CAGHL 2k7 - League Champion: Thatstoobad (Nashville Predators)

Another loss for Carolina 7-6. The skid continues! Looks like I do need that vacation :)
Me and Sighlintbob got our future game done and I really appreciate that.
Ottawa has taken third place for now.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Another loss for Carolina 7-6. The skid continues! Looks like I do need that vacation :)
Me and Sighlintbob got our future game done and I really appreciate that.
Ottawa has taken third place for now.[/quote]

I warned you about sighlintbob. He's a great player. Always seems to stay under the radar.

[quote name='repetske']I warned you about sighlintbob. He's a great player. Always seems to stay under the radar.[/QUOTE]

Well the problem is I am trying too hard right now. Focusing on more of what I want to do and not focusing on other peoples weaknesses, that and my defense has been attrocious. Also, ask magiic, I can't count how many times my shot has hit the post or my money move has been cut too far and the goalie stops it.

Honestly I don't care how many more I lose at this point as long as I make the playoffs. But damn, I am playing pretty bad right now lol. My non-league games I'm 24-10 with a 7 game winning streak, so practice isn't improving me at all either.

Speaking of underrated, watch out against Ajh. I had my A game against him and I can't understand how he is 7-4, he should be like 9-2 or 10-1.

i just can't score on this game...period...and other people seem to score at will using the 'S' move etc etc...Call me 'livin in the past' but on 2k6 anytime I used or someone else used the 'manual' shot aim it was too easy aka cheap so I don't use it in 2k7 either...seems though everyone is using 'Manual Shot Aim' in 2k7 now...

What are people's thoughts on that? Is manual consider 'cheap' in 2k7 still? or was that just a 2k6 thing....

Just venting as I can't seem to score for sh!t using 'auto'

Auto shot won't get you much anywhere except for maybe one timers and hard slap shots. Most of the games goals I get are infront of the goalie and the s curve here and there but i never perfected/practiced that, i just get the goal infront of the net. There are much worst exploits this time around if you don't have the goalie on manual. I've seen the top tier guys use a move where the goalie always dives to the left, leaving them right open. With right postioning a one timers will go in 90% of the time, but you can see those coming a mile away. I also saw someone effectively use the wraparound and it would always go in, but I never figured that one out.

I've never even considered using auto aim. Most manual aiming is pretty intuitive with the direction you move and where's the fun in letting the computer decide the general direction of your shots. I want games to be as controllable as possible. Also, as far as money and cheap goals go, just about everything in the game is defensible. People just have different weaknesses. I try not to do the same moves over and over, but sometimes people defense almost forces you into it. I played this one guy in the 2k5 league that threatened to stab me (not sure how that was gong to happen) because I refused to skate across the blue line and fire slap shots all day, which he called playing sim.

[quote name='scp89']i just can't score on this game...period...and other people seem to score at will using the 'S' move etc etc...Call me 'livin in the past' but on 2k6 anytime I used or someone else used the 'manual' shot aim it was too easy aka cheap so I don't use it in 2k7 either...seems though everyone is using 'Manual Shot Aim' in 2k7 now...

What are people's thoughts on that? Is manual consider 'cheap' in 2k7 still? or was that just a 2k6 thing....

Just venting as I can't seem to score for sh!t using 'auto'[/QUOTE]
I don't think anyone ever said using manual shot aim was cheap, at least not around here. In theory, it would make more sense to consider auto aim cheap, since you're not relying on yourself to aim the puck. That being said, it's probably more difficult to score using auto aim, simply because I wouldn't trust anything the 2K team programmed to aim the puck where I want to put it.

I'm absolutely horrible doing moves on the goalie (I usually get a good amount breakways per game, but barely ever score on them), so I score most of my goals off of rebounds. If you get your players positioned well, the goals will come, but you can't try to be too perfect with making moves or whatever. Sometimes you just have to send the puck and hope for the best.

Fire superiority...throw more lead on your target than they can throw back at you. At least that's my gameplan. But then I've got one win to my credit and I'm dead last in the league, so take that for what it's worth. I do have manual aim on.

lol this is funny...I'm the only one using 'Auto' aim from what it sounds like...so everyone is fine with using Manual obviously...got it.

by Manual being 'Cheap' I was referring to 2k6...I could score every shot in 2k6 with Manual on...so yeah I consider using it in 2k6 very 'cheap'...I would play online via the 'Lobby' with 2k6 with 'Auto' then someone would be using Manual and winning like 8-2 so I'd turn Manual on and win like 25-12. So IMO Manual on 2k6 was very Cheap...

