Chatot used RPG Thread VIII! It's super effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the end of Kingdom Hearts: Recoded is
them finding out that Xehanort is alive again after his Heartless and Nobody were destroyed
. THen Kingdom Hearts 3DS is
Sora and Rikku taking their Keyblade Master exams to prepare to save the BBS crew and beat Xehanort
(then I guess whatever the next game is; is them actually doing it)

[quote name='Cheska19']I finally beat Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep :D :D :D!! Damn, what an awesome game. I admit some of the battles were frustrating, and I can't imagine playing through the entire thing on Proud or Critical mode, but it was such a blast. More than anything, I am beyond happy with the fact that we were finally given some answers. Also, I know plenty of people disliked Aqua the most, but I found her to be the most interesting character, and enjoyed playing her storyline. I'm also not understanding why so many people dislike her VA, I found it perfectly fine.

fuck yes! We finally get to know what the letter Mickey sent Sora was about. I'm excited to see how he goes about saving the trio from their sad fates.
[/quote]
Did we? I don't remember learning that. What did it say?

Aaaannndd, I just started playing Golden Sun finally. I'm eager to experience what some people call a mind-blowing game, although honestly, nothing has gripped me thus far into the game.
Don't believe the hype.

[quote name='voltanis99']Any suggestions on what I should play next then?

Suikoden V
Xenogears
Persona 2:Eternal Punishment[/QUOTE]

You can't go wrong with Xenogears. It's one of the best games from the PS1. Simply fantastic.

Personally, I haven't played Suikoden V yet but I've heard nothing but good things as long as you can stick out the slow beginning.

I would play Innocent Sin before you get to Eternal Punishment. I got about halfway through the PS1 version of EP before I gave up on one of the Joker battles.

[quote name='depascal22']You can't go wrong with Xenogears. It's one of the best games from the PS1. Simply fantastic.

Personally, I haven't played Suikoden V yet but I've heard nothing but good things as long as you can stick out the slow beginning.

I would play Innocent Sin before you get to Eternal Punishment. I got about halfway through the PS1 version of EP before I gave up on one of the Joker battles.[/QUOTE]

Xenogears it is then. Altough I might finish Vagrant Story real quick since that came in today and from what I've heard it is a pretty fast game to beat.

[quote name='voltanis99']Xenogears it is then. Altough I might finish Vagrant Story real quick since that came in today and from what I've heard it is a pretty fast game to beat.[/QUOTE]

Vagrant Story is another classic. It's too bad Vagrant Story 2 got renamed Final Fantasy XII to sell more copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='voltanis99']Xenogears it is then. Altough I might finish Vagrant Story real quick since that came in today and from what I've heard it is a pretty fast game to beat.[/QUOTE]

What the hell? How do yo have a working copy of Xenogears?

Get ready to read a lot. Time spent on disc 2 is mainly in dialog bubbles.

it took me 2 hours to beat the final boss of Nocturne.

and I didnt even kill him until my 3rd or 4th try, which were also 2 hour attempts.

[quote name='2DMention']I bet the last boss of Ys 7 could give it a run for it's money.[/QUOTE]

I didn't take that long when I beat it after I upgraded a bunch of stuff. I powered through him quite pitifully in like 15 minutes tops.

[quote name='JEKKI']it took me 2 hours to beat the final boss of Nocturne.

and I didnt even kill him until my 3rd or 4th try, which were also 2 hour attempts.[/QUOTE]

That boss (if your talking about Lucifer and not Kagatsuchi) actually only took me one try and died a lot quicker then that (but I had created an insane party by the end (basically all Riders with Pierce and they all had party healing spells)).

The only really hard boss battle I remember in that game was Pale Rider (took so many attempts over a couple years before I finally beat that). And the longest was Noah since if you didn't have a party that could cast every element you spent a bunch of time waiting for him to change to an element that you could use to do damage and even then only one of my people could do damage depending on what element he was weak against (I had to use MP items to win that because it took so long).

[quote name='JEKKI']it took me 2 hours to beat the final boss of Nocturne.

and I didnt even kill him until my 3rd or 4th try, which were also 2 hour attempts.[/QUOTE]

I got him on my second try. He was a bitch. I think I had Dante, Metatron and Beelzebub.

[quote name='panzerfaust']hot cocoa + FFIX = a damn good winter break[/QUOTE]

FFIX is still going? I thought everybody would abandon ship with XIV.

I haven't played Magna Carta 2 in about a week. Haven't had time.

IX = 9. It's the last playstation era FF I have yet to play through. It's pretty lighhearted and entertaining so far and I like the story telling, but even at 8 hours in the combat is still slow and basic (beyond boss fights). Hope that picks up.

And no one in their right mind would play FF14.

[quote name='icebeast']That boss (if your talking about Lucifer and not Kagatsuchi) actually only took me one try and died a lot quicker then that (but I had created an insane party by the end (basically all Riders with Pierce and they all had party healing spells)).[/QUOTE]yeay Lucifer, my party was underleveled, like lvl 70 that's why it took me so long.

