Call of Duty: World at War - Gen. Disc. & Info

[quote name='metalgearray']
But if nothing else, I'd like to see Cliffside Night, Seelow Night, and a version of Downfall before the war (intact buildings, sun shining, blue skies, green grass and trees). I'd even pay for those.[/quote]

If Seelow is that big map set in farmland with the elevated train tracks in the middle then I agree that would be sweet as a night map.

I would like totally new maps. Like I said I do not want any developer to sit around making small tweaks to maps already in the game. Whats the point when you can be making totally new and better maps.

Why would you want a night time seelow (that map blows ass anyway..they should take it out) when they could make a totally new night time map that isnt 80% tall grass.

I for one dont want the trend to be, "Hey instead of actually making new and good maps....these dolts will buy a night time version of a map we already have."

Daytime Makin is worthless.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Daytime Makin isn't all that lit up. It is a little more sunny out but I would say the Makin map has the lighting effect of dawn when the sun just comes out.

The map isn't really day time like "courtyard", "outskirts", and the other day time maps but it is a little "lighter" than nighttime Makin.

I'm really enjoying the game. I won't say if it is better than COD4 because I haven't played COD4 in a long time so it would be unfair to compare but, I do enjoy tanks and dogs immensely.[/QUOTE]

COD 4 is way better, although World at War is still a good B/B+ game, and Makin day seems completely lit up, not dark at all, and the regular Makin map is way better.

I guess the one thing that really gets me about this game is the fact that all of the guns feel exactly the same. COD4 at least felt like you could make 10-15 completely different set ups all with their own personalities.

A BA rifle is a BA rifle the only thing that slightly differs is the damage and fire rate which really means nothing when the damage is so fucked up that you are forced to use Perks/scopes to make them worth while anyway.

All of the rifles feel about the same....and the only real sub thats worth a damn is the almighty mp40.

I most likely made 10-15 completely separate set ups in COD4 that where still effective. Where as in WaW it seems like I am pigeon held into the same setup as everyone else.

[quote name='destinywaste']How does one get the Grenade Launcher? Is it a perk or does it unlock after a certain level?[/quote]
You get it after 150 kills with certain guns.

Demo: Call of Duty: World at War (Single Player and Co-op)

Content:Call of Duty: World at War – Demo
Price: Free
Availability: Not available in Japan
Dash Text: [ESRB: M (Mature) BLOOD AND GORE,INTENSE VIOLENCE,STRONG LANGUAGE] Download the Call of Duty: World at War Demo to experience the intensity and brutality of war like never before. This demo showcases the campaign mission “Hard Landing”, which is available for single player and online cooperative play for up to four players. Unleash the power of the flamethrower, flame tanks, and other lethal weaponry while battling through the most harrowing campaigns in the Pacific and Europe. For the first time ever in Call of Duty, play Co-Op with up to 4 players on Xbox LIVE.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/games/m...24156081c?cid=MajorNelson&partner=MajorNelson

[quote name='destinywaste']How does one get the Grenade Launcher? Is it a perk or does it unlock after a certain level?[/quote]

[quote name='life.exe']You get it after 150 kills with certain guns.[/quote]

AND it takes up your Perk 1 slot.

I really hope they let people just download the Zombie map by itself and not have to spend 800 points on 3 other maps they'll never play...it won't happen though.

Seems like there's going to be another round of Double XP but this time for a week!
On the 360 dashboard under Events, it mentions COD: WaW having it from March 19th to 25th.

[quote name='CBolts']Seems like there's going to be another round of Double XP but this time for a week!
On the 360 dashboard under Events, it mentions COD: WaW having it from March 19th to 25th.[/quote]

Well that would make sense since the maps come out that day.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Ok, aside from Zombies, what else is in Map Pack 1[/QUOTE]

There are three multiplayer maps as well:

[quote name='"Joystiq"']
  • In "Nightfire," players take to the streets of a war-ravaged Berlin with only the flames of the burning city to expose the enemy.
  • "Station" offers a bombed out underground train station littered with hidden passageways and destroyed subway cars.
  • "Knee Deep" takes place on the island of Peleliu in a once tranquil village turned chaotic Japanese command center.
[/quote]
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/10/call-of-duty-world-at-war-map-pack-coming-in-march/

Although that was a damn good trailer. (As in cut together well and exciting to watch) I guess I am one of the few that doesnt care about the zombie mode. Played it a couple times....wasnt that impressive to me. I have L4D for all my zombie needs.

