Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Well, shit. They're doing a crossover within a crossover now. Forever Evil: Blight. Looks like I'll be picking up Pandora and Phantom Stranger again... I already get Constantine and Justice League Dark every month, might as well get the whole crossover while I'm at it.

I got the first Arkham Unhinged hardcover a couple of days ago. I only read the first issue but I like it well enough so far. I'm sort of getting back into the Batman mood since Arkham Origins hits this month, so I'll probably pick up and start reading Grant Morrison's run from where I left off in August.  

When they decided to give Logan another monthly series. 

I just realized that Collider underwent a name change to The Federal Bureau of Physics. I thought they were just on a delay, but apparently three new issues have shipped since the name change so picked up them bitches today. 

Did a quick search since I was curious as well and I guess it was either Wolverine #6 or 7.
Cool thanks.

Btw I googled this and found no answer but does green arrow have telepathic abilities? I was watching supernatural like all men do and I saw someone lifting 225 lbs with his mind on arrow. I assume arrow is green arrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing this for you since you're my main dawg. Real men read both Avengers and X-Men and don't watch Supernatural. 

I'm a real man and even watch Supernatural every once in a while. Shiiiiit, I can't turn down Jeffery Dean Morgan any day.

Also, the little Adventures of Superman digital comics have been killing it for me. So fucking good.

Cool thanks.

Btw I googled this and found no answer but does green arrow have telepathic abilities? I was watching supernatural like all men do and I saw someone lifting 225 lbs with his mind on arrow. I assume arrow is green arrow.
Arrow is Green Arrow, but if he has telekinesis it's a show thing because Ollie has no powers in the comics.

Cool thanks.

I Ain't never seen Supernatural, doo, but let me ask you, how much is it like Entourage? I Know there's brother's in the show and Entourage is like a brothers since they got each others backs, so how much is it like Entourage and which one is Turtle?

And the show Arrow ain't no one got powers yet, besides having 5% body fat...max.

When they decided to give Logan another monthly series.

I just realized that Collider underwent a name change to The Federal Bureau of Physics. I thought they were just on a delay, but apparently three new issues have shipped since the name change so picked up them bitches today.
I picked up FBP today since it was issue #1 and seemed interesting but it's another book retitled?

Out of slight morbid curiosity I decided to pick up Afterlife with Archie today.

Holy shit.

It's actually...good. It reads nothing like a lighthearted Archie comic like I thought, but so far full on horror comic feel. I'm going to add this to my hold slot now it seems.

I decided to check out Coffin Hill from Vertigo because I liked the cover. Pretty damn good. Vertigo might have another winning series on their hands. 

Also, Infinity #4 and Batman #24 were both amazing. 

I Thought this would be a light week, but this week I picked up...

Afterlife with Archie, Arkham War, Batman, Constantine, Green Lantern Corps, Infinity, Manhattan Project, Rocket Girl (and came with a signed print!), Shaolin Cowboy and Walking Dead. So a bit of the opposite, plus I added Afterlife with Archie and Shaolin Cowboy to my hold slot and I still haven't started Rocket Girl to determine if it'll go there as well. Though I'm still surprised how much I enjoyed Archie, like really weirded out. Right down to me giving silent nod of approval over the Pureheart reference.

Woot, thanks!

So, this week in comics... Johnny the Homicidal Maniac 1, Infinity 4, Forever Evil Arkham War 1, and not sure what else.. haven't read this weeks yet because I've been busy.

The 3d covers though.. other than what is pictured, I finally got Man-Bat!

KJ4to2G.jpg

Some early Marvel News out of NYCC:

Next year we get a pretty sweet crossover between All New X-Men and Guardians of the Galaxy called "The Trial of Jean Grey." Gunnm dawg just went crazy somewhere.

Charles Soule takes over on Thunderbolts, which is awesome. And he adds Ghost Rider to the team.

All New X-Factor will start next year and the team will be part of a corporation that helps people. The only people announced for the team are Polaris, Quicksilver and Gambit.

And Monet will be joining Brian Wood's X-Men series. 

More jean grey is always good for the comic book community. I'm a happy boy/older gentleman

Can nightcrawler just stay dead? Enough of these AoA versions and re-incarnations so annoying when characters don't stay dead.

Didn't even know astonishing x-men was still around. I haven't heard shit about about since someone gay got married or something in it looks like its getting canned. Does that mean ultimate spiderman is dead? :(

So can they just get over jean killing the whole shi'ar empire? ugh that happened so long ago. FREE JEAN GREY

More Marvel News from NYCC:

Avengers World is a new series from Nick Spencer and Jonathan Hickman, though it seems to be mostly Spencer. 

Avengers: Undercover is a new series starring many of the survivors from Avengers Arena.

Loki gets his own upcoming series from Al Ewing called Loki: Agent of Asgard. Let's hope Loki is more entertaining in this than Young Avengers.

Black Widow gets her own ongoing series by Nathan Edmundson (hells yeah) and Phil Noto. 

Loki gets his own upcoming series from Al Ewing called Loki: Agent of Asgard. Let's hope Loki is more entertaining in this than Young Avengers.
I love Loki as he is in Young Avengers, I am super hopeful maybe they will split Loki into two characters.