[quote name='repetske']Sabres fell to Flyers last night 5-4. Great game Cheapy. The Buffalo coach has filed a formal complaint with the league over the delay tactics used to get the mental advantage. ;-) Oh, and check out my new website. www.ihatepeterforsberg.com[/QUOTE]

Now you only need to lose 3-4 more times and we're even. lmao. Nice site.

i've been trying to get something set up with ajh to get our game in. he sent me a message about playing and since then he hasn't replied to mine yet. hopefully we'll be able to squeeze it in before deadline.

[quote name='sighlintbob']i've been trying to get something set up with ajh to get our game in. he sent me a message about playing and since then he hasn't replied to mine yet. hopefully we'll be able to squeeze it in before deadline.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sorry my son is on 3 hockey teams and there all in the playoffs so I been running around all week. I should be around all day today after 5:00 pm est so I should be able to play anytime after that just PM me when your on.

Here's the update for the next week:

LEAGUE SITE: http://online.2ksports.com/league/?p=360&l=65642
(track your stats, make trades and stuff)

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SEND YOUR OPPONENT A PM! if you are having problems communicating with the person you play against, or can't get a game time scheduled, please post in the thread or send me a PM about it. i think posting in the thread is better, since that gives the other person a chance to see it.

WEEK THIRTEEN:

PLAY BY DATE: 04/21 (you have THROUGH that day to play your game)

Atlanta 7, Carolina 6
Nashville @ Colorado
Calgary @ Columbus
Buffalo @ Pittsburgh
Anaheim @ Chicago
St. Louis @ Philadelphia
Washington @ Ottawa

Player List (XBL names are in parentheses):
Anaheim Ducks - scp89 (PrineTime 360)
Atlanta Thrashers - sighlintbob (Shadowcat)
Buffalo Sabres - repetske (Silencer)
Calgary Flames - rscaramelo (nerevfan)
Carolina Hurricanes - monsta mack (Jagr69)
Chicago Blackhawks - flybrione (BigMes)
Colorado Avalanche - stevemcq (SteveMcQ)
Columbus Blue Jackets - magiic (blackmagiic)
Nashville Predators - thatstoobad (AccordionWolf)
Ottawa Senators - amicus - (Amicus33)
Philadelphia Flyers - cheapyd (CheapyD)
Pittsburgh Penguins - ajh2298 (ajh2298)
St. Louis Blues - msuhitman (MSUHitman)
Washington Capitals - iceburgh (The IceBurgh)

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Shit...someone get the lube. This isn't going to be pretty.[/QUOTE]
I sent you a PM about setting up a time, so check that out.

I give up.

Nashville 4
Colorado 0

I've got games left with the following teams:

Carolina
Ottawa
St. Louis
Anaheim
Washington

So if those guys could PM me so I can get this season over with, I'd appreciate it. I'd take the time to PM you all myself, but I'm in complete disgust with how much I suck at this game and even another second lingering in this thread...screw it. Just PM me.

i just played my game with steve.

but i'm just curious. with all the playoffs going on, i want to get to the playoffs for the league. would people be in favor of trying to speed up the rest of the season? perhaps 2/week? Since we can play out of order, it doesn't really matter which game you play first.

[quote name='amicus']i just played my game with steve.[/quote]
Colorado 3
Ottawa 4

But then the result was a given. :lol:

[quote name='amicus']i just played my game with steve.

but i'm just curious. with all the playoffs going on, i want to get to the playoffs for the league. would people be in favor of trying to speed up the rest of the season? perhaps 2/week? Since we can play out of order, it doesn't really matter which game you play first.[/QUOTE]

Well as soon as I get back from vacation, we'll be playing and me and Steve. The league creator and OP has always stated he doesn't care if people get their games done earlier. We are awfully close to the playoffs and hockey playoffs aren't too far from being finished, so I'm willing to get things done asap knowing I wont be touching NHL2k again till the next game is out in September, in which I'm sure BigMes will surely make another league for. My money is going towards NHL2k8 after the NHL07 hype weared off for most people.

Edit: I'm still on vacation. My gamertag might pop on Live, but I am currently just showing my friend my games at his place in Maine. I didn't bring NHL2k7 unfortunately.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']
Colorado 3
Ottawa 4

But then the result was a given. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's still pretty close. At my rate you may beat me next week.

