Chatot used RPG Thread VIII! It's super effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished Xenogears last night, my game time was 50 hours. But, I put a down for a couple hours on pause once or twice.

Anyways, I haven't played Xenogears since high school and overall I still really enjoyed. Sure, some of the dialogue was god awful, especially Bart and Margie's but the actual story is still good and really deep.

And it was actually kind of nice to relax, sit back in the chair, and have Fei and Elly tell me the story from a rocking chair and then I only have to fight a boss battle here or there :).

And with the faliure of my 360's dvd drive, I've decided to try one of these many PS2 games I've got lying around. Right now I'm thinking Radiata Stories, Tales of Legendia, Nocturne or Devil Summoner 2. Anybody know the general lengths of these games? I want to hit the shortest one first which is why I'm leaving Shadow Hearts and DDS off the list because I'll have to contend to their sequels afterward.

[quote name='chibamm']
And it was actually kind of nice to relax, sit back in the chair, and have Fei and Elly tell me the story from a rocking chair and then I only have to fight a boss battle here or there :).[/QUOTE]

I liked the change of pace that the second disk bought...or maybe I'm forcing myself to like it as the game is probably in my top one list of greatest games ever. Pretty excited about the recent rumors (again) about it finally coming to US PSN.

[quote name='Indignate']And with the faliure of my 360's dvd drive, I've decided to try one of these many PS2 games I've got lying around. Right now I'm thinking Radiata Stories, Tales of Legendia, Nocturne or Devil Summoner 2. Anybody know the general lengths of these games? I want to hit the shortest one first which is why I'm leaving Shadow Hearts and DDS off the list because I'll have to contend to their sequels afterward.[/QUOTE]
Nocturne is the longest of those 4, the other 3 are probably about the same length.

[quote name='Indignate']And with the faliure of my 360's dvd drive, I've decided to try one of these many PS2 games I've got lying around. Right now I'm thinking Radiata Stories, Tales of Legendia, Nocturne or Devil Summoner 2. Anybody know the general lengths of these games? I want to hit the shortest one first which is why I'm leaving Shadow Hearts and DDS off the list because I'll have to contend to their sequels afterward.[/QUOTE]
I can't speak for Nocturne or DS2, but both Legendia and Radiata can be beaten in about thirty hours or less, each. Also, I believe Radiata's the shorter of the two.

Note that both could take longer than that depending on what extra stuff you do; there's the Character Quests in Legendia (which easily doubles the total length of the game), and collecting party members and/or the multiple endings in Radiata.

As blueshinra said, Legendia is 30 hrs (almost to the minute for me, lol). I personally recommend playing it, then watching the character quests. They are about another 30, but could easily be fast forwarded through on youtube in a couple hours instead.

[quote name='blueshinra']This coming from someone who loved Earthbound? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

They weren't 12 year olds acting like 30 years olds. I think Earthbound would've been less enjoyable if the characters were older while just the opposite for Blue Dragon. Still I would say I enjoyed both games equally, maybe even Blue Dragon a little bit more since nostalgia doesn't play a factor with my EB experience.

Finally got a PSP!

And there's a Sega sale? Sweet. Now I can get PS Portable 2 and VC2. Any other RPGs? Also thinking about getting the SO2 remake.

The only game I have on PSP is the AKB48 dating game. I can't really recommend it. When you reject someone you say the meanest things to them.

Guy: Wow, there's lots of people gathered here.
Girl: Yeah... there are. But, I have to say, there's one person here that I really like... ^_^
Guy: There's no here that I really like.
Girl: Uh, what?
Guy: Sorry. I can't return your feelings. I only see you as a friend.

What the hell! Why so mean?

[quote name='62t']a bit late but the English patch for Super Robot Taisen J GBA was recently released[/QUOTE]
I know what I'm going to be playing.

[quote name='Rodimus']They weren't 12 year olds acting like 30 years olds. I think Earthbound would've been less enjoyable if the characters were older while just the opposite for Blue Dragon. Still I would say I enjoyed both games equally, maybe even Blue Dragon a little bit more since nostalgia doesn't play a factor with my EB experience.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I'll be going through Blue Dragon after Magna Carta 2. :>

ugh... Radiata Stories. Every time I'm about to forgot that game ever existed I am somehow reminded of it.

