Eddie Guerrero's wrestling topic (RIP 1967 - 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note......I work for the Spurs and have an office inside the SBC Center. I was there a few weeks ago when Smackdown was in town and had a chance to meet everyone backstage including Eddie. He was such a nice person to meet and talk to. He was very respectful to everyone there. That video was very hard for me to watch personally. I am not going to judge him on any mistakes that he has made in his life, I am in no way in a position to do so. He earned my respect for life when I talked to him. I still can't believe that he has passed. You will be missed Eddie.

[quote name='mcgavin27']Did they found out the cause of death yet?[/QUOTE]

It will be a couple of days since I'm sure they're doing an autopsy.

Wow, I don't really know what to say. It's going to be hard as hell for anyone on the WWE roster to do their job tonight with one of their biggest personalities passing away today. RIP Eddie. You'll be missed dearly.

Toxicology reports (what most people will pay attention to with a person with a notorious substance abuse past) take several weeks (more than 4, typically).

Yeah. I really don't know what they are going to do. There really wasn't anyone like Eddie. It's not like when people say it just to be nice. It's true.

R.I.P. Eddie.

While I was never a huge fan of Eddie's, I can truly, honestly say that I respected him and his work. I always thought he did a wonderful job in both WCW and WWF/WWE. I am really shocked and saddened to hear this news, this is a sad day.

[quote name='onetrackmind']i think tomorrow ill make up a couple eddie sigs if anyone wants one llet me know.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. I may do some as well.

I woke up today and signed on to MySpace, first thing. I noticed a bulletin from my friend Rachael stating that a WWE wrestler had died. I figured it was a joke just like so many other bulletins... but sadly, it was not. The official WWE.com headline confirmed that one of my favorite wrestlers, Eddie Guerrero, had passed away in Minneapolis at the age of 38.

I haven't been this shaken up about a wrestler's death since Owen Hart died on May 23, 1999. I'm not sure which has affectedme more, either. With Owen, I was watching the pay per view where he fell from the rafters. I had some time, if only an hour, to prepare for his death, but I still cried some. In regards to Eddie, however, I never saw it coming and I have been crying for the better part of an hour.

As a wrestling fan of 14 years, watching every week, I've grown very attached to a lot of these guys. I have been around the business somewhat (although I'm certainly not claiming to be a part of it in any way) and I know people who wrestle professionally and itis their passion. Non-fans will say all sorts of things discrediting the profession, but it's a big part of my life and I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who wrestle for a living.

Eddie was a guy I always looked up to since I first saw him, when I began watching WCW in 1997. Not only was he greatly entertaining and an amazing performer in the ring, but at 5'8", he was the same height as me and showed me that a guy my size could make it in a big man's business. More importantly than that, however, by all accounts, he was a wonderful father, husband, son, brother, friend, etc.

Aside from the similarities in size that I could relate to, Eddie had a history of drug and alcohol abuse. This was something I could relate to, because I have had similar problems, although not nearly on the level that he did. I've had serious issues with alcohol and painkillers before. Eddie was a role model in that he was able to overcome his problems, even after losing his job and his wife, and was able to get all that back, become more successful than ever, and remain sober for the last 4 years.

Forgive me if this isn't as coherent as I'd like, but I'm still pretty upset. I can't even begin to imagine how his family and friends feel.

Thank you so much, Eddie, for all the hard work and sacrifices you made in order to entertain us, the fans. We'll miss you dearly.

i still remember that whole thing with reys kid. It was one of the funnier things that he did. with that whole bedtime story angle .............

i still thnk to this day his frog splash was one of the better finshers... RVD wishes he could do as good as a frog splash eddie did

i havent watched wrestling in a few years, but i did when eddie was wrestling in wcw and wwe...he was one of my favorite wrestlers and one of the most entertaining...RIP, Eddie :(

I don't actually watch wrestling much anymore, but last weekend, I went with friends to some WWE matches in Champaign...and he was there. Really shocked me to see this thread...RIP Eddie.

I'm stunned. The first time I saw Eddie wrestle was in ECW with Dean Malenko. That was some good stuff. May he rest in Peace.

[quote name='Rig']I don't actually watch wrestling much anymore, but last weekend, I went with friends to some WWE matches in Champaign...and he was there. Really shocked me to see this thread...RIP Eddie.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. At my first house show, on September 27th, 1997, I saw Brian Pillman wrestle 8 days prior to his death.

Ironically, that event also took place at Assembly Hall in Champaign, Illinois, and Pillman passed away in the same city as Eddie.