Yeah, if you guys want to start playing your upcoming games early, go for it. I wasn't sure what would happen when trying to advance the schedule, but now that I've seen it won't make the internet explode, it's cool with me.

I play Chicago, Columbus, Atlanta, Ottawa, and Pittsburgh in the coming weeks, so if any of you want to get a game done early, let me know with a PM and we'll schedule a time.

That being said, I don't think it would be fair to require people to play more than one game per week, since that's not what we agreed upon when we started. But if you can and want to, by all means do it.

And SteveMcQ didn't play that bad in our game at all. He just didn't get any breaks, where I got a few in the third.

[quote name='thatstoobad']
And SteveMcQ didn't play that bad in our game at all. He just didn't get any breaks, where I got a few in the third.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you really can't take this game to heart. Unless you abuse loopholes and glitches, chances are you record will never be consistant in this game. I've played the 2k series since the day it was available for the XBox, and scoring 10+ goals every game was never a possibility with me. Look at my last few games, I thought for sure I would easily be able to grasp 3rd place by seasons end, but now if my streak continues I actually have a chance of NOT making the playoffs at all!

Hehe...actually I find it quite amusing how bad I am. I did get quite a few breaks defensively in our game thatstoobad. A few of your shots hit the crossbar. Perhaps if I concentrated more instead of watched the news while I played, I'd score one goal. Hah.

I think I've found one of the many flaws I have though. On breakaways, I don't use the deke stick. I got a few breakaway goals that way against Ottawa. I can skate past a defender or two to get to the net, but once I'm there, I'm done. I'd conditioned myself to ignore the stick after messing things up having played NHL 07 every once in a while.

i'd love to play all my games in advance, but theres no point unless everyone does it. having sat for 2 weeks once this season, i was pretty rusty the following week.

Great game between CheapyD and myself. Cheapy won 3-2. He scored goals within 15 seconds of my two goals to get the 1 goal victory.

Stupid game had a glitch with 15 seconds left. Just before I had hit my patented 1-timer with Guerin off the faceoff move and Cheapy's goalie had to dive to prevent the goal and the puck went over the glass. When the next faceoff occurred (I still had the goalie pulled,) all of my guys were on the other end of the rink and Cheapy got to take the face off against no one.

All the games got played, so I advanced the schedule early. Here's the update for this week:

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SEND YOUR OPPONENT A PM! if you are having problems communicating with the person you play against, or can't get a game time scheduled, please post in the thread or send me a PM about it. i think posting in the thread is better, since that gives the other person a chance to see it.

WEEK FOURTEEN:

PLAY BY DATE: 04/27 (you have THROUGH that day to play your game)

Chicago @ Nashville
Ottawa @ St. Louis
Colorado @ Carolina
Anaheim @ Atlanta
Calgary @ Philadelphia
Buffalo @ Washington
Pittsburgh @ Columbus

It's been a few days without a post in the thread, so I'm just trying to keep this on the front page.

St. Louis picked up a big win over Ottawa, but that's the only game that's been played thus far.

[quote name='thatstoobad']It's been a few days without a post in the thread, so I'm just trying to keep this on the front page.

St. Louis picked up a big win over Ottawa, but that's the only game that's been played thus far.[/QUOTE]

Carolina puts It's losing streak on the line versus a team that has also had a rather long losing streak. But fate is on Coloroda's side tonight as Carolina is more rusty then ever, has teammates from bus sickness after their long road trips from their recent "vacation". Carolina looks to need two sure victories before the season ends to make the playoffs, and Ottawa still holds third place after Carolina's collapse. Will the Canadians... I mean, Avalanche fall to Carolina tonight? Or will Carolina's goaltending and post woes continue? Tune in later.

Edit: That's Toobad are you going to be hosting another league in September when 2k8 is out? If so, I pick New York Rangers this time. Seeing as how the guy who picked them, ahem, left and was inactive.

Got my game done with SteveMcQ and Silencer. Good game to the both of you... the fight for third place has been reheated now the Carolina actually won two games, breaking my three game skid. I might get my others games done in advance but I haven't decided yet, if anyone is they can just pm me and we'll play.

