Eddie Guerrero's wrestling topic (RIP 1967 - 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the Eddie's clips on WWE's website. There is no way I'm going to be able to keep my composure during Raw or Smackdown. Seeing the clips w/his wife, especially, and trying to imagine what she's going through...she's now a widow who has to raise 3 girls. This woman can definitely use some prayers right now.

This has consumed me... I got home over 2 hours ago, checked the net and haven't been able to do anything but look at Eddie related material since. Even I'm getting a bit misty-eyed, and this is one horse that just forgot how to cry long ago.

This sucks...no more latino heat....wasn't my favorite wrestler but he was quite a character on wwe tv.

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero.....you'll be missed

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']This has consumed me... I got home over 2 hours ago, checked the net and haven't been able to do anything but look at Eddie related material since. Even I'm getting a bit misty-eyed, and this is one horse that just forgot how to cry long ago.[/QUOTE]

The best way to deal with death, in my experience, is to avoid it. I realize that people are strongly against that, that they feel that emotion needs to be let out, but I don't. I've had so many deaths over the past 3 years that i'm immune to them now, they're not even sad anymore, it's just like "Man.. we had some fun times.. alright, well i'll catch ya later".. that's how I approached this one. I started watching that video on his family after another poster here mentioned it and I'm talking to Saucy on AIM and i'm like "Man, fuck this".. it just doesn't seem real. I'm going to bawl like a bitch during Raw. Glad XBox Live has a mute button.

I've been watching him since his first days in WCW, when he was coming out in that red, white and black sparkly jacket with a mullet straight from the fifth inner ring of hell. I'm just so glad he got his day, I thought he was set to remain a midcarder forever (like Hardcore Holly).

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']This has consumed me... I got home over 2 hours ago, checked the net and haven't been able to do anything but look at Eddie related material since. Even I'm getting a bit misty-eyed, and this is one horse that just forgot how to cry long ago.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='neocisco']I just watched the Eddie's clips on WWE's website. There is no way I'm going to be able to keep my composure during Raw or Smackdown. Seeing the clips w/his wife, especially, and trying to imagine what she's going through...she's now a widow who has to raise 3 girls. This woman can definitely use some prayers right now.[/QUOTE]

Us 3, along with countless others, are all in the same boat. I was the same when I found out Dimebag was killed.

I think I know what you mean Scorch. I've just been so desensitized by death and whatnot that I just readily accept it as part of life, and of course an inevitable thing that everyone will face no matter what age they are. In situations like this, I will indeed miss Eddie, but what makes me really sad is thinking about what his wife and kids must be going through. That has to be tough.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']
I can't think of any sport that has ever had a star that was as big as Eddie Guerrero die in his prime. The closest thing I can compare this to is the death of Reggie White, shortly after his retirement. This would be like losing A-Rod or Tracy McGrady for the MLB or NBA. [/QUOTE]

Dale Earnhardt. Thurman Munson. Payne Stewart. Roberto Clemente.

The Blue Meanie just put this up on his blog

t’s always the ones you DON’T expect to die are the ones who always go too soon and Eddie Guerrero is a prime example of someone who we were robbed of today. I didn’t know Eddie that well but it the time I did get to meet him he exuded everything in which this business SHOULD be about. Honor, class and something Eddie had earned from anyone who ever met him and that is RESPECT.

They say that eyes are the windows to a person’s soul. Well, when I looked in Eddie’s eye I saw passion. Passion for his business and the passion he had for his family when he brought them to the shows. My DEEPEST condolences go out to the Guerrero family and they all will be in my thoughts. GODSPEED EDDIE!!

[quote name='Scorch']The best way to deal with death, in my experience, is to avoid it. I realize that people are strongly against that, that they feel that emotion needs to be let out, but I don't. I've had so many deaths over the past 3 years that i'm immune to them now, they're not even sad anymore, it's just like "Man.. we had some fun times.. alright, well i'll catch ya later".. that's how I approached this one. I started watching that video on his family after another poster here mentioned it and I'm talking to Saucy on AIM and i'm like "Man, fuck this".. it just doesn't seem real. I'm going to bawl like a bitch during Raw. Glad XBox Live has a mute button.

I've been watching him since his first days in WCW, when he was coming out in that red, white and black sparkly jacket with a mullet straight from the fifth inner ring of hell. I'm just so glad he got his day, I thought he was set to remain a midcarder forever (like Hardcore Holly).[/QUOTE]

When I was a junior in high school a friend of mine that I'd known since age 8 passed away. We had been in at least one class together every year (except 4th) since 3rd grade. At halftime of the school's basketball game he collapsed in the lockerroom and died on his way to the hospital. It was later revealed to have been from heart failure. I cried... Since then, no death has really affected me in the same way, as nothing has come close to being as unexpected and tragic. While Eddie's death is somewhat comparable, it's obviously not identical, as #1 I don't know Eddie Guerrero and #2 Eddie was 38, my friend was 16.

