Chatot used RPG Thread VIII! It's super effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='BattleChicken']Fun Fact: Torchlight was made by former Blizzard North staff; many of which were involved with the Diablo series.[/QUOTE]
Yep. It's got some of that Blizzard feel for a reason ;)

[quote name='icebeast']But, I think I just didn't really find any of the characters in Star Ocean 1 very interesting.[/QUOTE]

You're right to think that. None of them ever get any more interesting. The characters barely interact with each other. My favorit character is probably T'Nique, but he's got such a minor role that he's never involved in the story. He's also a blatant Ranma rip off:

T%27nique_Arcana_FD.png

Just beat Torchlight. It was decent enough :) Just the right length, too. I would like more sub-20 hour RPGs.

Not quite ready to go back to Pokemon yet. Pretty much all I have left to do is to get the eighth badge and beat the Elite Four, so I'm in no huge rush. May start Rune Factory 3 before beating Platinum after all.

Rodimus: Holy shit. The character really looks like that?

lol, didn't realize at the time I played SO2 that things were missable. The internet/faqs/guides have made RPGs harder for me to play, because now I'm worried I'll miss things (which before I never would have known were there in the first place). Tales games especially. You can go back to a previous town after every event and have nothing change, but only one time, seemingly at random, you can go back to start a sidequest. IDK how FAQ writers do it...

[quote name='blueshinra']Rodimus: Holy shit. The character really looks like that?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's pretty crazy. Another weird thing is he turns into a warewolf when fighting.

At the
part where the ufo makes it back to earth and you have to go into the minimizer to fix humanity's DNA (WTf!)
in Away Shuffle Dungeon.

Why have I put so much time and frustration into such a average game? It's also really odd playing through a game w/o using a FAQ at all. Haven't done that for years.

I'm at the last boss of Trinity universe and one of his attacks practically kills all my characters at once. I must be under-leveled. The standard enemies in the dungeon are a pretty big challenge too.

What level should I be to beat the last boss?

Started Magna Carta 2. I can see what people mean when they say it's a "filler" RPG to play while your waiting for something major to come out. Pretty cliche story. Battle mechanics are interesting. I wish they would have had a more traditional, turn based battle system.

[quote name='2DMention']Started Magna Carta 2. I can see what people mean when they say it's a "filler" RPG to play while your waiting for something major to come out. Pretty cliche story. Battle mechanics are interesting. I wish they would have had a more traditional, turn based battle system.[/QUOTE]

Little tip. If you want to max out a "weapon path" only put points into one. You don't have enough points to max out both. (and if you want the achievements, you have to sit on your points until you have enough to max a path, then do it, reload and do the other)

Yeah Magna Carta 2 was a pretty decent game. I'd have to say that enjoyed a little bit more than FF XIII at least.

About 25 hours into Valkyria Chronicles 2. Pretty solid game so far

Someone said that it took them 36 hours to beat magna carta 2 with all the quests. What if you just blow through the main story? How long is it?

All this talk about the Tales series made me go out and by Vesperia again for $15. My goal is to earn more points so when I start a new game + I'll be a badass.

[quote name='2DMention']Someone said that it took them 36 hours to beat magna carta 2 with all the quests. What if you just blow through the main story? How long is it?[/QUOTE]

Beats me. I'm the one who said it took 36 hours for all the quests, lol. I did everything there is to do in it. (including not buying a single new combat ability until level 55 or so, so I could get all the achievements)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Beats me. I'm the one who said it took 36 hours for all the quests, lol. I did everything there is to do in it. (including not buying a single new combat ability until level 55 or so, so I could get all the achievements)[/QUOTE]

Are the achievements hard to 100%? Don't really have access to youtube and stuff out here, by the way. x:

It's actually pretty easy for the most part. Just the weapon specialization achievements where you need to do Hell Monkey's method.

The mutli-member party chains seem like they explained them too complicated. They could have saved a lot of time and made it easier by just saying "When one character is using their X button super, switch to another person and use their X button super." LoL

[quote name='62t']video of Tales of Graces F demo with English patch. You can try it out if you got a jailbreak Ps3[/QUOTE]

Why does Namco hate us so much? :(

[quote name='voltanis99']About 25 hours into Valkyria Chronicles 2. Pretty solid game so far[/QUOTE]are u doing any farming or grinding in that game??

I made it all the way up to July before setting the game aside to play BBS,

and I have yet to upgrade a single character's class... but thus far I am pretty consistent in getting A's on all my stages,

and in the stages that I dont it's always an issue of not taking a better strategy as opposed to being more over powered.

