CAG Marketplace Now in Open Beta, Available to All

[quote name='bvharris']This might be a pie in the sky sort of suggestion, but it would be really cool if the trade page could have some sort of tracking widget where the parties could enter in DC/Tracking numbers from USPS,UPS etc and it tracks right on the page. I'm not sure something like that exists, or whether it would be easy to implement, but I know it would be very cool.[/QUOTE]

That would be sweet. Not sure how well it would work though since I've noticed the USPS takes FOREVER to put the damn DC #s into the system lately.

I was making a purchase through the marketplace from a user, he agreed to the cost which included shipping. So I sent him the payment via paypal, but received a message from him stating that I had forgotten to include paypal fees.

Is this a common practice? I hadn't seen any mention of paypal fees for the purchase prior to that... would that not be up to the seller to include that amount when placing it on the marketplace? I just want to know what the consensus is regarding paypal fees...

Any input regarding this would be appreciated.

[quote name='Hunter and friends']I was making a purchase through the marketplace from a user, he agreed to the cost which included shipping. So I sent him the payment via paypal, but received a message from him stating that I had forgotten to include paypal fees.

Is this a common practice? I hadn't seen any mention of paypal fees for the purchase prior to that... would that not be up to the seller to include that amount when placing it on the marketplace? I just want to know what the consensus is regarding paypal fees...

Any input regarding this would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

It's prohibited on CAG. See this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250288

1. the search bar is only applicable for adding new games. i should be able to type in the name of a game in my collection to access its entry in my database. additionally, there should be a way to go from the general game entry to my collection entry for a game.

2. the alphabetical order is still just plain stupid. in alphabetizing titles, the article "the" should be ignored. when you go to a record store, you do not search the T section for The Beatles?

3. i cannot sort games by all of the categories, only rating. i want to sort my games by the "now playing" feature so that i can change the status to "beaten."

EDIT: Why was this moved to this thread when it has nothing to do with the marketplace? I haven't touched the marketplace. I was only talking about the "my collection" feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hunter and friends']I was making a purchase through the marketplace from a user, he agreed to the cost which included shipping. So I sent him the payment via paypal, but received a message from him stating that I had forgotten to include paypal fees.

Any input regarding this would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]Sellers should be putting up one price for any items for sale. "Surcharging" for Paypal fees isn't allowed, or "crediting" for non-Paypal payments isn't either.

Both of those practices aren't allowed per Paypal's TOS, and we're making sure we abide by those TOS rules.

Speaking of which, is there any plans to add Amazon Payment support in the Marketplace? Considering right now its just listing the paypal address this should be relatively easy. Myself and many other CAGs in the TFs have begun using it to great success as an alternative to Paypal.

[quote name='bvharris']Speaking of which, is there any plans to add Amazon Payment support in the Marketplace? Considering right now its just listing the paypal address this should be relatively easy. Myself and many other CAGs in the TFs have begun using it to great success as an alternative to Paypal.[/QUOTE]

i like this idea.

I started at 0 feedback and I've been a CAG since 2006. I used other methods for trading/selling games cause they were less clunky than managing a thread in the trade forum. The marketplace streamlined the process here, and it's free, making it double awesome.

1 transaction under my belt and waiting for 3 more to complete. It does sound paranoid to label all 0 feedback users as scammers.

[quote name='TLPRIME']I started at 0 feedback and I've been a CAG since 2006. I used other methods for trading/selling games cause they were less clunky than managing a thread in the trade forum. The marketplace streamlined the process here, and it's free, making it double awesome.

1 transaction under my belt and waiting for 3 more to complete. It does sound paranoid to label all 0 feedback users as scammers.[/QUOTE]

I can attest to this. Just did a deal with him while he had zero feedback and it went smoother than most deals with people that have high feedback.

[quote name='Rozz']I can attest to this. Just did a deal with him while he had zero feedback and it went smoother than most deals with people that have high feedback.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rozz!