Looks like Atlus is porting SMT: Devil Survivor over to the 3DS. I guess I'll hold off on playing the original until I hear more about this port.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']

Looks like Atlus is porting SMT: Devil Survivor over to the 3DS. I guess I'll hold off on playing the original until I hear more about this port.[/QUOTE]

You'll still get stuck at the part where you have to kill all the demons AND babysit the civilians. Except you can get frustrated in 3D!

AKB48 dating game

Sounds like a robot dating game.

I'm kind of tempted to get one of the Y's games after finishing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Debating on which one to go with though...

[quote name='2DMention']You'll still get stuck at the part where you have to kill all the demons AND babysit the civilians. Except you can get frustrated in 3D![/QUOTE]
No 3D to be had there. Which is kind of a shock since I would have thought Nintendo would forced developers to use 3D. Also I have yet to actually play it on the DS...

It'll be like early 360 games at first. They'll just be slight graphical upgrades at first. First party games will dazzle of course but third party games will take a year or so to really take off.

[quote name='depascal22']It'll be like early 360 games at first. They'll just be slight graphical upgrades at first. First party games will dazzle of course but third party games will take a year or so to really take off.[/QUOTE]

Thats fine by me. I don't want the early 3DS games to turn out like some of the early DS games...

That just means I can hold off on a 3DS for a year or so and get it cheaper. Although my DS is an original fat model so I may just get the 3DS on release, assuming it keeps backwards compatibility.

No kidding, but I have those games in my backlog as well. It was up to those and a few others. But I just got Resonance of Fate off Amazon the other day and really want to fire up an RPG on a next gen console.

[quote name='Indignate']I liked the change of pace that the second disk bought...or maybe I'm forcing myself to like it as the game is probably in my top one list of greatest games ever. Pretty excited about the recent rumors (again) about it finally coming to US PSN.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, hopefully it gets a good update. The one bad thing I can say about Xenogears is the controls during movement. It just felt really awkward running around towns and dungeons. Oh and everytime you go and open a door....boom....random battle.

[quote name='kainzero']Finally got a PSP!

And there's a Sega sale? Sweet. Now I can get PS Portable 2 and VC2. Any other RPGs? Also thinking about getting the SO2 remake. [/QUOTE]Half Minute Hero!! that game is funnnnnnn and also real cool.

get Metal Gear Acid!! It's not RPG, but it plays like a SRPG and u get stronger attacks as u progress so it's kinda like leveling up.

and get Peace Walker!! it's also not an RPG, but it's like the PSP version of DQIX as both games are actually quite similar.

and if u like Phantasy Star, go get Monster Hunter instead!

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Looks like Atlus is porting SMT: Devil Survivor over to the 3DS. I guess I'll hold off on playing the original until I hear more about this port.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't a big fan of this. The combat is okay, nothing groundbreaking, just a SMT strategy game which is fine. But the cutscenes killed it for me, they're way too boring and uninteresting.

[quote name='kainzero']And there's a Sega sale? Sweet.[/quote]
You guys could've told me it was over on the 3rd! How embarrassing.

Looks like it'll be a while 'till I play PSP2 or VC2.
[quote name='JEKKI']Half Minute Hero!! that game is funnnnnnn and also real cool.

get Metal Gear Acid!! It's not RPG, but it plays like a SRPG and u get stronger attacks as u progress so it's kinda like leveling up.

and get Peace Walker!! it's also not an RPG, but it's like the PSP version of DQIX as both games are actually quite similar.

and if u like Phantasy Star, go get Monster Hunter instead![/QUOTE]
Are any of those cheap or on sale?

As for MH, MH3 just came out in Japan, right?
I wanted to try it but it seems like no one I know plays and in Japan I'd always see people huddled up in groups playing it. And I figure if I do get it, I should wait till MH3 comes out here. For sure if I get the Japanese version I won't have anyone to play with.

