CAGcast #194: Shipwreck's Burden

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious why the MW2 maps getting screwed up elicits such a reaction and gets a "MS always screws this stuff up" but something like Sony failing such a basic programing code for a leap year (that turned every fat PS3 into a brick for a day, regardless of connection to the internet) gets a shrug and a "whatever, just don't play your PS3 for a day." I can only think of one or two other times when MS has screwed up a DLC launch (like Game Room and Fallout 3), which hardly qualifies as 'constantly' messing things up.

Not trying to say you're console biased or anything, because I really don't think you are, but Cheapy seems to have a strange lack of consistency for what irritates him.

Great show. Mad love for Wombat! I do a ton of freelance work from home, so I need tons of podcasts to keep me entertained while I work and away from games. You guys definitely do the best job of keeping me entertained while hard at work. Thanks for everything!

You gotta love the CAGcast. Informative AND halarious, it's all that gets me through my work day. :applause: Keep up the great work fellas.

Great show, especially the long segment on changing room showers haha, brilliant!

Really enjoying the cagcast. Ship is a great addition. Need to bring Mrs Ship on as a guest. I haven't heard any good spaying/neutering stories lately.

I had to pause the show because i got this image of shipwreck dressed as Hugh Hefner pulling on a little statue, swinging around in a hidden book-case door, which led to a bondage dungeon.

Now you all will see it too.

[quote name='Jest']I had to pause the show because i got this image of shipwreck dressed as Hugh Hefner pulling on a little statue, swinging around in a hidden book-case door, which led to a bondage dungeon.

Now you all will see it too.[/QUOTE]

But maybe we like it

Wombat is right. PAX is for the general public of gamers. Not for media-only showcases.

Also, CheapyD's comment of "showing a game before it's ready can really sour your opinion of it" hit home with me. I got a chance to play Bionic Commando on the 360 before it was released, and I was just so put off by the alpha build they showed me that it made me completely shun the game. My friends tell me the game isn't all that bad, but I'm still put off by it cause my first impression of it was that it was really awful.

On the modern warfare map pack, I went with my gut and the advice from the cagcast and just went with Bad Company. Good times to be had.

[quote name='Smallville123']i like the new automated contest system[/QUOTE]

You have good taste.

[quote name='Iron Past']I'm curious why the MW2 maps getting screwed up elicits such a reaction and gets a "MS always screws this stuff up" but something like Sony failing such a basic programing code for a leap year (that turned every fat PS3 into a brick for a day, regardless of connection to the internet) gets a shrug and a "whatever, just don't play your PS3 for a day." I can only think of one or two other times when MS has screwed up a DLC launch (like Game Room and Fallout 3), which hardly qualifies as 'constantly' messing things up.

Not trying to say you're console biased or anything, because I really don't think you are, but Cheapy seems to have a strange lack of consistency for what irritates him.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 leap year bug was caused by an off-the-shelf ARM Syscon CPU, it wasn't Sony's code that caused the glitch. Other than that you're right, MS rarely screw up except for Game Room and the Fallout 3 DLC. And Modern Warfare 2, of course. Oh, and then there was the time they released all the Mass Effect 2 DLC early and for free, by accident. Also when they released the Midnight Club: LA DLC early, and then pulled it. Come to think of it, that happened with a Gears of War 2 map pack as well. If that doesn't qualify as "constantly messing things up", it comes pretty close.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Geohot was already trying to hack the PS3 and showing off his results before the update, so it's not like the update caused him to start it up.[/QUOTE]

According to his blog it's the reason he's now developing custom firmware for the system, which is far more of a potential threat to Sony than his previously released exploit.

I'd like to start a fund to hire a guy to go to Wombat's house and smack him in the back of the head next time he starts making annoying noises over the Godaddy ad.

[quote name='John']According to his blog it's the reason he's now developing custom firmware for the system, which is far more of a potential threat to Sony than his previously released exploit.[/QUOTE]
From what I've read about his early PS3 work, he didn't get much further than anybody else before him, so what makes him so sure that he could get to the next level and put out custom firmware soon after the update?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']From what I've read about his early PS3 work, he didn't get much further than anybody else before him, so what makes him so sure that he could get to the next level and put out custom firmware soon after the update?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, no-one else had come close to gaining full hypervisor-level access to the processor before his exploit. Who knows if he'll be successful coming up with a software based solution, but I know if I was Sony I wouldn't want him working on it.

[quote name='hpv']i'd like to start a fund to hire a guy to go to wombat's house and smack him in the back of the head next time he starts making annoying noises over the godaddy ad.[/quote]
+1

Love hearing you guys talk crap about Crecente...makes my day! (Although Stephen Tortilla over there at Kotaku is by far a worse writer)

Great show as always guys! Makes my day at work fly by! Even when I get goofy looks for cracking up so hard. What can I say? You guys are hilarious!

