CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hi gents, longtime listener, keep up the fine podcasting.

Have a question for both of you, but perhaps mainly aimed at Cheapy.

Does it worry you that as the CAG community grows the practice of buying games and flipping them for profit (be it instore credit or real monies) is becoming more and more accepted and that this may give the site a bad reputation with retailers like Gamestop or Best Buy.

We now have a thread dedicated to flipping games and recently someone posted a comment from a GS manager who allegedy said "Oh you must be one of those CAG guys who flips games for profit".

I may sound like an old man here but I remember a time when flipping games was generally cast in a poor light on this site and people where encouraged to buy games to actually play them. It saddens me to see the site becoming more and more like the videogame equivalent of FW or SD.

Be interested to hear your opinions. Thanks.

PS. Any update on the pizza guy Cheapy ?

To wombat: I know you're a big ratchet fan so with ratchet and clank:a crack in time coming this fall,what do you think of the new time travel mechanics? And cheapyD: since you didn't get tools of destruction,will you give this ratchet a buy now that it has the time travel mechanics which changes the gameplay and makes it more fresh?

hey cheepyD have you played the demo to Magna Carta 2, and if so what did you think about it. cause i played and enjoyed it just couldn't understand any of it

I just got a 360 in June, and after playing Burnout Paradise and Call of Duty 4 for an extended period of time, I noticed something I don't really notice with other consoles. The use of the shoulder buttons in those games really takes a toll on my fingers.

Looking at the 360 triggers, they are totally different from the PS3, Wii, and Gamecube triggers. They are recessed way into the controller. I really like playing Burnout a lot, but my fingers can't take it. Has anybody had similar problems?

Hey Cheapy,

I just wanted to ask you *No suitable nodes are available to serve your request* and that just doesn't seem to *No suitable nodes are available to serve your request* for me. What are your thoughts on that?

Hey Cheapy,

I wanted to ask you what your *No suitable nodes are available to serve your request* and to see if you *No suitable nodes are available to serve your request*. What do you think?

Hey guys, this question is for wombat, Marvel just revealed that they are making Blade, X-Men, Planet Hulk, Wolverine and Iron Man anime, what are your thoughts on that? I'm not sure if you are a fan of anime so I'd like to know how you feel.

Greetings and salutations my CAG brethren.

First off let me say I rented The Watchmen, and My wife and I loved it. Rorschach is a Bad dude! I now now know what my Halloween costume will be (I will send pics).

On to the meat. I recently browsed I tunes for some audio books and came across a free one named "Free: The Future of Radical Price By Chris Anderson".

I highly recommend a listen, if not the book in its entirety, at least skip ahead to the 3:01:20 mark where he speaks specifically about the video game industry (though he mentions it throughout the book). In the audiobook he details why "FREE" works so well. Throughout, it seems like he is reading from CheapAssGamer.com's business model. He examines many of the common themes that are brought up in the CAGcast like the future of download only games, the successful XBOX live and the Iphone micro transaction business model, and in-game advertising.

Anyway, thought this might either help direct future CAG business, validate some of your and Wombat's past revelations or at least promote some more healthy discussion.

P.S. I, much like the both of you, am a gamer with a child ( my daughter is about 4) and I have just learned that I will be a gamer with 2 children. I will inform you in about 7.5 months how this affect my life, in the hopes of encouraging or dissuading you from pursuing a similar path:)

Thanks again,
MyopicProphet

Cheapy and Wombat,

Do you think Gamestop dropped the price on Street Fighter 4 in an attempt to kneecap the XBLA release of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2? I was all set to drop the $15 on MvC2, but not after I just got SF4 for only 5 beans more. With the rising price of downloadables (XBLA's Summer of $15 games = fuck you) I openly welcome them to try and compete, it can only mean savings for us.

Hey guys.

