Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

[quote name='botticus']So far I'm glad they did away with the rotating map from IV and V. I've gotten sick of that after some older PS2 RPGs.

Did the other games ever tell you exp till next level? I don't see that anywhere and it saddens me.[/QUOTE]

Its in the church under divination when you talk to the priest that lets you save. Thats how it was in last DQs I remember.

Just started playing my copy :D

After seeing the saiyan hair style, am I the only one who made a Dragon Ball character?

I made his eyes mean looking, his hair gold and named him Vegeta. God I'm such a geek...

[quote name='Demon Soul']Its in the church under divination when you talk to the priest that lets you save. Thats how it was in last DQs I remember.[/QUOTE]

It's divination, yeah. It only tells you the exp required until your next level though. If someone really wants to, they can just take the exp charts on GameFAQs that list exp required for every class/vocation.

I've played a couple of hours so far. It starts pretty slow, and extremely easy. I remember getting my butt kicked at the beginning of VIII, but I have had no trouble with anything I've fought yet, including the first boss.

[quote name='keithp']I've played a couple of hours so far. It starts pretty slow, and extremely easy. I remember getting my butt kicked at the beginning of VIII, but I have had no trouble with anything I've fought yet, including the first boss.[/QUOTE]

Second boss didn't provide me with any trouble either, but it did
one-hit one of my party members the very first round. Of course they didn't get full exp either, but instead a lousy 10%.

[quote name='Draekon']It's divination, yeah. It only tells you the exp required until your next level though. If someone really wants to, they can just take the exp charts on GameFAQs that list exp required for every class/vocation.[/QUOTE]

I've found the Priest class can also learn a divination ability which allows you to do it anywhere.

Just found out that I don't have a local Toy R Us near me
So looks like ill be going to Kmart to get my copy.
Guess $10 is better than none

About 8.5 hours in now. Finally decided to take a break so I can record some impressions.

1) I definitely don't mind having to roll my own party, in fact I prefer it. I feel way more attached to characters I made myself than just random people I meet along the way. Plus, this way I'm free to sculpt them as I please.

2) The equipment interface is every bit as awesome as I'd hoped. Mixing and matching equipment is given a whole new dimension thanks to being able to see all the equipment on characters. A few times I've found myself not upgrading to a higher defense because something wouldn't look good on one of my characters.

3) Dovetailing from that, the game looks great. Definitely the best graphics I've seen on the DS. Obviously it doesn't look as good as VIII, but I could easily be playing a solid PS2 game, which is quite something.

4) The only complaint I have so far is not the game's fault, but the wireless in my building isn't compatible with the DS, so I haven't been able to get online. Granted, the tag mode stuff doesn't work with wi-fi anyway, but it would be cool to at least try the shop stuff. I'll probably bring my DS to work and try it there. It's pretty clear there's a big emphasis on multiplayer stuff, but I haven't found that it detracts from the single player at all.

5) I've spent too long away (like 10 minutes, tops), I need to go back. That's how good it is. :drool:

I've noticed that with DQ games I don't really tend to feel like I'm playing the greatest game ever, but then I realize I played it for 6 hours in a day. So yeah.

Anyone know when class changing opens up?

[quote name='botticus']
Anyone know when class changing opens up?[/QUOTE]

Spoiler tagging this, just in case:

Maybe about 7-10 hours in, depending on how quickly you're playing through. You return to the Observatory and then when you get back there's one more quest you have to do and then you can change classes. You can only change to the starting 6 at first, and there are quests to unlock the others.

I really like the class change system, using it wisely really seems like it'll allow you to build pretty sick characters.

[quote name='bvharris']Spoiler tagging this, just in case:

Maybe about 7-10 hours in, depending on how quickly you're playing through. You return to the Observatory and then when you get back there's one more quest you have to do and then you can change classes. You can only change to the starting 6 at first, and there are quests to unlock the others.
[/QUOTE]

To be a little more specific event wise it's the next event/story quest after you complete
the cursed town, Coffinwell.

[quote name='bvharris']Spoiler tagging this, just in case:

I really like the class change system, using it wisely really seems like it'll allow you to build pretty sick characters.[/QUOTE]
Thanks - just got that before reading this anyway. :D

Think I switch my minstrel into a warrior and leave the rest alone for now.

[quote name='botticus']Thanks - just got that before reading this anyway. :D

Think I switch my minstrel into a warrior and leave the rest alone for now.[/QUOTE]

I switched him to a thief so I can continue building up his sword skills on the cheap (the skill trees carry over if they're shared between the classes).

The class system is really done wonderfully, it's going to add a ton to the length of the game building up characters, and it's very rewarding.

My current team is my thief, a priest, a warrior and a martial artist. I've eschewed a Mage because I always tend to find offensive magic mostly useless in DQ.

The game is still pretty easy, but then I've been grinding a lot.