Goddammit. Nintendo has apparently removed Monado from their games list, which means even less chance we'll get Xenoblade.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']So I have Y's Seven on the way and want to hit up the rest of the series.

I know Y's I and II is coming out on PSP next year. Right now also there is the Ark and the Oath ones. Oath is PSP, and Ark should I get on PS2 or PSP?[/QUOTE]While I tend to support PSP versions, I'd go for PS2 because of less loading and voice-acting.

[quote name='pete5883']Goddammit. Nintendo has apparently removed Monado from their games list, which means even less chance we'll get Xenoblade.[/QUOTE]That sucks, because I really want XenoBlade.

[quote name='62t']video of Tales of Graces F demo with English patch. You can try it out if you got a jailbreak Ps3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEB98GnFKs8[/QUOTE]I have ToG F Asia import now. Will start it sometime.

Started Star Ocean 3 today. At first didn't really like it, but I just picked up Nel and it's starting to grow on me. Only issue I have is in combat, the targeting seems a bit off and my character wiffs a bit more than I would like. I think I've been spoiled by the similar, but imho superior, combat of the Tales games.

Edit: I don't think I can take much more. 11 hrs in, and nothing really exciting has happened. Talk about a slow burn. Prolly just gonna youtube the rest... sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing Magna Carta quite a bit, and it took awhile to get used to the battle system. It's easy to overheat. It's not like we're driving cars or anything.

Game seems pretty easy so far.

I'm almost done with FFXIII and it's not bad.

I also started the second Star Ocean on PSP and it seems exactly like the first one. Admittedly, I only got about an hour into the first one. So what makes the second one so much better?

My friends and I are doing a three player run through Tales of Symphonia on the GC. We're about halfway through the game - just gained the Volt summon. Overall the game is quite enjoyable and we're looking forward to playing Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. The reviews haven't been too hot though so perhaps we should look into something else?

Thoughts? We're also considering playing through Mother 3 (patched), Ar Tonelico, or Digital Devil Saga.

Dawn of the New World isn't terrible. It certainly isn't great, but I beat it and didn't wish for my time back. DDS is just a mindless grinder; DDS2 had some hints of a good story but by the end I pretty much hated the series.

I beat Ar Tonelico a long time ago. It was all right, I guess. I do remember one part in that game where one of the girls you "date" was, for some reason, trapped in her 8-year-old body, if that makes a difference either way.

It's been about 8 years since I beat Star Ocean 2 but I remember enjoying it. Looking back it probably didn't age well. It's still extremely cliched but not as one-demensional as the first. Besides the two main characters everyone else takes a backseat to the story outside their initial recruitment story. The battle system is shallow with little strategy, but sorta engaging. And if the PSP remake is anything like the PS1 version you will have to grind a bit. The best thing about Star Ocean 2 is the music. I don't own a lot of game soundtracks but I do have this one. The credits theme is my favorite.

The first Symphonia was such a great game but DotNW takes gigantic dump on it's legacy. The game is horrible. From what you listed I would recommend DDS, if you don't mind grinding. Fortunately the battle system is simple yet addicting. If you've played Nocturne or the Persona series then expect the same kinda thing.

Ar Tonelico isn't a bad game but it wasn't my cup of tea. It's a game made for the lonely JRPG nerd who fantasizes about having sex with anime girls. I found it pathetic.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's been about 8 years since I beat Star Ocean 2 but I remember enjoying it. Looking back it probably didn't age well. It's still extremely cliched but not as one-demensional as the first. Besides the two main characters everyone else takes a backseat to the story outside their initial recruitment story. The battle system is shallow with little strategy, but sorta engaging. And if the PSP remake is anything like the PS1 version you will have to grind a bit. The best thing about Star Ocean 2 is the music. I don't own a lot of game soundtracks but I do have this one. The credits theme is my favorite.

The first Symphonia was such a great game but DotNW takes gigantic dump on it's legacy. The game is horrible. From what you listed I would recommend DDS, if you don't mind grinding. Fortunately the battle system is simple yet addicting. If you've played Nocturne or the Persona series then expect the same kinda thing.

Ar Tonelico isn't a bad game but it wasn't my cup of tea. It's a game made for the lonely JRPG nerd who fantasizes about having sex with anime girls. I found it pathetic.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='depascal22']I'm almost done with FFXIII and it's not bad.

