Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

Uncanny X-Force is written by Rick Remender, the same guy writing Franken-Castle. Prepare for it to exponentially suck.

Scarlet 2 comes out tomorrow. This series has real potential, definitely worth checking out.

Shadowland 3 is also out tomorrow. This series has been consistently good. You should be reading this (along with Daredevil, same writer).

[quote name='lokizz']i cant wait for the new xforce to start theres no way that wont be an amazing comic. heres to hoping its gritty and gory. btw wtf is up with wolverine? one minute theyre saying hes a new man and wants to date this chick even goes to the extreme of telling many of the women in his life then nothing and then suddenly hes
banging domino
and now in the recent dark wolverine
hes with her again
????wtf is it are they dating or not?[/QUOTE]

lulz, when i read this on my iphone it doesn't hide the spoilers. I don't care though, thought it was funny. But yea i agree Xforce is going to be tight, hopefully.

I am kinda glad Wolverine is banging some ladies, for a second there i thought he was turning gay or something. Especially since JEan isn't around.

[quote name='GhostShark']It's going to end with Red Hulk :([/QUOTE]

I get a big smile when i see the words "end" and "red hulk" in the same sentence.

Even the last issue made no sense since Rulk beat everybody up in the beginning and now he's all weaksauce. I'm still curious where they take him though, as long as it's different artist and writers.

[quote name='neocisco']Uncanny X-Force is written by Rick Remender, the same guy writing Franken-Castle. Prepare for it to exponentially suck.

Scarlet 2 comes out tomorrow. This series has real potential, definitely worth checking out.

Shadowland 3 is also out tomorrow. This series has been consistently good. You should be reading this (along with Daredevil, same writer).[/QUOTE]

dammit now im a bit less excited. i will say this the fraken castle bits with daken have been good but i wish theyd speed it up and give him a damn body already.

shadwland has been damn good especially with this last bit with moonknight.

I guess I am the only that thinks Shadowland really sucks. Every single issue has been a cluster fuck of unnecessary action and characters. If Daredevil is really a problem just send in Thor to wreck his ass. End of story. Then again, I haven't really liked Daredevil since Andy Diggle took over.

Also, Scarlet #2 is going to be awesome. Bendis and Maleev have yet to fail when making a book. Whether it's Daredevil, Spider-Woman or the issue 26 of New Avengers with Clinton Barton and Wanda Maximoff. It's always good.

Both shows have potential, but seeing the the channels they have been signed to, doesn't give me hope.

Also, a great week for comics. Children's Crusade #2 was awesome and Taskmaster #1 was the best book of the week. Shadowland also sucked this week.

[quote name='neocisco']Fox picked up Locke & Key to adapt it into a show.[/QUOTE]

WOW :shock: that's fucking great news. I love that book. Been collecting it since it's debut. Along with Fables it's my favorite non-superhero comic.

Last issue of Dark Wolverine was weak. Probably the worst comic I read in a while. I think I'm done with Daken but I'll let his new book try to win me over with 1 issue. Also done with Hulk. World War Hulks was a huge disappointment.

As for my likes I read the first 2 arcs of Chew and love it. Spidey has been consistently good for the past several months. The Moment in Time arc still raises some questions but it makes Brand New Day make a little more sense. And has Spidey gone bi-monthly instead of tri-monthly? Looking forward to Chaos War, but Herc needs his own book back.

Any idea what Marvel is going to do with their cosmic stuff after the Thanos Imperative? I haven't heard anything about Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy coming back.

[quote name='Rodimus']Last issue of Dark Wolverine was weak. Probably the worst comic I read in a while. I think I'm done with Daken but I'll let his new book try to win me over with 1 issue. Also done with Hulk. World War Hulks was a huge disappointment.

As for my likes I read the first 2 arcs of Chew and love it. Spidey has been consistently good for the past several months. The Moment in Time arc still raises some questions but it makes Brand New Day make a little more sense. And has Spidey gone bi-monthly instead of tri-monthly? Looking forward to Chaos War, but Herc needs his own book back.

Any idea what Marvel is going to do with their cosmic stuff after the Thanos Imperative? I haven't heard anything about Nova or Guardians of the Galaxy coming back.[/QUOTE]

Herc will probably get his book book back after Chaos War as for the cosmic side of things; it's been rumored lightly that there could be a Galactic Avengers series starting up next year.

Also picked this up at a comic book convention today :3
IMG_0180.jpg

[quote name='GhostShark']Herc will probably get his book book back after Chaos War as for the cosmic side of things; it's been rumored lightly that there could be a Galactic Avengers series starting up next year.

Also picked this up at a comic book convention today :3
IMG_0180.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice statue.

Just ordered Scott Pilgrim 1-6 (discounted to $5 on amazon right now), Batman and Son, Batman: The Black Glove, and All You Need is Kill... Feel sorry for my bank account, but considering what my LCBS has to charge, it could be MUCH worse.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Does Tony Stark look like Sawyer from Lost in the Invincible Iron Man title?[/QUOTE]

Oh my god, THANKS! It was on the tip of tongue all issue 30 wondering who the hell he looked like. Major kudos to you.

It's a no-brainer. The first 48 issues of one of the best comics ever. I'm even thinking about ordering it and I own all the single issues. That's a tremendous deal!

Definitely worth it. I prefer the hardcovers but for the price per issue it's hard to argue with that edition- and the story is just as awesome.

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ordered it. And I just saw on Amazon that it's over 1,000 pages! Can't wait to start on it. I love when graphic novel/comic series have collected editions like that.