Wombat,

What's with all the negative thinking towards DJ Hero? Every time it's mentioned on the show you seem to quickly end the subject or talk about how it will fail. Is there something personal about this issue? Don't like the genre of music? Perhaps a bizarre turntable accident that occured in your childhood that you prefer not to disguss? What gives?

cheapy do u listen to the japanese rock music over there i have heard of several bands like Des-Row, Puffy and diren gray i was wondering if u listen to jap. rock and if u do recommend any artist. hi wombat this is for you since i gave cheapyd a question what was wombats first car and what age did he get his motor on. thanks for the cagcast this is jaime from bakersfield, ca

First time listing to the show, and it was great, will continue to follow each week, but I got a great question that both Cheapy or Wombat or even Ms. Cheapy can answer...

source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6214434.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=morenews&tag=morenews;title;9

After reading this lawsuit article with Microsoft poor production of the XBOX 360, given it's already had a few others. Why aren't more gamers standing up and facing off with Microsoft rather then continue to support them. XBOX 360 has great games and a great multiplayer online community set up but it has the worst hardware on the market, however I've heard the horror stories of friends who boxes die on them months, even years after purchase and instead go for replacements even though, hearing people talk about they are on their 3rd or 4th XBOX already. Even worst when watching and listening to employees at GameStop or Game Crazy pushing extended warranties on the system and talking to the consumers about the horrors the system has in failing. Makes me wonder that Microsoft is winning in hardware sales due to the fact consumers rather buy new boxes in hopes on not dying with hopeful promises on them rather fighting for their hard earn money back or time lost over this. It's bad that I can dust off my Super Nintendo from the first year it launched in 1993 turn it on and it out performs my XBOX 360 bar none considering my XBOX has problems of it's own. Examples such as if it's set Horizontal and you place a disc in the drive and close the tray it pops back out on you, but in Vertical it's reads them and plays them, or when you play a new game in already 15-30 minutes in it pops up and saids "The disc is unreadable!" So why aren't there more gamers teaming up to combat Microsoft over this matter, why are we still supporting them after we have seen their trend in their hardware design?

(sorry for the long question)
Thanks for your time and keep on rocking guys! GAG forever!
HCHecxz

Hey Mrs. Cheapy and Mrs. Wombat! I was wondering if you ever heard anything Cheapy or Wombat said on the podcast that you were upset/angry/shocked that they said it?

There was no real big news out of Comic-Con. Quite frankly I find it refreshing not to have 'big announcements' every two months at every single event whether it's relevant or not. Do you guys agree or were you disappointed there wasn't more gaming news?

Cheapy and Wombat with game after game that was going to come out this year being push back until 2010 what game do you wish didn't get push back?

I'll give the obligatory "Long time listener first time caller (poster)" intro, but now onto the question. I'm going to be studying abroad at Temple in Tokyo this fall and I'm a fan of food, specifically Japanese food. I'm unfortunately stuck in dorms even though I've avoided them my whole college career so far and given they're about 40 minutes away I won't be stopping at home for lunch and possibly dinner on occasion. Do you know and good / cheap eats in the Minato area?

Also, could you send me a lead on a hidden gem in Tokyo? Cool little shop, hidden park, unique restaurant, ect. I know there must be a ton, but if I could get a CheapyD pick of the week so to speak that would be fantastic. Something to get me started.

hey cheapy and wombat, I was just wondering do you have any new bathroom ds games? i recently bought worms open warfare 2 and i find it great for bathroom time! its a game that you can just pick up and play for a few minutes if you go to quick start and its also just a good game like worms games are.

Hey Cheapy,
A while back you talked about possibly combining all the video game threads to one section and then having an off topic thread, kinda like Neo-gaf. Any movement there? I think it would be a great idea. I have been away from internet access for the last week (I got married in the Poconos!!). I am trying to catch up on gaming news and rather than surveying each news site for past posts, I just went to Neo-gaf knowing that any huge gaming news I may have missed will have its own thread, probably on the first page. How do other CAGs feel about one gaming thread to rule them all? Anyway, looking forward to the next CAGcast.
Peace

Hey Cheapy and Wombat

After the rude Xbox live debacle as a result of Wombat's moment in the gamer spotlight: How do you think you'll approach allowing your kids to play games online?

Oh yeah, this reminds me. Wombat got off lucky because the Xbox live community didn't know that he was a Jew! Man, it might've been a whole different sort of podcast.

Hey Cheapy, This August 19 I will be going to Japan for the first time in my life, I will be spending the entire time in Tokyo and was wondering if you could give some CheapyD approved locales around Tokyo that I should check out.