I also started the second Star Ocean on PSP and it seems exactly like the first one. Admittedly, I only got about an hour into the first one. So what makes the second one so much better?[/QUOTE]

Lol @ the Ar Tonelico comment. I agree. I only played about 1/2 way through the 2nd one and got stuck and quit.

I think Star Ocean 2 is rose-tinted glasses. It was great at the time, but after playing the 1st one, they're both pretty identical. Gameplay is extremely similar. the story in 2 was excellent though.

Ar Tonelico has from what I remember a very repetitive and boring battle system involving using your front 1-2 characters as meat shields while your mage powers up and drops nukes on your opponent. The story is happy and light with a focus on silly sim-dates. On the plus side the game is very colorful, the voice actors won't make you gouge your eyes out and the length is decent but not too horribly long.

Digital Devil is a good but long grind that was intended to pull you in so that you play the sequel which isn't anywhere near as good.

lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2OphLOJoaQ

anyway I been playing this Birth By Sleep game.

what a terrible, horrible game it is...

janky unresponsive combat that rewards turtling and punishes any type of aggression...

and a stupid story with characters dumber than FF13.

I wanna go back to playing Valkyria 2 coz that game is fun as hellz.

[quote name='JEKKI']
I wanna go back to playing Valkyria 2 coz that game is fun as hellz.[/QUOTE]

I'm in August right now. Not quite as good as the first, but I'm still thinking GotY 2010. On a handheld! For shame, consoles. For shame.

[quote name='default_shepard']For shame, consoles. For shame.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. My personal game of the year is also on a handheld: Dragon Quest IX.

The funny thing is that writers and posters on Kotaku and Destructoid are railing against this while holding up FF6 as some untouched Holy Grail. Don't they realize it's been re-released on PS1 (FF Anthology) and GBA already?

[quote name='Zmonkay']Oh c'mon now! It's a good game, but where's FFV and especially FFVI being remade! When they did III and IV I was hoping they'd continue :([/QUOTE]

Didn't SE say something about tryign to make V and VI for DS but had some"technical issues". I'd guess this is what we're about to get IV, V, and VI on the PSP at some points going forward.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Didn't SE say something about tryign to make V and VI for DS but had some"technical issues". I'd guess this is what we're about to get IV, V, and VI on the PSP at some points going forward.[/QUOTE]

My guess is the "technical issue" was mostly the release of the 3DS, i.e. they knew about it in advance of the public announcement and saw it as pointless to work on a project for the DS that wouldn't be done before new hardware was out meaning they should have made it for the 3DS. I'd guess we will see a remake of FF V and VI at some point though, probably for 3DS or (maybe) whatever will follow the PSP.

[quote name='depascal22']The funny thing is that writers and posters on Kotaku and Destructoid are railing against this while holding up FF6 as some untouched Holy Grail. Don't they realize it's been re-released on PS1 (FF Anthology) and GBA already?[/QUOTE]

But those were more or less ports with a few bells & whistles added, not exactly remakes.

I recently started Fallout 3 and am approaching 40 hours I would say - and I am loving this game.

There is just so much to do, the area is nice and big - lots of fun side quests (enjoying side quests more than the little bit of the story I have touched).

Playing this game makes me want to put Oblivion near the top of my backlog order so that I can play it before ES5 comes out next year - but we will see.

I really wish I didn't put this game off as long as I did - it is truly a great game!

[quote name='Rodimus']But those were more or less ports with a few bells & whistles added, not exactly remakes.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. FFIV has the same exact ports except for one on the DS and some upcoming one on the PSP and people seem to be practically moaning that Square Enix is just absolute garbage. Their drum just beats for the FFVII remake that's never coming. Never mind that IV comes before VI and every game will get their DS/PSP remake when the time comes.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, I've given up with the idea of a FFVII remake. I expect Shenmue 3 to be announced before that.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to never see Shenmue 3. Then I'd have to get a power cable for my DC, another copy of Shenmue, and another copy of Shenmue 2 for whatever it'd work on that I have. It'd just be to much trouble. Down with Shenmue!!!

[quote name='Rodimus']Why would you need all that just for a third installment of Shenmue?[/QUOTE]

Well I'd have to replay the first two of course. (this is another thing that kills my backlog. I'l replay series if there is either 1.) a large gap between the sequels or 2.) I really like it. Like ME3 will cause replays of ME1 and 2 just before it comes out)

^ It only covers the first game but couldn't you just settle for Shenmue: The Movie? Surprisingly the Shenmue games are all very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back