CAG Arcade Stick Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='-GoodFella-']
arcade_stick01.JPG
[/QUOTE]

Way to go rebuilding your case, GoodFella!

[quote name='Taboner']Ok. I am really lazy. Any modding guides for the regular SFIV stick in here?
[/QUOTE]

Here ya go!

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=175882

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=175401

[quote name='controlcommerce']I saw that King of Fighters stick a few weeks ago. That's the best SE mod yet in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Just wait till you see mine. I think it will be right up there in quality. :)

[quote name='distgfx']Hey, MarkMan, is it true there's going to be more TE sticks made available for order?
[/QUOTE]

I think he stopped saying that they wouldn't make any more a while back.

distgfx, YES there are more on the way (TE and SE).

And future batches of course will not have any of the issues people are experiencing now.

[quote name='eastx']I think he stopped saying that they wouldn't make any more a while back.[/quote]

Whoops, hope I didn't annoy him, I wasn't sure. I hadn't seen any confirmation, only talk of it.

[quote name='MarkMan']distgfx, YES there are more on the way (TE and SE).

And future batches of course will not have any of the issues people are experiencing now.[/quote]

$150 is officially put aside now, thank you for your response.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Adawg120']Does using an octagonal gate increase the deadzone on the stick? I feel like I have to move it more now to get the moves to come out. The movements are easier to do, but I feel I have to be more deliberate with them than I was on the square gate. Seems weird. I think I will do the JLF Ultimate Mod to get the smaller deadzone while keeping the preferable feeling of the oct gate.[/QUOTE]

Yea the stick has to move in the cardinal directions further.

Ugg, I waited way to long to get a stick. The Hori Arcade Pro Ex is out of stock everywhere, and so is the cheaper Hori Ex2. Barnes and Noble still has the SE fightstick but i'm nervous about getting a lemon.

I suppose I could always just buy sanwa parts at the same time and be done with it.

Etheidon

You can still do well with very small movements that don't touch the gate. However, if you ride the gate, and octagonal gate will have a bigger deadzone than a square one.

[quote name='etheidon']Ugg, I waited way to long to get a stick. The Hori Arcade Pro Ex is out of stock everywhere, and so is the cheaper Hori Ex2. Barnes and Noble still has the SE fightstick but i'm nervous about getting a lemon.

I suppose I could always just buy sanwa parts at the same time and be done with it.

Etheidon[/quote]

http://www.arcadeshock.com/

Those guys seem to have some.

Edit: WOW! nvm, that was quick.

Hmm, that's interesting. Says on their site that the HRAP EX was a limited run which I hadn't realized. Would explain why it's no longer listed on Amazon.

[quote name='MarkMan']distgfx, YES there are more on the way (TE and SE).

And future batches of course will not have any of the issues people are experiencing now.[/quote]
Oh interesting...I might decide to hold off and save the $$$ for a TE.

Is there an ETA on the next batch of TE's?

Gotcha. I knew more were coming, it's just that the waiting will be excruciating :whistle2:k...
Man my thumb is really gonna suffer now :(

[quote name='MarkMan']Inf^Shini: depends on what you want to do with it...

You just want to change the buttons and the balltop?

If so, just go to www.lizardlick.com ... Just be prepared to wait as they are experiencing tons of orders...[/quote]
Yea, I was thinking of changing those if I do decide to get it

Mark or anyone else,
What, if any, confirmed issues are there on the TE stick? Is it anything widespread as the SE stick? So far my TE stick seems flawless, but I want to know if I should be looking out for anything in particular.

Also Mark, any thought to putting some type of covering between the face of the TE stick and the plastic window part of the box in future shipments?

Thanks everyone.

Just don't pick a plastic sticker cover under the buttons or any hardware on the face. My HRAP looks so ghetto (do the kids still say that these days?) with bits of plastic sticking out from under them.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Just don't pick a plastic sticker cover under the buttons or any hardware on the face. My HRAP looks so ghetto (do the kids still say that these days?) with bits of plastic sticking out from under them.[/quote]

That clear plastic sheet is trying to come off of my EX as well. I'm determined to keep it on as long as possible though.

[quote name='Adawg120']Does using an octagonal gate increase the deadzone on the stick? I feel like I have to move it more now to get the moves to come out. The movements are easier to do, but I feel I have to be more deliberate with them than I was on the square gate. Seems weird. I think I will do the JLF Ultimate Mod to get the smaller deadzone while keeping the preferable feeling of the oct gate.[/quote]

it decreases the engagement area of the diagonals. so you DO have to be more deliberate and "ride" the edges for the diagonals. the deadzone stays the same

I think my plan is...get an SE stick when they are replenished in March (which is convenient, because it will be around my Bday...), and mod it. keep the EX2 and either mod it or make my friends use it when they come over. Hmm...

[quote name='Bartex']anyone know if theres a guide on how to mod a Hori PS3 Fighting Stick 3?[/quote]
I'm sure theres one on SRK, but the EX2 one listed above might be useful, as I understand they are quite similar.

[quote name='MarkMan']shidoshi on NeoGAF posted this.

kofstick.jpg
[/quote]

man...that is pretty. I should have gotten different colored buttons for my Hrap3 also instead of getting the original vermillion color..

A modded SE stick is nice...we'll see how well the PCB holds up after time. Total cost for a 100% JPN mod is lower than HRAP/TE. Its also very portable and heavy. I put a seimitsu stick into my friends SE just last night.

I took a comparison pic next to my HRAP. The HRAP's footprint is even smaller than the TE stick so keep that in mind as well.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

[quote name='MarkMan']Pretty easy mod huh?

:)[/quote]

oh yeah. And the wiring inside is clean. I love the terminal strip for the buttons as well. Plenty of room to fit a second PCB in there as well.