DQ002.jpg

T-U-R-T-L-E POWER!

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Does this seem worth paying full price for?[/QUOTE]

I'd say if you already like Dragon Quest, then definitely! I'm loving the game. If you haven't played DQ before and aren't sure from the reviews, then try one of the older games first.

When do you get access to the wi-fi shop? It's supposed to be in the Quester's Inn, right?

I'm up to
Alltrades Abbey

I have access to the alchemy pot and the online shop, but it's been after the last few sections. I had some pretty cool stuff in my shop, a dangerous bustier (!?) some alchemy stuff and strong medicine. They say check everyday at 8am. Is that central or pacific?

I like how you don't have to wait for alchemy pot stuff, but the guide isn't very friendly for it like it was for 8. You have to hunt for everything.

Does this seem worth paying full price for?

If you like Dragon Quest or JRPGs, definitely. If you're on the fence, I would also suggest you try IV first. It's shorter, and more readily available than V.

[quote name='2DMention']I have access to the alchemy pot and the online shop, but it's been after the last few sections. I had some pretty cool stuff in my shop, a dangerous bustier (!?) some alchemy stuff and strong medicine. They say check everyday at 8am. Is that central or pacific?[/QUOTE]

I just checked and it's 8:25 A.M. eastern and the store has changed. So I assume it's eastern. Don't remember when I specifically had checked yesterday though. So I guess it's entirely possible that I'm still looking at yesterdays. Will probably double check in a couple hours to be certain.

I emptied my shop yesterday, so we'll see if there's anything new yet.

Edit: Or not, forgot I don't have my work Wi-Fi settings.

Edit: Or maybe I do! Yep, new goodies, so it's either Eastern or Central and I'd put my guess at Eastern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Argh, I'm envious of all of y'all who are already so far into the game. I finally got some time to crack mine open last night, but I only played about 30 mins and much of that was just running around talking to Celestrians, so it wasn't too great. I'm looking forward to getting into the meat of the game.

Same here Backlash, but I think I finally got to the real part of the game. Then I Quick Saved, but now my sister is playing that save file I think.... Aww crap.

I just got my copy of the game, but I'm going to start playing it tomorrow as I need to beat Dragon Quest V still. I'm right at the end, though; so it shouldn't take that long.

Also, can someone tell me how downloading the WFC quests works?

[quote name='KingBroly']I just got my copy of the game, but I'm going to start playing it tomorrow as I need to beat Dragon Quest V still. I'm right at the end, though; so it shouldn't take that long.

Also, can someone tell me how downloading the WFC quests works?[/QUOTE]

Once you unlock it, you talk to the NPC that initiates wi-fi. Once it connects, it checks the date/time from your last download and the current date/time. If it's different and past 8A.M. eastern of the next day, it'll download a randomized store that you can purchase items from. It can be virtually anything as far as I've noticed and the amount you can buy of each is limited. Plus it's only one page long (which is about seven items I think?).

Everybody post pics of your pt members and what comes up for you in the WFC store everyday!

I unlocked the Armamentalist job last night. Kind of a tough quest, but manageable.

They should have made this game playable over wifi for multi player for the US release. Local Wifi works good for Japan, but the U.S. is much more spread out.

The only other turn-based multi player RPGs I can think of are Super Ninja Boy for SNES and Little Ninja Brothers for NES.

Can't wait to get home from work to play some more!

Enemies have raised in difficulty a bit after I acquired the boat (Heck, the first boss I fought after I acquired it could nearly one-hit any character in my party. I feel like I skipped a story area or two...). Wish I could find a good way to make some gold where I'm at as my equipment pretty much blows. Guess I should take the next couple of skill ups on my thief to learn steal...

Got my first treasure map too.

[quote name='Draekon']Enemies have raised in difficulty a bit after I acquired the boat (Heck, the first boss I fought after I acquired it could nearly one-hit any character in my party. I feel like I skipped a story area or two...). Wish I could find a good way to make some gold where I'm at as my equipment pretty much blows. Guess I should take the next couple of skill ups on my thief to learn steal...

Got my first treasure map too.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it gets harder. I'm 8 hours in and just got to
Alltrades Abbey
I fought my first couple of metal slimes last night. They were easy, too, now that I think about it. Got about 1k experience from each, though.

[quote name='keithp']I fought my first couple of metal slimes last night. They were easy, too, now that I think about it. Got about 1k experience from each, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, metal slimes give 4096 experience but run fairly frequently. The next ones you come across, metal medley, give 12288 experience and have twice the health as metal slimes. Only fought one medley so far though, so I can't comment on its flee rate.

[quote name='Draekon']Yeah, metal slimes give 4096 experience but run fairly frequently. The next ones you come across, metal medley, give 12288 experience and have twice the health as metal slimes. Only fought one medley so far though, so I can't comment on its flee rate.[/QUOTE]

Pretty high, but I spent a few hours grinding them and managed to kill about 1 out of 3. Getting them to show up in the first place is the annoying part.

