EB/GameStop Daily Door Crashers

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='wrathchild']picked up nier for 9.89 along with beautiful katamari used for 7.99, such a steal[/QUOTE]
yeah i saw katamari used for that price, good deal. I picked it up though last year new 10$ at the source.

Im so glad many people will get to play Nier, finally. It is Cavia's swansong, now that their future is uncertain...
Hopefully some of you will enjoy it as much as I did.

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']Im so glad many people will get to play Nier, finally. It is Cavia's swansong, now that their future is uncertain...
Hopefully some of you will enjoy it as much as I did.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious about the Drakengard games, I have one of those infatuations with that series even though I've never played them before (similar to NIER). Those two were Cavia's only PS2 gen titles right?

I did pick up another copy of NIER on PS3, I think it will make an interesting Christmas gift.

[quote name='dancrane212']I'm curious about the Drakengard games, I have one of those infatuations with that series even though I've never played them before (similar to NIER). Those two were Cavia's only PS2 gen titles right?[/QUOTE]

Well... maybe it's best if you just pretend that they were. ;) They were hired guns on a lot of licensed, sequel or offshoot games, many of which were less than stellar. What little I played of the Drakengard games didn't quite impress, but I will say that so far Nier is fascinating indeed and has much more polish and ambition than I was expecting.

Has anyone tried the DLC?

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']Im so glad many people will get to play Nier, finally. It is Cavia's swansong, now that their future is uncertain...[/QUOTE] What happened? I mean besides being known for stuff like Drakengard and Bullet Witch.

[quote name='firehawk12']Cavia's been closed, I think? Their parent company ran out of money or something.[/QUOTE]

I think AQ Interactive still exists, but that Cavia was absorbed into it. It appears that AQ was itself created from Cavia back in 2005, and has now re-absorbed the development resources thereof...?

[quote name='Wolfkin']ehhh.. maybe not. i do need to start buying guitar hero games but I don't want to start with Van Halen.[/QUOTE]

Or you could just get Rock Band 3, the best and most complete music game EVER. :)

[quote name='djsaiyan']Pass. I am so over rhythm games.

Do like Van Halen though[/QUOTE]

I wish they still made rhythm games like they used to... I would buy a new Space Channel 5 in a second. Rhythm Heaven was pretty awesome, though not as good as the GBA original.

Man, I paid 30 bucks for GH:Van Halen a while ago during the TRU sale and I have to say, after beating almost every GH game out there, this is probably the worst. First off, they don't even include the original bassist, who cares about Wolfgang Van Halen?! Then there's that thing about all the band looking like they do right now. They look horrible. You CAN unlock "classic" costumes by beating each instrument, but shouldn't "classic" Wolfgang be an embryo or something? It's just weird to see 20-something year old Eddie with his son looking like he's 16.

The song list is okay, with awesome songs like Weezer's Dope Nose, but overall the presentation is pretty lame, the achievements/trophies are impossible (think GH3) and it seems like they've done no effort to honor the band, unlike GH: Aerosmith or Metallica.

Unless you're a HUGE Van Halen fan, I'd stay away from this one.

[quote name='djsaiyan']Pass. I am so over rhythm games.

Do like Van Halen though[/QUOTE]the beauty about not owning the music games is that I'm not burned out. Just like Dynasty Warriors my lack of experience is a blessing. Actually I did buy GH:Aerosmith bundle for Wii for $20 way back when. I liked it but I had to come up to Canada soon after so I've barely played it. Since I got a PS3. I've been debating with myself about whether I should stick with my Wii or switch to the PS3. As much as I love to support my Wii the draw of having music on the harddrive is too much so I've mentally committed myself to switching systems. Been trying to find a cheap GHIII instrument bundle or something to start.

[quote name='Derfel']Or you could just get Rock Band 3, the best and most complete music game EVER. :)[/QUOTE]people said the same thing about Rock Band, and the same thing about Rock Band 3. ya'll be saying the same thing when Rock Band 4 gets released. Just like "I'm tired of buying more instruments" until the next RB game.

But yeah just because I want GH doesn't mean I won't be buying RB as well. If it becomes a door crasher I'll be right there.

===========
your 2000+ DLC gets undermined if they put out a new disc and suddenly the new DLC won't work on my game. At least Singstar downloads still work on SS1. Though apparently they might be breaking that with SS Guitar/SS Dance

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfkin']
people said the same thing about Rock Band, and the same thing about Rock Band 3. ya'll be saying the same thing when Rock Band 4 gets released.