Also, you missed some big news:
X-23 is going to be in All-New X-Men!!! Not sure I like what this cover is implying though...
detail.jpg

The problem with Loki in Young Avengers is that he is predictable. And he has been lost in the shuffle that has been the soap opera of Hulkling/Wiccan, as has most of the cast. This whole "mother" story arc is past it's expiration date. I want to see more funny team moments. 

The problem with Loki in Young Avengers is that he is predictable. And he has been lost in the shuffle that has been the soap opera of Hulkling/Wiccan, as has most of the cast.
That's kind of true, but I mean they did a whole issue recently kind of dedicated to Loki revealing
that he is trying to steal Wiccan's power for his own.
I'll agree the focus on Mother has been a bit much though, since she really isn't that interesting as a villain.

More jean grey is always good for the comic book community. I'm a happy boy/older gentleman

Can nightcrawler just stay dead? Enough of these AoA versions and re-incarnations so annoying when characters don't stay dead.
Lol at these conflicting statements.

Just picked up Flashpoint graphic novel (already saw movie) Shazzam new 52 and Amazing Spiderman The Fantastic Spiderman.

Was gonna grab Batwoman Elegy but....heard it was bad.

Just picked up Flashpoint graphic novel (already saw movie) Shazzam new 52 and Amazing Spiderman The Fantastic Spiderman.

Was gonna grab Batwoman Elegy but....heard it was bad.

Whaaaaaaat where'd ya hear that?!

Honestly, I thought the story/writing was fine; definitely above average, but not outstanding. It's well worth it to see J.H. Williams III art. That guy is insanely talented and does some really cool stuff with panel layout.

Whaaaaaaat where'd ya hear that?!

Honestly, I thought the story/writing was fine; definitely above average, but not outstanding. It's well worth it to see J.H. Williams III art. That guy is insanely talented and does some really cool stuff with panel layout.
I had never heard of it so did a quick search online for a review ha, but I may take a chance now.

Just finished Rising Stars and wow, what an awesome read.

100 Bullets was pretty good as well, but I prefer Rising Stars.

Batman and Superman was super anti-climactic though, but the art was absolutely gorgeous.

Just finished Rising Stars and wow, what an awesome read.

100 Bullets was pretty good as well, but I prefer Rising Stars.

Batman and Superman was super anti-climactic though, but the art was absolutely gorgeous.
You mean the original rising stars (from about 12 years ago) right? And yes that is a great series! Around here we call it "The original heroes". We also call "outlaw star" the original "firefly" (Joss you are a thief and you know it).

You mean the original rising stars (from about 12 years ago) right? And yes that is a great series! Around here we call it "The original heroes". We also call "outlaw star" the original "firefly" (Joss you are a thief and you know it).
Yup! One of the best things I've ever read.

I picked up where I left off in Morrison's Batman run. As of right now I'm not liking Return of Bruce Wayne at all. Things started to look up when Jonah Hex made an appearance, but then he mostly just stood around and then fired one shot at the end of the issue. This is the only chapter of the Morrison stuff I haven't liked so far, I hope I get back into it after I get past this section. 

And since I've been reading other Bat books which take place in-between all of Grant Morrison's stuff, I should probably note how surprised I am by Streets of Gotham. The Huntress/Man-Bat issues were solid, but the best part so far was definitely Zasz's fight club for kids. Seeing Damian get the crap kicked out of him and then use his own blood to make a facepaint Robin mask to fight Zasz was insane. Plus the Humpty Dumpty story where he tried to "fix" all of those dead orphans was creepy and heartbreaking all at the same time. 

Ha!

I've actually been meaning to get around to buying and reading the whole Knightfall saga... but man is that daunting, considering each volume has about 640 pages according to Amazon.

I never even got very deep into my Age of Apocalypse omnibus I got for Christmas.

I just finished re-reading the entirety of Knightfall a couple of weeks ago and though it is daunting, I must admit that it is incredibly rewarding to finish it. I worked everything JPV Bats was in into the reading order, too. Batman/Punisher is too awesome.

I Haven't read Knightfall in over a decade, but what I do remember is Kelley Jones drawing everyone as if they were 12 feet tall and all had 10 pack abs.

I just finished re-reading the entirety of Knightfall a couple of weeks ago and though it is daunting, I must admit that it is incredibly rewarding to finish it. I worked everything JPV Bats was in into the reading order, too. Batman/Punisher is too awesome.
Hmm. Well, once I finish with Morrison's run (I think the final Incorporated hardcover comes out in a couple of months?) I just may go ahead and buy into Knightfall. I'm going to need something Batman-related to read - I won't be reading Zero Year until it gets collected into hardcover(s), and I dropped Batman & Robin as soon as I heard Damian died and it was becoming a random team-up book.

Does anybody know anything about the Arkham Origins digital comic? I remember when DC2 was first announced, they said (I think) the AO tie-in was going to be an experiment of sorts, and would feature a choose-your-own-adventure level of interaction, animations, and possibly even soundtracks. But I've heard nothing about it since then, and the game drops soon.

bread's done
Back