CAG Marketplace Now in Open Beta, Available to All

[quote name='piercey']No, on the actual page of the game. For an example, Borderlands for the 360 has currently 23 copies on the marketplace. It would be nice if those had upload times attached to them, so people interested in Borderlands know what is new and what is old.[/QUOTE]

Adding a "list date" is a good idea. As it stands someone could potentially have thrown something up months ago and forgotten about it, I'm sure not everyone will be de-listing games they acquire or get rid of.

Then again, that might make some people continually have to re-list a game in order to garner interest.

[quote name='Mayday']I'm really looking forward to using this, unfortunately the UK trading is basically dead, there's barely any games.[/QUOTE]

The more people who add their collections, the less dead it'll be. ;)

what's also weird is that say I have Ninja Gaiden Black in my wishlist, it shows Amazon price of $29.99, however going there shows the price of $100+ or otherwise, OOP new..I'm sure this has something to do w/ the CAG Price Checker, but I'm not sure how to change the prices on there..(i think its automatic right??)

and also, has editing video game data profiles and getting them approved been put on the backburner? I've made a few edits that haven't got 'approved' yet for a couple of games, but when I click to edit, the info I put there is still there..

[quote name='token2k6']what's also weird is that say I have Ninja Gaiden Black in my wishlist, it shows Amazon price of $29.99, however going there shows the price of $100+ or otherwise, OOP new..I'm sure this has something to do w/ the CAG Price Checker, but I'm not sure how to change the prices on there..(i think its automatic right??)
[/QUOTE]

That is being sold by Hitgaming, a company that outrageously overprices most of the games they sell. Ninja Gaiden Black sealed is worth much less than $100 and on Amazon most of the new copies are cheaper than that.

It's most likely doing that because it's not sold by Amazon itself (but when it was the MSRP was $29.99), but Hitgaming as I've stated.

[quote name='John']Non-marketplace feedback is up - click "Add Feedback" when viewing someone's profile to use it.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks so much!

CML icon is back, but it'll be changing to something else soon. (And moving to another place in the postbit.)

[quote name='Mitsune']Is it just me or are the "Regions" portion of the game info are not saving?[/QUOTE]

Where? (There are a few places you can edit the region for a game.)

[quote name='John']Where? (There are a few places you can edit the region for a game.)[/QUOTE]

It's within the Game Collection (after the Game Condition section):

Region.png

Any time I reopen any game to re-edit its info, it (the region selection) always turns up blank.

Sorry to double-post here, but an important question.

I and another user accepted a trade (neither of us sent out yet). There was some confusion and the trade needs to be cancelled now. Not sure how to initiate the cancel, the only option I'm seeing is "report as dispatched".

Help?

[quote name='Mitsune']Is it just me or are the "Regions" portion of the game info are not saving?[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I sent a offer to someone a few days ago and never heard back from them. I went to the trades page in my account and it said there weren't any. If someone declines an offer is it listed anywhere? or if it is still no response is it anywhere?

[quote name='Jim Beam']I sent a offer to someone a few days ago and never heard back from them. I went to the trades page in my account and it said there weren't any. If someone declines an offer is it listed anywhere? or if it is still no response is it anywhere?[/QUOTE]

Did you have more than one trade going at a time? There was a glitch (since fixed) that would overwrite a previous trade if you created a new one. Sorry!

[quote name='Yamato']Why does Aenzo have 2 positive FB's, but 0%?[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='Yamato']I and another user accepted a trade (neither of us sent out yet). There was some confusion and the trade needs to be cancelled now. Not sure how to initiate the cancel, the only option I'm seeing is "report as dispatched".[/QUOTE]

PM me with a link to your trade, and I'll cancel it for you. (At the moment we only allow a user to cancel a trade if the other party hasn't accepted, but we'll be changing this in the future.)

I'm really impressed. You guys are on the ball with this.

Oh, PMing now.

EDIT - Thanks again for fixing the trade. With all of the effort you guys have been putting in, its a lot easier for me to switch to the new way of trading after experiencing how the system works.