But yeah just because I want GH doesn't mean I won't be buying RB as well.[/QUOTE]

That's because it's always been true at the time; they just keep improving upon it. With the new game adding keys as well as pro modes for all instruments and a DLC catalog that's now 2000+ strong, it's going to be a hard act to follow. Even for Harmonix themselves.

"DLC 2000+ strong".

Meh, I'd rather buy a guitar and actually learn the notes to some of these songs, rather than pushing 5 different buttons and flicking some thin plastic piece back and forth infront of a TV.

$79.99 I saw a guitar go for in one the flyers last week - might've been Zellers or something. Even if it's a junk model, you can make the best of it. My dad has this old beat-down keyboard, yet if anyone of us ask him to play a song, it'll take him about a minute to memorize the tune and play it out on the keyboard uncannily.

[quote name='Derfel']I wish they still made rhythm games like they used to... I would buy a new Space Channel 5 in a second. Rhythm Heaven was pretty awesome, though not as good as the GBA original.[/QUOTE]

UmJammer Lammy and PaRappa the Rapper :)

[quote name='VetraX']"DLC 2000+ strong".

Meh, I'd rather buy a guitar and actually learn the notes to some of these songs, rather than pushing 5 different buttons and flicking some thin plastic piece back and forth infront of a TV.
[/QUOTE]

That's hardly an argument anymore, since Rock Band 3 has pro guitar and pro bass, which we'll soon be able to play with a real guitar (I think the RB3 Squier comes out in march?), and you can always plug any MIDI keyboard (or any MIDI instrument from what I understand) with the game's MIDI adaptor and it'll work. I've listened to the Harmonix podcast and they explain in detail how they map the notes for every song on pro guitar/bass, to the point where if they're not sure, they go check youtube videos of how the actual artist was playing it.

Also I think the guitar will be $280 or something like that, which is expensive for a game controller, but when you consider it's a real guitar, it's actually not that bad. Most beginner electric guitars are priced around $200 anyway. Sure you can buy an old acoustic guitar for 25 bucks at a garage sale, but I think it's a lot more fun in Rock Band 3 where you have a virtual band playing with you, with the show's atmosphere and everything.

Seriously, Pro mode is pretty much the real thing now, this ain't Guitar Hero 1 anymore! :)

[quote name='VetraX']UmJammer Lammy and PaRappa the Rapper :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Parappa the Rapper 2 came out back in 2002 (and wasn't even that good). I would LOVE a sequel to Umjammer Lammy; I still play that game regularly.

Here's the unconfirmed list of upcoming door crashers for the next few days (credit to Smooth~ on RFD).

December 9th
•America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking (DS)

December 10th
•Madden NFL 09 (PS3/360) is $4.89

December 11th
•Man Furismo Jive (PSP) $4.89

December 12th
•Smackdown vs Raw 20?? (PS3/360) $4.89

12 Days of Christmas Door Crashers
December 13th
•Sesame Street Wii $30
•Sesame Street DS $20

[quote name='Jouvert']

12 Days of Christmas Door Crashers
December 13th
•Sesame Street Wii $30
•Sesame Street DS $20[/QUOTE]

Speaking as someone with young children in the house, this actually looked pretty cool.

Thanks for cross-posting the rumors!

Well, I went into EB Games today and picked up Nier for PS3. No 360 versions in stock, but may leave it sealed and check store near by house tomorrow.

[quote name='Derfel']I wish they still made rhythm games like they used to...[/QUOTE]Hey, you just gotta know where to look. Gitaroo-Man on the PS2 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's pretty old at this point, but not a lot of people know about though. It had a PSP port so it's a bit easier to track down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmybXGUpzzI

Then there's Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! for the DS, and its sequel, which are also some of my favourite games of all time. Elite Beat Agents is really good as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0mGInm_JY

However sticking to something more recent, Project Diva 1 and 2 on the PSP have been proving that rhythm games without peripherals still exist!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkE2pIGyWOk

[quote name='No One']Hey, you just gotta know where to look. Gitaroo-Man on the PS2 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's pretty old at this point, but not a lot of people know about though. It had a PSP port so it's a bit easier to track down.

Then there's Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! for the DS, and its sequel, which are also some of my favourite games of all time. Elite Beat Agents is really good as well.

