Dragon Quest VIII demo + keychain for free inside

Msia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Saw this on Gaming-Age, any west coast CAGs want to hook some of us east coast people up?

Edit:

http://www.dragonquest8.com/register.php

Guides:

Regular Edition

BradyGames’ Dragon Quest VIII Official Strategy Guide includes the following:

A walkthrough highlighting various aspects of the gameplay.
Detailed maps of every region.
Thorough coverage of all characters, spells, skills and items.
Expert boss strategies to defeat even the toughest boss monster, and ultimately Dhoulmagus.
In-depth bestiary of all monsters.
Signature Series guide includes an exclusive poster, bonus content and more!

Limited Edition

BradyGames’ Dragon Quest VIII Limited Edition Strategy Guide includes the following:

A walkthrough highlighting various aspects of the gameplay.
Detailed maps of every region.
Thorough coverage of all characters, spells, skills and items.
Expert boss strategies to defeat even the toughest boss monster, and ultimately Dhoulmagus.
In-depth bestiary of all monsters.
Limited Edition guide includes an exclusive artbook, poster, bonus content and more!

Got my demo yesterday too but wasn't expecting it. I didn't get a keychain though.
About two hours before that I pre-ordered and fully paid for DQ8 and was given a demo which I didn't expect also. Weird how that worked out.

YMMV... I asked the clerk over @ EB & he gave me the demo... I didn't even have to preorder...

I say some of you give that a shot...

Got sick of waiting...

[quote name='62t']http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-Quest-8-VIII-Demo-Disc-w-BLUE-SLIME-BONUS_W0QQitemZ8225489443QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

someone got the bonus[/QUOTE]

They might of got that stuff from here: http://www.slimeknights.com
? I dunno, I just signed up last night, not realising all the shit you have to do. It's supposed to be FREE swag (my idea of "free" includes not only no money, but no effort as well ;) )...ah well. At least they are trying to push for some interest in the game. Why they don't sell this crap on their site, I have no idea.

[quote name='humidore']They might of got that stuff from here: http://www.slimeknights.com
? I dunno, I just signed up last night, not realising all the shit you have to do. It's supposed to be FREE swag (my idea of "free" includes not only no money, but no effort as well ;) )...ah well. At least they are trying to push for some interest in the game. Why they don't sell this crap on their site, I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

The plushie keychain/screen cleaner and the mens shirt was also given at the recent GameStop manager conference, saw them in a box of swag and goodies my manager brought back from there. I have a grey one hanging on my DS. :)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Have you ever gotten a demo in the mail before? That's how they all come.

I got mine today.[/QUOTE]

SSX On Tour came in an envelope.
Moto GP4 came in an envelope.
God of War came in a padded envelope.

Uhm, yeah, I've gotten a few demos in the mail recently. Ass.

[quote name='Zon27']SSX On Tour came in an envelope.
Moto GP4 came in an envelope.
God of War came in a padded envelope.

Uhm, yeah, I've gotten a few demos in the mail recently. Ass.[/QUOTE]
Wow. How did I come off as an ass? It was a simple question. Don't be so damn hostile to toss insults at everyone.

I'll give you SSX On Tour, but I've gotten God of War, Getaway: Black Monday, Shadow of the Colossus, and many others just with the shipping info on top of the plastic wrap.

I just received the 6 demos I signed up myself and my friends for, but no keychains.

Apparently, the rules for receiving the keychain go something like this:

In order for you to receive the slime keychain, the friend who you emailed to tell them about the free Dragon Quest VIII demo MUST sign up for the free demo by CLICKING ON THE URL link that was included in the email that should have been sent to them right after you signed up for your demo.

Supposedly, you won't get the keychain if your friend goes directly to the "http://www.dragonquest8.com" website by opening up another internet browser window, even if they received the email.

I hear it's all about whether or not the URL link from the email is used.

I certainly hope not, because I had a hell of a time trying to convince my non-video game playing friends to sign up for the demos, just so I could get the keychains. ;P

[quote name='GunPanther']I just received the 6 demos I signed up myself and my friends for, but no keychains.

Apparently, the rules for receiving the keychain go something like this:

In order for you to receive the slime keychain, the friend who you emailed to tell them about the free Dragon Quest VIII demo MUST sign up for the free demo by CLICKING ON THE URL link that was included in the email that should have been sent to them right after you signed up for your demo.

Supposedly, you won't get the keychain if your friend goes directly to the "http://www.dragonquest8.com" website by opening up another internet browser window, even if they received the email.

I hear it's all about whether or not the URL link from the email is used.

I certainly hope not, because I had a hell of a time trying to convince my non-video game playing friends to sign up for the demos, just so I could get the keychains. ;P[/QUOTE]
I clicked on the URL, but no keychain. Maybe later? Please?!

I got my disc today also, but no keychain. I even sent it to another person and they sent it on also... hmm. Won't give up hope yet.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']very weak demo........... hope the full game is better[/QUOTE]

I had the same thoughts, but most demos do seem pretty week in comparison to what the final version may hold. At least with console games, so I still hold hope.

I got my demo yesterday. Why anyone is excited about this game is beyond me. After playing games like Shadow Hearts Covenant and the Grandia series, where battles are actually fun, how can anyone stand Dragon Quest's antiquated battle system? It brings absolutely zero innovation to the genre. You would think after 7 of these games, the developers would find a way to spice it up a bit.

It's just so TEDIOUS. Like, the battle system is boring, but you have a good story, good pacing, that's fine. But this game was HARD. And it didn't have SAVE POINTS. Like, I'd go to the cave, die, go back to the cave, die, and on and on until I leveled up enough to finally beat that damn dyslexic merman. I did appreciate the Dancing Devils and their sultry dance though...