[quote name='Rodimus']I wasn't a big fan of this. The combat is okay, nothing groundbreaking, just a SMT strategy game which is fine. But the cutscenes killed it for me, they're way too boring and uninteresting.[/QUOTE]

I was the opposite I don't much like SRPGs and the combat was just standard SRPG, the monster fusing was fun just like in all SMT games, but I thought the plot was interesting and it is what drove me close to beating the game, but much like most SRPGs the combat and ramping up of stupid boss battles made me stop playing and so I didn't finish it.

[quote name='icebeast']I was the opposite I don't much like SRPGs and the combat was just standard SRPG, the monster fusing was fun just like in all SMT games, but I thought the plot was interesting and it is what drove me close to beating the game, but much like most SRPGs the combat and ramping up of stupid boss battles made me stop playing and so I didn't finish it.[/QUOTE]

The premise was interesting but the delivery was sleep inducing. Literarily I would struggle to stay awake during cutscenes. In the middle of dialogue I would shut my DS so I could take a nap.

Fusion was okay, probably on of the worst fusion systems in a SMT game. It was borderline addicting.

[quote name='icebeast']I was the opposite I don't much like SRPGs and the combat was just standard SRPG, the monster fusing was fun just like in all SMT games, but I thought the plot was interesting and it is what drove me close to beating the game, but much like most SRPGs the combat and ramping up of stupid boss battles made me stop playing and so I didn't finish it.[/QUOTE]

I liked it until I got to the part where you hand to kill all the enemies AND prevent them from getting to the other side of the map AND defend the npc.

I tried it 6-7 times, failed everytime, and quit. Way too hard.

I made a mistake.....I beat Dragon Age Origins, then went to Fable III (jeez this game is medicore) I have a hard time wanting to finish Fable III after the fantastic game Dragon Age Origins.

Anyhow what one of these games are better?

Arcana 4
Risen
Draconus

all for 360

[quote name='Poor2More']I made a mistake.....I beat Dragon Age Origins, then went to Fable III (jeez this game is medicore) I have a hard time wanting to finish Fable III after the fantastic game Dragon Age Origins.

Anyhow what one of these games are better?

Arcana 4
Risen
Draconus

all for 360[/QUOTE]

My wife played and beat Risen twice to get 1000/1000 on it. I have started Divinity 2 Ego Draconis, and from playing it briefly I felt that Fable 2 was better than Divinity. As for my wife's opinion on Risen, she liked it about equal to Fable 2. We have both started Fable 3, and my opinion on 3 is about the same as 2. Sure there are improvements, but some of the changes are neither boons nor banes. Arcania 4 my wife wants to start, but she said that she read there are some achievement glitches so she is waiting for a title update (which the PC already has). So that just leaves Fable 3 and Dragon Age for her. She is in love with DA:O right now, as was I when I played it through twice. Hell, I even got 1750/1750 on that game.

But I do see some potential and Fable 3 at least. My recommendation to you is stick with Fable 3 and then move on to the next one.

I am about to start a not so epic journey through Final Fantasy 1 on the PSP - I do not expect this game to be challenging or even exciting but the time has come to play it!
This will be my work "lunchtime" game - and when I am home I am going to resume my Fallout 3 playthru slugging through the wasteland - currently heading towards slave city (whatever it's called).

[quote name='grrouchie']I am about to start a not so epic journey through Final Fantasy 1 on the PSP - I do not expect this game to be challenging or even exciting but the time has come to play it![/QUOTE]
if you want a challenging FF1, you have to go with the original NES version.

they kept remaking this game until it got really, really easy. some of us still have nightmares about the cockatrices in the ice cave.

it's been a long time since i played it, but the WSC version also seemed to be accurate to the NES version. not sure if they adjusted the EXP/Gold rates though.

So in Magna Carta 2 news...

So that general guy I fight before Alex pretty much wasted all my healing items, and Alex but raped the shit out of me. >.

How is Star Ocean Till the End of Time? Is it just a standard RPG or is there something special about it? Just wondering whether to have high-hopes for this game or to set expectations low and enjoy the ride.