Hi, I don't know if I should post this here or somewhere else, but since that recent store update thing you've done to the site, I'm no longer able to find a quick CAG-ified link to Amazon. It must be there somewhere, but every time I try to click what I think will be a shopping link, I'm directed to the store reviews instead. You must be missing out on a lot of money from affiliate referrals (and not just from me, though I imagine that's a lot right there). Can you please make it easier to get to the online store from your website? Thank you.

hey phenomenal show guys. I can't believe that this thread is so anti those people who wrote those comments to wombat. They should be embraced. I almost had a heart attack from laughing at the stuff they were saying. And you gotta admit they were for the most part right. One guy said you suck at games which you always mention you do. One guy called you fat, which you are. Another guy said he would kick your ass, he probably could. Great stuff from those xbox live members. There isnt enough of that shredding type humor on your podcast. Cheapy used to rip into you, but now he's stopped probably because you cried or cause your wife said something. Cheapy keep shredding this fool, he's a loser. thank you

Hey guys,

Do you think the various games being delayed and forced into next year will benefit from that push? I have a feeling that these games will actually catch the attention of more people by not becoming lost in all of the holiday confusion. The original Bioshock proved that games released in the middle of the year can be very successful and refreshing for gamers during the Summer drought. Do you guys feel that games such as Bioshock 2 will be more successful and enjoyable without having to be rushed through during the holiday months?

Thanks.

Outstanding show, fellas. Don't know how I'd make it through work without you guys.

Do you have plans for a retro gaming segment on the CAGcast? I've been listening to old episodes and am really digging the movie quotes/game music intros. Do you still play the retro systems or have you traded them all in for new games?

I already have an 80 gig iPod Classic, Is it worth getting an Ipod Touch for the apps and all that jazz~

Also, safe trip CheapyD, Take Care Wombat! You guys are awesome keep up the good.. no awesome work!

hey wombat for being the xbox star of the month did u get anything cool like a free game, item or anything just wondering congrats

Hey guys! I've got questions for both of you.

Cheapy:
What are your TV viewing habits like in Japan? Do you watch any Japanese TV shows even though you (supposedly)can't speak the language that well?

Both:
What are your thoughts on the XBLA upgraded re-release of the PS1-era top-down shooter, Raystorm? Have you even played the original version?

Both:
Would you two ever consider doing an full-length, off-topic, non-gaming related episode of the CAGcast? It seems like the off-topic discussion you guys do at the beginning of the show is the high point for each episode.

And finally:
Could you move the CAGbag to the beginning or middle of the show instead of the end? By the time you guys get to it, both of you have lost interest in the show entirely and are ready to call it a day/night after only a hand full of questions. Drunken Gamers Radio starts their show off with the mailbag and that format works surprisingly well.

Love the CAGcast and the site! -Swim-

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Cheapy

I have been listening to the CAGcast for a while now and I have heard you bash the Star Wars prequels and I was wondering why you hate them so much.

Love the cagcast and keep it up.

Wombat,

Where in the hell is your blog with the Conduit review? Did you give up on it?

Bobby Kotick must be stopped! Did you guys hear his latest comment on raising game prices even more if he could?! I mean yeah its his job to bring profit to Activision, but come on this is the guy who actually coined the term "annualization" and is trying to "monetize" COD and is also releasing a million Guitar Hero games a year and as many peripherals. Not to mention this is the guy who's making 15 million dollars a year! This kind of thing in my opinion will ultimately just hurt the industry. I hope his boat, which runs on diamonds, capsizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cheapy, a few episodes ago you talked about getting more hits with controversial episode titles (Wombat and Hitler were right!) Since iTunes doesn't track the number of downloads or subscribers a podcast receives I was wondering how you track it.

Hey, Wombat. I really think those people who sent you trash on your gamertag should go to hell. They all sounded like pimple-faced, 13-year-old Halo junkies. Just because you and Cheapy like to put your penis in things doesn't make you horrible people. Keep up the awesome work you two, and don't let those a-holes get the satisfaction of upsetting you.

Hello, me fine gents...[/british]

I was just wondering if there was a moment in a game, recent or otherwise, that made you put the game away and never pick it up again.

I recently just played Ghostbusters, and aside from the constant dicktease of never hearing Ray Parker, Jr.'s dulcet tones, there was a part that I just couldn't get past. I played all the way through the game and in the cemetary at the end, the goddamed flying angels ended the game for me. I must have tried 20 times to get through this part.

