<DEAD> Dark Souls Hardcover Guide by Future Press $13.74 at Amazon OOS

[quote name='Puppet Master']Two possible scenarios I can see.

1. They managed to get them cheaper and are passing it on.
2. The strategy of trying to get new future customers through a cheap deal.

Ordered one myself even and I haven't bought a guide in at least ten years.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine Future Press made enough with the 1st printing, saw the scalpers and decided to drop the price they sell the guides to Amazon so it could be aggressively combating resellers.
They also have a small window of reprinting, as the demand for strat guides shortly after a game launch completely drops off the table.

I ordered it yesterday with something else to get free shipping. The other item was cancelled, so I asked CS if I still get free shipping. I was upgraded to one day shipping, but the CS's reply says estimated date Nov.23. Hope that's totally wrong.

I went with the Skyrim guide also, since the hard cover has free shipping.

I looked for Skyward Sword, but there is no guide for it.

[quote name='nabuch']I ordered it yesterday with something else to get free shipping. The other item was cancelled, so I asked CS if I still get free shipping. I was upgraded to one day shipping, but the CS's reply says estimated date Nov.23. Hope that's totally wrong.

I went with the Skyrim guide also, since the hard cover has free shipping.

I looked for Skyward Sword, but there is no guide for it.[/QUOTE]

Last month, when I placed an order for the DS guide, I also added the Skyrim guide to get free shipping. But since I chose the option to ship everything in one package, my ship date was towards the middle of Nov since the Skyrim guide wouldn't be available until then. So I cancelled that order and ordered the DS guide with something else (that was already available) to get free shipping. I also placed a separate order for the Skyrim guide.

[quote name='Puppet Master']Two possible scenarios I can see.

1. They managed to get them cheaper and are passing it on.
2. The strategy of trying to get new future customers through a cheap deal.

Ordered one myself even and I haven't bought a guide in at least ten years.[/QUOTE]There's a third scenario.

3. Amazon doesn't realize this is a hardcover guide, so they're pricing around the normal prices they have for their softcover guides. Since it starts out at $24.99, their pricing model may see it as a softcover guide and pricing it appropriately. I know the title lists it as a hardcover guide, though those guides are normally $19 - $26, when the MSRP on the guide is $29.99 - $34.99.

Just ordered it, cuz lords knows ima need this B!tch!

Now I'm debating if I should finish Demon Souls... I put 43 hours into that game and just surrendered a year ago. I'm at 4-2 I think, just killed the Adjudicator.. Still need to face the Old Hero.

My two copies still haven't shipped and have no shipping estimate. I used up my credit.

As far as the prime/no prime debate. I have noticed that every time one of my orders is 0.00 after credit, I always get the order much later than expected. It doesn't matter if I have prime or not. If it shows up as 0.00 it takes longer.

[quote name='shrike4242']There's a third scenario.

3. Amazon doesn't realize this is a hardcover guide, so they're pricing around the normal prices they have for their softcover guides. Since it starts out at $24.99, their pricing model may see it as a softcover guide and pricing it appropriately. I know the title lists it as a hardcover guide, though those guides are normally $19 - $26, when the MSRP on the guide is $29.99 - $34.99.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what you're saying just made me really nervous... has anyone else who ordered at this price received the guide yet and can confirm that it is in fact the hardcover version?? That would be awesome, thanks!

3. Amazon doesn't realize this is a hardcover guide, so they're pricing around the normal prices they have for their softcover guides. Since it starts out at $24.99, their pricing model may see it as a softcover guide and pricing it appropriately. I know the title lists it as a hardcover guide, though those guides are normally $19 - $26, when the MSRP on the guide is $29.99 - $34.99.[/QUOTE]

4. They had a lot of people who pre-ordered cancel do to it being unavailable at release, so they discounted it to get rid of the extra stock they had from pre-orders... And now they're out of stock. Rofl. Who knows.

[quote name='pico1']Just ordered it, cuz lords knows ima need this B!tch!

Now I'm debating if I should finish Demon Souls... I put 43 hours into that game and just surrendered a year ago. I'm at 4-2 I think, just killed the Adjudicator.. Still need to face the Old Hero.[/QUOTE]
I'm going through the game now, about 22 hours in, and I can say go finish it. I'm absolutely loving Demon Soul's my second time trying it. The first time I tried it I played it like a normal conventional game 1-1 then I figured well go to 1-2, killed the red dragon by shooting arrows at it for an hour and a half, had over 35000 souls and kept running the castle wall. I got to the end and found a fog entrance and thought "well hell I'll go in". Big mistake. Tower Knight was waiting for me and I literally had not purchased any upgrades so I ended up losing 35000 souls and threw my controller down in disgust saying "fuck this game." That was December of 2009, I just started it back up a couple months ago and I'm loving it. I will admit I cheat a little by looking at a strategy guide online every once and a while, but nothing beats the tension.