However sticking to something more recent, Project Diva 1 and 2 on the PSP have been proving that rhythm games without peripherals still exist![/QUOTE]

Again, I love Gitaroo-Man but it's also from 2002. "The Legendary Theme" is the best! I've also bought Elite Beat Agents and imported the Ouendan games and enjoyed them, though I don't prefer the mechanics thereof. I've checked out Project Diva before, but I didn't find it appealing and have no interest in importing a PSP game. It just sucks that the only story-based rhythm game we've had out of Matsuura or Mizuguchi since 2002 has been Major Minor's Majestic March (which I was really interested in when it was announced but ultimately turned out to be a disappointment).

[quote name='matsam']That's hardly an argument anymore, since Rock Band 3 has pro guitar and pro bass, which we'll soon be able to play with a real guitar (I think the RB3 Squier comes out in march?), and you can always plug any MIDI keyboard (or any MIDI instrument from what I understand) with the game's MIDI adaptor and it'll work. I've listened to the Harmonix podcast and they explain in detail how they map the notes for every song on pro guitar/bass, to the point where if they're not sure, they go check youtube videos of how the actual artist was playing it.

Also I think the guitar will be $280 or something like that, which is expensive for a game controller, but when you consider it's a real guitar, it's actually not that bad. Most beginner electric guitars are priced around $200 anyway. Sure you can buy an old acoustic guitar for 25 bucks at a garage sale, but I think it's a lot more fun in Rock Band 3 where you have a virtual band playing with you, with the show's atmosphere and everything. [/QUOTE]

I really think it still is, and always will be until they make games cost-effective to your personal needs in the long run. Buying a real guitar, and being able to learn (not just these songs they force you to purchase) any song, create new ones, and play it not just infront of your TV has a much greater advantage than doing it the EA/Activision way. Ask yourself what's gonna impress a friend, your parents/family, that lady friend more?

IMO simulation will always come second to the real thing. Gran Turismo coupled with a driving wheel peripheral comes incredibly close to the real thing and feel, but it'll never beat getting in your car, holding down the clutch, shifting gears, etc. Thing is, GT5 and a racing wheel aren't the same price as a vehicle - and that's where my first point comes into play, because it's reasonably affordable. With Rock Band and Guitar Hero, the price of buying all that DLC and the peripherals/gaming controllers costs much more than compared to that of buying a new guitar and virtually playing any song you want off your computer/plus musical notes.

Ya know what I mean? reckon that's the point I've always tried to make when bringing up the simulation vs real against RB/GH - price matters. That, and I hate EA and Activision; bunch of fucking money-grubbing cocksuckers.

[quote name='VetraX']I really think it still is, and always will be until they make games cost-effective to your personal needs in the long run. Buying a real guitar, and being able to learn (not just these songs they force you to purchase) any song, create new ones, and play it not just infront of your TV has a much greater advantage than doing it the EA/Activision way. Ask yourself what's gonna impress a friend, your parents/family, that lady friend more?

IMO simulation will always come second to the real thing. Gran Turismo coupled with a driving wheel peripheral comes incredibly close to the real thing and feel, but it'll never beat getting in your car, holding down the clutch, shifting gears, etc. Thing is, GT5 and a racing wheel aren't the same price as a vehicle - and that's where my first point comes into play, because it's reasonably affordable. With Rock Band and Guitar Hero, the price of buying all that DLC and the peripherals/gaming controllers costs much more than compared to that of buying a new guitar and virtually playing any song you want off your computer/plus musical notes.

Ya know what I mean? reckon that's the point I've always tried to make when bringing up the simulation vs real against RB/GH - price matters. That, and I hate EA and Activision; bunch of fucking money-grubbing cocksuckers.[/QUOTE]

I think you're missing part of the point of these games, and that's the party aspect. The new Rock Band allows you to pack seven people into a room who may or may not have any amount of musical talent and have a blast playing along with some of your favorite songs. It is FUN. It doesn't have to be about learning an instrument or taking the hobby seriously, but instead about having a good time with friends. The advantage of the pro mode is that it allows you to use a real guitar, keyboard or drum set to play the actual note charts of the songs, while also allowing you to use those real instruments in whatever other capacity you could want. This is a significant breakthrough in the genre for people who are genuinely interested in learning an instrument and not just about messing around with friends: you can now have it both ways.

Dec 2-4 - America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking (DS) $9.89
Dec 9 - America's Test Kitchen: Let's Get Cooking (DS) $4.89

:bomb:

[quote name='Derfel']you can now have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

fg_Ted_Turner_1_r5.jpg
like a...

[quote name='VetraX']Ya know what I mean? reckon that's the point I've always tried to make when bringing up the simulation vs real against RB/GH[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you can actually plug the new RB3 guitar in an amp and use it in a band if you want to, it's a real guitar with a MIDI plug, that's it.

