Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

[quote name='botticus']Welp, won the shirt and soundtrack so far. One more for the game and DSi![/QUOTE]

Glad to see you made it to the third round too.

Ugh...responded at 4 minutes after the e-mail was sent (I didn't look hard enough on my search - it was between slimy and she it took me a while to find it)...probably out of it for the DSi, but it was a fun contest.

Good Luck to kitlink and botticus!

I hesitated a bit since I didn't recognize She-Slime either, but I still got in after about 30 seconds. Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

I definitely missed something because I have no idea what's going on.

Remember you can get Club Nintendo points for this game, including an Intend to Buy (which reminds me, I have to go do that now). It'd be a good way to start off the new Club Nintendo year.

[quote name='KingBroly']I definitely missed something because I have no idea what's going on.

Remember you can get Club Nintendo points for this game, including an Intend to Buy (which reminds me, I have to go do that now). It'd be a good way to start off the new Club Nintendo year.[/QUOTE]
Trivia contest from Nintendo:

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, on the one hand I have no chance, but on the other hand, there are apparently only 200 recipients, so I have a chance!

I don't like it how 25 people will win everything, 25 other people will win 2 out of 3 prizes, and 50 other people will get the shirt. But at least I already got a poster consolation prize.[/QUOTE]

And yes, I've already done significantly better than I expected, even if I don't win the big prize.

[quote name='wjhard63']Ugh...responded at 4 minutes after the e-mail was sent (I didn't look hard enough on my search - it was between slimy and she it took me a while to find it)...probably out of it for the DSi, but it was a fun contest.

Good Luck to kitlink and botticus![/QUOTE]

I managed to get mine in just before 1:01 eastern. I've been studying DQ 9 as well as general DQ trivia for the past month. Good luck to everyone else who answered.

[quote name='glemtvapen']How do the DLC quests work? Is it only available for the DSi?

I only have a DS lite.[/QUOTE]

They are available for any DS AFAIK. Definitely not DSi-only.

[quote name='2DMention']I wonder if the US version will have any DL quests?[/QUOTE]
They're all on the cart, like Layton's downloadable puzzles. The download just unlocks them.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Okay, botticus. I have to know how you're getting all this sweet stuff. Are you a member of the Square Enix club or something?[/QUOTE]
:lol: Random email from Golin Harris through Club Nintendo (based on survey responses/game registrations? who knows). 200 people were selected, many from DQ fan sites. The first 100 people who correctly answered the first trivia question via email won a shirt. Out of those 100, the first 50 the next week won a soundtrack. Out of those 50, the first 25 last week won the game and DSi (likely the pastel blue one).

Deadline for victory last week was apparently under one minute. Probably closer to a 45 second cut-off.

[quote name='botticus']Looks like a winner of game and system is me! Anyone else score a return email?[/QUOTE]

:applause: Well played! Congrats!

Nice work Botticus!

I am definitely planning on getting this one. Guess I'll finally have to get my DS wifi working with my new router. Although the shared dungeons/items is all local only right? I don't think I have any friends who have DS's and will be playing this...

[quote name='botticus']:lol: Random email from Golin Harris through Club Nintendo (based on survey responses/game registrations? who knows). 200 people were selected, many from DQ fan sites. The first 100 people who correctly answered the first trivia question via email won a shirt. Out of those 100, the first 50 the next week won a soundtrack. Out of those 50, the first 25 last week won the game and DSi (likely the pastel blue one).

Deadline for victory last week was apparently under one minute. Probably closer to a 45 second cut-off.[/QUOTE]

shocked there isnt an outcry like the amazon deals .. saying it was unfair cause people were at work school ect should of been a random drawing then instead of making someone sit in front of their pc all day waiting for the next question.. then again since it was a small pool that is probally way there isnt an outcry.

Im happy enough with getting it for 26.25 at gamestop

[quote name='botticus']:lol: Random email from Golin Harris through Club Nintendo (based on survey responses/game registrations? who knows). 200 people were selected, many from DQ fan sites. The first 100 people who correctly answered the first trivia question via email won a shirt. Out of those 100, the first 50 the next week won a soundtrack. Out of those 50, the first 25 last week won the game and DSi (likely the pastel blue one).

Deadline for victory last week was apparently under one minute. Probably closer to a 45 second cut-off.[/QUOTE]

That's really awesome! Major major congrats!

[quote name='botticus']Looks like a winner of game and system is me! Anyone else score a return email?[/QUOTE]

Congrats, dude! I'm very happy for you/jealous of you! You seem like a nice guy from your responses here (and some responses I remember from some of my various Nintendo game posts), so it's nice to know that a nice guy didn't finish last this time!

I knew I was out of it with my late submission, so no shocker on being out of the top 25 for getting the grand prize, but I did get my t-shirt today. Not picking up any chicks with it, but I think my wife and daughter are fine with that. It is nice for a free shirt, though I'm not sure that I'll ever wear it. Hopefully the soundtrack will be here at the end of the week.

Mission accomplished, Nintendo/GolinHarris. I wasn't sure about picking up this game until it was a deal of the day or heavily discounted (due to a huge DS backlog), but this contest has really piqued my interest in it (classes and challenging difficulty), so hopefully I can get a deal in July on this or I may burn my Best Buy GC's on it at full price.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wjhard63']Congrats, dude! I'm very happy for you/jealous of you! You seem like a nice guy from your responses here (and some responses I remember from some of my various Nintendo game posts), so it's nice to know that a nice guy didn't finish last this time!

I knew I was out of it with my late submission, so no shocker on being out of the top 25 for getting the grand prize, but I did get my t-shirt today. Not picking up any chicks with it, but I think my wife and daughter are fine with that. It is nice for a free shirt, though I'm not sure that I'll ever wear it. Hopefully the soundtrack will be here at the end of the week.