Does feedback come off of one's total after a while? I ask because according to the Marketplace page for my feedback, I should have 70(7 pages with 10 on each page).

However, I have 58.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Does feedback come off of one's total after a while? I ask because according to the Marketplace page for my feedback, I should have 70(7 pages with 10 on each page).

However, I have 58.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the feedback score only counts unique user feedback? So if you have 5 positives from the same user it will only count as 1 toward your score. Just a guess though.

[quote name='TLPRIME']I wonder if the feedback score only counts unique user feedback? So if you have 5 positives from the same user it will only count as 1 toward your score. Just a guess though.[/QUOTE]

It does, just like most other places. If you have multiple feedback from the same user, you only get a bump of 1.

I apologize if this was mentioned before anywhere. But here are some issues I've encountered so far:

1.) With some of my games, I have listed them in the "Region" option as being "NTSC-J (Japan)", however it is not reflected in the actual marketplace itself when you look at my items. So I am getting offers from members thinking it is the American version. The "Region" option defeats the purpose if I have to mention it in the "Additional Information" section.

2.) Also where I live, we currently have over 20 inches of snow and I am unable to ship out my items until the weather gets better. Is there a way for me to put my Marketplace in "Vacation Mode" where all of my items are currently not for trade/sale? Or do I have to manually change all of my items as "Not for Trade/Sale"?

3.) Also when I go to view my offers, I am sent to the "Add Address" page. After I input my address and click on "SUBMIT CHANGES", I immediately get the message:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
  3. Users must be registered for 30 days before being able to leave trade feedback or create threads in the Referral or CAG Trading Forum. You may reply to threads created by other users.
However after I go back to Marketplace, my address is inputted and I am able to look at my offers.

Basically, great job on the Marketplace!

[quote name='TLPRIME']I wonder if the feedback score only counts unique user feedback? So if you have 5 positives from the same user it will only count as 1 toward your score. Just a guess though.[/QUOTE]Your feedback rating is the number of unique CAGs you've dealt with on deals. Your total number of feedback is listed on your feedback page. Any 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. deals with the same CAG will boost your total feedback though not your feedback rating.

Just like eBay.

Also, this is how it was in iTrader before we moved to Marketplace.

Also just noticed that one of my trades is still showing as trade outstanding even though it has been completed and we both left feedback for each other.

My Cheap Ass Gamer tab at the top still has iTrader listed.

Also would be nice to mention having delivery confirmation somewhere. I ship just about all my stuff with DC#s but I don't for my really cheap games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the rating system is a bit screwy. I was putting up a game for trade and rated the condition (case, game, manual). When I go into advance mode, the ratings for game and manual have been reversed so that game had the manual rating and the manual had the game rating.

I would like to see the matching system not just match me with people who have games from my want list, but also match my haves list with others want lists. This way, I can see whom I can trade with. Currently, it doesn't work out very well.

[quote name='formerroadie']I would like to see the matching system not just match me with people who have games from my want list, but also match my haves list with others want lists. This way, I can see whom I can trade with. Currently, it doesn't work out very well.[/QUOTE]

I'll second this.

Any chance the Marketplace will include a spot later on for us to post our lists of game guides and other things we have available for sale/trade or are we still going to be using our tradelists for those items?

Sorry, one question. Once a trade is pending, is there a final acceptance on both sides?

I see a game listed by 5 people at the same price. If I want to just buy said game - can I just attempt to buy from all 5 and purchase from the fastest person to respond? Can I then cancel the other 4?

Or - If I start 5 trades, as soon as any of them say yes, is the trade locked?

I ask, because I attempted purchasing from a few people now, and I always get a response of the haggling nature. Something like - "Well, I have X amount of people who are also wanting to buy this game... can you do better?". So basically, why should I wait a day for a response, when I could easily just make a trade with someone with a slightly more expensive listing?

So while it's annoying for people selling if I try to buy then backout - it's just as annoying for people who price it lower to get attention, then try to haggle up.