Also, Freezepop uses the RB3 keytar during their live shows. I think we're past the point of playing plastic instruments in front of a game screen now! You can learn a song in the game, practice a bunch, then plug it into a real amp and impress your friends with the same instrument. I think that's pretty awesome.

EDIT:
[quote name='Derfel']I think you're missing part of the point of these games, and that's the party aspect. The new Rock Band allows you to pack seven people into a room who may or may not have any amount of musical talent and have a blast playing along with some of your favorite songs. It is FUN. It doesn't have to be about learning an instrument or taking the hobby seriously, but instead about having a good time with friends. The advantage of the pro mode is that it allows you to use a real guitar, keyboard or drum set to play the actual note charts of the songs, while also allowing you to use those real instruments in whatever other capacity you could want. This is a significant breakthrough in the genre for people who are genuinely interested in learning an instrument and not just about messing around with friends: you can now have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

100% agree with you. This is what I like about the new Rock Band, you can either play it the good old fashioned way, 5 buttons, just for fun, but you can also spend the time it takes to really learn the instruments. Heck, the keyboard tutorial teaches you chord progressions and arpeggios, I was really impressed. I really think you can learn how to play an instrument with this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both sides of this Rock Band argument are lame in their own way.

Also, Guitar Hero: Van Halen still suck.

But, this:

[quote name='bdavid81']Well, I went into EB Games today and picked up Nier for PS3. No 360 versions in stock, but may leave it sealed and check store near by house tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

They let you buy it a day after the sale was supposed to be...? I missed that one, but I would love to try to sneak it by them today.

[quote name='VetraX']I really think it still is, and always will be until they make games cost-effective to your personal needs in the long run. Buying a real guitar, and being able to learn (not just these songs they force you to purchase) any song, create new ones, and play it not just infront of your TV has a much greater advantage than doing it the EA/Activision way. Ask yourself what's gonna impress a friend, your parents/family, that lady friend more?[/QUOTE][quote name='Derfel']I think you're missing part of the point of these games, and that's the party aspect. The new Rock Band allows you to pack seven people into a room who may or may not have any amount of musical talent and have a blast playing along with some of your favorite songs.[/QUOTe] I hope we're not going to be accused of being off-topic but I'm gonna disagree with both of you to an extent. There's no way a game can match the freedom of owning an actual instrument true. But that's not why we buy Guitar Hero. That's sorta like comparing sheet music with the CD. Sure you can do much more with sheet music but sometimes you just want to enjoy the song. Same with this. We're not buying these plastic instruments to play music for our family/friends we're doing this to have fun with the songs. Impressing a girl with your guitar hero skills isn't like impressing her with your piano skills. It's more like impressing her with your morph ball triple and quad jump skills.

I'm gonna go against Derfel now because while in theory playing these games at a party sounds like fun. They're doing the same thing FPSs did. They've becoming too hardcore. It's no longer fun. It's my understanding that pro mode is just like playing a real guitar.. well news flash. I can't play Guitar and i have no interest in it. That's why I bought the game instead of a real instrument. I realize it sounds like I'm saying we should design games for the lowest common denominator and that's obviously not what we want but seriously the instrument genre has kinda jumped the shark into hardcore only territory like the FPS. The reason it's not so bad with FPS is because there's like 30 different series and 10 new ones each year so we get variety. With the instrument games we pretty much have two. And they're both pretty hardcore at this point.

Again nothing against Derfel or VetraX personally. I'm sure you're stand up guys just bringing my objections to the arguments.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I hope we're not going to be accused of being off-topic but I'm gonna disagree with both of you to an extent. There's no way a game can match the freedom of owning an actual instrument true. But that's not why we buy Guitar Hero. That's sorta like comparing sheet music with the CD. Sure you can do much more with sheet music but sometimes you just want to enjoy the song. Same with this. We're not buying these plastic instruments to play music for our family/friends we're doing this to have fun with the songs. Impressing a girl with your guitar hero skills isn't like impressing her with your piano skills. It's more like impressing her with your morph ball triple and quad jump skills.

I'm gonna go against Derfel now because while in theory playing these games at a party sounds like fun. They're doing the same thing FPSs did. They've becoming too hardcore. It's no longer fun. It's my understanding that pro mode is just like playing a real guitar.. well news flash. I can't play Guitar and i have no interest in it. That's why I bought the game instead of a real instrument. I realize it sounds like I'm saying we should design games for the lowest common denominator and that's obviously not what we want but seriously the instrument genre has kinda jumped the shark into hardcore only territory like the FPS. The reason it's not so bad with FPS is because there's like 30 different series and 10 new ones each year so we get variety. With the instrument games we pretty much have two. And they're both pretty hardcore at this point.