This is some terrible news to read. What do you guys think will happen as far as Smackdown vs Raw 2006 is concerned? Its probably already gold by now, but I'd like to think if it wasnt they would dedicate the game to him perhaps and add him as a WWE Legend instead of on the default roster.

Eddie was always my favorite wrestler. My last name is Guerrero, and I grew up watching him. I really cant think of what to say...

EDIT: OTM or guilewas nk, if it couldn't be too much trouble i would love one of those Eddie sigs... thats really thoughtful of you guys...

It's pressed, sealed, and on the truck to your store. There's nothing that can be done to it. I don't know if the same can be said for the PSP version, but I doubt anything will be added to that, either.

[quote name='Msia']This is some terrible news to read. What do you guys think will happen as far as Smackdown vs Raw 2006 is concerned? Its probably already gold by now, but I'd like to think if it wasnt they would dedicate the game to him perhaps and add him as a WWE Legend instead of on the default roster.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that they would recall it as it is supposed to be sold on Tuesday. I have heard that there is a scene with Undertaker/Eddie in which Eddie is put in a coffin in a casket match. I think it won't be much of a problem thought because it is obvious that it is just part of the game.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I doubt that they would recall it as it is supposed to be sold on Tuesday. I have heard that there is a scene with Undertaker/Eddie in which Eddie is put in a coffin in a casket match. I think it won't be much of a problem thought because it is obvious that it is just part of the game.[/QUOTE]
Thanks I was under the impression this was coming out next Tuesday, I just hope next year maybe something can be done to accommodate this situation.

I remember Eddie made an instant heel of himself; after he was fired by WWF the first time (2001? 2002?) for abuse, he spent a short time in HWA to get rid of the rust before heading back to WWF.

He came out last (and I assure you he was closer to 5'6" than 5'8"), of course, and all 60 of us booed him out of the building. (Keep in mind this was during his 'mamacita'-era Latino Heat gimmick), immediately got on the mic and said "Horale, it's great to see all the mamacitas here in Cleveland!"

...HWA is in Cincinnati. Although the cities mutual hatred of each other is best symbolized in every Bengals/Browns game, it's far deeper and longer lasting than that. Guerrero was the most hated man in the building that night.

He didn't make things any better when, clearly uncomfortable, he said "I mean, Cleveland...Cincinnati!" Poor guy.

Although it's the most insignificant of things, having lost Eddie, an optimist will tell you that this hopefully means no more Kerwin White.

I'm still begging for a screencap of TNA's "major acquisition" if and when they show up. Nigel McGuinness is on the free pre-show! Badass!

For those who watched the press conference - does Vince McMahon strike you as someone out of touch with reality, or someone who just assumes that everybody knows his characters? I mean, Vince is only human, and probably very despondent over everyone's loss, but to treat the "lie, cheat, steal" aspect of Eddie's character as a positive just seemed really odd.

Also, only one woman asking questions was odd as well. Overall, I'm glad to see that Chavo kept his compsure so well, but Vince was just kinda weird to me. Maybe it's nothing.

[quote name='mykevermin']For those who watched the press conference - does Vince McMahon strike you as someone out of touch with reality, or someone who just assumes that everybody knows his characters? I mean, Vince is only human, and probably very despondent over everyone's loss, but to treat the "lie, cheat, steal" aspect of Eddie's character as a positive just seemed really odd.

Also, only one woman asking questions was odd as well. Overall, I'm glad to see that Chavo kept his compsure so well, but Vince was just kinda weird to me. Maybe it's nothing.[/QUOTE]

I thought so too. He just seemed...weird. Can't put words to it right now. Still at a lost. This fucking sucks...

RIP EDDIE

RAW SPOILERS

Afterwards, all the wrestlers came out. Chris Benoit was crying from the moment he came out of the curtain, and was perhaps more emotional than anyone. Vince McMahon then said some words about Eddie: "Eddie Guerrero has passed away. Eddie was in the prime of his life, in the prime of his career. Tonight we celebrate the life of Eddie Guerrero. He loved the business. He had a passion like no one else. Whether cheered or booed, he loved to perform for the fans. Eddie Guerrero's goal every night was to steal the show. He would want the show to go on. And so we shall."

They had a 10-bell salute for Eddie, and the crowd was silent for it. After this, they aired a tribute video set to Johnny Cash's rendition of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt." When the video was done, Vince said, "Viva La Raza!" Pretty much everyone was out for this, including Shane McMahon, who was crying as well. The fans chanted "Thank you, Eddie!"

END SPOILERS

So that's just the first segment; I **KNOW** I'm gonna bawl like a baby at that video, given my fixation with that particular musician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back