My main concern was that personal contact would be severely crippled. It wouldn't have that good ol' community feel. I feel like I'm being corrected. With updates to the item database and a few more minor changes, this will be ground-breaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having had some time to play around with it, I'm definitely coming around. I really like the chat feature, though I wish you could get some indication you had an incoming message without having to check back. PMing you every time would probably flood inboxes pretty quickly, so what about an indicator on the top similar to the PM notification that pops up when you have a new trade chat?

Also, I'm not sure I ever got an answer on whether you're adding support for non-game items being traded through the marketplace?

[quote name='bvharris'] I really like the chat feature, though I wish you could get some indication you had an incoming message without having to check back. PMing you every time would probably flood inboxes pretty quickly, so what about an indicator on the top similar to the PM notification that pops up when you have a new trade chat?

[/QUOTE]
Was thinking the same thing. Seconded.

[quote name='bvharris']Having had some time to play around with it, I'm definitely coming around. I really like the chat feature, though I wish you could get some indication you had an incoming message without having to check back. PMing you every time would probably flood inboxes pretty quickly, so what about an indicator on the top similar to the PM notification that pops up when you have a new trade chat?[/QUOTE]

Once I'm done with the last of the major bugs, there's a list of features that I'm going to be focusing on for the marketplace. Clear trade activity indicators and cross-site chat notification are both high up on the list. (Along with collection importing from other sites, better game browsing, new and improved tools for finding matches, and a much better level of integration across the site.)

[quote name='bvharris']Also, I'm not sure I ever got an answer on whether you're adding support for non-game items being traded through the marketplace?[/QUOTE]

Yep, it was answered earlier - in short, probably. We still need to figure out the details of how it's going to be implemented.

[quote name='John']The tricky thing is that using the current system, everything has to be standardized - that's easy with games, since one copy of a game is pretty much the same as any other except for condition/region (which we have settings for). It gets more complicated with hardware and accessories since there are so many variations - we'd need to populate the database with a lot of obscure items.

That said, we might implement something that lets you list your own custom items, which could include hardware/accessories. The only downside would be the lack of the ability to directly compare prices between people selling the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Can't believe I missed your answer before, sorry about that.

Couldn't it be handled the same way the "Submit Games to CAG" feature is done now? Say if I wanted to list a rare console variant like my FFIV Gameboy Micro (not likely :D) which is not already in the database, I can create an entry for it, upload a picture the same way cover art is submitted now, and then it goes through moderation. That way future people who want to list the same item can find it in the DB. I don't know how feasible that is, or even if it works with the new features, but it should be possible, right?

Of course, that had probably already occurred to you. :D

The main problem is that the CAG game database wasn't really coded with hardware/accessories in mind, and there's a lot of game specific stuff that would have to be split off in order to support another category like consoles/hardware. It's doable, but there isn't really a quick way for me to implement it.

Yeah, I can definitely see how that could be a problem. I wish I could offer a real suggestion on how it might be done, but my knowledge of database structures doesn't extend much past writing SQL queries and updates. And of course I know nothing about how CAG's db is set up. I guess if it was as easy as keeping entries for hardware, etc in separate tables with the correct variables than it wouldn't be so vexing.

You're doing a great job with this stuff man, keep it up.

Not sure if right place but I am unable to figure out how to see what feedback a person has left for others. The previous system had that.
I want to double check that feedback is being left reciprocally and can not.

[quote name='Arakias']Not sure if right place but I am unable to figure out how to see what feedback a person has left for others. The previous system had that.
I want to double check that feedback is being left reciprocally and can not.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with this. Also, I always liked that you could see whether the person was the buyer, the seller, or if it was a trade. Can we bring that back too?

Apologies if I missed it, but are the extra notes we inputted on trades from the old system, that were only viewable to buyer/seller/mods, gone?

+1 for viewing the buyer/seller in trades.

