Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - For Liquid Metal we would Slime!

Is there a way to speed up the text of conversations? I find it annoying to have to wait for the complete sentence to go by before I can advance the conversation. IMO there's no excuse not to be able to hit "A" and jump to the next part, expecially if it's something mundane or that you've already heard before.

Still loving the game though, even with that nitpick. I tried Leviathan last night but wiped.

Wow, I just got a disappointing ass quest reward:

After you finish the Swinedimples Academy main story quest there are teachers there for all the weapons in the game. They give out quests for Level 30 in a weapon and Level 100 in a weapon. I'd already maxed out my sword skill for my main character, so I was able to do both. For the level 30 quest you get a decent sword (not great, but better than what I'd had at the time) so I figured for the level 100 quest (which isn't too hard, but required a bit of running around) I'd be getting an even better sword. Instead? I get a book which allows any character carrying it to use Gigaslash, which I'd of course already learned with that character (I think you get it at 88). Sure, it would be nice on another character, but I only have one sword-user in my party. Pretty damned disappointing for a quest which requires at least a reasonable amount of dedication to unlock.

[quote name='Backlash']But I thought you had green hair? All kidding aside, I do tend to think of people on internet forums as looking like their avatars for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I just made my other party members and for some reason the dark brown option is a lot lighter for females than males. Oh well. Went with blue like I do for a lot of my self-made characters in games (PSO mostly). Made my husband and two best friends as my party. Unfortunately my female friend and I both have curly hair and my husband and my male friend both have dark brown hair. All of us have brown/hazel eyes. :lol: So I used some deviation (I made myself have blue hair and green eyes like I do in PSO, and likely my female friend has red hair), but not much. So my party members look pretty similar to each other, especially with the lame equipment you have in the beginning. :lol:

If anyone wants a map of nodes, I had found this (I think someone somewhere said it was kouli's, either that or some japanese wiki) and put in english names:

http://images.draekon.com/materials2.jpg

[quote name='keithp']Is there a way to speed up the text of conversations? I find it annoying to have to wait for the complete sentence to go by before I can advance the conversation. IMO there's no excuse not to be able to hit "A" and jump to the next part, expecially if it's something mundane or that you've already heard before.[/QUOTE]

I tried everything possible I could think of to no success the first day I played it. Don't believe there is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='keithp']Is there a way to speed up the text of conversations? I find it annoying to have to wait for the complete sentence to go by before I can advance the conversation. IMO there's no excuse not to be able to hit "A" and jump to the next part, expecially if it's something mundane or that you've already heard before.[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of, but I will mention one tip just in case someone out there isn't aware (likely everyone is):

Use the B button to advance the conversation instead of the A button after initiating using A. That way as you're mashing the button as fast as possible to get through it (if you've read it before) you won't accidentally start the whole damn conversation up again.

I have to admit the interface in this game is ugly. At least 8 had better styled menus. The screens where you choose items and the bottom screen that shows your HP/MP in battles looks like something out of a GBC game. Very drab colors.

[quote name='2DMention']I have to admit the interface in this game is ugly. At least 8 had better styled menus. The screens where you choose items and the bottom screen that shows your HP/MP in battles looks like something out of a GBC game. Very drab colors.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it does look like something from NES era RPGs. I just try to get some sort of retro-nostaligia enjoyment out of it :whistle2:/.

I'm pretty sure it's random, but there are a few things that make it happen more frequently. (I believe a fan skill is one of those things)

Anyhow, I'm sick of bosses and critical hits. They one-hit any character they please and have way too high of a critical rate. More so when they get two turns per one of mine and resurrection doesn't always work... -_-

[quote name='Draekon']I'm pretty sure it's random, but there are a few things that make it happen more frequently. (I believe a fan skill is one of those things)

Anyhow, I'm sick of bosses and critical hits. They one-hit any character they please and have way too high of a critical rate. More so when they get two turns per one of mine and resurrection doesn't always work... -_-[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to grind more, or use buff in boss battles more often. I have a Priestess and a Paladin so I usually just spend the first two rounds of boss battles buffing.

The only boss so far which has given me trouble was one in a treasure grotto, but I just tried again later and took care of him (granted with 1 character left alive), but my understanding is those bosses are supposed to be tougher.

[quote name='Draekon'] and resurrection doesn't always work... -_-[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I remember that from DQ4 (I think? or was it DQ8?). Nothing more frustrating than wasting a turn bringing someone back from the dead and having it fail. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Backlash']Ugh, I remember that from DQ4 (I think? or was it DQ8?). Nothing more frustrating than wasting a turn bringing someone back from the dead and having it fail. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

The spell Zing always fails sometimes. At least in DQV there is another spell (Kazing?) which works 100%. I haven't unlocked it yet, but I assume it's in DQIX too.