Speaking of Star Ocean - If one has never played any games in the series should they start at the first or does it really not matter.

I don't Own 1 or 2 - but I have the PS2 one and maybe the 360 one.

[quote name='momouchi']How is Star Ocean Till the End of Time? Is it just a standard RPG or is there something special about it? Just wondering whether to have high-hopes for this game or to set expectations low and enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE]

It's one of those games were you're absolutely gonna love it, or hate it, there rarely seems to be a middle ground. But you're doing the right thing by at least trying it. Unfortunately I'm on the "hate" side. I thought the combat was awkward and clunky. I really tried to like this game and forced myself to play a good 8 or 9 hours but I just couldn't appreciate the combat. From what I played the story seemed okay.

[quote name='kainzero']if you want a challenging FF1, you have to go with the original NES version.

they kept remaking this game until it got really, really easy. some of us still have nightmares about the cockatrices in the ice cave.

it's been a long time since i played it, but the WSC version also seemed to be accurate to the NES version. not sure if they adjusted the EXP/Gold rates though.[/QUOTE]

I remember (I think it was Jeremy Parish/Gamespite) did a final fantasy retrospective and as part of that included what the best version of each game (if applicable) was and in the case of FF1 (and 2) the verdict was if you wanted the version with the best graphics/most content then go with the GBA/PSP versions , if your looking for a balanced challenge though than go with the PS1 origins version.

[quote name='grrouchie']Speaking of Star Ocean - If one has never played any games in the series should they start at the first or does it really not matter.

I don't Own 1 or 2 - but I have the PS2 one and maybe the 360 one.[/QUOTE]

The games are not connected at all. The only ones that have a connection are 1 and 2. And even that connection is very very loose and doesn't even matter plotwise. The Star Ocean series is similar to the majority of JRPG series. As in the plots aren't connected in the series.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's one of those games were you're absolutely gonna love it, or hate it, there rarely seems to be a middle ground. But you're doing the right thing by at least trying it. Unfortunately I'm on the "hate" side. I thought the combat was awkward and clunky. I really tried to like this game and forced myself to play a good 8 or 9 hours but I just couldn't appreciate the combat. From what I played the story seemed okay.[/QUOTE]

lol, this. Also completely hated it. I too tried to like it, gave it a fair shake, but there was just no fun to be had. Story, characters, and graphics were poor, and the battle system was plain boring for me. I have SO4 in my backlog too, and don't know if I'll ever bother trying it.

[quote name='grrouchie']Speaking of Star Ocean - If one has never played any games in the series should they start at the first or does it really not matter.

I don't Own 1 or 2 - but I have the PS2 one and maybe the 360 one.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it really matters.
I like 2 best.
I played 1 after and hated it.
[quote name='momouchi']How is Star Ocean Till the End of Time? Is it just a standard RPG or is there something special about it? Just wondering whether to have high-hopes for this game or to set expectations low and enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE]
The battles are kinda interesting...

The story has a big twist that puts you in the hate it or love it side. Most people are on the hate it side.

PROTIP: Do read Mana Knight's review of this game.

Question to all: What's your favorite Arc the Lad game?

I just recently saw Arc III on the PSN and realized it was my favorite in the series. I've beaten them all except the last one (Heart of Darkness or something like that) I know many consider Arc II the best and that's hard to argue with, but something about Arc III left a big impression on me. Maybe because I played the first 2 and seeing all the previous characters make cameos was a nice touch. The graphics update was nice, it looked more like a 32-bit game rather than a beefed up 16-bit game like the first two.

Fun Fact: Arc the Lad was the first RPG to use it's own OST in the game.

I got about 2 hours into Resonance of Fate and into the 1st Chapter. I'm really digging this game alot. I like the character designs, music, and overall look and feel to the game. The combat is definitely unique and a little hard to grasp. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface and already there is plenty going on.

[quote name='Rodimus']Question to all: What's your favorite Arc the Lad game?[/QUOTE]

None , since I've never played any of them , which is extra sad since I have all of them.:cry:

[quote name='kainzero']The battles are kinda interesting...