As for my "approach" to death, I guess now I just prefer to look at everything I can about the individual and really just reflect on the impact they had on my life. I'm sure when one of my relatives dies I'll probably finally break down, fortunately my uncle has survived 3 bouts with cancer, and my grandma maintains a strong bill of health despite being in her mid-80s.

... Obviously had Kurt Angle died I'm sure I would've cried a bit, but that's simply because I've met the man on several occasions and got the chance to talk to him one-on-one for over an hour.

This is one of the darkest days I've ever had to experience in my lifetime. I get home from a scary experience to find out that one of my all-time favorite wrestlers has died.

I'm trying to hold back tears right now. I know it might sound silly to cry over someone I didn't know personally, but you have to understand...

I'm from Texas, and the Guerrero family means so much down here... especially to the Hispanic community. My father grew up watching Gory and Chavo Sr., and I remember growing up seeing Chavo Jr. and Eddie. Everything from local/regional shows to WCW and WWE. I grew up watching Eddie, and he's always been one of my favorites.

How can someone be there on the screen, healthy and happy one day, and be gone the next? It's heartbreaking to realize that I will never see Eddie again.

One of my favorite memories is a WCW taping. Eddie was a huge heel in WCW at the time, but you wouldn't know that from our show. There were Eddie signs everywhere. There was even a girl who had a sign pointing to her boyfriend in the next seat, saying "Eddie Guerrero's twin," and the guy did look like Eddie.

When Eddie's music hit, the place erupted in cheers. Eddie had to keep the stone-faced, I hate you all look for his character, but you could tell that he was touched by the cheers. And his frog splash was a little higher that night...

Also, when I attended my first SmackDown! live taping last year, it was Eddie and RVD in a tag match...

"Orale, Corpus Christi, Tejas! Orale, mi raza! It's good to be home!"

Also, I remember seeing him at a house show with Tajiri as his tag partner. He had the crowd loving him as usual, and Tajiri even spoke some Spanish and had the crowd roaring.

Here's some photos I just found of Eddie. I will always cherish these. They're a bit blurry, but still great:

Rest in Peace, Eddie. I'll never forget you, and thank you for the joy you brought to me when you stepped through those ropes...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Dale Earnhardt. Thurman Munson. Payne Stewart. Roberto Clemente.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected... I guess I just didn't think of those as I'm not a huge Racing, Golf or Baseball fan. Lou Gehrig comes to mind too, but his death was obviously expected at the time he died. In fact I'd say Dale's death is easily comparable to Guerrero's. I've always wondered why WWE never sponsored much of anything racing related, I know WCW did for awhile.

I'm trying to hold back tears right now. I know it might sound silly to cry over someone I didn't know personally, but you have to understand...

Not really. We may not have known him personally, but many, many of us have watched him every week for the past 5 years and know a lot of his past, so in a way, we feel connected to him. They've ran vignettes on his family and children, and while most of us don't know him personally, we can tell you his name, his wife's name, his children's names, his past, etc.

That's why I cried for Owen. I had met him not even a year before he died. I still have his poster autographed with The Rock locked up. Somewhere. I need to find that.

/edit: I still have an unopened WCW toy car from back in the day.

It's how you live, not how you die, and you never know when your number is up, so don't think you'll do something tomorrow because there may not be one.

I feel that is relevant...

for those wondering that's a quote from Sean Waltman after Curt Hennig's passing

What's hitting me now is that I'm never going to see another live Eddie Guerrero match, I'll never be in attendance to watch him walk or ride down the aisle. We'll never get to see Eddie turn on Batista as so many expected to happen. I think I'm going to have to get the Eddie Guerrero DVD, I already had it on my wish list at DDD and was debating on getting it now or later, but there's no time that seems more pertinent than now to own that dvd.

A truly sad day for wrestling fans. :( I agree with what everyone has said so far. Chavo has to change that Kerwin character and Survivor Series should be dedicated to Eddie and his family. He will be missed. Thanks for the memories Eddie, y "Viva La Raza!"

Non-spoiler Raw and SD cards... Not sure which matches are on which show:

Ken Kennedy vs. Val Venis
Big Show/Kane vs. MNM
Angle vs Shelton
HBK vs Mysterio
Divas Battle Royal
Simon Dean vs Eugene
Regal vs Flair
Cena vs Orton
Hardy vs Carlito
Cade/Murdoch vs LOD
Chavo vs JBL
Cruiserweight Battle Royal
Chris Benoit Vs Triple H

My friend Jed, whom I attended WrestleMania with, lives in Minnesota and was at the show. Here is a comment from him:

"I will say this much, I am somewhat liberal on ratings, but Angle/Benjamin, HBK/Rey, Regal/Flair (albeit it was a short match), Chavo/JBL and HHH/Benoit are all tremendous TV matches (meaning over ***) from how I saw them live tonite. Well worth going out of your way to see these shows this week.