Thoughts? Answers? Am I just doing it wrong?

Thanks!

[quote name='wakasm']Sorry, one question. Once a trade is pending, is there a final acceptance on both sides?

I see a game listed by 5 people at the same price. If I want to just buy said game - can I just attempt to buy from all 5 and purchase from the fastest person to respond? Can I then cancel the other 4?

I ask, because I attempted purchasing from a few people now, and I always get a response of the haggling nature. Something like - "Well, I have X amount of people who are also wanting to buy this game... can you do better?". So basically, why should I wait a day for a response, when I could easily just make a trade with someone with a slightly more expensive listing?

So while it's annoying for people selling if I try to buy then backout - it's just as annoying for people who price it lower to get attention, then try to haggle up.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I had asked earlier if we could tag a buy price to certain games(maybe off our wishlist) so both parties could go into a trade knowing exactly what the others want. Hopefully you'll get a response. =]

[quote name='wakasm']Sorry, one question. Once a trade is pending, is there a final acceptance on both sides?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I would agree. Charleytony had Dragon Age listed for $15. In fact, it still is on the matching list. I jumped all over it and he raised the price to $50 without even contacting me. If I wanted that kind of abuse I would just stick to Craigslist! lol

Great job on this Marketplace. I look forward to future updates.

[quote name='notwen']I had asked earlier if we could tag a buy price to certain games(maybe off our wishlist) so both parties could go into a trade knowing exactly what the others want. Hopefully you'll get a response. =][/QUOTE]

That's my issue. There IS a buy price. But people haggle even after saying you will pay that amount.

After going through this a few times - my major feedback:

There needs to be a second round of approval.

Step 1: Initiate Trade
Step 2: Person Accepts / Rejects Trade
Step 3: You accept FINAL TRADE!!!

Currently, if you initiate a trade, if they say yes then you are stuck with that trade. There needs to be a final step that allows you, the initiator, to agree. (Possibly with a profile option to always just agree). This way, I could initiate with 4 people who have a buy it price for $35.00 - and the first person to respond, I can finish the trade and cancel the others.

Without this extra step... I either have to monitor the trades every 2 seconds and hope two people do not say "OK" at the same time, otherwise I am stuck buying 2 copies of the same game.

I'm sure I am the minority, but I am not interested in trades... just paypal! I am also not interested in haggling with people who list their games lower, then reply with "Well, 6 other people also want to buy this game... what can you offer to make me choose you!"

Let me initiate with potential sellers, and choose the person who responds the quickest without locking me into trades.

[quote name='formerroadie']I would like to see the matching system not just match me with people who have games from my want list, but also match my haves list with others want lists. This way, I can see whom I can trade with. Currently, it doesn't work out very well.[/QUOTE]

I would like to make a third motion. Sorry for the "double" post. Hey, at least I read this whole thread!

This is a great idea

[quote name='wakasm']That's my issue. There IS a buy price. But people haggle even after saying you will pay that amount.

After going through this a few times - my major feedback:

There needs to be a second round of approval.

Step 1: Initiate Trade
Step 2: Person Accepts / Rejects Trade
Step 3: You accept FINAL TRADE!!!

Currently, if you initiate a trade, if they say yes then you are stuck with that trade. There needs to be a final step that allows you, the initiator, to agree. (Possibly with a profile option to always just agree). This way, I could initiate with 4 people who have a buy it price for $35.00 - and the first person to respond, I can finish the trade and cancel the others.

Without this extra step... I either have to monitor the trades every 2 seconds and hope two people do not say "OK" at the same time, otherwise I am stuck buying 2 copies of the same game.

I'm sure I am the minority, but I am not interested in trades... just paypal! I am also not interested in haggling with people who list their games lower, then reply with "Well, 6 other people also want to buy this game... what can you offer to make me choose you!"

