Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

[quote name='2DMention']The hat almost looked photoshopped it's so lame.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the hat is so bad. Slimes are just so iconic to the series. :D

Nice commercial. Nice to see they're really pushing this game.

I think they're trying to appeal to women with that commercial.

There's a pretty good writeup in Nintendo Power about the game too. Review gave it 9/10

Review embargo lifts 12noon tomorrow CST.

Hm, I went to Costco, and I noticed that they were advertising Dragon Quest IX in the video games section. This seems to imply that they will have it at or near launch, which is good to know since they usually knock a couple bucks off of the price.

Also, this is a good time to remind everyone that Kmart will have a launch deal for DQIX, a $10 gaming coupon and 50% off select games:
[quote name='SHC-Gamer']
  • Dragon Quest IX ($10 Gaming Coupon + Featured titles 50% off w/purchase)
    • Transformers Cybertron: Autobots
    • Transformers Cybertron: Decepticons
    • Mega Man Zero Collection
    • Toy Story 3
    • Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
    • Pokemon: Heart Gold
    • Pokemon: Soul Silver
    • New Super Mario Brothers
    • Sonic and Seaga All-Stars Racing
    • Deca Sports
    • Iron Man 2
    • The Last Air Bender
    • Rabbids Go Home
    • Club Penguin 2
    • Bakugan
[/quote]

[quote name='cochesecochese']Did a line start forming at the Nintendo World Store yet?[/QUOTE]

Not since last night at 6:00 although I'm sure that isn't the case anymore.

A little off topic though, there was a line for this morning's Lady Gaga's concert.

I really like that commercial (liked the first one too). I'd say moreso than marketing it to women they're trying to market it to tweens/young adults. I read an article which said they were hoping it would take off in the more casual side of the Pokemon audience, which I suppose is possible.

While Pokemon appeals to a casual audience, a big number of people are really deep into Pokemon. Dragon Quest is not really a casual RPG, especially some of the finer aspects (grinding for levels/money, saving, etc.)

[quote name='KingBroly']While Pokemon appeals to a casual audience, a big number of people are really deep into Pokemon. Dragon Quest is not really a casual RPG, especially some of the finer aspects (grinding for levels/money, saving, etc.)[/QUOTE]

I know that obviously, but they're certainly marketing it that way, aren't they?

Glad to see the reviews are largely so positive, though it's certainly unsurprising. We'll have to wait and see how well it sells.

Cool, I'll definitely try to hit mine up for that. On a more general note, does anyone know of a website or other mechanism that people are planning to use to trade maps via tag mode? I don't think I'll ever get any stuff without specifically meeting people to tag.

[quote name='Demon Soul']I love the old school rpg style, but I think I read there are no random battles? Looking forward to Sunday.[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard I think there are random encounters on the boat but that's it.

Douchey McDoucherson still gave it an 8 despite his whiny comments.

Well, 4 people in GAF were saying that Target and Wally*Mart were breaking street dates, so I went crusin', but no luck.

Do you guys think Best Buy will match the gift card promo? I'm cautiously optimistic.

It also sucks that Best Buy opens at 10am and Gamestop doesn't open until 11am. I don't want to wait around for Gamestop to open so I can get the strategy guide.

[quote name='2DMention']Well, 4 people in GAF were saying that Target and Wally*Mart were breaking street dates, so I went crusin', but no luck.

Do you guys think Best Buy will match the gift card promo? I'm cautiously optimistic.

It also sucks that Best Buy opens at 10am and Gamestop doesn't open until 11am. I don't want to wait around for Gamestop to open so I can get the strategy guide.[/QUOTE]

My best buy doesn't price match gift cards so I'll be going to Toys R Us.

I've got Best Buy giftcards so I'm locked in there. Plus an extra hour early sounds good to me! They should've released this game today, or tomorrow morning at the latest, so we'd have all weekend to play it.

Very interesting GameInformer article, Cao Cao, thanks for posting it. Dragon Quest meets Oblivion meets Diablo, oh hell yes!

[quote name='keithp']
Very interesting GameInformer article, Cao Cao, thanks for posting it. Dragon Quest meets Oblivion meets Diablo, oh hell yes![/QUOTE]

That was exactly my reaction when I read it. If you combine the amount of time those three franchises combined have sucked out of my life, it would be staggering. Sunday morning can't come soon enough.

But one of Dragon Quest IX's most troubling issues comes from this focus on multiplayer gameplay and what it means for the game's narrative. When playing Dragon Quest IX on your own, your party will be a bunch of created characters with no personality whatsoever. As these characters have no dialogue to offer, the characters you journey with won't develop emotionally as you play. I'll admit that I did grow attached to certain non-playable characters like the sassy fairy Stella, but it's not enough to keep me emotionally invested in the experience
Sounds like the IGN reviewer has never played Etrian Odyssey, or any number of games that do this. I find myself getting more attached to a group of characters I create from the start that are mute, then characters with personalities that (more often than not) tend to be irritating (especially in a JRPG).