I packed it in its case and put it back on the shelf. Quite a shame, because I really enjoyed my experience with the game. Good story and fun humor were ruined by a ridiculously hard part.

What are your thoughts?

Hi guys. Love the show, keep up the good work.

CHEAPY: Being a citizen in Japan, I am very curious. When you, Mrs. Cheapy and/or Tai go out anywhere, do people give you odd looks because your wife has to translate your english to japanesse?

WOMBAT: I know that your very much looking forward to Arkham Asylum. The confirmed list of villains isn't too bad. We have Joker, Harley Quinn, Mr. Zsaz, Bane, Poison Ivy, and Scarecrow. Are their any other villains you think should be in this game? Also, which system are you buying for? 360 for nerd points, or PS3 for Joker?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

What are your thoughts on the pricing of the Games on Demand, especially when it comes to the older games from the Xbox 360 launch and the year or so after that? Games like Call of Duty 2, Rockstar's Table Tennis, and Rainbow Six Vegas are $30 and it seems like age really doesn't factor in the pricing as much as it should. When was the last time you saw any of these games or the others of that timeframe (Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Ridge Racer 6, Prey, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc) actually in stock at a B&M store and new? At this point, retailers don't care about those games anymore and that should allow for cheaper pricing if the publishers want that. Do you see any situations where you would buy any of these games at their current prices or what should they do to get you to bite on something?

To add to that with the new update, what do you think of the avatar marketplace, avatar rewards, and the recent announcements of avatar uses in retail games? Guitar Hero 5 is supposed to let you use your avatar in place of its characters to play the game and Dirt 2 might allow you to get a little avatar statue to hang from your rearview mirror in the game. Are these potential uses interesting to you and should more developers be integrating these kinds of uses into their games since they have been around for almost a year now? Are you willing to spend points on anything in the marketplace for your avatar or will you stick to any rewards that games may offer?

I'll list Games on Demand pricing in case you haven't memorized the prices of the newest additions with the update today:

Assassin's Creed - $29.99 - November 2007
Battlefield: Bad Company - $19.99 - June 2008
Bioshock - $29.99 - August 2007 - Bundled with Oblivion for $40 right now
Burnout Paradise - $19.99 - February 2008
Call of Duty 2 - $29.99 - November 2005
DDR Universe - $29.99 - February 2007
Fight Night Round 3 - $19.99 - February 2006
Kameo - $19.99 - November 2005
Karaoke Revolution: American Idol Encore - $29.99 - February 2008
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - $29.99 - November 2007
Mass Effect - $19.99 - November 2007 - Doesn't seem to include the DLC that the Platinum Hits version has despite having the PH boxart.
Meet the Robinsons - $29.99 - March 2007
MX vs. ATV: Untamed - $29.99 - December 2007
Need for Speed Carbon - $19.99 - October 2006
Need for Speed Most Wanted - $19.99 - November 2005
Oblivion - $29.99 - March 2006 - Bundled with Bioshock for $40 right now - Not the Game of the Year version
Perfect Dark Zero - $19.99 - November 2005
Prey - $19.99 - July 2006
Rainbow Six Vegas - $29.99 - November 2006
Ridge Racer 6 - $19.99 - November 2005
Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis - $29.99 - May 2006
Sonic the Hedgehog - $19.99 - November 2006
Viva Pinata - $19.99 - November 2006
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise - $29.99 - September 2008

Hey CheapyD and Wombat,

I was wondering what your thoughts on 50 Cent being in Modern Warfare 2 were.

I personally think this is bad, it makes it extremely obvious that Activision is trying to hit the mainstream audience hard.

Cheapy - You always talk about how you get excellent customer service in Japan, have you had any bad experiences at all? If so, any stand outs? (Wombat - same for you, when/where did you get your worst customer service ever?)

[quote name='Xrazor']Hey CheapyD and Wombat,

I was wondering what your thoughts on 50 Cent being in Modern Warfare 2 were.

I personally think this is bad, it makes it extremely obvious that Activision is trying to hit the mainstream audience hard.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that if you didn't know that 50 did one of the voices, you wouldn't even think twice when you heard his dialogue.

Did you know that the singer from Faith No More, was Nathan Spencer in the new Bionic Commando? If not, does it change your opinion of the game? Well, it shouldn't.

bread's done
Back