Let me initiate with potential sellers, and choose the person who responds the quickest without locking me into trades.[/QUOTE]

You would then run into the problem of all those others that accept your offer being in limbo about selling their game to others as they wait to see if you will actually buy their game. Of course I guess the same is true now where buyers are left in limbo until the seller responds. Is there any time of time limit on when the offers expire?

[quote name='wakasm']That's my issue. There IS a buy price. But people haggle even after saying you will pay that amount.

I'm sure I am the minority, but I am not interested in trades... just paypal![/QUOTE]

Would that buy price be set by the seller or can we, as the buyer, set a price point as well? I have not came across a section to do this. I was hoping that other ppl who see our buying price would approach us w/ copy of said game for sale. That would eliminate any haggling issue as the seller sees our buying price.

I also only really purchase games, very rarely trading anything from my collection.

Just noticed that White Knight Chronicles is listed in my matches as being $45 from johnsonnguyen3, with 3 available in total, but when I click to go the page the price is actually $50 from johnsonnguyen3 and his is the only one available. I suppose it is possible that 2 copies sold very recently and the third had it's price updated, but not sure, so thought I'd point it out.

I think someone else asked something similar to this, but will an offer automatically be canceled if there is no response from the recipient of the offer after a period of time?

Question about the wishlist.

Is that like a list of stuff Im wanting to buy and will be searchable by people who have it to sell? In other words if I update my wish list will someone with it be able to see I want it and send me a PM or something about it?

Or is it just a list of things I want for my own personal reference?

It's made for people to see which games are on your (wish)list and you can also see the matches under the "marketplace" tab. It will show you how many copies are available, lowest price, etc.

It is more than a personal list. I wish everyone used it. It would make it easier when they "want" something.

[quote name='gargus']Question about the wishlist.

Is that like a list of stuff Im wanting to buy and will be searchable by people who have it to sell? In other words if I update my wish list will someone with it be able to see I want it and send me a PM or something about it?

Or is it just a list of things I want for my own personal reference?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jimmayhorn']It's made for people to see which games are on your (wish)list and you can also see the matches under the "marketplace" tab. It will show you how many copies are available, lowest price, etc.

It is more than a personal list. I wish everyone used it. It would make it easier when they "want" something.[/QUOTE]

I wasnt sure if it was more than just for personal reference or not. Ill be filling mine up pretty good here shortly then.

Im even gonna rip off your sig link while Im at it hehe.

I know this has been asked before, but I have not seen an answer (if there was one, sorry I missed it). The marketplace currently states Uncharted 2 as being the game in highest demand, with 392 people who want it. Is there any way to see who these people are and what is on their trade lists? I know I can see the matches to my wish list for this game, but what if some of these people have something on their trade lists that I would be willing to trade for, but had not considered putting on my wish lists?

Basically, instead of just finding people who have games for trade, I would like to see who wants specific games so I could possibly set trades up that way.

Thanks.

[quote name='biscuit']I know this has been asked before, but I have not seen an answer (if there was one, sorry I missed it). The marketplace currently states Uncharted 2 as being the game in highest demand, with 392 people who want it. Is there any way to see who these people are and what is on their trade lists? I know I can see the matches to my wish list for this game, but what if some of these people have something on their trade lists that I would be willing to trade for, but had not considered putting on my wish lists?

Basically, instead of just finding people who have games for trade, I would like to see who wants specific games so I could possibly set trades up that way.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I've asked for this also, and apparently it is in development.

Is there anything we can do about being notified when someone uses the chat feature? I just noticed I had a few questions asked a few days ago, and I simply thought the user was ignoring/not logging in to my trades.

[quote name='myl0r']Is there anything we can do about being notified when someone uses the chat feature? I just noticed I had a few questions asked a few days ago, and I simply thought the user was ignoring/not logging in to my trades.[/QUOTE]

Working on it.

This is unrelated to the marketplace, but I wanna ask it here.

John, is there any way to make an option for people to encode their posts to prevent copying of them or a direct cut/paste? Like, for example, is there any way to add in an option that would cause a cut/pasted post to come out scrambled when the person who copied it tried to paste it?

