Dragon Quest VIII demo + keychain for free inside

Msia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Saw this on Gaming-Age, any west coast CAGs want to hook some of us east coast people up?

Edit:

http://www.dragonquest8.com/register.php

Guides:

Regular Edition

BradyGames’ Dragon Quest VIII Official Strategy Guide includes the following:

A walkthrough highlighting various aspects of the gameplay.
Detailed maps of every region.
Thorough coverage of all characters, spells, skills and items.
Expert boss strategies to defeat even the toughest boss monster, and ultimately Dhoulmagus.
In-depth bestiary of all monsters.
Signature Series guide includes an exclusive poster, bonus content and more!

Limited Edition

BradyGames’ Dragon Quest VIII Limited Edition Strategy Guide includes the following:

Expert boss strategies to defeat even the toughest boss monster, and ultimately Dhoulmagus.
Limited Edition guide includes an exclusive artbook, poster, bonus content and more!

My Gamestop had the demo if you preordered, so I did. And boy am I not looking forward to the game anymore. I'll be moving my preorder to something else next time I go there.

[quote name='pete5883'] And boy am I not looking forward to the game anymore. I'll be moving my preorder to something else next time I go there.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that sucks to here. care to elaborate as to why you didn't like it?

Anybody else have impressions of the demo?

First of all I should point out that I played through and (mostly) enjoyed 150 hours of DQVII. However that was because whenever I got tired of leveling up or many random battles were required, I would continuously hit X, turn to the computer and surf the internet until the fight was over. If I couldn't do this, VII probably would've gotten boring real quick. I loved DQIV back on NES, and played and loved I-III on GBC.

In DQVIII the fighting isn't that bad, but it's a little slower than VII since the fights are in 3D. I thought I'd love this one since the graphics are finally good, I generally like the character designs, and I know there's a lot of world to explore. But the p/reviews really were right; theres really nothing to find out in the world, just lots of grass, hills, and trees, with no treasures, visible monsters, nothing. The quest they send you on in the demo is blatantly a fetch quest, which really isn't a good sign for the rest of the game.

Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the speech of the boss you face. It's probably supposed to be funny, but it's very much not funny (lines like "ware thee fell" instead of "fare thee well") which makes the monologue (your character never talks) drag on, and leads me to believe that this game is really skewed to an audience younger than me.

This game's battle system gimmick is the "Tension" system, which basically means you skip a turn to do more damage the next turn...maybe. Apparently if the enemies attack you right, you lose your tension and have wasted your time. A battle system that relies heavily on doing nothing doesn't really interest me. By all indications the story is nothing special, the dialog in the game seems to be anti-funny, gameplay includes too many random battles and really nothing setting it apart from the last 7 games (except perhaps less variety,) really leaving only graphics. Which isn't enough for me in this case.

First bad feedback on the demo I've heard so far.

http://www.insertcredit.com/features/fukubukuro/2004/december4.html

Famitsu gave it a 10, 10, 10, 9

The Dwaine review of the demo @ dqshrine.com:

http://www.dqshrine.com/features/dq8demo.htm

another review of the whole game:

http://www.insertcredit.com/features/fukubukuro/2004/december4.html

Alll the feedback on slimeknights forums has been positive so far (minus the new menu system for us dumb North Americans).

News from slimeknights:

Posted on Sep 20, 2005 11:09am EDT

There's some interesting updates straight from King Slime (slimeknights site moderator)....straight from Squenix... sounds like you may be able to register to have a demo sent to you. Dunno though if it will be just slimeknights members or everyone, he doesn't say.

Also, the official website goes completely live next week.

[quote name='pete5883']First of all I should point out that I played through and (mostly) enjoyed 150 hours of DQVII. However that was because whenever I got tired of leveling up or many random battles were required, I would continuously hit X, turn to the computer and surf the internet until the fight was over. If I couldn't do this, VII probably would've gotten boring real quick. I loved DQIV back on NES, and played and loved I-III on GBC.

In DQVIII the fighting isn't that bad, but it's a little slower than VII since the fights are in 3D. I thought I'd love this one since the graphics are finally good, I generally like the character designs, and I know there's a lot of world to explore. But the p/reviews really were right; theres really nothing to find out in the world, just lots of grass, hills, and trees, with no treasures, visible monsters, nothing. The quest they send you on in the demo is blatantly a fetch quest, which really isn't a good sign for the rest of the game.

Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the speech of the boss you face. It's probably supposed to be funny, but it's very much not funny (lines like "ware thee fell" instead of "fare thee well") which makes the monologue (your character never talks) drag on, and leads me to believe that this game is really skewed to an audience younger than me.