The story has a big twist that puts you in the hate it or love it side. Most people are on the hate it side.[/QUOTE]

I liked the battles in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, the crafting system was way over complicated though.

With regards to the plot twist I thought the idea was interesting and the ending built off it nicely, but the execution of the twist itself was horrendously bad.

[quote name='chibamm']I got about 2 hours into Resonance of Fate and into the 1st Chapter. I'm really digging this game alot. I like the character designs, music, and overall look and feel to the game. The combat is definitely unique and a little hard to grasp. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface and already there is plenty going on.[/QUOTE]

I really like the over-the-top direction of the game and the character design as well, but I won't be picking it up until end of the year.

Tactics Ogre and Parasite Eve will be my only day one pickups this year until Last Guardian hits.

[quote name='Rodimus']Question to all: What's your favorite Arc the Lad game?

I just recently saw Arc III on the PSN and realized it was my favorite in the series. I've beaten them all except the last one (Heart of Darkness or something like that) I know many consider Arc II the best and that's hard to argue with, but something about Arc III left a big impression on me. Maybe because I played the first 2 and seeing all the previous characters make cameos was a nice touch. The graphics update was nice, it looked more like a 32-bit game rather than a beefed up 16-bit game like the first two.

Fun Fact: Arc the Lad was the first RPG to use it's own OST in the game.[/QUOTE]
Arc 3 is my favorite too. My problem with Arc 2 was that while it was good, it was way longer than it should have been. About 5 hours before that game ended I was really wishing it was over. It just dragged too much in the last section.

[quote name='depascal22']You can also put me on the list of people that have never played an Arc the Lad game. Is the new PSN release of III worth $6?[/QUOTE]

It's worth it considering the alternative, but keep in mind you're playing the third installment. Here's the skinny on the Arc series:

Arc I - Short but fun. Keep in mind it was the first SRPG on the PS1. Leaves you with a nice cliffhanger ending, but doesn't feel like a complete game.

Arc II - As an analogy I'd like to think Suikoden II stole a few tricks from Arc II since they are very similar products. It took everything about the first and expanded on it. Every original character returns but with a new main cast. This title completes the story Arc 1 set, making it extremely fulfilling. Like Rei said, it's a long ass game, maybe too long but for $6 it's a steal.

Arc III - This was more of a fresh start for the series. Not as direct like Arc 2 was to Arc 1. It takes place many years later. All the MCs are new but it did a great job with fan service by having cameos of all the previous characters (and theres a lot)

I think I have the two PS2 ones somewhere that I picked up really cheap somewhere. I hear they aren't very good, which is why they have been sitting in my backlog forever.

[quote name='momouchi']I think I have the two PS2 ones somewhere that I picked up really cheap somewhere. I hear they aren't very good, which is why they have been sitting in my backlog forever.[/QUOTE]

Twilight of the Spirits isn't bad, isn't great but isn't bad. The other one you can use for a coaster.

lol, add me to the list of "all of them sitting in my backlog". Like momouchi, I had only heard they were decent, but not great, so I picked them up cheap but have been in no rush to play them. Maybe it's time to rectify that.

I got about 9 hours into Arc 1 and got stuck on some level where you have to get into a temple. (or the one after I can't remember.)

Never touched 2 or 3 even though I have the Collection.

Got an hour into Twilight and got bored, and the other I never touched.

[quote name='icebeast']With regards to the plot twist I thought the idea was interesting and the ending built off it nicely, but the execution of the twist itself was horrendously bad.[/QUOTE]
Once I saw the twist, I stopped playing, just right then and there.

It felt like they threw everything away that you've worked so hard for.

Demon Souls pissed me off so much that I threw my controller.
*rage*

[quote name='kainzero']Once I saw the twist, I stopped playing, just right then and there.

It felt like they threw everything away that you've worked so hard for.[/QUOTE]

I mean it felt like they were going for
something along the lines of The Matrix and I like the exploration of consciousness and what it means to exist, but the execution of having that little kid run up and say, "You're the guys from my game" was just idiotic. Again I felt like the ending got back to the theme well, but the reveal was just annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back