What I am looking for is the 3 maps to be actually different from the other settings and....you know...good. I have been on the fence about trading this in for a really long time and maybe if the maps are up to snuff I will keep it.

I think its going to be worth it, alot of map packs these days are 800 points for three maps. We're getting three and a whole new zombie map too.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Although that was a damn good trailer. (As in cut together well and exciting to watch) I guess I am one of the few that doesnt care about the zombie mode. Played it a couple times....wasnt that impressive to me. I have L4D for all my zombie needs.

What I am looking for is the 3 maps to be actually different from the other settings and....you know...good. I have been on the fence about trading this in for a really long time and maybe if the maps are up to snuff I will keep it.[/quote]

Yeah, Zombies is ok, but there are better Zombie games. I hope the multiplayer maps are good, it doesn't sound like any are big enough to have tanks (thank God) but I guess only time will tell. Unlike COD4 where the only map I don't really like is Bloc, World at War has a much bigger handful of multiplayer maps that I don't like. Here's hoping the new maps are great!

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']Yit doesn't sound like any are big enough to have tanks (thank God) but I guess only time will tell. [/quote]

I like the tanks and would like to see more vehicles. Much like 1942.

Are your multiplayer stats saved locally or online? My hard-drive got an E 79 error earlier today..will i have to start all over again?

They are saved online... Either way, just don't send in your hard drive. (I am assuming E79 has nothing to do with HDD. I kind of got lost on what codes mean)

Single player is pretty much a straight up shooter. Online multiplayer it helps to have communication.

Also, there is a demo up online Jintty.

I just picked this up and havent played single yet, online it says zombies are unlocked for all. How do you play zombies? Can you play by yourself? I played with a friend in split screen a few days ago on his box, dont know how to get it going now.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']I just picked this up and havent played single yet, online it says zombies are unlocked for all. How do you play zombies? Can you play by yourself? I played with a friend in split screen a few days ago on his box, dont know how to get it going now.[/QUOTE]

You have to finish the campaign to get single player zombies, its only unlocked for everybody online

[quote name='BL00DW0LF']You have to finish the campaign to get single player zombies, its only unlocked for everybody online[/QUOTE]

Oh, how do you play online? Dont think I saw it in the search, must be custom games only?

So who will be first to jump on the map and tell the rest of us about it?

I for one really dont care about zombies, I am looking for quality in the actually maps....if not..I am going back to COD4.

I already have my points ready for the map pack, kept checking to see if they'd be up at 2am but nope. I'll get them when I get home but I probably won't get to play 'em until tonight. New maps, double XP... it's on!

Hey fellow CAGS,

I was wondering if anyone was noticing some changes to the online modes of the game. I have noticed that in recent games when i die i tend to re spawn right near the enemies. I also noticed that there is a slight more lag and the responsiveness when shooting isn't the same as it was before. I just wanted to know your thoughts.

Thanks,
gongshowhky11

I just spent awhile exploring all the maps by myself in a private match lobby. Here goes the impressions.

Pros:
NO TANKS! :applause:

Cons:
All the maps are in the medium to large size range. I was really hoping for another smaller map.

And for the individual map impressions.

Station:
Bigger than it seems at first. The map is symmetrical and either team spawns at one end of the collapsing subway tunnel. The main tunnel itself is fairly wide open and there's a large hill in the center where the street above has given way and collapsed into the tunnel. Off to either side there's a maze of corridors with many many corners that I could see becoming really campy.

Knee Deep:
Probably my favorite of the bunch. The map is a mix of a bombed out Japanese fortress and a marshland village. It's overcast and on the verge of storming and every once and awhile you'll hear a rumble of thunder in the background for a nice added touch. On the ground everything is fairly chaotic and there aren't many clear lines of sight for any particularly long distance. Once I eventually worked my way into some of the buildings I realized that most have second floors and provide amazing vantages for sniping. The map itself felt a bit too large, but I could see all the fighting concentrating in smaller areas with the perimeter being largely ignored.