[quote name='jshendel']I clicked on the URL, but no keychain. Maybe later? Please?![/QUOTE]

Okay, it's kind of confusing how Enix/Square laid this promotion out, so I'll try my best to clarify it as much as possible.

If you clicked on the URL that was in the email message sent to you by Enix (the one where you could sign up for the game demo as well as the free keychain), you would then enter your mailing, email and vital information, and possibly another friend's name and email, you would definitely get the demo.

But, in order for you to get the keychain, you MUST have a friend (which you sent an invitation to receive a free DQ8 demo) click on the URL link in the message that they receive and sign up for a free demo.

Even though YOU clicked on the URL link that was in the message you received, which was sent to you by your friend, it looks like your friend will be the one receiving the keychain and not you, unless you find another friend to sign up for a free demo as well. So, in order for your next friend to get a keychain, he has to convince another friend to sign up for a demo and so forth.

Confusing, yes. But it'll be well worth it for free stuff, don't you think?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I got my demo yesterday. Why anyone is excited about this game is beyond me. After playing games like Shadow Hearts Covenant and the Grandia series, where battles are actually fun, how can anyone stand Dragon Quest's antiquated battle system? It brings absolutely zero innovation to the genre. You would think after 7 of these games, the developers would find a way to spice it up a bit.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but the sheer nostalgia of looking in closets and breaking every barrel/jar in site was great for me. Only now that I'm older, I actually felt BAD when I took money out of a bag in an old man' house...And giggled as I broke a jar over the priests back. Voices were a lot better than I expected (I go in expecting the worst anyway)...No save BLOWS though, for the above mentioned reasons (I see the logic since it's the demo, but then again, it's just inhumane).

So I'm on the borderline. Throw some free swag at me Squeenix, and you got yourself a customer ;)

[quote name='GunPanther']Okay, it's kind of confusing how Enix/Square laid this promotion out, so I'll try my best to clarify it as much as possible.

If you clicked on the URL that was in the email message sent to you by Enix (the one where you could sign up for the game demo as well as the free keychain), you would then enter your mailing, email and vital information, and possibly another friend's name and email, you would definitely get the demo.

But, in order for you to get the keychain, you MUST have a friend (which you sent an invitation to receive a free DQ8 demo) click on the URL link in the message that they receive and sign up for a free demo.

Even though YOU clicked on the URL link that was in the message you received, which was sent to you by your friend, it looks like your friend will be the one receiving the keychain and not you, unless you find another friend to sign up for a free demo as well. So, in order for your next friend to get a keychain, he has to convince another friend to sign up for a demo and so forth.

Confusing, yes. But it'll be well worth it for free stuff, don't you think?[/QUOTE]I did exactly that, but I still only received the demo (and so did my friend). Maybe they send the keychains out separately..?

[quote name='humidore']So I'm on the borderline. Throw some free swag at me Squeenix, and you got yourself a customer ;)[/QUOTE]

You mean getting the playable FFXII demo with the actual DQ8 game isn't going to be enough?

Even playing the Demo a little is like Akira Toriyama drawings comeing to life it's a DQ game that actually looks like the boxart heh. If they used this style/graphics engine in a say a remake of Chrono Trigger i'd be quite happy.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I got my demo yesterday. Why anyone is excited about this game is beyond me. After playing games like Shadow Hearts Covenant and the Grandia series, where battles are actually fun, how can anyone stand Dragon Quest's antiquated battle system? It brings absolutely zero innovation to the genre. You would think after 7 of these games, the developers would find a way to spice it up a bit.[/QUOTE]

New or different /= better

Frankly I won't play a rpg that isn't turn based. That is the best fighting system and it will never be topped. The key is to give players lots of options - like DQ8 does.

I agree, but the sheer nostalgia of looking in closets and breaking every barrel/jar in site was great for me. Only now that I'm older, I actually felt BAD when I took money out of a bag in an old man' house...And giggled as I broke a jar over the priests back. Voices were a lot better than I expected (I go in expecting the worst anyway)...No save BLOWS though, for the above mentioned reasons (I see the logic since it's the demo, but then again, it's just inhumane).

For me this was one of the worst things in the game. It was fine to be able to steal people's stuff back in the day with no consequence, but today it's just stupid. Especially with the realistic looking characters, etc. It's retarted to walk into the back of a bar, stuff your hand in the bartenders money sack and take his money and he doesn't even give you a second look. Or walk into someone's house and start opening their dressers and taking their stuff while they happily continue what they are doing. Either don't let people steal things or implement some sort of consequence for doing so - it's not that difficult.

Anyway, I don't think anyone will be getting keychains. It was all a lie.

Not sure if its been posted. But it seems that Best Buys are carrying the demo, and its free. (YMMV obviously)

I found em where they have the boxes of pre-order slips.

[quote name='orimental']You mean getting the playable FFXII demo with the actual DQ8 game isn't going to be enough?[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'm not interested in FFXII really. That's about an hour diversion at the most.

[quote name='Falion']I did exactly that, but I still only received the demo (and so did my friend). Maybe they send the keychains out separately..?[/QUOTE]

That's always a big possibility for the keychains to be sent out seperately, since promotions like this usually aren't done too often.

Usually, it's something like "Sign up for _____ demo and get _____ item for free.", but Square/Enix decided to try the whole 'in order for you to get the free item, you have to get a friend to sign up to' situation.

I just hope that the we still get the keychains, because Dragon Warrior/Quest slimes are cool. LOL

man i still havent got my demo... the time i buy it off ebay for 4 shipped is the day the stupid thing will come...... Im think about buying the game in nov using my BB bucks

bread's done
Back