I bought this guide because it was a great deal and I know I'll get Dark Souls when I'm done with this game+ mode after I beat it the first time.

[quote name='Maynard']I'm going through the game now, about 22 hours in, and I can say go finish it. I'm absolutely loving Demon Soul's my second time trying it. The first time I tried it I played it like a normal conventional game 1-1 then I figured well go to 1-2, killed the red dragon by shooting arrows at it for an hour and a half, had over 35000 souls and kept running the castle wall. I got to the end and found a fog entrance and thought "well hell I'll go in". Big mistake. Tower Knight was waiting for me and I literally had not purchased any upgrades so I ended up losing 35000 souls and threw my controller down in disgust saying "fuck this game." That was December of 2009, I just started it back up a couple months ago and I'm loving it. I will admit I cheat a little by looking at a strategy guide online every once and a while, but nothing beats the tension.

I bought this guide because it was a great deal and I know I'll get Dark Souls when I'm done with this game+ mode after I beat it the first time.[/QUOTE]

LOL It's funny cause that is almost the same exact thing I went through. Demon's Souls is like a wine, you take a small sip to see if it's good and think "eh it's OK but not too good". You then see the same bottle of wine on your shelf 1-2 years later and say "hmmm I wonder if this aged and matured into a full body wine". And behold it has.

At least that is my experience with Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls annoyed me after the first hour or so and I put the game down. My guide will be here tomorrow, so we'll see if it helps ebb my frustration or not.

That's kind of my experience with Demon's Souls, I picked a priest to start and had used all my fire bombs on the red-eyed knight so it took me 30 minutes of running around the Phalanx picking off hoplites one at a time in order to kill the first boss. So I was like "is it always going to be like this?" Thankfully it wasn't. The first level is just the game training you with a shock collar.

I'm actually scared to start playing because I'm in the part before those damn reapers in 4-2. I forgot the controls or how the hell I even got here lol

[quote name='pico1']I'm actually scared to start playing because I'm in the part before those damn reapers in 4-2. I forgot the controls or how the hell I even got here lol[/QUOTE]

You should be able to range kill the first reaper in 4-2 by looking down between the pathways. For the one later (after the invisible giggling girls), I just take out my best damage weapon, sneak along the left wall and go to town on him (dual katanas in my case).

It's a book. Doesnt matter if it's hardcover or not, they probably get them for about 5 bucks wholesale. Could be futurepress is pricing this super low to make a bigger name for themselves in the u.s. and especially on amazon. Remember they have to compete with Brady and Prima. Plus, is it possible that cheap guides spur game sales?

[quote name='vherub']They also have a small window of reprinting, as the demand for strat guides shortly after a game launch completely drops off the table.[/QUOTE]
In the case of a game such as Dark Souls(or Demon's Souls) a guide is almost a necessity at times I would think, since gamers are so coddled by many games nowadays(including some games that allow you to lower the difficulty to super wuss level if you keep dying) that a game that actually requires strategy and patience can be quite frustrating for some.;)

i got spoiled on demons' souls. everyone said how hard it was but i was cruising with 2 blue phantoms the whole game it seemed and it was a walk in the park. im gonna try to play dark souls solo/no summons so i don't lose out on the 'damn this is so hard' experience.

argh, i ordered right when it went on sale and still not shipped....hmmm worried...

Thanks. Finally beat Shrine of Storms, on to the Valley of Defilement! I WILL conquer this before Dark Souls!!

[quote name='MaelstromB']Yeah, what you're saying just made me really nervous... has anyone else who ordered at this price received the guide yet and can confirm that it is in fact the hardcover version?? That would be awesome, thanks![/QUOTE]

Just got my 2 copies today. They are hardcovers and sealed in shrink wrap.

So apparently Gamestop doesn't take back guides even if they're sealed, don't know why. Bought it last week because I thought they weren't gonna do reprints, lo & behold Amazon wizards get more so I buy an extra & plan to use that to get a refund at fucking Gamestop.

No dice. So now I gotta return it to Amazon, basically wasting time & store credit.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']So apparently Gamestop doesn't take back guides even if they're sealed, don't know why. Bought it last week because I thought they weren't gonna do reprints, lo & behold Amazon wizards get more so I buy an extra & plan to use that to get a refund at fucking Gamestop.