This weeks shows are going to be significant in more ways than one, just because there was zero effort even botherering to promote the SS ppv at all. And there was no angles ran at all, etc. Just pure wrestling matches with some very emotional athletes who made a point to go out of their way to do the best they could given the circumstances."

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I was wondering...

Do you think it would be too soon, or in bad taste... to induct Eddie into the Hall of Fame at WrestleMania 22?[/QUOTE]

No, I think it'd be very appropriate to do so at this WM. Afterall Eddie would've surely had an impact on this year's WM, especially with Batista out right now.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']This is one of the darkest days I've ever had to experience in my lifetime. I get home from a scary experience to find out that one of my all-time favorite wrestlers has died.

I'm from Texas, and the Guerrero family means so much down here... especially to the Hispanic community. My father grew up watching Gory and Chavo Sr., and I remember growing up seeing Chavo Jr. and Eddie. Everything from local/regional shows to WCW and WWE. I grew up watching Eddie, and he's always been one of my favorites.

How can someone be there on the screen, healthy and happy one day, and be gone the next? It's heartbreaking to realize that I will never see Eddie again.

One of my favorite memories is a WCW taping. Eddie was a huge heel in WCW at the time, but you wouldn't know that from our show. There were Eddie signs everywhere. There was even a girl who had a sign pointing to her boyfriend in the next seat, saying "Eddie Guerrero's twin," and the guy did look like Eddie.

When Eddie's music hit, the place erupted in cheers. Eddie had to keep the stone-faced, I hate you all look for his character, but you could tell that he was touched by the cheers. And his frog splash was a little higher that night...

Also, when I attended my first SmackDown! live taping last year, it was Eddie and RVD in a tag match...

"Orale, Corpus Christi, Tejas! Orale, mi raza! It's good to be home!"

Also, I remember seeing him at a house show with Tajiri as his tag partner. He had the crowd loving him as usual, and Tajiri even spoke some Spanish and had the crowd roaring.

Here's some photos I just found of Eddie. I will always cherish these. They're a bit blurry, but still great:

Rest in Peace, Eddie. I'll never forget you, and thank you for the joy you brought to me when you stepped through those ropes...[/QUOTE]

Saucy, you got me teary eyed now man.

I didn't know about this until Fox News just ran the announcement during their news headlines at 3:30AM.

I don't know what to say, this is beyond tragic.

Eddie Guerro had overcome numerous obsticles in his life personally and professionally. I'm really at a loss for words.

I used to be an avid WWE/F fan and have become so bored with the product in recent years. One of the few bright spots on their roster and on TV to me was Eddie Guerrero. He was entertaining to listen to, a fantastic worker and one of the few personalites on WWE programming I actually enjoyed watching and performing.

While obviously not Vince's idea of a WWE Superstar due to his limited physique the man could wrestle with anyone and make them look good. I really find this death more tragic and heart wrenching than Owen Hart's. Owen was a terrible in ring accident this just seems so, I don't have the words for it.

I'm just really saddened by this news. No one can fill his shoes. Not just from a wrestling standpoint but from an inspirational standpoint. I'm sure we're going to hear more than a few stories about addicts who were able to use Eddie as their role model for cleaning up their lives as a result of his struggles and overcoming them.

Such a waste, such a shame. May he find peace in death that he fleetingly had in life.

God's speed Eddie Guerrero.

This might not be the best time to bring this up, but it's very pertinent... what happens to Smackdown now? Their two best guys, Eddie and Batista are gone. Maybe now would be a good time to end the brand extention, right after Survivor Series.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']
I'm just really saddened by this news. No one can fill his shoes. Not just from a wrestling standpoint but from an inspirational standpoint. I'm sure we're going to hear more than a few stories about addicts who were able to use Eddie as their role model for cleaning up their lives as a result of his struggles and overcoming them.
[/QUOTE]

I honestly can only think of 2 other people that are of the same caliber, and I think everyone knows who: Angle and Benoit.

[quote name='Genocidal']This might not be the best time to bring this up, but it's very pertinent... what happens to Smackdown now? Their two best guys, Eddie and Batista are gone. Maybe now would be a good time to end the brand extention, right after Survivor Series.[/QUOTE]

The winner of the Bischoff/Long match could be GM of both shows perhaps?

