Chatot used RPG Thread VIII! It's super effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rodimus']^ It only covers the first game but couldn't you just settle for Shenmue: The Movie? Surprisingly the Shenmue games are all very cheap.[/QUOTE]

OCD Cat says no...we can't settle. We gots to play and play and play and get everything when we do play.

2244601899_4d7fbf4060.jpg
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281379

[quote name='Hell Monkey']OCD Cat says no...we can't settle. We gots to play and play and play and get everything when we do play.[/QUOTE]

I used to do this when I was younger and had oodles of time. I always go into games intending to do 100% but reach my breaking point about half way through.

[quote name='Rodimus']I used to do this when I was younger and had oodles of time. I always go into games intending to do 100% but reach my breaking point about half way through.[/QUOTE]

I usually break during the process but I go in with high hopes and intentions. Collection quests are what I tend to give up on. Now anything story related I'll bust my butt to get even the most minimal scene.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']OCD Cat says no...we can't settle. We gots to play and play and play and get everything when we do play.

2244601899_4d7fbf4060.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thankfully I'm not OCD when it comes to games and RPGs. Usually it doubles or triples the playing time, which is the opportunity cost of playing another game. For some reason, though, I'm OCD about completing all quests in Magna Carta 2....

Arrrggg. Not again! I DL'd The After Years on a bi-polar spending spree (don't ask - long story), and still haven't played it yet...

I'm surprised people give FFXII so much shit for it's plot/characters when both are really well fucking done.

Maybe I was too young to realize that when I first played it, but I'm having a blast right now.

[quote name='2DMention']. For some reason, though, I'm OCD about completing all quests in Magna Carta 2....[/quote]
I was to. They really aren't that bad. You'll find most of the weapons without even trying. (I just had to go back and look for 2) and only maybe a half-dozen of the quests require a large amount of back tracking. The rest you can just run around the same map.

Arrrggg. Not again! I DL'd The After Years on a bi-polar spending spree (don't ask - long story), and still haven't played it yet...

Welcome to my world. I put maybe 2 hours into it but downloaded all the parts and never been back.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm surprised people give FFXII so much shit for it's plot/characters when both are really well fucking done.

Maybe I was too young to realize that when I first played it, but I'm having a blast right now.[/QUOTE]

It's not a bad story at all but you have to admit that it doesn't really satisfy.

The characters of FFXII were good, I just didn't know wtf was going on half the time. "What... we have to go there for some reason? Okay, whatever lets go."

[quote name='Rodimus']The characters of FFXII were good with the possible exception of Vaan, I just didn't know wtf was going on half the time. "What... we have to go there for some reason? Okay, whatever lets go."[/QUOTE]
Fixed.

[quote name='Rodimus']The characters of FFXII were good, I just didn't know wtf was going on half the time. "What... we have to go there for some reason? Okay, whatever lets go."[/QUOTE]

That game would have made so much more sense if Basch or Ashe was the main character.

Vaan could have been totally removed and the story would have actually made MORE sense.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Vaan could have been totally removed and the story would have actually made MORE sense.[/QUOTE]

Penelo could have been removed too, since near as I can tell the only reason she was in your party was because of Vaan.

[quote name='icebeast']Penelo could have been removed too, since near as I can tell the only reason she was in your party was because of Vaan.[/QUOTE]

Hell I didn't even remember her name or her being in it, lol.

[quote name='Rodimus']Chrono Cross is coming to the PSN.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that some people have had compatibility problems with Chrono Cross on the PS3 (I think some people have encountered freezing) I wonder if that will be fixed.

[quote name='icebeast']I've heard that some people have had compatibility problems with Chrono Cross on the PS3 (I think some people have encountered freezing) I wonder if that will be fixed.[/QUOTE]

What kind of issues? I have Chrono Cross on disc (I've played it some but didn't get to far into it on the PS3, though beat on PS1)

Basch was actually originally intended to be the main character early in the game's development, but they introduced Vaan to appeal to a wider audience.