I remember I had to be so conservative. Spend first 2 turns all on buffs and debuffs, then every turn after that I could only afford to attack once with my main, and immediately heal him afterwards.

my party was Dante and 2 of the riders, so at least Dante was there to help out with some damage, but the riders were purely support.

Just for fun I thought I'd boot up Nocturne and see what my final save before the end of the game was like:

Time: 71:25

Main Character: lvl 99 999hp 393mp
(NOTE: His level is higher than 99, and I'm not sure how high, since you continue to level above 99 but it just says 99, I'd guess he is maybe 110-120)
  • Focus - 5 MP - Phys attack damage more than doubles on next turn
  • Might - Raises odds of critical hit
  • Avenge - Enables random counterattacks Heavy damage
  • Deadly Fury - 319 HP - Type: Physical, High odds of critical, All enemies
  • Pierce - Phys attacks become 100% effective: subject to repel
  • Spiral Viper - 159 HP - Type: Physical, 1 enemy
  • Freikugel - 169 HP Type: Almighty, 1 enemy
  • Life Surge - Raises MAX HP by 30%

Black Rider: lvl 76 696hp 452mp
  • Glacial Blast - 25 MP - Type: Ice, Heavy Damage, Random enemies
  • Bright Might - Phys attacks will be always critical at full Kagutsuchi
  • War Cry - 40 MP - Lowers Physical/Magic attack greatly, All enemies
  • Mediarahan - 35 MP - Heals HP fully, Entire party
  • Debilitate - 48 MP - Lowers attack/defense/dodge/aim, All enemies
  • Mana Surge - Raises MAX MP by 30%
  • Megidolaon - 50 MP - Type: Almighty, Mega damage, All enemies

White Rider: lvl 70 660hp 330mp
  • God's Bow - 20 MP - Type: Expel, Fatal, 1 Enemy (very high odds)
  • Prominence - 30 MP - Type: Fire, Heavy damage, Random enemies
  • Focus - 5 MP - Phys attack damage more than doubles on the next turn
  • Debilitate - 48 MP - Lowers attack/defense/dodge/aim, All enemies
  • Dekaja - 10 MP - Cancels -kaja effects, All enemies

Red Rider: lvl 72 672hp 336mp
  • Wind Cutter - 13 MP Type: Force, Mega damage, 1 enemy
  • Fog Breath - 30 MP - Lowers dodge/aim greatly, All enemies
  • Bolt Storm - 25MP - Type: Electric, Heavy Damage, Random enemies
  • Dekunda - 10MP - Cancels -nda effects, entire party
  • Avenge - Enables random counterattacks Heavy damage

My basic strategy for the Lucifer if I remember was to debuff (keep it up when it was removed by Lucifer), heal when needed (very easy since any one of my three can heal everyone fully), and then have my main character and White Rider use Focus one turn and attack the next for really high damage (more-so from my main character since he did way more damage than the other party members), everybody else just physical attacks since with Pierce they will do normal damage with those attacks.

Bright Might was just on there for earlier encounters since with that on you can run around before a boss till it is Full Kagatsuchi then fight the boss and you always get to take 7 turns (since Kagatsuchi doesn't change in combat so you are guaranteed criticals), doesn't work on Lucifer though since there is no Kagatsuchi phase for that fight.

To get Pierce on I actually had to remake my party (I already had a party of 3 Riders but they had all skill slots full already and were in their 80s so when I got access to Pierce I remade them (and added the healing spell to all of them this time), and then ran around for a long time power leveling in the final dungeon because Riders start at like 50ish) stopped when they hit around 70 and decided to see if I could win, and I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember I had the same basic strategy for the majority of bosses in Nocturne: decrease their accuracy/evasion and increase mine. It made the majority of boss fights in that game pretty easy.

You think there's any chance we'll get Nocturne and DDS on PSP? I'd love to play more PS2 RPGs but my old LCD can't take much more static screens.

So excited to finally get a release date for DQ VI. Maybe I should celebrate by finally starting V (or doing postgame for IV)

[quote name='Zmonkay']So excited to finally get a release date for DQ VI. Maybe I should celebrate by finally starting V (or doing postgame for IV)[/QUOTE]

I think you should.

I'm going to go grind out a couple more levels and finish Chapter V in DQIV. (I beat it on NES but on DS I keep getting killed by last form of final boss)

[quote name='Rodimus']Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection for the PSP looks sweet. I've never beat the game so this should be a treat.[/QUOTE]

I've beat it on SNES, PS1, and GBA. I haven't beaten the DS version. (it is sadistically difficult).

I've only done Ceodora and Rydia in After Years.

So yeah I'll get it and I will enjoy it. Let's get that US release date!

[quote name='Zmonkay']So excited to finally get a release date for DQ VI. Maybe I should celebrate by finally starting V (or doing postgame for IV)[/QUOTE]

There's postgame stuff in DQIV? I guess I didn't realize that.

[quote name='Backlash']There's postgame stuff in DQIV? I guess I didn't realize that.[/QUOTE]

The new Chapter VI. You like side with the "bad guy" to take on a new evil or something.