My gut tells me that at Survivor Series Eddie was going to turn on Batista and cost the SD team the match, or something like that... this is just horrible

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']I just can't believe that Eddie Guerrero is gone...[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone can... It's all so surreal...

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']
[/QUOTE]

I mentioned this earlier, but while I wasn't nearly as bad as Eddie, nor was I using illegal drugs, I was at least in some stage of addiction. Unlike him, fortunately, I was able to control my problems without having to quit everything altogether. They were more about me trying to cope with outside circumstances rather than feeling a dependency for pills and alcohol themselves, though.

Eddie's story wasn't my only reason for changing my lifestyle, but it certainly helped encourage that change.

Before I try to go to sleep tonight, I just want to say thank you to Scorch for putting together such a fine tribute topic for Eddie. Also, thank you for sharing his WCW themes; listening to them brings a smile to my face and helps ease the pain a little bit.

Also, I'm hoping that we can get together for SmackDown! chat this Friday in addition to RAW chat tomorrow. Even if we don't talk much because of all the emotion from the tribute shows, I think it would be great if we paid tribute to Eddie by watching the shows together.

Good night, friends.

I heard that the original plan for the smackdown tapings tonight was to have a triple threat match between Batista/Orton and Guerrero. With Orton or Eddie winning the title due to Batista being injured and requiring time off for surgery. Now with Eddie gone, Batista injured, Christian quiting, it seems Smackdown is losing talent left and right. Hopefully they can bring in some more talent from RAW or something.

This is what I think is going to happen now

-Batista will forfeit the title due to a injury, and be out for a few months. Smackdown will then hold a tournment to crown a new champion (Hopefully Undertaker, or Benoit)

-Randy Orton will face Matt Hardy at Survivor Series, with Benoit prob wrestling Booker T for the US title, so Hardy, Orton, Benoit, and Booker T are out of the picture for replacing the Smackdown team. So I think Undertaker will make his return and be on the Smackdown team. Make sense since Raw has Big Show/Kane/HBK and Smackdown now only will have Lashley/JBL/Rey if Batista is out from the injury, adding Taker to the team will help balance the size out.

And, once again Thank You Eddie for all the memories. Rest in Peace

[quote name='Matt Young']I mentioned this earlier, but while I wasn't nearly as bad as Eddie, nor was I using illegal drugs, I was at least in some stage of addiction. Unlike him, fortunately, I was able to control my problems without having to quit everything altogether. They were more about me trying to cope with outside circumstances rather than feeling a dependency for pills and alcohol themselves, though.

Eddie's story wasn't my only reason for changing my lifestyle, but it certainly helped encourage that change.[/QUOTE]

I doubt there's many users on CAG that have struggled with addiction as much as me...

With Benoit set to face Booker T, there's really only one man fitting to replace Eddie Guerrero on the SD team, and that's his nephew Chavo. I could see Taker replacing Batista as well.

From Chris Jericho's website:

I am devastated by the news of Eddy's passing and I am so sad...

I've lost alot of friends over the years but this one hurts the most by far.

I had the pleasure of meeting Eddy in Mexico City almost 14 years ago and we've been close ever since (although it didn't start that way!) He is one of my favorite people that I've ever met in the wrestling business, as well one of the greatest performers I've ever seen and had the pleasure to work with. One of my favorite times in my career was when Eddy and I were an underutilized, underpushed, hell, almost non-exisitant tagteam, that were thrown together randomly in WCW. But there was a chemistry there that existed becuase we had mutual respect for each other and we both loved what we were doing. One of my most cherished matches was myself and Eddy vs Chris and Dean in Knoxville, on a benefit show for our dear friend Brian Hildebrand. All four of us started the same way and had the same love and respect for the business, for Brian and for each other...it was a magical night. My best match of 1997 was against Ed at Fall Brawl that year. He was as talented as they come and a true class act.

He was also so humble and a true family man and most importantly a warrior for God. He taught me so much about wrestling and about being a man and it is an honor to call him a true brother and friend.

I have so many classic Eddy stories that I would love to share, but instead I'm just going to go and cry myself to sleep remembering what an awesome human being Eddy was and will always be...

May God bless your family and your soul and may he keep you safe forever putillo falso....I love you my brother...

Love your chapete

At the risk of glossing over the somber mood of the thread (if I haven't said it already, one of you certainly did so more succinctly than I could have anyway!), Guyver, thanks for the vidcap!

I owe you a beer next time I'm in south Florida (tho' you strike me as a cuba libre drinker).

[quote name='mykevermin']!

I owe you a beer next time I'm in south Florida (tho' you strike me as a cuba libre drinker).[/QUOTE]

lol that is funny.. cube libre drinker.. lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back