It really is a modders dream stick. All you need is a screwdriver.

[quote name='Japakneez']oh yeah. And the wiring inside is clean. I love the terminal strip for the buttons as well. Plenty of room to fit a second PCB in there as well.

It really is a modders dream stick. All you need is a screwdriver.[/quote]

how did you do the artwork mod? and what material is the artwork? vinyl?

Hmmm, which buttons are the ones that are clicky? I just picked up a HRAP 3 stick and besides the square gate feeling weird, I want to change the buttons although the balltop is nice though.

I mean besides a nutdriver required to mod a HRAP 3, there's nothing intimidating is there? (i.e. Soldering)

Edit: I understand modding sticks is more of a personal taste, but I want to know if these recommendations are well suited for the HRAP 3:
If you can get a hold of Japanese parts (Try Lizardlick Amusements) in the states, you could build a stick too if you're good at that sort of thing. Parts I'd recommend:
6x Sanwa OBSF-30 pushuttons ~$3ea. The arcade standard buttons found in most Japanese cabinets.
2x Some smaller button - $2ea. Start/Select buttons. Brand really doesn't matter, personal preference. I like to use more clicky buttons for these.
2x Button plugs - $0.50ea (If you want a stick with the option to expand to 8 buttons, otherwise just drill 6 holes)
Seimitsu LS-32-01 - Almost without a doubt the best stick ever made. Short throws, very sensitive, a dream to use. Sanwa JLFs have much bigger throws, despite being a more standard stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sanwa and Semitsu aren't clicky, that's HAPP competition buttons. The problem is two fold. They're a lot longer so if I'm not mistaken they make contact with the bottom of the case which can cause problems. Second they're washer screw-ins instead of snaps so on the button closest to the joystick you'll probably have to sand the washer down to get it underneath the mounting plate for the stick and then screw the button itself down into it.

The recommendations look good, it's 24mm for the Start/Select. The button plugs for the bumpers and L/R3 are a matter of preference and I'm going to put buttons there too because there's just enough menu options in SFIV that I think it'll be annoying without them. Just binding them to nothing I don't even hit them anymore after a couple hours play. On top of that there are a few other games you might want to play with the stick that you need those for.

Well, looks like I'll have to hold off on picking up SF4 until the next wave of TE sticks as I have no soldering skills whatsoever and I can't play for shit on the 360 pads. I am a sad panda.

Just want to remind everyone to please do not pick up a Hori EX2 unless you are going to change the buttons. I broke a table today because the buttons are a piece of crap. I need to learn how to solder. I'm going to try and pick a Street Fighter SE is this weekend.

[quote name='Taboner']This modding stuff sounds fun. Is there a cheap stick that is easy to work on as a first timer?[/QUOTE]

The MadCatz SE is your best bet. Avoid the EX2 or FS3 like the plague if you're not comfortable soldering or don't have/desire to get a desoldering gun. The SE, TE and Hori RAPs are all just plugging stuff in.

[quote name='jdeluis']Just want to remind everyone to please do not pick up a Hori EX2 unless you are going to change the buttons. I broke a table today because the buttons are a piece of crap. I need to learn how to solder. I'm going to try and pick a Street Fighter SE is this weekend.[/QUOTE]

The stick itself is way worse then the buttons.

What's bad is I've had my HRAP for like a week, haven't even started modding it yet and genuinely like it and yet I'm wanting an SE to mod and to keep my TE when it finally comes in. >.

hopefully I can figure out soon whether or not to keep the SE fightstick I got for $90 or get the HRAP Ex for $130! decisions decisions! =/
The fightpad is keeping me going for now.

[quote name='amusedtoe']

The stick itself is way worse then the buttons.

What's bad is I've had my HRAP for like a week, haven't even started modding it yet and genuinely like it and yet I'm wanting an SE to mod and to keep my TE when it finally comes in. >.

i havent taken apart my SE, but why did markman recommend the lamilabel for printouts for new art? isnt the art under the plastic cover anyways?

On the SE? Nope. On the SE it is just a decal.

You can either take off the decal or just put the lamilabel'd art over it.

That's what most ppl are doing.

hmmm always thought it was a actual sheeet under some plastic cover,,, oh well okay i will do that whenever the time arises thanks markman

My Seimitsus came today. I didn't think I'd be able to notice the difference between them and Sanwas but I definitely can. Out of the game I prefer seimitsu.

[quote name='amusedtoe']Sanwa and Semitsu aren't clicky, that's HAPP competition buttons. The problem is two fold. They're a lot longer so if I'm not mistaken they make contact with the bottom of the case which can cause problems. Second they're washer screw-ins instead of snaps so on the button closest to the joystick you'll probably have to sand the washer down to get it underneath the mounting plate for the stick and then screw the button itself down into it.

The recommendations look good, it's 24mm for the Start/Select. The button plugs for the bumpers and L/R3 are a matter of preference and I'm going to put buttons there too because there's just enough menu options in SFIV that I think it'll be annoying without them. Just binding them to nothing I don't even hit them anymore after a couple hours play. On top of that there are a few other games you might want to play with the stick that you need those for.[/quote]
Thanks for the input, guess I'll just avoid the HAPP buttons then even though I like the clicky ones :/

I guess I'll put in an order for those then, I love opening and tinkering with stuff :D

Just like to say thanks to Markman and everyone else that helped me out on choosing the right bat top and adapter for the fightstick. I would also like to report that I've had no problems with my SE stick.

fightstick1.jpg

fightstick2.jpg

So I have a SE Fightstick coming and am going to be swapping to Seimitsu gear. Can I just drop a LS-32-01 in simply or am I better off grabbing a Sanwa JLF-TP-8T for easy installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back