Flybrione and I played our game this evening. It was tied 1-1 in the third, and all of a sudden the game dropped, so we had to restart (lucky it was tied). This ended up working in my favor, as I was getting served in the first game, but I got a bunch of breaks in the second game. Sorry to Flybrione, as I had a feeling he was going to win the first game, but there was no real other option than replaying it since it was tied.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Edit: That's Toobad are you going to be hosting another league in September when 2k8 is out? If so, I pick New York Rangers this time. Seeing as how the guy who picked them, ahem, left and was inactive.[/QUOTE]
We'll probably do this again, sure. I think it may be a tad early to call teams now, but I can't imagine it'll be a problem. Maybe we could have a summer tournament or something. We can figure that out after the season's over, I guess.

[quote name='thatstoobad']Flybrione and I played our game this evening. It was tied 1-1 in the third, and all of a sudden the game dropped, so we had to restart (lucky it was tied). This ended up working in my favor, as I was getting served in the first game, but I got a bunch of breaks in the second game. Sorry to Flybrione, as I had a feeling he was going to win the first game, but there was no real other option than replaying it since it was tied.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I almost thought I was going to beat you and kill the undefeated streak and bam . . .
Dirty Disc Error :bomb:.

I have not got one of these in two months with the game. I was playing one of the best games of my life. I knew right away that when I had to restart I was going to loose. I can't keep you down. Nice game.

*cross check* Bumpage.

One more game to be played before we can advance the week.

If Cheapy and the others keep playing well the fight for third place might be more tight then it looks! Everyones neck and neck, and the last 3-4 games of the season are going to be grueling for those that are trying to take silver and bronze, or even forth and five place. Hell look how tight the race is for the final playoff birth! Three have twelves points and Atlanta and Calgary aren't finished just yet.

is theres any reason to advance the schedule? just post the the next week schedule. and have their game pending.

but at the end of the season. coin flip any games that haven't played. most people have been pretty good about getting their games in.

we were supposed to play the last 2 nites but he was a no show...he msgd me that hes been busy...and I pm'd him back asking to play today...but no word as of yet...

[quote name='amicus']is theres any reason to advance the schedule? just post the the next week schedule. and have their game pending.

but at the end of the season. coin flip any games that haven't played. most people have been pretty good about getting their games in.[/QUOTE]
That makes sense, although I like the deadline to get your games in, since I think it gives people a little more motivation to get their one game per week done. I don't think I would have been too keen on the idea earlier in the season, but with only four weeks left, I don't think it will be a problem so we may as well go with it.

So, scp89 and sighlintbob, you guys will have some more time to get your game in. If it's not done by the end of the season, I'll simulate it then.

WEEK FIFTEEN:

PLAY BY DATE: 05/05 (you have THROUGH that day to play your game)

Carolina 4, Buffalo 3
Ottawa 4, Colorado 3
Nashville @ Columbus
Calgary @ Atlanta
Anaheim @ Philadelphia
Washington @ Chicago
St. Louis @ Pittsburgh

GAMES THAT STILL MUST BE COMPLETED:
Anaheim @ Atlanta

Just an FYI am am going on a business trip the first week of May and will not be back until May 9th. I am going to try to get this game in tomorrow or Tuesday and I will contact my next player once I get back. thanks

[quote name='flybrione']Just an FYI am am going on a business trip the first week of May and will not be back until May 9th. I am going to try to get this game in tomorrow or Tuesday and I will contact my next player once I get back. thanks[/QUOTE]

I'm can play later tonight if you are around.

well that was pretty lame, actually managed to hold my ground (scoreless game and evenly matched stats) for almost two periods only to have the game freeze and then be have to start again and be down 3 or 4 nothing in the first. Oh well hopefully I have better luck next time I guess

[quote name='magiic']well that was pretty lame, actually managed to hold my ground (scoreless game and evenly matched stats) for almost two periods only to have the game freeze and then be have to start again and be down 3 or 4 nothing in the first. Oh well hopefully I have better luck next time I guess[/QUOTE]
For anyone wondering, the game stuck before a faceoff. the players just stood around, and we could switch around players, but couldn't do anything else, not even pause it. I've had that error happen a few times when playing random people online, but haven't had it happen yet in the league. It's things like these errors that really frustrate me with the 2k developers.

This was pretty similar to what happened with my games against Flybrione last week. The first try was really even, with neither person getting much of a break, but with the second try I got all of the breaks. My apologies go to magiic, as you pretty much got the raw deal on this one.

I got my game in with Iceburgh the other day and won 1-0 in a shotout.
FYI . . . I will be leaving town on Thursday and be back on Wednesday May 9th.

bread's done
Back