I have a suggestion for the show- I know none of you are PC gamers but could you maybe at least go over some of the PC deals in the weekly deals section of the show? You don't need to include a whole segment for PC gaming like you do for MS or Sony, but to at least point out some of the bigger deals would be great as then the PC gamers would also be able to listen in and learn about deals they may have missed on the forums?

Otherwise great show- actually I've been pretty impressed with the consistency of the shows now, I remember in the past there would be times where almost every other time the show was cancelled/delayed but now it's a lot more regular and that's great!

Ruahrc

[quote name='hpv']I'd like to start a fund to hire a guy to go to Wombat's house and smack him in the back of the head next time he starts making annoying noises over the Godaddy ad.[/QUOTE]
I actually believe that Wombat doing that makes the GoDaddy ad even better. I actually believe he continued doing it this week because people had given it a positive response last week.

Cheapy's been sounding more upbeat these past few shows, like he did when I first started listening.

Great show, little heavy on the wang talk though. Didn't hear if Wombat got sick at PAX, seems to be a common concern at that convention.

Oh Wombat, I love how you sing Herb Alpert over the ads. Please to keep singing such classics.

They used to have "extended demos" back in the day.... it was called Shareware... and it sucked. Great show guys. Keep up the good work. I wish you guys could have a new show every day.

I'm with Cheapy on getting sick of seeing those PAX East hoodie codes on my Twitter stream. Who would want that anyway? It's like wearing a souvenir T-shirt for a concert you didn't go to.

I wanted to hear about all the shit talk about Crecente, he always seems to be very snobby. I don't see what was stopping Wombat, it didn't stop him from talking shit about ifanboy when the guy didn't give him the attention he wanted.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']The commercial at the end tickled me. I have a Neo Geo Pocket and never knew you could link the dreamcast to it.[/QUOTE]
I had one as well and actually linked it to the Dreamcast once. The only game I can remember using this feature was King of the Fighters R2 on the NGPC and the KoF game on the Dreamcast (can't remember which one it was), but the feature was pretty neat for the time.

Another CAGcast down though and it was of course a great one, I don't think I have ever listened to the show and not enjoyed it, I've been listening for years too! I can't believe there are only a handful of shows left until the big #200!

Your show was so awesome. I love Wombat Shipwreck and CheapD! I'm waiting for Just Cause 2 in the mail. CAGcast ROCKS! I downloaded that whole NES DarkSide of the Moon remix. It's great.

Hey guys great show, have listened to every show produced, hope you guys do a live show for number 200. I think that would be cool.:)

Wombat, why tease about the Crecente shit talk? Now I really want to know what people said. And what's the plan for episode 200?

Great show as always.

Also, it's interesting how Wombat repeats jokes from the Giant Bombcast.
ie. The Big Ass Ramp™ reference

I really enjoyed listening to the silly conversation about Penis' in the begging. I just heard the Go Daddy advertisement with Wombat's tune. That was hilarious, keep up the great works guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope you guys read some of the messages you received for the April Fool's joke. It was pretty clever. (I don't always sign in when I'm on CAG, and it took me a while before I "found" it (read as: got off my lazy butt and logged in)).

I love how far Wombat has come, too; it seems like just yesterday he was practically begging for games/ industry attention. Now he's hobknobbing with the gaming press at PAX East(well, when he isn't heading to Canada for demos). You know...I think the whole "Xbox Pure" stunt really helped in an odd way...

Hey guys, on the Gamestop lawsuit.

The lawsuit is a mess. It feels like it was written by a lawyer who was having a tough time figuring out how to explain it. It's a class action lawsuit which makes it less heinous and I think they do a reasonable job of making their point, though the "Nature of the Action" is a wreck.

The suit itself really boils down to four things: the box itself, the price and customer trust.
1. The box says something is included, it's not included.
2. The customer trusts GameStop. Trusts that the used game experience is the same as the new, trusts that the clerk would tell them if there was something different.
3. The total price of the game is more than a new game, to get the new game experience.

I'm not sure how on the second point alone they couldn't win, but there's something really powerful in the third point if they realize it. What do GameStop employees say when you bring a new game to the counter? Some variation of "You could get that used for $5 less." You could get THAT [same thing] used for $5 less. That is outright false. I think no matter what GameStop is going to change store policies from here forward, but I think that one sentence would win the class action.

Here's a pdf of the claim from IGN:
http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/document/article/107/1079852/Gamestop.pdf
I'd read it all, or just skip to the "Factual Background" it spells it out pretty clearly.

I wonder how it went down with this guy, to get so ticked off you're gonna sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back