[quote name='icebeast']Just for fun I thought I'd boot up Nocturne and see what my final save before the end of the game was like:

Time: 71:25

Main Character: lvl 99 999hp 393mp

(NOTE: His level is higher than 99, and I'm not sure how high, since you continue to level above 99 but it just says 99, I'd guess he is maybe 110-120)
  • .[/QUOTE]
I didnt uber-level like this for the end of nocturne. pretty sure I was only in the 60s-70s before I took on Lucifer. It's been about two years but I basically just remember having one character buff us and debuff him and the main character hit with pierce every round. Went own in around an hour.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']The new Chapter VI. You like side with the "bad guy" to take on a new evil or something.[/QUOTE]

Oh, right. I did that.

I got bogged down in Nocturne. I was about 8-10 hours in. I was in some dungeon that looked like a bad acid trip and kept getting killed by the boss right near the end of it. I just wasn't leveled enough I guess.

[quote name='eldergamer']I didnt uber-level like this for the end of nocturne. pretty sure I was only in the 60s-70s before I took on Lucifer. It's been about two years but I basically just remember having one character buff us and debuff him and the main character hit with pierce every round. Went own in around an hour.[/QUOTE]

I didn't uber-level either, like I wasn't focusing on leveling at all other than having to get my guys from 50 back to 70. The only reason my main character got that high is because I needed a lot of money to do all the complicated fusions that it took to create that team, so I grinded for money and he just happened to get fairly high because he is always in your party.

[quote name='eldergamer']
[/LIST]
I didnt uber-level like this for the end of nocturne. pretty sure I was only in the 60s-70s before I took on Lucifer. It's been about two years but I basically just remember having one character buff us and debuff him and the main character hit with pierce every round. Went own in around an hour.[/QUOTE]

Really!? Not to call you a liar but I just find it very unlikely to beat him in your 60s or 70s. Maybe mid to high 70s. Just by getting to him you should be a substantially high level considering you must fight all the way through the Labrynth of Amala. It's highly recommended to have Freikugel which requires the MC to be level 80.

I could be absolutely wrong, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if I was. So don't take my post as an insult. It's just that I haven't personally heard of anyone beating him below level 80.

Posted this in the PSP thread but didn't get a response so will try here.

Anyone play Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2? I've heard 2 is very good but nothing about one. 2 is on sale for $15 on PSN and I can get 1 for $17 locally, so wanted to see if worth it.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Posted this in the PSP thread but didn't get a response so will try here.

Anyone play Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2? I've heard 2 is very good but nothing about one. 2 is on sale for $15 on PSN and I can get 1 for $17 locally, so wanted to see if worth it.[/QUOTE]

Also curious about this, especially as a single player game (I know a whole 1 other person with a psp...)

[quote name='Zmonkay']Also curious about this, especially as a single player game (I know a whole 1 other person with a psp...)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know 1 other guy with a PSP but he hacked it so we can't even play multiplayer games most of the time.

I started Resonance of Fate and after two hours of figuring out the batlle system I was finally getting into it until the first boss and that it's at freaking level 17 (team at 4).

[quote name='panzerfaust']Is that normal? Or is the game truly a grind fest?[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere the game was difficult but it's the first time I've played an rpg with such a steep climb. The complex battle system does not help either (though battles themselves are entertaining). I'll give it another go tomorrow but for today I am done lol I was pleased though that the game came with a dual language option :)

I did every single mission and I didn't have to grind until the very last boss. Some of the bosses were quite difficult, but they can be beaten without grinding. Be sure you vary your weapon usage to level up more quickly. If, for example, Leanne is level 10 with handguns but 5 or less with grenades, start spamming grenades in any battle easy enough to afford it.

Going to "return" Ar Tonelico and pick up RoF and probably FF XIII from gamestop's B2G1 sale.

65 hours into Valkria Chronicles 2 so far. Specific emblems just won't drop when I need them to >.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']What ya disliking about Ar Tonelico?[/QUOTE]

I meant that I was going to return it so I can get it basically for free from the used game sale by gamestop.

Well, I was forced to quit Magna Carta 2. I got to the
Battle of Dunan Hill
, and I can't backtrack and grind, I can't earn enough money to buy more healing items, and my healing mages don't build up enough Kan to heal fast enough. I'm stuck. That's bad design when you can't backtrack and grind and are stuck somewhere. All of a sudden, the game just spiked in difficulty suddenly.

I'll come back to it again eventually, but not for a long time. I should have known better and grinded and save up enough money to buy a bunch of healing items.

I don't know what I'll play next. Do you think I can beat Vesperia in 7 weeks by the time DQVI comes out?

That should be enough time, although it took me a bit longer. I think my playthrough was about 70 hours or so. I had to grind for about an hour at the end to level up a tad for the final boss, and I did do the "Fell" sidequest which is HIGHLY recommended to do. It all just depends on how much you game and how much of that gaming you do on RPG's. Around 10 hours a week for 2 months on a game sounds responsible.

front mission 3 is out well then I will pick it up after work thanks

I never finished fm4 I tried 2 seperate times but the switching back and forth between story lines kept taking me out of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back