This game's battle system gimmick is the "Tension" system, which basically means you skip a turn to do more damage the next turn...maybe. Apparently if the enemies attack you right, you lose your tension and have wasted your time. A battle system that relies heavily on doing nothing doesn't really interest me. By all indications the story is nothing special, the dialog in the game seems to be anti-funny, gameplay includes too many random battles and really nothing setting it apart from the last 7 games (except perhaps less variety,) really leaving only graphics. Which isn't enough for me in this case.[/QUOTE]
I agree completely with this. I was very disappointed with the demo. I'm hoping it's just because of the part of the game they chose to base the demo on. It's a very boring fetch quest. The battle system also bored me quite a bit. While I do still enjoy turn-based battles, nowadays I need something to spice it up. Doesn't have to be much. Take Shadow Hearts and its use of the Judgement Ring for example.

Pete pretty much said it all though. Just feels like a really mediocre game.

Update: Go here to register for free demo+keychain

http://www.dragonquest8.com/register.php

Guides:

Regular Edition

BradyGames’ Dragon Quest VIII Official Strategy Guide includes the following:

Signature Series guide includes an exclusive poster, bonus content and more!

Limited Edition

BradyGames’ Dragon Quest VIII Limited Edition Strategy Guide includes the following:

Limited Edition guide includes an exclusive artbook, poster, bonus content and more!

Oh that's fantastic news... so great that I'm gonna actually get it sent to my home address as I don't trust the mail to arrive at my apt 100% of the time.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Oh that's fantastic news... so great that I'm gonna actually get it sent to my home address as I don't trust the mail to arrive at my apt 100% of the time.[/QUOTE]

im with you on that one...apartment mailing sucks...i love it when they leave packages on your doorstep...doh!

It says there are multiple figures, I think I'm gonna try to get someone else to sign up for me as well.

Demo discs and slime figurines will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis, and while supplies last. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Slime figurines are packaged and shipped randomly. They come two to a box if they are small, one to a box if they are large. Shipments can only be made to U.S. addresses.

Awesome! I hope I got in in time. I was about to buy one of these demos off ebay (I love DQ, but I don't want to pre-order it; I'll get it when it's a bit cheaper), but this saves me from having to to that. Thanks, OP!

I jumped all over this last night - thanks a ton OP! I knew my life was slightly empty, but I didn't know until now that it was from a lack of slime keychain. XD

Sorry for making another thread for this cool promotion! I just saw it on 1UP, and never saw this thread. So free bump, for others who haven't seen it...

If i even remotely like this demo it will be a launch day purchase. I want that FFXII demo and this game has had me interested anyway.

Demo discs and slime figurines will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis, and while supplies last. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Slime figurines are packaged and shipped randomly. They come two to a box if they are small, one to a box if they are large. Shipments can only be made to U.S. addresses

What if you came home to find a giant two-story boxed slimechain sitting next to your car.

edit: btw thanks op!

[quote name='onikage']It just says that your friend has to click the link in their mail. I don't think someone has to sign up directly through the link.[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit confused on what it has to be exactly... I got the registration email for a friend sent to a junk email addy of mine, so hopefully they just have to click the link, and not actually sign up for a demo, since well... the friend email went to me lol.

Do you get any sort of confirmation to know you received a slime keychain?

[quote name='62t']why not send the email to one of your own spam account and sign up with fake address?[/QUOTE]
Or sign up with the same address and different name. It says one per person, not per household.

Eh, to be safe I just had one sent to me, and then filled out the other one to a fake name at my old apartment. Hope the new tenant likes video games.

SWEET! Hope to get the key chain. I want to get the PS2 Slime controller when it comes out. I saw it on sale at Play Asia for $30. Too bad international shipping is so much.

I signed up yesterday but i didnt realize that you could only sign up from the usa and i sent the email to one of my friends in the UK cause i knew that he would click the link, hopefully you just have to click the link and not actually sign up for the demo in order to get the figure.

It only said you have to click the link so im assuming i will be ok with getting the figure.

My friend who I referred it to accidentally erased the email since he didn't know it was from me. And since I'm already registered and you can only refer when registering that was practically only shot! They really screwed up here.

Signed up a while ago for this ... although if I dont get the demo from thte sign up.... the demo will be in the next demo disc in the Official PS magazine...

Would like the keychain though

[quote name='cartman414']My friend who I referred it to accidentally erased the email since he didn't know it was from me. And since I'm already registered and you can only refer when registering that was practically only shot! They really screwed up here.[/QUOTE]

No YOU really screwed up.

bread's done
Back