CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

This question is for Shipwreck: have you gotten around to watching The King of Kong and currently, how are your Donkey Kong skills?

Hey guys I was wondering if you were going to be talking about the Extra Life Marathon on the Cagcast this week and will you be participating? If so what will you guys be playing? I am very excited about this event and hope to see you guys online!

Oh and I just want to say I love the Cagcast I look forward to downloading and listening to it every week. I promise I will give it a review on iTunes someday.

I know that you have given a lot of shout outs to the extra life charity team, but I think one more thing needs to be said.

We just updated the big raffle. We now have 50 copies of Naughty Bear, 30 copies of Dirt, and 10 copies of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow to give away! We also added codes for Sonic Adventure and Sonic 4 Episode 1, and copies of LA Machineguns/Gunblade NYC and Tournament of Legends. We currently have 180 items to give away in that raffle.

For every dollar donated/raised, you earn 1 raffle entry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy, what do you make of Microsoft not giving any sort of push for 3D on the X-box? It seems the system is capable as they've had a few games supporting 3D in the past and the new Call of Duty game lists 3D support for the PS3 and 360. Do you think they give as much a shit about 3D as everyone else?

With a lot of talk about outlines on last week's podcast, I am curious as to what an outline looks like. Can you show us an example?

Question for Wombat:

I, like you, didn't think Alan Wake was quite as amazing as the gaming press (and Shipwreck/Cheapy) did. It had repetitive environments, gameplay elements, etc., but the story and atmosphere made it an above average game.

So why do you think the gaming press isn't championing Enslaved to the same level? It works even better in the gameplay dept, and its story and atmosphere are extremely well-developed from a writing standpoint. Is it because it's not horror? Not a shooter? What?

What do you guys think of the Legacy of Kain series? and do you think they'll ever get around to making a new sequel for the current generation consoles?

What do you guys think of using the Kinect as a piece of exercise equipment. I don't want to buy a treadmill, I don't want to leave my house, but I do want to lose some weight. I notice a lot of exercise stuff coming out for Kinect that doesn't look like the crap they put on the Wii. I thought it may be a fun way to exercise without buying blocky equipment.

Wombat,

I grew up on L.I. and the closest we had to pumpkin picking was a trip to King Kullen. Where do you guys go to pick pumpkins these days?

Cheapy, Ship - do you foreigners have places to go pumpkin picking?

Cheapy, you've mentioned numerous times that you never edit or delete threads that talk about a glitch or pricing mistake. But you follow up with saying you would never advertise it on the front page.

With the addition of the new Top 10 Thread links right up there on the top of the front page, what will you do if a glitch thread makes its way to the Top 10 list? Will it be nuked like the free XBLA games glitch?

1st: I really like the new mobile version of the site. While my phone worked fine with the full version I find the mobile much quicker for browsing around and reading. Nice update.

Second a Question/Site Request: is there anyway add an option to filter out certain platforms when try to do a search for games? With the inclusion of the several thousand iOS/iPhone apps the search feature seems to predominate show (sometimes only marginally related) iOS results. I have a hard time finding some games because it returns several versions of apps that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

Specific example: trying to add 'Club Penguin: Herbert's Revenge DS' (for my daughter, but I track everything I buy, even for the girls) to my collection ended up returning nothing but club penguin iOS stuff. At first it didn't even show the original Club Penguin for the DS (although it shows up earlier in the search, and eventually showed up each time, not sure how the DB look up works or caches).

Can we get an option 'turn off' ever seeing a return for iOS? Whatever DB you all pull from means count of 'games' for the platform out-numbers all of the games for other systems. Preferably it can just be a user setting (check which platforms to search, much like the price tracker) -- allowing people to filter out platforms they don't own.

Thanks for thoughts on the recommendation, and especially thanks for the site and podcast!

[quote name='Ultramontane']
Cheapy, Ship - do you foreigners have places to go pumpkin picking?[/QUOTE]

Shipwreck lives in Ohio. Pretty sure they have pumpkins there.