[quote name='bvharris']Sounds like you need to grind more, or use buff in boss battles more often. I have a Priestess and a Paladin so I usually just spend the first two rounds of boss battles buffing.

The only boss so far which has given me trouble was one in a treasure grotto, but I just tried again later and took care of him (granted with 1 character left alive), but my understanding is those bosses are supposed to be tougher.[/QUOTE]

I went through my first treasure map (Tunnel of Woe lv. 1) so easily, including the boss. The boss I'm at seems to crit like 10% of the time and has two turns to mine. His crits do as much damage as my soldier has health. Priests also suck at buffing (single target +def which needs to be cast twice per person for effectiveness and then single target insulate). However I pretty much have my mage and priest buffing, debuffing, and healing throughout the fight so that's not the issue. It's likely I'm underlevel or maybe the fact that I've chosen to ignore advance classes until post-game. Hell, for all I know it could be that I have terrible luck with bosses.

But yeah, I mentioned something like what you replied to me with to someone on AIM:

(3:04:44 PM) Me: well, there's a difference between difficult and "Despite having fought a boss three minutes earlier which you just breezed over, we're going to make you grind like hell for this next one."

EDIT: Now I remember why else I hated the boss. His hits could also cause characters to become "inactive" for a turn on top of the high chance of criticals.

EDIT 2: Heh, beat him this time. Guess I had terrible luck with criticals and the status effect "inactive" last time. Plus sap actually hit the boss early this time so I was able to do a good amount of damage a turn paired up with oomph.

[quote name='bvharris']The spell Zing always fails sometimes. At least in DQV there is another spell (Kazing?) which works 100%. I haven't unlocked it yet, but I assume it's in DQIX too.[/QUOTE]
The Priest can't use it in this game, only the Sage can. Which is bullfuck as the AVGN would say.

[quote name='2DMention']I have to admit the interface in this game is ugly. At least 8 had better styled menus. The screens where you choose items and the bottom screen that shows your HP/MP in battles looks like something out of a GBC game. Very drab colors.[/QUOTE]

FYI, the menus in 8 were completely redesigned for the NA version. They were the oldschool style in the Japanese version.

My 2nd trip back to the Observatory (After getting 7 Fyggs) brought to mind my favorite line from Firefly:

Major spoiler:

Aquila! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

RPGs: Setting the trustworthiness of bald guys back decades since the NES.

Not to mention ye olde unwinnable boss battle. Never change, Dragon Quest. :D

I got to Stonyway, but I don't know what to do exactly.
I think I have to get people to go to the Inn first, but I have no idea how
. I'm enjoying it so far, but I imagine I'll get burned out later when it says "Bless you my child, you have reached level 15. You need 18,000 EXP to your next level."

[quote name='KingBroly']
I think I have to get people to go to the Inn first, but I have no idea how
[/QUOTE]

That's referring to tag mode, not anything you need to do in single player. ;)

Im a Lv 11 and bout to go level up before i go looking for a certain White Guy, lol

Anyone know when u get ur first party member.

[quote name='adriley313']Im a Lv 11 and bout to go level up before i go looking for a certain White Guy, lol

Anyone know when u get ur first party member.[/QUOTE]

You should have them by now. You need to go to the inn in Stoneway to recruit them.

[quote name='Freedom Fries']Fuuuuuuuu.

My eyes! I need to unread that spoiler! :([/QUOTE]

I did write "major spoiler", haha. I even underlined it. ;)

[quote name='bvharris']That's referring to tag mode, not anything you need to do in single player. ;)[/QUOTE]

How exactly does tag mode work anyways? I don't particularly remember the games explanation really being useful. Not that I'm ever likely to run into someone with the game outside of people I already know.

I also need to figure out how to get the last advance class, which I never came across so I can only assume that it's post-game only. Already have Gladiator, Armamentalist, Ranger, Paladin, and Sage.

EDIT: Hmm... It's 3 minutes from 8 A.M. eastern and my online shop didn't update (everything is still sold out) and I don't remember it telling me to come back tomorrow at 8 A.M.

EDIT 2: Uh, the time it updates now says 8:00am GMT. I don't remember it saying GMT before, but oh well. Still odd since it should have changed...

[quote name='Draekon']How exactly does tag mode work anyways? I don't particularly remember the games explanation really being useful. Not that I'm ever likely to run into someone with the game outside of people I already know.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't been able to use it, but from what I gather if there's another DS in tag mode in range, your guy will show up as a "guest" in the hotel (and maybe they can use him in their party? not sure on that). I know there's an exchange of treasure maps involved, since it asks you if you want to take one out with you when you put it in tag mode.

