CAGcast #192: Mustering a Modicum of Nape

Gave the Joystiq podcast episode 0 a try. I was pretty bored at the beginning but I skipped around and heard some pretty funny stuff later on.

Great show guys. I liked it when Wombat mentioned the title of the CAGcast and Cheapy pretty much said meh. Usually the title is something funnier than a "meh".

(Hot Pocket voice) Hot Diet!

Sucks to hear Cheapy couldn't locate a copy of Deadly Premonition. I picked one up off Amazon with a couple promo credits I had saved up and about to expire.

Great show, guys.

Glad I'm not the only one to get tired from using the Wii Remote though I got tired when playing Trauma Center not MP3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

Do you have a link to somebody from Sony outwardly supporting it within the past two years? Or do you operate under the impression that if they said it once, they support it for the rest of time.[/QUOTE]

Why would they stop, do you have a link stating they have changed there stance? I don't know many companies that release press statements that say "we haven't changed our minds".

Yeah, Bioshock 2 is a bit of a let down,
it's almost like a expansion pack more than anything.
Although even the first Bioshock got very boring for me halfway through. :whistle2:#

I'm betting that the 360 sales will continue to get better until the PS3 shortage ends. :bomb:

A pet is almost like your son or daughter if your close to it. I remember when my pet died I cried like a bitch, meanwhile I have never cried when any of my friends or family have died :cold:

Hey CheapyD, Wombat and Shipwreck (Boatcrash)

I don't know why Wombat gets so little love. Wombat - I think you're awesome. Your sense of humour makes me giggle every show. Your Bill Cosby impression is definitely the highlight

Shipwreck gives fantastic game reviews - ones I really trust. Keep it up, dude!

And Cheapy - I love the way you cut through the crap and see things for how they truly are

I'm a UK listener and the contest has spurred me into posting a comment. Not sure if I'm even eligible but wanted to post anyway saying how much I enjoy your show.

good show guys. the Just Cause 2 demo was OK, I was blown away by the videos of the game but the demo left me a little underwhelmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for deals, and though I'm not so fond to listening to podcasts, I gave it a try, and it's awesome. Thanks a lot guys, really looking forward to next week's!

Great show.

A few comments on your IGN part of the show.

As far as I know Matt Casamassina does still work for IGN as a special "Editor at Large" who basically is not tied to any one part of the site and can write editorials and reviews about any story or game that he chooses.

I've heard Cheapy disagree with Matt's comments on Metriod Prime 3 on many shows. I can understand why you don't agree, but I think in some respects he is right. If you want to be able to aim with the speed and precision of a mouse and keyboard then I think that when you have the settings correct MP3 gets it right, but this only applies when you are aiming at things right in front of you. As soon as need to turn aiming gets a little awkward.

Personally, I really enjoyed MP3. My arm didn't get tired playing it. I think that if you are trying to quickly line up a head shot it does control better than a dual analog stick controller. If you are trying to turn around quickly and attack an enemy behind you, then it doesn't control better than dual analog stick controller. I think it just depends on what is more important to each individual gamer.

In terms of who on the site is impacting traffic, I would say the only IGN personality that really impacts traffic is Jessica Chobot.

Another great show!

Funny story though, I was listening to the last 20 minutes of the show after leaving a friends house at about 2 AM and someone thought it would be a great idea to park directly behind her driveway on a narrow street. Also a street with little to no lighting.

So you can only guess what happened next..... BAAAAAM! Backed right into the side of this car, now the back end of my Civic is all kinds of screwed up and the other car is screwed up even more.

But it was nice to have to CAGcast on as this happened.

[quote name='Sigma']Another great show!

Funny story though, I was listening to the last 20 minutes of the show after leaving a friends house at about 2 AM and someone thought it would be a great idea to park directly behind her driveway on a narrow street. Also a street with little to no lighting.

So you can only guess what happened next..... BAAAAAM! Backed right into the side of this car, now the back end of my Civic is all kinds of screwed up and the other car is screwed up even more.

But it was nice to have to CAGcast on as this happened.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, CAGCast causes car wrecks. Probably not the best advertising for the 'cast. ;) Maybe Shipwreck is imparting some "wreck" karma? (just kidding, ship, I think you're great on the show!)

Yeah, I got nothing. It was a great episode this week. Perfect length and it was fun to listen to.

/tk

It's nice to have a third, sometimes different, opinion on the show .
Kind of like the Ross Perot angle .
It creates a new dialogue instead of "It was awesome" or "It was a piece of shit" .
Also review recaps are great .

Can't wait to see the new logo, I vote for Wombat as a person.

good show. wombat was a lot better this week than he has been the past few weeks. must be all those compliments he's getting at work, "FAAAAABULOUSSSS!!"

Great show, as per usual. I've been a listener for a good few months now, (I believe the episode I started listening is the episode you guys officially made Boatcrash part of the crew permanently.) but have never bothered to comment. (Don't ask what compelled me to get off my cheap/lazy ass to comment ;P) Overall I love the show, and I actually like how you guys aren't afraid to cuss and make fun of the audience (especially during those awesome live shows you should do more often). I also love hearing all the funny stories about you guys lives (particularly Cheapy and his crazy adventures in Japan. That condom story was hilarious.)