And honestly, annoying as he may have been, I feel him and Penelo added good value to the basis of what the plot was about -- especially in the beginning. And I like how the developers immediately put them in the backseat when real shit started to go down. Balthier literally says, "good thing we remembered to bring some entertainment along." And nearly every cutscene after that, they are purposely shown acting like children in the background while the grown ups discuss whatever situation.

The only reason the story is a little hard to follow is because of how much they over achieved with the dialogue. With all the old english, different accents, and surprisingly big words, you're bound to be lost without subtitles.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']What kind of issues? I have Chrono Cross on disc (I've played it some but didn't get to far into it on the PS3, though beat on PS1)[/QUOTE]

Freezing. Looking up the issue in google it sounds like they fixed it in one of the older Firmware updates so the game doesn't Freeze anymore, but I know I had a friend who tried to play it a few years ago on the PS3 and told me it froze and that surprised me because I never had that happen when playing on the PS2, but that might have been before they fixed it with the Firmware update.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The only reason the story is a little hard to follow is because of how much they over achieved with the dialogue. With all the old english, different accents, and surprisingly big words, you're bound to be lost without subtitles.[/QUOTE]

The game had subtitles, I had them on because I almost always turn on subtitles when they are offered in games because I like to be able to hear and read text at the same time to make sure I don't miss something. It didn't make the story better :cold:.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The consensus is 360. Unless it's more convenient for you to have it on PS3.[/QUOTE]

I have both with seperate HDMIs. x:

Guess 360 it is!

[quote name='panzerfaust']Did you like the Final Fantasy Tactics' story, icebeast?[/QUOTE]

FFT is a SRPG and I rarely make it far in those games, I think I made it less than half way probably but the story seemed alright but I wouldn't really say it was my thing (it focused more on conflict and factions than the characters in the story which I don't enjoy as much as a more character driven story). Vagrant Story though I really love.

fuck Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep!!!

I am officially rage quitting this game coz it's so bad...

I was hoping to at least beat one story before hanging it up, but no!!

the final boss in Terra's mode has this BS unblockable move that's way too difficult to avoid and kills you 95% of the time.

fukk. this. game.

[quote name='JEKKI']fuck Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep!!!

I am officially rage quitting this game coz it's so bad...

I was hoping to at least beat one story before hanging it up, but no!!

the final boss in Terra's mode has this BS unblockable move that's way too difficult to avoid and kills you 95% of the time.

fukk. this. game.[/QUOTE]

Almost everything he had should be blockable. (that's how I had to beat him block and counter).

What move are you having issues with and what level are you?

[quote name='icebeast']FFT is a SRPG and I rarely make it far in those games, I think I made it less than half way probably but the story seemed alright but I wouldn't really say it was my thing (it focused more on conflict and factions than the characters in the story which I don't enjoy as much as a more character driven story). Vagrant Story though I really love.[/QUOTE]

yeah some vagrant story love!!!

Today my grand plan is to hit 2 days playing time on Fallout 3.

I have finally been following the main story instead of all side questing.

Also ran into some military base that was a lot of fun because I just got to kill kill kill for a while.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Almost everything he had should be blockable. (that's how I had to beat him block and counter).

What move are you having issues with and what level are you?[/QUOTE]

Agreed with the block/counter strategy.

Xillia looks great, but Bandai is so random about what Tales games make it out here, I have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

[quote name='Zmonkay']How has nobody posted about the new Tales game for PS3, Tales of Xillia:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/15/tales-of-xillia-announced-by-namco-bandai/

Not that we'll actually get it stateside... :( [/QUOTE]

I think we stand a decent chance of seeing it compared to the other Tales games lately. Hope we get it anyways. Tired of watching them release the crappier tales games over here (Tales of the World and Tales of Symphonia 2) and then not releasing the others.

I can kindof see why we didn't get Graces after that Symphonia 2 shit on the Wii. Then when they redid it for the PS3 they don't even bother releasing it here like just about every other port/remake they've done. I'd just like a RPG I can consider good as this generation has been extremely lacking.