I ask because every so often we have deals stolen and re-posted on other deal sites.

[quote name='biscuit']I know this has been asked before, but I have not seen an answer (if there was one, sorry I missed it). The marketplace currently states Uncharted 2 as being the game in highest demand, with 392 people who want it. Is there any way to see who these people are and what is on their trade lists? I know I can see the matches to my wish list for this game, but what if some of these people have something on their trade lists that I would be willing to trade for, but had not considered putting on my wish lists?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I can see why that could be helpful, but also see how that could spawn a lot of unwanted incoming trade requests. I would think that if those people were interested in trading, they would fill out their trade list.

[quote name='CheapyD']I can see why that could be helpful, but also see how that could spawn a lot of unwanted incoming trade requests. I would think that if those people were interested in trading, they would fill out their trade list.[/QUOTE]
But then the person with the game is left to wait until someone finds them. If we included a way to search for people seeking a certain game, a user can be more proactive in making trades possible. With a game like Uncharted 2, it might seem trivial, but when you consider people wanting to get rid of lesser known/niche titles, it could be very beneficial. Instead of waiting for someone to request your niche title, you can seek someone who is looking for it.

Sorry if already mentioned, but in Collection, when I select "Show Added Date" and then sort by a column, it removes the show added date part and I have to re-save it to make it visible again.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This is unrelated to the marketplace, but I wanna ask it here.

John, is there any way to make an option for people to encode their posts to prevent copying of them or a direct cut/paste? Like, for example, is there any way to add in an option that would cause a cut/pasted post to come out scrambled when the person who copied it tried to paste it?

I ask because every so often we have deals stolen and re-posted on other deal sites.[/QUOTE]

Not really... the only ways of doing that are easy to work around.

Ok, features incoming (tomorrow with any luck, or over the weekend if I crash out and sleep for 24 hours):

Lots of notifications
- You'll get a PM when someone leaves you feedback.
- It'll say the number of trades waiting for your attention underneath the CAG logo (similar to how it does with PMs).
- When looking at your trades, you'll see a speech bubble icon next to any trade that has unread messages.

New features
- Clicking "Suggest a Price" will spawn a price data tooltip that gives you some handy data for figuring out how much to suggest for a game.
- Mutual trade cancellation: Accidentally had a trade accepted by someone who has no idea who they are or why they're here? You can initiate a cancellation request - if the other user hasn't sent anything or doesn't respond, the trade will be cancelled.
- Trade offer expiration: trade offers will now expire after a set time.
- Double confirmation: You send a trade request, the other user accepts, and then you have to accept the acceptance to start the trade.
- More payment methods, multiple choice, along with a limited display of what a user is willing to accept before submitting a trade.
- Indicators to see from within the collection browser when a game hasn't been flagged as for sale/trade.
- Print a pack-in slip with address, trade overview, shipment contents.
- See feedback that a user has left for other users.

Bug fixes
- Fixed some screwy statistics throughout the marketplace.
- Fixed the lowest price sometimes not matching with the user who actually had it for the lowest price.
- Game condition bug where switching editing mode can lead to the wrong values being assigned.
- Fixed a bug where some really early games that were added to collections when we first launched have a bug where they were set as NTSC-J.
- New colours for condition status icons.

Don't panic if something you've suggested hasn't made it, it's not the last update we'll be doing - and yes, at some point we'll have something to let you find buyers for a game you have, rather than the other way around. (Still working out the details though.)

Let me be the second to say, "you guys are great!" Looking forward to all the changes. Thanks to everyone that worked on this.

BTW, I still think people are not aware that you should price your games with shipping in mind. I wish people would just read a little more. :roll:

[quote name='John']Not really... the only ways of doing that are easy to work around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick response. I figured as much, since it was being discussed in the Kmart thread after kaydigi's tv list got copy/pasted to both SD and FW.

bread's done
Back