Again nothing against Derfel or VetraX personally. I'm sure you're stand up guys just bringing my objections to the arguments.[/QUOTE]

Um... what? Pro mode is an option, not a requirement. Rock Band on easy mode is as casual as casual can be, believe me. The added advantage of the pro mode is that if you want to, you can have an instrument that isn't just for the game, but is an actual real instrument to be used as you like. The best of both worlds.

I knew i forgot something.

non-pro mode feels like a Wii/PS2 port. It's like an afterthought. Back during GHIII/RB Hard was separate topic. Based on the discussion you hear now around the gaming sphere you might forget there's a mode other than Pro/Hard (especially with GH since it's the harder game I'm told) because noone talks about it. Sure noone ever talks about Call of Duty on Easy mode but in general with other games people talk about difficulty levels. I can remember Halo, Infamous, and GoW specifically people talking about the differences in the hard mode vs normal. With the instrument games everyone pretty much just starts at Hard/Pro.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I knew i forgot something.

non-pro mode feels like a Wii/PS2 port. It's like an afterthought. Back during GHIII/RB Hard was separate topic. Based on the discussion you hear now around the gaming sphere you might forget there's a mode other than Pro/Hard (especially with GH since it's the harder game I'm told) because noone talks about it. Sure noone ever talks about Call of Duty on Easy mode but in general with other games people talk about difficulty levels. I can remember Halo, Infamous, and GoW specifically people talking about the differences in the hard mode vs normal. With the instrument games everyone pretty much just starts at Hard/Pro.[/QUOTE]

Maybe all us true HRDCRRE video gamer gamers start at Hard/Pro, but my family (the only people I play it with) start at Easy, moving up to Medium if they do well.:booty:

[quote name='Wolfkin']I knew i forgot something.

non-pro mode feels like a Wii/PS2 port. It's like an afterthought. Back during GHIII/RB Hard was separate topic. Based on the discussion you hear now around the gaming sphere you might forget there's a mode other than Pro/Hard (especially with GH since it's the harder game I'm told) because noone talks about it. Sure noone ever talks about Call of Duty on Easy mode but in general with other games people talk about difficulty levels. I can remember Halo, Infamous, and GoW specifically people talking about the differences in the hard mode vs normal. With the instrument games everyone pretty much just starts at Hard/Pro.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're playing with some kind of crazy talented people, but I don't know anyone who's started out on hard, and Pro mode actually requires special instruments or add-ons (outside of the keys, which natively support Pro). For people who are just playing to have fun in a group, especially a group of non-gamers, easy and medium can be just as entertaining. Also, you do realize that Pro mode itself has four separate difficulty levels, right?

Out of town for the weekend. Probably won't be able to update the front page until Monday at best. Not sure anyone cares... but at least going to mention it.

[quote name='Jogurt the Yogurt']
They let you buy it a day after the sale was supposed to be...? I missed that one, but I would love to try to sneak it by them today.[/QUOTE]

According to RFD, the regular price for Nier has been dropped to $10, though I can't really confirm that personally, it would explain how someone got it the day after the sale.

[quote name='JGonspy']According to RFD, the regular price for Nier has been dropped to $10, though I can't really confirm that personally, it would explain how someone got it the day after the sale.[/QUOTE]

well it was not updated online for sure.

[quote name='JGonspy']According to RFD, the regular price for Nier has been dropped to $10, though I can't really confirm that personally, it would explain how someone got it the day after the sale.[/QUOTE]

That... would be insane. But awesome.

[quote name='Jogurt the Yogurt']That... would be insane. But awesome.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to insanity :)

Stopped by my local EB, and was informed that Nier dropping to $10 is part of the Square Enix price drops! Grabbed a used PS3 copy (sans manual) for $8!

I know my local EB still had Nier (PS3 version) priced at $9.99 the day after it was a door crasher. They used a red price sticker too to highlight that it was a cheap game.

I was the guy who got Nier a day after the sale :D But on the website, it went back up in price. When I bought it, they had the white stick on it.

Trama Team would be awesome at, say, $10 :D

i've been debating if I should get a madden game so my nephews have something to play. They keep asking me when I'm getting Call of Duty.. but they're 13 so even if I did have it they're not playing on my watch. Outside of Halo:CE, Brawl, and NSMB sports are the only games I've seen them show interest in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back