Also still curious if adding a buying price to our wish list items might be possible to match up w/ sellers selling games in our price range? Would save buyer/sellers the hassle of counter-offering off of each others initial prices. I tend to buy the majority of my items here on CAG and would find this very useful instead of having sellers constantly bombarding me w/ "make me an offer". =]

Don't think this was ever answered, but will there be a feature that allows a user to see how many/who is requesting a game? As of now, it only shows us who has games that we want. I'd like to see who wants games that I have, so I can check their list for possible trades.

Also, John, Cheapy, AMAZING job getting all this lined up and going. I'm sure it's tons of hard work for our benefit, but it sure is appreciated! Love the new Marketplace. This will take alot of business from me from Goozex.

[quote name='Arakias']Not sure if right place but I am unable to figure out how to see what feedback a person has left for others. The previous system had that.
I want to double check that feedback is being left reciprocally and can not.[/QUOTE]

Yep, this is on the todo list.

[quote name='dfg']Apologies if I missed it, but are the extra notes we inputted on trades from the old system, that were only viewable to buyer/seller/mods, gone?[/QUOTE]

It's not viewable at the moment, but we've saved the comments from the old system and will be adding it back in shortly.

[quote name='myl0r']Don't think this was ever answered, but will there be a feature that allows a user to see how many/who is requesting a game? As of now, it only shows us who has games that we want. I'd like to see who wants games that I have, so I can check their list for possible trades.[/QUOTE]

It's incoming. We'll be adding a lot of marketplace statistics soon, along with totals for how many people have specific games on their wishlist. That, and a system for finding people who want a copy of a game you have... kind of an inverted matchmaking system, where instead of looking for games you want, you're looking for buyers who want to buy the games you have.

I submitted an offer to purchase two games to a member on Monday. We've exchanged a couple of PM's, but as of yet the member has neither accepted nor declined my offer. Is it in bad taste to cancel my offer at this point? Could it affect my feedback? Thanks, Clownie.

[quote name='Clownloaf']I submitted an offer to purchase two games to a member on Monday. We've exchanged a couple of PM's, but as of yet the member has neither accepted nor declined my offer. Is it in bad taste to cancel my offer at this point? Could it affect my feedback? Thanks, Clownie.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest you just tell them you'd like an answer one way or the other rather than simply backing out without warning.

On that topic actually, how long will trades stay on the "My Trades" page after they've been canceled?

Thanks bvharris, I'm following your advice.:)

[quote name='bvharris']I'd suggest you just tell them you'd like an answer one way or the other rather than simply backing out without warning.

On that topic actually, how long will trades stay on the "My Trades" page after they've been canceled?[/QUOTE]

Quick suggestion for a "CML" button in Marketplace:

I was thinking one could be implemented alongside the boxes that say "Trade", "Ignore", "Make Offer ($)" when you are browsing someone's games. You could check the CML box, and then it sets up an offer. Your "CML" for their, say, Gears of War.

They get a PM about an offer. They can either decline it, or make a counter-offer (in which they would select the games of interest, if any).

The problem with this is that, along with "Counter-Offer" and "Decline", there would be "Accept". If you accepted a CML offer they would be getting your CML in a trade..which is of course nothing. Then it would have to be cancelled by John or someone else.

Just and idea, not sure if you can work with it or not.

Here's a questions from the mods about this issue.

In iTrader, we could go through and edit/remove feedback on an as-needed basis, usually for duplicated feedback being left or removal of neg/neutral feedback for resolved issues.

There doesn't seem to be any way to do that with Marketplace. Any idea how we could do that?

I've made some button changes to make it a little clearer when there's a header image that's also a link to an area that lets you get more results for browsing games. And to make it easier to browse for games that are available in platforms that don't see so much activity, platform filtering has been added to the "most available" page. I'll add pagination support so you'll be able to browse everything that's available soon. (At the moment it only shows the top 30 results.)

[quote name='bvharris']On that topic actually, how long will trades stay on the "My Trades" page after they've been canceled?[/QUOTE]

Indefinitely at the moment. For testing purposes all the timeout functionality has been disabled, but eventually all trades will have time restrictions on each stage - for example, if you send a trade request and get no response within X days, it'll automatically cancel the trade.

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's a questions from the mods about this issue.

