consisting of:
+ A reset of the leaderboards on Cagney's release
+ Hall of Fame for top 10/top 50/top 100?, regular resets and additions to Hall of Fame including possible rewards
+ Penalties for players with high disconnection ratios
+ Traffic always on
+ No custom routes allowed
+ All sanctioned routes have their own time leaderboards
+ Starting grid order based upon Ranking, better ranks start out towards the back of the pack
+ Car limits based on Boost levels instead of licenses to encourage more diverse car selection
+ Car selection screen comes up after the race is shown allowing everyone to see the race before car selection
+ Additional tuning to how Boost is earned while racing
+ Hosts no longer allowed to kick other players
+ Quitters will no longer be penalized only 100 points, but will be treated as if they came in 8th place (maximum potential loss of 700 points)
+ New map icons for the start and finish of races on map and minimap
+ Rounds no longer exist, all ranked races consist of just one race
+ All players start ranked races with full boost bars
+ Amount of time before race is terminated after the winner crosses the line has been increased from 20 seconds
+ Specific traffic density per Paradise Drive

- Fully functional disk caching for xbox hard disk owners
- Massively improved caching system on ps3
- Background installation so within 15 minutes every section of the world is on your hard disk
- A potential fix for the VOIP settings being forgotten
- A potential fix for the bug causing people to join the newest rooms by default, leaving yours empty and lonely
- A potential fix for the invincibility glitch and other glitches related to the junkyard
- Rankings and points properly updated between each series of races
- A potential fix for the impossible Road Rules times
- When a player is vertically taken down, the game specifically calls it out on his screen as "VERTICALLY TAKEN DOWN!" instead of the usual "TAKEN DOWN!"
- Canadian leaderboard (according to podcast 26)
- Choice between rotating and fixed minimaps (unconfirmed at this time)
- Other unannounced fixes, additions and changes

Wow .... that's too much to wrap my head around. I guess that changes are good - maybe it will renew some interest in the game's online component. I haven't really played this much lately ... I'll try to give it a shot soon.

This is how games are suppose to be updated. I love how much effort Criterion is putting behind Paradise, if only other games have this kind of treatment.

I just opened this for the first time today and I really love it so far. The takedowns alone are worth it for me so far. I don't even mind the no-menu stuff. I don't fully understand the online stuff yet or how to set times for roads right now, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

I'll add CAG Burnout but I'm sure people have moved on to other things.

Damn that is friggen awesome and a TON of shit they're updating/adding to the game. I know a lot of people that traded this game in, lol suckers.

[quote name='HeadRusch']so is there a Lacy update coming? The Motorcycles/Night racing part of it?[/quote]

Burnout Paradise v1.4 - Davis (End of July/August, pre-alpha status, free update with purchasable extras, price unannounced)
- Playable motorcycles, including driver (which disappears during a crash), very detailed animations, no boost bar
- New challenges, game modes and locations specifically tailored to the motorcycles
- Nighttime reduces traffic density in the city
- Additional worldwide leaderboards for road rules (likely in Davis, though not confirmed)
- Fix for the "lamppost made me wreck" issue experienced by PCPDs cutting through the Wildcats baseball stadium
- Fix for the "boxes made me wreck" issue experienced by cars going west through the left side of the cave between Newton Drive and East Crawford
- Fix for the "metal plates made me wreck" issue experienced by cars going over the overpass at the Lone Peaks dirt track
- Fix for the "scraping the walls made me wreck" issue experienced by cars jumping between I-88 and the railroad over South Bay Expressway
- Additional fixes for similar world bugs found by the team
- Additional challenges

According to the site the update is live:
http://www.criteriongames.com/comingsoon/cagney.php
But they only mention the PS3...is this not supposed to be hitting the X360?

EDIT: X360 update is delayed
Burnout Paradise' Cagney update delayed on Xbox 360

The 3rd and most ambitious FREE software update for Burnout Paradise will arrive later than expected for Xbox 360 players.

We've picked up some additional bugs in our final test phase for the 360 version of Cagney and will delay until these issues are resolved.

We're unable to give an exact timeline for release, but as soon as we have confirmation, we'll post here on the criteriongames.com. For the moment, we're expecting this to have an impact of around a week-and-a-half. Right now, we're looking at 24th July as a projected date.

Big thanks to Microsoft for picking up these last few bugs. Nothing's more important to us than Burnout fans getting a great service, which is why we won't pull the trigger on Cagney until we're happy that it's bug-free.

The Cagney update is our first major content-based release. It contains 3 all-new game modes and 70 new challenges featuring multiple parts, timer and leaderboard. We're also bringing new cars and designs, live broadcast gameplay through calendar and the best of the blog through our live front page plus a mountain of additional revisions and fixes.

It's an ambitious and complex overhaul of Burnout Paradise, and it's this scope that's caused a few last-minute delays. We'll bring you more news as we have it.
http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=263

It's weird that the 360 version's been having issues with Criterion's updates. Luckily I have both versions, so I don't have to miss out on the new stuff. :D

I smell conspiracy...Criterion has stated from the beginning that they favor the PS3...I think this is a way of them making a timed exclusive DLC, without officially saying it.

You guys must all be really excited about the X-Files movie later this month. The truth is out there!

The most likely scenario is that the bugs exist is the PS3 version that was released. Its not surprising that the subscriber funded Xbox Live has a more thorough validation process than PSN. Criterion probably just decided that the bugs weren't major enough to recall the PS3 version, but they would go ahead and fix them for 360 rather than having to elevate it MS to get it released with the bugs. Without knowing the specific bugs it's hard to judge whether the PSN looser/free approach is better than the stringent/paid Live approach.

Personally I know that if I could get someone to review my work at no cost to me with the risk of potentially delaying release if I made a mistake I would do it in a heart beat, so I'm not sure why Criterion would be upset with MS.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So you know the PS3 version's buggy now? Where does you see that Criterion's upset with MS?[/quote]

One can only speculate. They are not going to release the list of bugs Microsoft found and it's possible that most users won't ever encounter them. Obviously they would have recalled the PS3 patch if they thought they were major issues.

I'm also speculating that they're upset because I've seen enough fuck you PR releases to know that when the honey is laid on extra thick it usually isn't genuine.

They were already prepared for a delay for the 360 patch, which was originally delayed until Monday, so the extra time can't be much of surprise for them. They'd probably like to have it not end up like the last update to the 360 version, which caused framerate issues for people.

I'm sorry, 360 Burnour owners, you'll have to wait a bit longer for the Cagney patch of awesomeness:

http://kotaku.com/5028783/delays-continue-for-burnout-paradise-xbox-360-cagney-update

Here's a quick post on the Xbox 360 version of our forthcoming software update.

We're still not able to provide a concrete date on this awesome FREE update. We're in the final stages of testing the revised version and will announce a concrete date as soon as we have one.

We're currently aiming for 4th August. That's the EARLIEST we can expect it to be available.

Many apologies to those keenly awaiting this pack. As always, we're trying to get this to you as quickly as possible.

We hope you can hold on a little longer for our brand new online game modes (Marked Man, Stunt Run and Road Rage), the Live Page and Calendar, our new cars, liveries, 70 Challenges and a mountain of smaller improvements.

More news here soon.

bread's done
Back