How do you unlock Sage btw? I haven't found that one yet.

Trying to figure out what weapons I want to use for my party, Minstrel, Warrior, Priest, Thief. Def a sword for warrior. Minstrel and thief both have swords for now but I'm probably going to change them once Metal Slash is learned to have some variety. Thinking fans for the minstrel and knives for the thief. Thinking spears for priest but having extra MP and such with wands might be nice even if the attack power is very low.... So many choices, argh! :)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Trying to figure out what weapons I want to use for my party, Minstrel, Warrior, Priest, Thief. Def a sword for warrior. Minstrel and thief both have swords for now but I'm probably going to change them once Metal Slash is learned to have some variety. Thinking fans for the minstrel and knives for the thief. Thinking spears for priest but having extra MP and such with wands might be nice even if the attack power is very low.... So many choices, argh! :)[/QUOTE]

I'm going with swords for main because so many classes use it.

I tried spears for Priest, but he doesn't really do much more damage than staffs/wands, and the item effects of staves/wands and extra MP regen make it worth it to me.

I think the only reason people use fans is so they can use hustle..

[quote name='bvharris']I haven't been able to use it, but from what I gather if there's another DS in tag mode in range, your guy will show up as a "guest" in the hotel (and maybe they can use him in their party? not sure on that). I know there's an exchange of treasure maps involved, since it asks you if you want to take one out with you when you put it in tag mode.

How do you unlock Sage btw? I haven't found that one yet.[/QUOTE]

Sage is unlocked rather late in the game. You're not too far from it, but I'll spoiler it in case:
After you finish the prison, you will eventually end up at a palace (I forgot the exact name). After entering, you can do right or left until you come across some stairs. At the upper floor you'll see a bookcase where you start the quest. However the trolls you need to kill are in the next dungeon.

[quote name='2DMention']I tried spears for Priest, but he doesn't really do much more damage than staffs/wands, and the item effects of staves/wands and extra MP regen make it worth it to me.[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't train a weapon on my priest, I just trained her faith skill. It also lowers the mp cost by making heals more effective through mending buffs. I don't really remember if the skill transfers when I change vocation though. I do use a spear with her though, but the damage isn't really worth it to bother having her attack during bosses because I'd rather just have her defend from a possible critical hit.

My Priest was pretty good with spears, but that was in comparison to the Mage with his pitiful staff. But the Priest also has higher strength, so I might switch at some point. But my Priest is currently a Thief using a knife, so whatever. Eventually I'll switch her back to be a very speedy priest.

My Mage became a Minstrel with a fan, might just keep him there other than occasional periods to bump up Magical Might. Main character is probably going to remain a Warrior until some new classes open up, same with the awesome Martial Artist.

Just made a Mage and Priest. Mystic and Aang
I tried to make my Priest look like Aang from Avatar. Its kinda neat.
Gonna go level them up now.
Grinding is fun.

If anyone finds a wiki site or website with a great walk through please post it.
thx a bunch

[quote name='adriley313']
If anyone finds a wiki site or website with a great walk through please post it.
thx a bunch[/QUOTE]

Walkthroughs are for wimps. Play the game!

[quote name='keithp']Walkthroughs are for wimps. Play the game![/QUOTE]

Heh, I'd like to see a recipe list and quest list where it has where they can be found/started. Maybe a monster list too with their common and rare drop, but that's about all I want.

There were a few "ok, what do I do next?" parts in this game though. The desert town took me a while to figure out, but wasn't too bad.

I am playing the game but sometimes i get stuck or wanna know the best items for my one of my dudes. Plus when i wanna know when they learn moves.

My cast is at

Aynjel- 12 minstrel
Mystic- 8 mage
Aang- 8 priest

is there anyway to change a persons skill like from minstrel to warrior.
I want a warrior but dont wanna make a new guy but if u can change then i will.

thx abunch

Equipment doesn't need to be upgraded every chance you get. Hell, my guys are level 40 and I haven't bought any equipment since they were level 26 or so. Most of the stuff I can buy from shops at the moment are marginally better than what I have equipped and would need to do component farming to alchemize significantly better stuff. Quests can help produce some decent items too sometimes.

As for changing your vocations (aka class like Minstrel, Priest, etc) can be done at Alltrades Abbey. You'll visit there at some point through the story. I can't remember exactly how early it is, but any character can switch vocations at will. I would add a fourth character to your party though.