No dice. So now I gotta return it to Amazon, basically wasting time & store credit.[/QUOTE]
If it's sealed, they must take it back. There's no clause in their 30-day return policy that says otherwise.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']So apparently Gamestop doesn't take back guides even if they're sealed, don't know why. Bought it last week because I thought they weren't gonna do reprints, lo & behold Amazon wizards get more so I buy an extra & plan to use that to get a refund at fucking Gamestop.

No dice. So now I gotta return it to Amazon, basically wasting time & store credit.[/QUOTE]

Um if it is sealed and within 30 days of purchase then they have to take it back as per their own guidelines.

To heap upon the last two posts, I returned one last week when I found one in better condition. Corners were bent but the wrap was intact. No problems returning it.

Will likely return that one unless the Amazon ones come in all beat up.

Yeah Gamestop should definitely take it back. However It's also a policy that they can refuse a return. Why they'd do that though in a case like that I dunno.

Got my guide from Amazon, and all the corners are bent significantly. *sigh* It came in that cardboard wrap-around, rather than a box with bubble-wrap, which is likely the issue.

[quote name='slowdive21']My two copies still haven't shipped and have no shipping estimate. I used up my credit.

As far as the prime/no prime debate. I have noticed that every time one of my orders is 0.00 after credit, I always get the order much later than expected. It doesn't matter if I have prime or not. If it shows up as 0.00 it takes longer.[/QUOTE]

Mine still hasn't shipped, either. Looks like that Free Super Saver Shipping won't make its projected delivery date. ....waiting....waiting....waiting....

I never should have cancelled my original pre-order, they said it would be in stock today, now they are saying its out of stock again and do not know when its coming...

Wow, this is surprising. I got my Red Dead Redemption and Dark Souls guides rather quickly... each took 2 days, even though I no longer have Prime. The Dark Souls guide is kinda dinged up though...

[quote name='MrBoss']Anyone think these would be reprinted? They hardly reprint guides unless 1st party game I assume.[/QUOTE]

Someone posted that FuturePress's facebook page said they were doing another print run.

I got my guide today, ordered it on Oct 8. It was sealed in a pretty oversized box with a few of those air pouches tossed in. Luckily it looked like the air pouches were enough to keep it pressed down and it caught on an edge on the box, the plastic protected the exposed page edge, and it couldn't move around much. Almost perfect condition.

Got mine today also.

One thing I'm disappointed in is that supposedly someone with the guide got all 41 rare weapons for the trophy listed in the guide and they didn't get the trophy. I wonder how much mis-information is in the guide :/

I got it mainly for getting everything in my NG+. I already beat it without a guide but I know a missed a bunch of stuff and killed a couple NPCs by accident.

I got my order today as well and the first copy that was on top was in perfect shape. But the one underneath has dings on the front and back covers on the top corners.

I may chat with someone at Amazon in a bit to see if I can get a $5-10 credit for the not so perfect condition guide. If they don't offer a credit, then I guess the dinged one will be my read copy while the mint one will stay shrink wrapped.

mine didn't ship and now I have to wait until next week at the earliest. Lame considering I ordered while they had them in stock AND I have Prime...

[quote name='Donut2922']My Amazon order came in dented in the corners. Good thing I bought one at Gamestop. I'll just return the Amazon one there.[/QUOTE]

The problem with GameStop ones is if they're put on the wire racks: then they end up with those nasty little indentations on the bottom edges. :cry:

I got my guide from Amazon the other day and I finally got a little time look through some of it and start playing. This is the first guide I've ever bought and I must say, it was worth it! It's got way more info than I thought would be in it. I heard Future Press guides are awesome and I have to agree. Too bad being online while I play the game causes lots of momentary freezing and slowdown :whistle2:/

Got mine in today, unlike most I bought it and opened it, just my preference as I always found it crazy to keep that which are meant to be played (games) and guides sealed. Again, just my preference as I can see how the collectors value etc is when it remains sealed.

I will say the guide is pretty cool, almost overwhelming, it reminds me of a textbook from college the way its laid out lol.

Either way 13$ with free ship = win

I got my guide in today. the corner are a bit crooked, but it doesn't bother me that much.

By the way, did anyone else notice the error on the guide's insert? It gave me a good laugh.

5hibd.jpg

[quote name='apathylad']By the way, did anyone else notice the error on the guide's insert?

5hibd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I caught that not long after removing the shrink wrap. :lol:

bread's done
Back