Nightfire:
Definitely the least interesting of all the maps. Other than being at night and most of the level being on fire (imagine that!) it wasn't particularly engaging. Pretty much just a bunch of burning buildings and a few streets joining them. Great lines of sight though since it's pretty much noting but straight streets and alleyways. It'll make for some straightforward team deathmatch.

I didn't get a chance to really experience the Nazi Zombie map since none of my friends are on yet. I made it to level 4 by myself, but couldn't figure out how to turn the power on to mess with all the new things they added. The level itself looks pretty cool. You start in front of where the bathrooms are and the zombies spawn in the open center courtyard. It looks like you'll eventually be able to open up the entire building to roam around in.

[quote name='xcoax']I just spent awhile exploring all the maps by myself in a private match lobby. Here goes the impressions.....

I didn't get a chance to really experience the Nazi Zombie map since none of my friends are on yet. I made it to level 4 by myself, but couldn't figure out how to turn the power on to mess with all the new things they added. The level itself looks pretty cool. You start in front of where the bathrooms are and the zombies spawn in the open center courtyard. It looks like you'll eventually be able to open up the entire building to roam around in.[/quote]

Nice summary and I look forward to some non-L4D zombie killing with ya along with the normal TDM killing on the new maps :D

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Oh, how do you play online? Dont think I saw it in the search, must be custom games only?[/QUOTE]

It's actually under Cooperative in the main menu, as opposed to the regular multiplayer playlists.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

II am looking for quality in the actually maps....if not..I am going back to COD4.[/quote]

don't you say this once a week?

I think after playing all the new maps for a few hours now a good one word summary would be frustrating. Knee Deep has initially turned into Japanese team camps the fortress and I can't seem to get a decent match on Station with decent teammates. Nightfire thus far has been the only enjoyable experience.

The new Nazi Zombie map is way more complex than the previous offering. It seems like it's also a great deal harder too. We only made it to I think level 9 in our three tries.

Overall, I'm sure soodmeg is going to complain about the quality. ;)

[quote name='kevlar51']don't you say this once a week?[/quote]

I have said it twice, dont trip. My point was, that I was waiting until the maps came out, give them a try and then decide.

[quote name='xcoax']I think after playing all the new maps for a few hours now a good one word summary would be frustrating. Knee Deep has initially turned into Japanese team camps the fortress and I can't seem to get a decent match on Station with decent teammates. Nightfire thus far has been the only enjoyable experience.

The new Nazi Zombie map is way more complex than the previous offering. It seems like it's also a great deal harder too. We only made it to I think level 9 in our three tries.

Overall, I'm sure soodmeg is going to complain about the quality. ;)[/quote]

:lol: Hey, I give props where they are do but if its not up to snuff I will rip it. I thinks that is fair with how much we drop on games.

I actually checked out the Gametrailers previews of them and thought they looked pretty good. So lets see if it proves me wrong.

If I can even download the damn thing....I am having trouble because I added points via credit card and got a prompt that said it added points to my account yet I I still only have like 120.

Downloaded the maps last night and played for about 2.5 hours without any of the new maps coming into the rotation. Pretty frustrating. Confirmed the download and even played one round of the new Zombie level, so I know the content is there, or should be. All games were either Hardcore Team Deathmatch or War. These do translate over to Hardcore right? I am prepared to delete and re-download if necessary, but would prefer not to. Any suggestions?

Did you select the map pack playlist? When you first go to select a gametype where there's the usual option of core and hardcore, but there's now a third option called map pack or something like that where you play nothing but the new maps.

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing at first.

If I remember correctly in COD4, the Maps were not added to the normal playlist until about a week after they were out. Chances are most people playing core right now don't have them so even if they did come up they would get skipped. Also, I believe that in COD4 new maps wouldn't come up if someone in the room didn't have them.

Right now you have to select the map pack game room to get the new maps. Only the 3 new maps will come up. THEY WILL NOT SHOW IN THE STANDARD ROOMS EVEN IF EVERYONE HAS THE MAPS. Like MVP and Heart said, they will be put in the regular rotation sometime in the next few weeks.

When you get a party together before you launch into a room, you will get the old red message saying the map pack is disabled because X doesn't have it.

Just picked this up today. I'm hoping I get at least as much enjoyment out of it as I did with 4. The price ($29.99) certainly was right.

bread's done
Back