Last week I had a discussion with a friend about digital selling retail games on home consoles. I'm only going to talk about the 360, as I don't own a PS3 and don't want to talk out of my ass.

Basically, we discussed the recent release of Gears of War 2 for $30 on xbox live. On the occasion of its release, Microsoft lowered the price of it's DLC (the all-encompassing pack) to $5. I haven't played the game in months, but bought the pack and am now playing online for the first time in awhile.

I probably never would have bought the pack if not for the very low price (it used to be $20, then $10). If Microsoft was trying to make money off of once-successful online games wouldn't it make sense to offer Gears at a lower point ($10 for the first month?) along with the discounted DLC to encourage new and older players to pick up the game? I'm not sure of the sale figures of Games on Demand, but I can't imagine they're amazing. Steam does something similar to this, such as the recent low pricing for Left 4 dead 1 and 2 for about $10.

Do you think this practice could work, or is the current model sufficient?

I'm a big fan of the CAGcast, keep it up.

Is it worth getting Fallout: new Vegas? or should I just wait to for the Game of the year edition that comes with all the DLC's at about the same price as the stand alone does. I am starting to regret buying games when they first come out and spending the extra cash to get the DLCs...when it will be nicely packed in the game of the year edition. I already have enough games to play that will tide me over till a Game of the year edition for fallout New vegas comes out....What's your opinion?

Hey guys I think it would be awesome if you would give a big congrats and thank you to Dr. Munkee for all the work he did with the CAG team for the Extra Life Marathon. Thanks to him organizing everything us cheap asses managed to raise over $9,000 for Children's Miracle Network

Any upgrades/changes coming up for the CAG marketplace?

It's a great feature on the site and better matchmaking functions would make it even better.

Cheapy what the heck happened to the Clip show for episodes 100-200....I know its probably quite a bit of work but you did it for the first 100 episodes.

With the lack of fast enough internet to connect XBLA. What games are coming out that can provide more than a few hours of single player. Third world internet sucks.

I sometimes find it amusing how we as CheapAssGamers often pick over the price and value of certain games in very minute detail, but don't take this same attitude everywhere else. For example, I often think "I'll but that game for $20, but not $25" and on the CAGcast you often remark that some DLC is worth $5 but not $7 or $10 but not $15.

However, even though I'm waiting to buy what's probably a pretty great game to save $5, I'll go out with my wife and buy a $6 beer as part of a $50 dinner. And I think Wombat remarked that he was waiting for some DLC (for Mass Effect 2 maybe?) to go on sale, although he's doing like $10,000 in renovations to his bathroom right now.

What do you guys think about this? Should we be willing to support the industry we love a bit more for what really amounts to small potatos if we're willing to spend even more money on fleeting pleasures like food and drink? I realize it kind of goes against the whole CAG ethos, but it does seem odd the places where we exercise our "thrifitness" and the places we don't (and I fully include myself in this behavior).

Very important question for me as I have just listened to my very first podcast (#216).

What CAGcasts are the "classics"? I will hopefully be listening most nights and I want to be sure to get the highest quality episodes downloaded. So, personal favorites guys?

What do you guys think about Fallout: New Vegas getting really good review scores and almost universal praise by the game media despite many people complaining about it being a buggy piece of shit, almost to the point of unplayability? It seems like a lot of reviewers simply excused this fact and minimized it because New Vegas is a "great game". They mention it, but give New Vegas a pass because it delivers a great "experience". Or one of my favorite excuses-technical problems are a staple of the series, so who cares?

Shouldn't that be something that's taken into consideration, considering the finished product is a big mess? It seems that since New Vegas a big name title with lots of advertising, it gets away with it. Great game or not, major technical bullshit and sloppy development should not be excused and tolerated. At all. I don't care what game it is or how amazing it is. You see this kind of stuff all the time with reviews, and it's embarrassing that reviewers give certain games a pass.

It's even more ridiculous with New Vegas because some glitches, bugs, and problems from Fallout 3 still haven't been fixed. That's inexcusable. Even with a patch, a lot of people are still experiencing major problems with New Vegas.

I understand future patches could eliminate some of these problems, but still, that could be months down the line.