In iTrader, we could go through and edit/remove feedback on an as-needed basis, usually for duplicated feedback being left or removal of neg/neutral feedback for resolved issues.

There doesn't seem to be any way to do that with Marketplace. Any idea how we could do that?[/QUOTE]

YGPM.

Could you make it so we get a PM in our CAG inbox notifying us we've received feedback? Made a trade and did not realize someone had already left me feedback. =]

[quote name='notwen']Could you make it so we get a PM in our CAG inbox notifying us we've received feedback? Made a trade and did not realize someone had already left me feedback. =][/QUOTE]

ditto-787902.gif

I laugh every time I go to the Marketplace and it has the big banner saying I have "1 Outstanding Trade". Why it is outstanding, thank you for noticing Marketplace. :D

(yes, I know the word outstanding has more than one meaning)

This looks like a bug to me.. I made an offer to buy a game from a friend of mine at the price he requested. He then made a counter-offer back knocking off a few dollars since we're such pals and all. When that happened, his payment information didn't appear as it should, even though it's a cash transaction.

We did another trade just to test where he didn't counter-offer, and in that his payment info showed up fine. Let me know if you need the links to the trades.

[quote name='bvharris']This looks like a bug to me.. I made an offer to buy a game from a friend of mine at the price he requested. He then made a counter-offer back knocking off a few dollars since we're such pals and all. When that happened, his payment information didn't appear as it should, even though it's a cash transaction.

We did another trade just to test where he didn't counter-offer, and in that his payment info showed up fine. Let me know if you need the links to the trades.[/QUOTE]

Could you PM me with a link to the trade?

Hey John, quick question about feedback. Neutrals specifically.

I have had a neutral for a few months now (or did, it has since been found unjust and removed), but my percentage stayed at 100%. It even stayed 100% after the Marketplace switch.

After just receiving a positive FB, my percentage was reduced to 98%. I have no negatives, so it was clear that the neutral had been tugging my percentage down, even with 32 other positive trades.

My question is: Do Neutral FB's reduce your percentage in this new world of Marketplace? I'm not sure that they reduced it in iTrader (although Shrike tells me that it did slightly, and with enough positive you are rounded to 100%).

If they DO reduce your percentage, don't you think the weight on it is too heavy? Dropping from 100% to 98% for a record of 32/1/0 doesn't seem very balanced.

Thanks for your input.

[quote name='Yamato']Hey John, quick question about feedback. Neutrals specifically.

I have had a neutral for a few months now (or did, it has since been found unjust and removed), but my percentage stayed at 100%. It even stayed 100% after the Marketplace switch.

After just receiving a positive FB, my percentage was reduced to 98%. I have no negatives, so it was clear that the neutral had been tugging my percentage down, even with 32 other positive trades.

My question is: Do Neutral FB's reduce your percentage in this new world of Marketplace? I'm not sure that they reduced it in iTrader (although Shrike tells me that it did slightly, and with enough positive you are rounded to 100%).

If they DO reduce your percentage, don't you think the weight on it is too heavy? Dropping from 100% to 98% for a record of 32/1/0 doesn't seem very balanced.

Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

your % shows up as 100.

[quote name='sinkingships']your % shows up as 100.[/QUOTE]His neutral feedback was from a banned user who's no longer around, banned due to trade issues with another user.

I removed said feedback, and he went from 98% to 100%.

Alright, here's an unpleasant but necessary question:

Say I'm involved in a trade where the other user has stopped communicating entirely after receiving payment, will there be a mechanism in place where one can report the issue to a mod directly through the Marketplace? Sort of a "report a problem with this trade" button? Or should people just continue to PM a mod about the issue directly?

The default option when looking at a game title is to see who is have it available for trade/sell, but is there an option to see a list of people who have the game on their wish lists so someone can see who wants it and what they might have for trade? If it is there already and I am not seeing it, sorry, but please point me in the right direction.

I may not have not done any trading in the past, but I really like what is being done here with the database and market place and expect to start using it in the future.

Thanks for all the hard work.

bread's done
Back