I'm far more interested now than I was before, but that's the only positive thing about this review. How is the length and, more importantly, the difficulty?

Has the guy played a Dragon Quest game before? What "Hero" of Dragon Quest has EVER had a personality? Another example: Zelda. Link has a personality since when?

I'd personally rather have characters with no personality than a whole bunch of emo characters.

Also, the game's story is apparently 20 hours, but has like 300 hours of total content or something like that because of tag mode.

[quote name='keithp']IGN's review really stinks. I don't think the reviewer likes old-school RPGs.[/QUOTE]

We must've read different reviews. 8 is good, hell the rating even says "impressive". It's a critic's job to be well, critical.

Edit-Also Dragon Quest VIII had great characters. Sure, the protagonist is a mute, but the rest of the cast more than makes up for it.

[quote name='2DMention']Well, 4 people in GAF were saying that Target and Wally*Mart were breaking street dates, so I went crusin', but no luck.

It also sucks that Best Buy opens at 10am and Gamestop doesn't open until 11am. I don't want to wait around for Gamestop to open so I can get the strategy guide.[/QUOTE]

My gamestop doesn't open til noon on sundays, and that's where I have it reserved.

I had a dream about this game's release last night. That I was so excited for it and couldn't wait for Amazon to deliver it, and was going to stores thinking they might break street dates, and was thinking of waiting in line for a midnight release. Then my mom, who I've been having problems with, ended up getting me a limited edition slime DSi and the game. Nice dream. :lol:

In reality, I went to possibly change my shipping on Amazon to overnight, and it's already Shipping Soon. That's a good sign.

:D

Games-1.jpg

I've never been so happily rudely awoken.

[quote name='botticus']

I've never been so happily rudely awoken.[/QUOTE]

:hot:

Give us impressions of the game when you've played it!

[quote name='botticus']:D

That's awesome, congrats! And yeah, let us know what you think of DQ IX ;)

[quote name='botticus']:D

Games-1.jpg

Congrats!

I just got back from the Ninty World launch party; will post pics shortly. (ETA: posted)

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I'm glad they did away with the rotating map from IV and V. I've gotten sick of that after some older PS2 RPGs.

Did the other games ever tell you exp till next level? I don't see that anywhere and it saddens me.

[quote name='botticus']So far I'm glad they did away with the rotating map from IV and V. I've gotten sick of that after some older PS2 RPGs.

Did the other games ever tell you exp till next level? I don't see that anywhere and it saddens me.[/QUOTE]

It's always been one of the things you could do in the church, I'd assume it's the same in IX. No idea why they haven't put it in the attributes yet, just tradition I guess.

what will be VERY NICE but doubt i can get a TRU worker to do it

Pick up

Dragon quest 9 for 35
HOT SHOTS tennis psp for 20

USE the 10 off 50 coupon i got in the mail knocking total down to 45 (some are saying DQ9 is only going to show 20 cause 15 is going to be gift card)

Take that hot shot tennis to goozex for 800 pts

So for 45 bucks i would end up with

Dragon quest 9
800 Goozex points
15 buck gift card

take the gift card away 30 bucks

Dragon quest 9 and 800 goozex pts .. pick up 3 good games

end up with 4 very nice games for around 35 bucks :)

I don't think many places had midnight releases on it, but then I wouldn't know. Since it's Sunday though... most stores won't open until 10-11am. I will probably head down to Best Buy in about an hour or two in the hopes it's out on shelves.

[quote name='botticus']So far I'm glad they did away with the rotating map from IV and V. I've gotten sick of that after some older PS2 RPGs.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely loathe rotating maps. ~_~

I'm trying to time my departure exactly so I can arrive at the GS I pre-ordered it from at 11 when it opens.. Which means I should leave right about... now.

My Amazon order shipped, should be here Tuesday at the latest. Fingers crossed for Monday. I'm replaying DQ4 and I'm doing the bonus dungeon right now so it should arrive just in time...

Picked up my copy. Unfortunately Best Buy didn't have it out, but I had to make a trip to Home Depot which was near a Gamestop where I picked up a copy.

Gonna pick a copy up at Target this week if they have some still left.
Only $20 as you get a $15 GiftCard with it.
Lotta great deals for this game, can't wait.

Got it at Toys R Us. Best Buy didn't match it.

I find it to be pretty slow so far. I still haven't gotten any pt members or class change yet.

The graphics are slightly better than I thought, but are a step backwards from 8.

[quote name='adriley313']Gonna pick a copy up at Target this week if they have some still left.
Only $20 as you get a $15 GiftCard with it.
Lotta great deals for this game, can't wait.[/QUOTE]

That's at TRU, not Target.

bread's done
Back