Last edited:
Should there be a gamer etiquette that if the game contains a one-time use code that is a separate sheet in the case and not on the back of the instruction manual, if you use the code and then get rid of the game (trade-in/sell,) you should throw the sheet away so that the next person who purchases/rents/etc. the game doesn't think the code in there has been unused?

CheapyD, did you hear about Tribes Universe? I know you talked about Tribes many many casts ago and was reminded about you when I heard of it.

HiRez studios just got the rights to Tribes and they're making a new game! Here are some highlights :

* Three Tribes (factions)
* Full clan (agency) support
* First person view (third person for some vehicles)
* Full vehicle support (ground and air)
* Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
* PvP focused
* Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
* Large scale fights (100+ players)
* Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons, etc

They said Alpha testing will begin at the start of 2011. If it was 15 dollars a month and was everything you wanted Tribes to be in a "sequel", would you still do it?

Week - Cagcast = Sad Waatulakula for a week. Hope the Shipwrecks enjoyed their trip to Japan, and have a safe flight home. I look forward to hearing about it on the Cagcast this week

Hey Cheapy, I wanted to get your guy's thoughts on the current state of leaderboards in games. Are they even relevant anymore? I like to try and top a leaderboard as much as the next person, but more and more often they end up being hacked. Call of Duty has been notorious for having hundreds of people hacking their way to the top with outrageous stats. Yet they've never bothered to fix it or even punish those who do it. The latest victim being Super Meat Boy with times of 0.00 for every level. Half the fun of the game is seeing how much time you can shave off with a perfect run, yet it's rendered almost worthless when you're suppose to be in the top 20 yet now you sit back past 100 or more. Sure it's just a number and I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it legit, but it still sucks.

Thoughts?

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

How does the likelihood of a game getting an eventual "Game of the Year" release with all of the DLC affect your desire to purchase a game near its launch? I'm skipping Fallout: New Vegas precisely for this reason, along with having the Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition to get through at the moment, since every Bethesda RPG so far this generation has had a re-release with the DLC about a year later. There are a bunch of these re-releases that come out nowadays, so this seems like a more serious factor to consider when buying new games than ever.

Greetings Cheapy D and Wombat,

My question is simple, since you both loved Fable II so much, and Fable III releases tonite at midnite, how excited do you think we should all be for the followup to your second favorite title of 2008? (saints row 2 of course being the first) Thx for answering,

your new loyal CAGer, Richard Rahl IV

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, Ship,

A year or two ago, I talked here about not getting promised codes on pre-orders, and haven't pre-ordered anything since until Fable 3.

Well, got my sword and tattoo code, but even on launch day, they didn't have the Create a Villager code for me. Considering the Fable 3 launch was SO pre-order bonus heavy, you would think they wouldn't F this up. Thoughts?

[quote name='joem5815']Hey Cheapy, Wombat, Ship,

A year or two ago, I talked here about not getting promised codes on pre-orders, and haven't pre-ordered anything since until Fable 3.

Well, got my sword and tattoo code, but even on launch day, they didn't have the Create a Villager code for me. Considering the Fable 3 launch was SO pre-order bonus heavy, you would think they wouldn't F this up. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

To follow-up, in case any one was interested, I sent an e-mail to customer service, and not long after, got a call from the branch I pre-ordered with, and they gave me a code! Not sure if my e-mail was the direct cause, but I'd like to think it was. Also, in case of interest, here's the message:
Customer service,

I've just picked up a pre-ordered copy of Fable 3 from a [blank] branch. I was very disappointed to find that while I did receive a code for the in-game tattoo and sword pre-order bonus, the other promised pre-order bonus, a redemption code that would allow me to upload a character I'd created on the Lionhead Studios website to my game, was unavailable to me. I was told that the limited supply of codes had been exhausted and that nothing could be done.

The code is not connected to any physical product, nor to the digitally stored character I can create for free at any time, but only to the allowance to upload that character to my game. To say that supply is limited, even to those who pre-order the product, is disingenuous.