The only tales games I've played are 5 minutes of the GBA one and 2/3 of the Xbox 360 Vespa.

Loved vespa, hated the GBA one (whatever it's called)

There's too many tales games.

Hell, I want a new one just because the damned games are colorful/artistic. I'm so fucking tired of the greys/browns (Fallout 3 and Dragon Age were great games, but for shit's sake they were drab). Legandia is a breath of fresh air from current gen "realism".

How is the story for Legendia? I loved both Abyss and Vesperia in that regard altough I might just jump into one of my PS1 backlog instead if Legendia isn't that great

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Almost everything he had should be blockable. (that's how I had to beat him block and counter).

What move are you having issues with and what level are you?[/QUOTE]well first I gotta say, after rage quitting the game and going to bed, I turned my PSP on and started playing again

-_-

and then I beat him.

-_- x 2.

the move I had issues with was the one where he makes all the rocks come out of the ground and throws them at you. I was trying to avoid it by taking advantage of invincibility during shot-lock attack, but since the rocks came out randomly I would often get hit while targeting. And of course u cant get a max target coz he wont stop teleporting, and once you recover from the attack there's still like 6 rocks ready to kill you...

I figured out how to avoid the attack, by moving to the edge of the arena, turning around, and blocking.

so at least I was able to beat Terra's story, but I still hate this game and am selling it while the selling's good.

[quote name='voltanis99']How is the story for Legendia? I loved both Abyss and Vesperia in that regard altough I might just jump into one of my PS1 backlog instead if Legendia isn't that great[/QUOTE]
Legendia has the best characters and music out of all the Tales games IMO. That being said, the gameplay isn't as good as the others. So it's kind of a trade off.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Legendia has the best characters and music out of all the Tales games IMO. That being said, the gameplay isn't as good as the others. So it's kind of a trade off.[/QUOTE]

Yep. So far, the characters are very well done and have great interactions with each other (to the point where I can see some getting confused with all the nicknames they have for each other). Plot isn't spectacular, but it's well done and has just enough intrigue to keep you addicted. Like Rei said though, the gameplay is a huge step back (probably why it tends to get panned compared to Abyss and Symphonia), but the battles are fairly short, so it's inoffensive to me at least.

And also agree with Rei on the OST. Great work here.

[quote name='voltanis99']Any suggestions on what I should play next then?

Suikoden V
Xenogears
Persona 2:Eternal Punishment[/QUOTE]
Xenogears. P2, wait and see if they make a superior PSP version and play that instead.

[quote name='pete5883']Xenogears. P2, wait and see if they make a superior PSP version and play that instead.[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere that they were releasing a PSP remake of Persona 2: Innocent Sin which from what I heard is sort of a prequel to P2:EP. I guess I'll have to hope for a NA release for that and P2:EP for PSP

[quote name='voltanis99']Any suggestions on what I should play next then?

Suikoden V
Xenogears
Persona 2:Eternal Punishment[/QUOTE]

Suikoden V wouldn't be a bad pick, it is one of the best games in the series (behind Suikoden II), it isn't a bad place to start if you haven't played any other games in the series before either.

Just ordered Ys: Ark of Napishtim from Estarland. Complete with case and guide. Only cost $21. Was running that much most other places without a complete case.

Less at Gamestop but none of my local stores had it.

I finally beat Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep :D :D :D!! Damn, what an awesome game. I admit some of the battles were frustrating, and I can't imagine playing through the entire thing on Proud or Critical mode, but it was such a blast. More than anything, I am beyond happy with the fact that we were finally given some answers. Also, I know plenty of people disliked Aqua the most, but I found her to be the most interesting character, and enjoyed playing her storyline. I'm also not understanding why so many people dislike her VA, I found it perfectly fine.

fuck yes! We finally get to know what the letter Mickey sent Sora was about. I'm excited to see how he goes about saving the trio from their sad fates.

Aaaannndd, I just started playing Golden Sun finally. I'm eager to experience what some people call a mind-blowing game, although honestly, nothing has gripped me thus far into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back