And if you get stuck, just ask and someone can tell you what to do next if you can't figure it out. Since the game is still relatively new this thread is watched a bit more often and you will likely receive a reply in a decently timely manner. Just be sure to spoiler tag anything that could potentially be regarded as a spoiler (Town names are more or less safe).

OK thx

Anyone know the best items for each skill. Here's what I have now

Aynjel- Minstrel- Rapier
Mystic- Mage- Oak Staff
Aang- Priest- Carrying Pole

I get my mages staff doesnt do much damage, 1 pt per hit and a MP.
But is there a better item for my priest.

Also I think Im gonna go make a warrior or is there something better I should make.
I like the idea of a thief.

Any ideas?

I'd recommend having your priest carry a staff as well, the MP drain is really helpful, especially once you beef it up a bit.

I'd say you need some more physical damage dealing, so I'd go with a warrior or a martial artist instead of a thief.

I don't really like carrying two magic users in a Dragon Quest game. Then again, I find offensive magic in DQ by and large pretty useless.

but the oak staff on my Mage only at the most does 1 damage and most times does nothing. But ill try it out since I have 2. My Mage, Mystic does about 30 damage with Crack.

I'll make a Martial artist and call him Lee, from Naruto.

thx a bunch

[quote name='Draekon']
any character can switch vocalizations at will. [/QUOTE]

Like from whispering to yodeling? :p I think you meant "vocations."

[quote name='Backlash']Like from whispering to yodeling? :p I think you meant "vocations."[/QUOTE]

Yeah, don't know what I was typing there.

When do you get the ability to use WFC? And where do you go?

Also, how and where do you switch specific classes for characters?

[quote name='KingBroly']When do you get the ability to use WFC? And where do you go?[/QUOTE]

It's in the Stornway Inn just left of the ghost chick and right of the alchemy pot. Not sure exactly when she shows up, but you can always check back after every major story plot. Today the store seems to be messed up though with it showing everyone's previous store and new people receive a blank store. Here's to hoping they fix it by tomorrow.

[quote name='KingBroly']Also, how and where do you switch specific classes for characters?[/QUOTE]

You'll unlock it via the story. It's really hard to miss the how and where so long as you progress through the story in a semi-sober state or better.

[quote name='bvharris']I'd recommend having your priest carry a staff as well, the MP drain is really helpful, especially once you beef it up a bit.

I'd say you need some more physical damage dealing, so I'd go with a warrior or a martial artist instead of a thief.

I don't really like carrying two magic users in a Dragon Quest game. Then again, I find offensive magic in DQ by and large pretty useless.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Mages are that bad; they're good for grinding and boss fights - grinding because their AoE spells are helpful, and bosses because they have buffs and debuffs like sap and accelerate.

[quote name='Draekon']It's in the Stornway Inn just left of the ghost chick and right of the alchemy pot. Not sure exactly when she shows up, but you can always check back after every major story plot. Today the store seems to be messed up though with it showing everyone's previous store and new people receive a blank store. Here's to hoping they fix it by tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Well I just beat
The Wight Knight
and went to the next town. I'm not exactly playing a lot everyday, but I'm Lv.11-9 right now. I'm mainly interested in downloading the new quests every week like they had in Japan.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']MOAR:

Materials Map
http://ih.gyoruspy.com/SA/dq9_materials_e.jpg

Remember folks, I went looking on the Gamefaqs boards for these so you don't have to![/QUOTE]

I actually posted that already. :p

[quote name='KingBroly']Well I just beat
The Wight Knight
and went to the next town. I'm not exactly playing a lot everyday, but I'm Lv.11-9 right now. I'm mainly interested in downloading the new quests every week like they had in Japan.[/QUOTE]

You still have a few hours left at least. I think I opened up vocation changing around level 18-20. You'll know it when you get to Alltrade Abbey.

Just beat the
witch hag
Now grinding my guys and then we are off to the ruins to cure a town.

When I play RPG i always like using magic users. Sap is helpful for bosses and crack is good. Bang is great for 4-5 monsters at once.
My martial artist Lee is awesome. He kicks butt.

My guys are level 11 to 15.
Got a lot of recipes so that map helps a lot searching for ingredents.
Just need to find some sword and staffs recipes.

Weak. I can't undertake the Paladin quest because apparently I've taken on too many quests that I haven't solved. I've got a full page I haven't tackled yet. I like to take on quests, otherwise I forget about them.

The guide is semi-worthless in that it tells you where to go to get the quests, but doesn't tell you where the monsters are to kill for a quest or what area to complete it, or does the bestiary tell you where the monster is?

Beastiry should tell you where any monsters are located, but then again I don't have the guide. DoK posted a link to a monster compendium a little above if you really need.

bread's done
Back