That said, I feel that as a paying customer who pre-ordered with [blank] primarily for the pre-order bonuses, it is [blank]'s responsibility to provide for me all of the promised bonuses, especially if the bonus is digital rather than physically manufactured. If a redemption code could be e-mailed to me to meet that responsibility, it would be greatly appreciated.

[my info]

[branch's info]

Hey CheapyD, now that Shipwreck's back from Japan:

What sort of games did Shipwreck buy or play on his vacation? Also, what would you recommend ordering at a Japanese restaurant?

Question ? Did you guys play the Force Unleashed 2 this week ? Were you disappointed that the game was only 4-5 hrs long and lot of things were changed not from the first one ?

Thanks

Feedback for trading is great...how about another tally for unresponsive people to trade offers on marketplace? How long should I leave a trade offer open? I could save myself a bunch of time if after a week and I canceled an offer, I could also give negative feedback to the other person for not accepting or declining. Thoughts?

I wouldn't want to presume too much but I think it's a fair assumption that the three of you guys aren't the biggest hip hop heads, or country western for that matter probably. Still now that DefJam Rapstar is out what are two songs (or artists) that you would like to see come to the game as DLC, and is there any realistic chance of you guys taking the plunge and buying it?

If you've played Singstar let me recommend that DJR is like the worst parts of SingStar but it actually works and is fun.

For me since they already have LL Cool J and Rapper's Delight my two top wants are Grandmaster Flash's "The Message"and maybe KRS-One's "Step into a World (Rapture's Delight)" maybe some Kurtis Blow as a third and The Symphony as #4

The Message

KRS-One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQyJf4N4QTw

Kurtis Blow - if I ruled the world
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-jANkqpQo

Marley Marl (the first posse rap song) - The Symphony

Other Songs I would probably want

You mentioned that you like the 360 controller better (same here). I was wondering if any of you had purchased the Nyko Raven for the PS3, and if so what are your thoughts?

The Nintendo Wii has a shopping channel where people buy tangible goods like food starting Monday. Any chance of Cheapy doing a youtube video where he tries the service? I know you'd have to hook up your Japanese wii and all, but I bet this would get at least a million views from Nintendo nerds curious about something they will never experience.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Shopping_Service_3DS_Demo_Event_To_Japan.php

Chepay, Wombat, Ship - I've been watching 80s movies like crazy... so I'm wondering what's your favorite 80s move?

2nd question: I know that people like to say "they prefer good gameplay over graphics." I wondering... During development, if a developer focuses on great graphics... how does that really affect the outcome of the game's gameplay?
I always felt like there's some sort of stigma that a game with great graphics would be doomed to have poor gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you guys aren't big on the whole motion gaming thing. Frankly I'm not a fan myself, however my son is three and my daughter is two. Both of them are showing an interest in visor games and want to play with daddy. A traditional controller is both to big and to complicated for them to use comfortably. Since you guys (Cheapy and Wombat) have children close to their ages. I was wondering what you thought of he move and konect as options for toddlers?

Hey CheapyD. What GTA-style sandbox game is your favorite? Is it still Saint's Row 2? Did you play the PS2 GTA games and the GTA IV Expansions?

Hey I was wondering what you guys did for Halloween. Did you go trick or treating with your families and if so what did you dress up as?

Personally I never miss an opportunity to dress up no matter how old I get and I took my 2 and 4 yr old nephews (dressed as Mario and Luigi) around the neighborhood to get some free candy.

Cheapy and Shipwreck, being Billy Joel fans and Rock Band 3 keyboardists, will you be picking up his twelve song pack that's being released in December? What other keyboard-centric tracks do you have on your DLC wishlists?

Oh by the way, the situation with old DLC being updated is that some select songs with prominent keyboard parts that were ignored earlier due to the apsence of the keyboard controller may be added in the future. It's been hinted that the old Queen and Nine Inch Nails tracks are the priority in terms of updating anything with the new features. They haven's said if they will charge for the updates. Also, yes you can purchase any new Rock Band 3 DLC without having to pay another $1 for the pro guitar and bass. All new DLC comes with pro drums, keys/pro keys and harmonies auomatically though.

bread's done
Back