Has Kirkland or anyone else mentioned a second compendium? That is, if there's as much material out there not included in the first one. I'm not quite sure what issue it's up to at this point.

Well, the first compendium is 48 issues. The series is on issue 77 (being released this week!) and if you do the math (48+48), the second compendium would be released after issue 96. So, it will be a while before another compendium is released.

However, you can start with Volume 9 of the Trade Paperbacks. It picks up with issue 49.

[quote name='Rayeh']Just ordered Scott Pilgrim 1-6 (discounted to $5 on amazon right now), Batman and Son, Batman: The Black Glove, and All You Need is Kill... Feel sorry for my bank account, but considering what my LCBS has to charge, it could be MUCH worse.[/QUOTE]

I just grabbed the Scott Pilgrims when I saw your post. Two or three of them were even down to $3.99 or so. I got all six for around $26 shipped.

Thanos Imperative is okay, but really not much going on that we haven't seen before. The cosmic stuff of recent years reminds me of Dragon Ball Z where the situation keeps escalating to crazy proportions. First Annhilus, then Ultron leading the Phalanx, then a war between Blackbolt and Vulcan fucks up time & space, and now evil Marvel invades or dimension lead by super powerful evil Captian Marvel. It just keeps getting crazier & crazier.

[quote name='GhostShark']Well, the first compendium is 48 issues. The series is on issue 77 (being released this week!) and if you do the math (48+48), the second compendium would be released after issue 96. So, it will be a while before another compendium is released.

However, you can start with Volume 9 of the Trade Paperbacks. It picks up with issue 49.[/QUOTE]
Ah yeah, that would be a while. I'll probably just go with the trades. Thanks for the info.

What the crap happened to The Return of Bruce Wayne?

It got up to issue 3 right? And hasn't released since?

theres been a number of series of late that have stalled out like that and yeah its damn annoying. been wondering why that buck rogers series hasnt showed up on release lists in a while same thing for that nemesis mini series.

[quote name='GhostShark']Walking Dead #77 and Fantastic Four #583 = Holy fucking shit.[/QUOTE]

yeah both of those were very surprising especially ff hell even nemesis did well this week i cant wait for the conclusion.

Are there any sites comparing movies/tv shows to the original comics?

What about something to help new readers or people of thinking about reading comics?

[quote name='SithFran']Are there any sites comparing movies/tv shows to the original comics?

What about something to help new readers or people of thinking about reading comics?[/QUOTE]

I know IGN had done a few comparison articles in the past.

I started a "Breaking into Comics" series type article on the site I write at. Just look for all the articles by Andrew Parsley. Link is in the sig. Right now, I've only done three with focus on Marvel. I will be branching out sooner or later, but for now it's just Marvel.

[quote name='SithFran']What about something to help new readers or people of thinking about reading comics?[/QUOTE]

I'm not aware about any specific sites or article but I'm sure the people here can help you find something. They've helped me in the past. What do you like? There's so much great stuff out there that it shouldn't be too hard to find something to your liking.

Thanks guys, I've looked and didn't see anything so far. I asked because it was suggested by a friend to do the comparison site since he's always asking me about the comics after seeing the movie. As for the new readers, that's something of a hold over from when I was thinking of having a store.

[quote name='CouRageouS']
I don't know if anyone still watches Smallville, but the final season is here and thats what their Darkseid looks like.[/QUOTE]

i gave up on that show a long time ago. the whole love triangle thing got too annoying as did lana going all crouching tiger hidden bullshit.

yo so I was in SilverSnail picking up Scott Pilgrim because.. what else am I going to do with my $100GC i won and I see something that said Milestone on it Vol 1 and 2. Are they resurrecting Milestone? Could that mean more Static Shock?

Cause rather than trying to make Spiderman black I'd much rather just make a good movie off an actual black hero like Static.

ugh. dude. Steel was an ok character not my fav of the four Supermen but wow did they wreck shop all over that with that movie.

Actually come to think of it I haven't seen a black super hero (staring not ensemble) in an honest-to-goodness attempt at a blockbuster since Spawn. It kinda is about time to try this again.

There have been rumors of a Luke Cage movie possibly being in the works, but so far the only set in stone movie is a Nick Fury movie. But who knows when that will actually come out.

[quote name='GhostShark']There have been rumors of a Luke Cage movie possibly being in the works, but so far the only set in stone movie is a Nick Fury movie. But who knows when that will actually come out.[/QUOTE]

I feel like Luke Cage/Iron Fist would be a better fit for a tv series. Then if the series does well enough it could be spun off into a movie (without need for an 'origin' type movie).

[quote name='BlueScrote']I feel like Luke Cage/Iron Fist would be a better fit for a tv series. Then if the series does well enough it could be spun off into a movie (without need for an 'origin' type movie).[/QUOTE]

I agree there. A "Heroes For Hire" TV show has so much potential.

Avengers Academy continues to deliver. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it's just a great read. I like all the characters. In fact I find the new recruits much more interesting than the old vets like Pym, Justice & Tigra. But of course more emphasis is put on the recruits.

But someone posted an interesting question in the end of issue #4, wondering if these characters (like many other "new" teams Marvel introduces) will fall into obscurity later on. The Order did this and it was a great book. Avengers Initiative also seems to be letting their characters fade away. I loved the first few issues but damn did it suck near the end, that and the characters weren't nearly as fun to read about.

Dropped my current list of titles down to 24. I'm still enjoying Titans along with Batman & Robin. Probably my two fave series at the moment.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Zack Snyder has been confirmed as the director for the Christopher Nolan-produced Superman reboot.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

bread's done
Back