Anyway, Cheapy, I too have been playing some Bad Company 2 and I also am playing as Medic. I love it. I just love running towards a dead body with my defib paddles out, hoping to survive, if only just enough to slam the paddles on the body and get him up. I can't get the hang of vehicles though. The aiming just seems to suck so bad on the tanks, and I my friends with the game are rarely playing it so I have to play by myself most of the time. Which means I'm often the only one in a vehicle. I guess that could be the source of my frustrations with them, but I haven't even ranked up the "Vehicle" bar on the kit rankup screen once. Because I don't have many people to play with, I often play Squad Deathmatch, which I actually like. I refused to play anything other than Free For All in Modern Warfare 2, and I think I"ll be spending a lot more time in Squad Deathmatch in BC1. I just hate objective games because it encourages objective camping. When I am entering the door or hole in the wall to get to a rush crate, I know I won't survive because some guy will be camping just inside with his shotgun or SMG aimed down the sights ready to kill me. I guess there's nothing the developers could really do about it, but still. I hate getting killed by objective campers.

The discussion on reviews was spot on. There are reviews out there that carry more validity because of the reviewer. I completely respect Shipwreck's reviews because he is very clear about what makes a game good for a general audience. His particular taste in games is extensive, but if he recommends an unusual game, I'll try to seek it out. Cheapy and Wombat both give good suggestions and I haven't been disappointed by their choices either.

For a general gaming site, like IGN, their reviewers are somewhat anonymous. I typically follow their reviews more than other generic sites (those without cool podcast hosts) and haven't really disagreed with their scores. I know that a seven or greater on IGN will be a decent game. But, I do prefer to hear why you guys like a game. And, all of the other CAGs that recommend as well. This site has led me to games I probably would never have tried. And, of course, this site made me buy them, too.

Keep up the great work. The CAGcast is a highlight of each week. Can't wait for E3 to hear some of the thoughts from that show.

PS I'm not that skilled at on-line FPS's either. I'm getting schooled by my 11-year old son at COD4. So, if you are ever looking for someone of your own skill level, look me up.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Cheapy's gay coworker impression sounds more like a ghost.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was hilarious.

An overall good show, fellas.

Great CAGCast yet again. I'm really loving the banter between the three of you guys as Wombat's no longer a punching bag -- the pain is now split with Boat Crash.

Just started re listening to the CAGcast after being away from it for about 6 months and couldn't have come back to a better episode, keep up the great work!

I've got to say Cheapy, that your outright dismissals of the new motion controllers is getting tiresome. We know, you don't like them, so why not just skip the subject altogether. And chastising another forum member for bringing this up just makes you look like a big sweaty dick.

I guess since you've already alienated a segment of your potential listening audience with weekly Wii bashing, shitting on adoption of motion controls by Sony and MS won't lose you any more audience members. Pissing on them isn't going to make motion controls go away, so, maybe you could actually put some thought into the concepts and come to some rational conclusions after the games are released? Or is campaigning for their failure the best chance to get in a prophetic "I told you so" a year from now?

Many users on your own forums declare their distaste for the Wii stems from last-gen graphics and Wiimote inaccuracies. Think of how much better many of these games can be with more accurate controls and mind blowing visuals. Sony may have an opportunity to beat Nintendo at their own game and bring an HD Wii to life years before Nintendo decides to do the same. Maybe you could take the time to really look at these systems' potential instead of taking the lazy way out and dismissing them out of hand.

The prejudice is really taking it's toll on me as a listener. I thought I might like to hear your opinion on the motion games when they are released, but it may now be impossible for you or any of the other listeners you've swayed to have an open mind on the subject.

At least we have Shipwreck, who will probably be willing to give these new toys half a chance.

i would like to win the 60$ giftcard from amazon...im broke right now and sure would like to pick up god of war 3, please hear a brother out cheapy

When shipwreck first started on CAGCast i didn't like him that much, but that was probably due to the fact that I was used to Cheapy and Wombat. Eventually Ship grew on me and now I think all 3 work together well. i don't think It would be as good without Ship.

So glad Shipwreck is official. I love the CAGcast but lately it seems like it's a hassle for Cheapy and Wombat to get through an episode. Having a 3rd person really helps them not have to be the only ones talking and being "on" all the time. Hopefully this is a turn around for the CAGcast.

Man Shipwreck has a voice on the CAGcast now, and one hell of one :p
Show got a needed boost everyone seems much more energetic

Glad you guys are keeping Boatcrash around permanently. It's nice to have three voices... keeps it from feeling like you are listening in on a phone call.

BTW If I can every get my MP3 working... I got some comments proper to make concerning Wombat's recommendation to "listen to all the eps thus fall to reduce repeating questions"

I love the podcast guys, this is where i get my video game news from and i appreciate you guys putting your time in to entertain us. I understand people giving constructive criticism and thats fine in my book if you guys ask for it, but some of these assholes are ungreatful for what you guys do, i appreciate it. Even if i didnt agree with what Wombat says sometimes I wouldnt bash him for telling his opinion, you guys are pretty funny, keep it up!

bread's done
Back