Where are metal slimes, btw? I missed them entirely, the first ones I saw were the Medleys (at which point I realized I'd missed their more diminutive cousins).

Anyone know where I could buy the guide for cheap? This is one of those games where you actually going to need one to hunt for alchemy items and locate quest missions. GameFAQs is still pretty barren on the FAQs. :whistle2:?

Also where did you fought the metal medleys? I just got the boat and just roaming around grinding.

[quote name='bvharris']Where are metal slimes, btw? I missed them entirely, the first ones I saw were the Medleys (at which point I realized I'd missed their more diminutive cousins).[/QUOTE]

They were in the dungeon that was associated with
Coffinwell

[quote name='glemtvapen']Also where did you fought the metal medleys? I just got the boat and just roaming around grinding.[/QUOTE]

They're in
Bad Cave

Just maxed out the sword skill (accomplished by pouring pretty much everything into it and switching classes several times). Haven't yet figured out the best way to use the ability to use swords with any class, but I'll come up with something I'm sure.

Bad idea playing this one right after a replay of IVDS. The battles move slower than molasses compared to that game. GAF was not exaggerating on this one. Also some of the customization choices are ridiculously limited. I can't make a character with black hair? WTF?

[quote name='Dead of Knight'] I can't make a character with black hair? WTF?[/QUOTE]

I thought black was a choice? Either that or it was a dark brown and I'm remembering wrong.

I can't wait to get my cop 2moro now
ou guys have hyped me up to buy it.

I always find with inger DS games that a guide is very helpful.
I have the one for DQ4 and DQM:Joker which helped a lot, but dont know where to get it cheap. Will have to hit some pawn shops while im out 2moro.

Can't wait to make my fun character.
DO they have silver hair?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Bad idea playing this one right after a replay of IVDS. The battles move slower than molasses compared to that game. GAF was not exaggerating on this one. Also some of the customization choices are ridiculously limited. I can't make a character with black hair? WTF?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find more stuff you can hate about it. :lol:

My main peeves are the lack of unique party members with stories, background, etc. Also the fact that if you try to boost up a single character who just switched classes, their experienced earned is based upon his level in comparison to the rest of your parties levels.

Writing is top notch though. ;)

[quote name='keithp']I thought black was a choice? Either that or it was a dark brown and I'm remembering worng.[/QUOTE]

They have a light brown and a darker brown, but still nothing close to black.

I have a question. In the armor shop, when you are buying armor, on the lower screen it just shows defece (or deftness, depending on the item). Thats great, but if you are buying something that has magical might/healing, it doesnt show the upgrade from what you have on now.

For my mage and priest, it really sucks going out into your inventory, calculating how much magical might/healing there is on that piece, go back in the store, and finding if its a worthwhile upgrade or not.

Is there anyway to see that?

I'm beginning to hate bosses now. "Hey, lets spam group attacks that take anywhere from 1/3rd to 1/2 of their parties health constantly! Then when not doing group attacks, we'll just crit-kill a random party member!"

Is there a party wide heal that a priest gets and at what level? ~_~

EDIT: fuck, that boss raped me. Time to go grind for money and experience for a little bit. God knows I'm probably underlevel because I avoid battles a lot in games.

What's even worse about the group attacks is that insulate is now single target.

I remember in 7, 4, 5 & 8, it was a party spell.

I lucked out with Leviathan in that he only used the AoE attack on me once.

[quote name='mwestep']I have a question. In the armor shop, when you are buying armor, on the lower screen it just shows defece (or deftness, depending on the item). Thats great, but if you are buying something that has magical might/healing, it doesnt show the upgrade from what you have on now.

For my mage and priest, it really sucks going out into your inventory, calculating how much magical might/healing there is on that piece, go back in the store, and finding if its a worthwhile upgrade or not.

Is there anyway to see that?[/QUOTE]

Not that I've found. And it's indeed annoying.

One area they really could have improved is the shopping interface, especially the ability to sell things in bulk. It still takes way too long to shop (as it always has in Dragon Quest).

For those who played Dragon Age, the way they handled selling stuff was stellar (I'm sure that's not the first game to do it, just the first which spring to mind). Being able to sell all your old equipment or junk in one go is a huge time-saver, and should be an RPG standard.

GG Liquid Metal Slimes and their 40,200 experience. For those curious where, they're located in
the blowhole. B2 seems to be the good area to farm as enemies don't easily aggro and they seem to spawn somewhat frequently

[quote name='Dead of Knight']They have a light brown and a darker brown, but still nothing close to black.[/QUOTE]

But I thought you had green hair? All kidding aside, I do tend to think of people on internet forums as looking like their avatars for some reason.

bread's done
Back