Mission accomplished, Nintendo/GolinHarris. I wasn't sure about picking up this game until it was a deal of the day or heavily discounted (due to a huge DS backlog), but this contest has really piqued my interest in it (classes and challenging difficulty), so hopefully I can get a deal in July on this or I may burn my Best Buy GC's on it at full price.[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

I actually threw on the shirt yesterday. Fits pretty well though it could probably do to be shrunk slightly in the wash. My wife was amused by the party slime. Nice quality shirt, in any case.

[quote name='slidecage']shocked there isnt an outcry like the amazon deals .. [/QUOTE]
Well...the pool of DQ fans in the US is only just a bit larger than the 200 to whom the contest was offered so just about everyone got something they loved.

Sigh.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Well...the pool of DQ fans in the US is only just a bit larger than the 200 to whom the contest was offered so just about everyone got something they loved.

Sigh.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo seems determined to change that the way they've been marketing the game. I saw the first national TV spot last night, complete with narration from Seth Green.

If the game doesn't sell well, it certainly won't be blamed on Nintendo, they're doing a fantastic job of marketing.

I'm playing Dragon Quest V DS now, and I'm loving it. I love the traditional role-playing game, and the addition of recruiting monsters is a wonderful variation on the core gameplay. Years ago, I loved Dragon Warrior Monsters far more than Pokémon, although I admit Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker was a letdown.

The franchise is so rich, but I think traditional RPGs are largely a thing of the past. While I love them, modern gamers have been entrenched in far larger, open-world games, and level-grinding isn't so much appreciated as abhorred.

Anyhow, I'll certainly be getting DQIX. I've even been thinking of getting the Dragon Quest Swords Wii game. I just love bashing slimes. :bouncy:

[quote name='bvharris']If the game doesn't sell well, it certainly won't be blamed on Nintendo, they're doing a fantastic job of marketing.[/QUOTE]
I'm holding out hope for 500k but I'd be willing to bet Nintendo+SE want to clear at least a million. We'll see what happens.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I've even been thinking of getting the Dragon Quest Swords Wii game. I just love bashing slimes. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]
It's a bit crap, and this is coming from someone whose played every mainline and every side-story DQ game (except IX) and loved almost all of them. The main problem is that the game is played with the pointer instead of the 'motion' part of the Wii remote. Instead of swinging like a sword you have to slash while holding the controller perfectly straight. The characters are flat and there's really not much of a leveling system or inventory to speak of. It is novel to play through the DQ world in first person (on rails) but that gets pretty old pretty quick.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I'm holding out hope for 500k but I'd be willing to bet Nintendo+SE want to clear at least a million. We'll see what happens.
[/QUOTE]

Well I'm sure they figure the fans of the series are buying this no matter what, so they're obviously making a hard play at the casual audience. Here's the commercial if anyone hasn't seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGKR1Jgj7W4

I actually think it's pretty clever, and works at what they're aiming for. It remains to be seen how well this marketing strategy will work, but if it sells well I'm all for it.

[quote name='2DMention']Post a pic of the shirt![/QUOTE]
Not my pic:

DSCN0188.jpg

Dammit! I wish I would've known about that contest!

Looks like Best Buy has a bonus hat for buying it with the gamer zone rewards program

[quote name='2DMention']Dammit! I wish I would've known about that contest!

Looks like Best Buy has a bonus hat for buying it with the gamer zone rewards program[/QUOTE]

...Is it a slime hat?

[quote name='2DMention']
Looks like Best Buy has a bonus hat for buying it with the gamer zone rewards program[/QUOTE]

I didn't see any mention of this on the site, do you have a link for it?

I'm actually thinking of canceling my Amazon order and pre-ordering from Gamestop instead so I can get it on the 11th.

Got the soundtrack in the mail yesterday. I shouldn't be surprised, but after all the crappy 6-song soundtracks we tend to get in the US, they sent the full 2-disc Japanese soundtrack. With it, I realized I had like a dozen soundtracks that hadn't been opened yet, so I did so and ripped all of them last night so I might actually listen to them.

That's f'in lame that they don't have the hat in stores.

Just watch, they'll forget to send it to you.

Well, looks like I won't be using my $5 coupon at Target, then.

Yeah, I agree the hat looks kind of lame. The only reason I'm considering dropping my Amazon pre-order is the Sunday release, since I could pick it up in-store at GS on day 1.

The hat almost looked photoshopped it's so lame.

It's still dragon quest, and I'm a sucker for any merchandise, no matter what it is.

Too bad DQ merchandise is so hard to get in the U.S.
There's tons in japan, you'd think it would be easy to get.

Edit: $34.99? We still have to pay a $5 Square tax?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats botticus. I didn't make it :cry: , but from what I've been reading on other forums I was only off by a few seconds.

Keeping it to only 30 autographs is kind of tight. Should be at least 100. What is it, like an extra 20 minutes of his life?

[quote name='kitlink']Congrats botticus. I didn't make it :cry: , but from what I've been reading on other forums I was only off by a few seconds.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear it, kitlink. I had hoped both of my CAG brethen in the contest would've gotten the grand prize (I knew I was out for sure). Oh well, maybe we can look for another contest from Nintendo on something this fall. At least the shirt and the CD aren't bad consolation prizes.

[quote name='kitlink']Congrats botticus. I didn't make it :cry: , but from what I've been reading on other forums I was only off by a few seconds.[/QUOTE]
Ah, that's a bummer. Yeah, I was in around 30-35 seconds, and I think the cut off was 45-50 seconds or so.

It's nice that everyone got at least one prize though (poster) and many got a lot more.

bread's done
Back