Elden Ring General DIscussion

io - yeah it was the Sofria Well. I was doing just fine, but there are some ghostly orc archers which are like snipers and my Confessor is far too mortal for them. I'll come back once I'm more durable.

I think I found the 2-boss catacombs with the "super skeletons" that won't die the normal way, but it turns out you can just kill the "summoner" who's usually nearby holding a torch of sorts and all of the skeletons immediately die also.
I don't think the one I'm talking about has summoners Every enemy was a skeleton. The very first one by the site of grace you can kill it's orb but the later ones have black orb things that you can't. But you can kill them outright at first with a Holy damage L2 attack. It is Black Knife Catacombs.

Edit: I looked this up in the Wiki and you are right. I never thought those were necromancers summoning the skeletons. I just though they were different skeletons using magic attacks - I thought they didn't die either when I killed them normally but it may have just been because there were other skeletons around attacking me. Regardless, the Holy Damage L2 attacks do permanently take out the summons which is a little easier than getting past them to get to the necromancers.

io - yeah it was the Sofria Well. I was doing just fine, but there are some ghostly orc archers which are like snipers and my Confessor is far too mortal for them. I'll come back once I'm more durable.
YES, those guys are a pain in the ass. And they will snipe you from far away too. I enjoyed going back in there the other night and slaughtering them just for revenge ;). There is a flask upgrade thing in the far back left of the area though, where it is surprisingly safe. You can ride to that if you just book it - look for a stone bridge leading over a chasm. Once over there nothing will attack you. Plus there is a merchant up the ladder area in the middle that has some good stuff. You have to get past two of the ghost minotaur (or orc) guys though.

So last night I finally found the key to the second area castle place. You get an item that shows you where it is - I just kept getting distracted. I'm amazed how big that second area is. I keep opening up more parts of the map - it's crazy! Then I went into what I assume will lead me to a boss eventually. But once again I got distracted and went off the main path and made my way down a rotating elevator thing. Down there is a scary machine that chases after you with twin rotary saw blades. Spoilers for what can happen down there:

I actually almost killed it but one time it grabbed me and shoved me inside its meat grinder chest. Much to my surprise that teleported me to what I think is a late game area. It just seems to be a small portion of that area gated off from the rest though. Within that area you finally get to a boss version of the same machine, but there's *two* of them this time. I was actually able to get them down to half health but I gave up after a few tries. Anyway, this game continues to surprise me ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people on metacritic are trying to review bomb this game saying it has bad graphics.  I understand how in some ways the engine is dated, but, man, it looks pretty incredible to me:

[attachment=36758:Elden_Ring_lucaria_1.jpg]

Also, I finally got the bell bearing for smithing stones and can now buy level 1 and 2 stones from the merchant in the Roundtable Hold.  So now I can upgrade anything remotely interesting at least a couple levels (I think to +3?).

It isn't from an invading knight like the other one I got (for bones).  It was a mine boss in the Lakes area - a pretty easy one too.

Jodou, do you eventually get the ability to buy low level somber smithing stones or any more higher level regular ones?  I only had 10 level 1 somber stones and accidentally used one on something last night (I wasn't paying attention that it was somber and not regular).  Would be nice to know if there's a lot more available or not.

Is there any way to turn off invasions without losing the messages. I love reading the messages but was surprised by an invader. Luckily defeated him but do not want to face more of that.

Is there any way to turn off invasions without losing the messages. I love reading the messages but was surprised by an invader. Luckily defeated him but do not want to face more of that.
You shouldn't be invaded unless you have a friendly summons with you. It isn't like the previous games where you can get invaded at any time online or unless you go into half-health mode.

There are a lot of NPC invaders that get to you at different points though. Maybe it was one of them?

However there is one spot up near the flame worshipper ruins place in the Lakes area (where madness will build up on you until you take out the guys in a tower) where I got invaded. I almost beat him, but lost. I assumed it was an NPC and went back to the same spot and no invader. Now I realize I think it said something like "furled finger" invader, which I think means it was a real person. I wasn't doing coop - hadn't used an item or anything. So that was odd unless it was a glitch or there are certain places you can be invaded regardless. I hung out in the same area for a while afterwards though and it never happened again. If I had known it was a real person I would have been a little more careful and tried harder ;).

But, I mean, other than that one possible exception, I haven't seen a real person invader in my 60+ hours yet. I see the red summons signs that you can use to call an invader. And one time when I was helping someone, that host got invaded. Unfortunately I was in a different room and didn't get to fight him before the host beat him. But even when doing coop with people it seems rare to have invaders.

You shouldn't be invaded unless you have a friendly summons with you. It isn't like the previous games where you can get invaded at any time online or unless you go into half-health mode.

There are a lot of NPC invaders that get to you at different points though. Maybe it was one of them?

However there is one spot up near the flame worshipper ruins place in the Lakes area (where madness will build up on you until you take out the guys in a tower) where I got invaded. I almost beat him, but lost. I assumed it was an NPC and went back to the same spot and no invader. Now I realize I think it said something like "furled finger" invader, which I think means it was a real person. I wasn't doing coop - hadn't used an item or anything. So that was odd unless it was a glitch or there are certain places you can be invaded regardless. I hung out in the same area for a while afterwards though and it never happened again. If I had known it was a real person I would have been a little more careful and tried harder ;).

But, I mean, other than that one possible exception, I haven't seen a real person invader in my 60+ hours yet. I see the red summons signs that you can use to call an invader. And one time when I was helping someone, that host got invaded. Unfortunately I was in a different room and didn't get to fight him before the host beat him. But even when doing coop with people it seems rare to have invaders.
Ohh this was in the northern part of Stormhill region near that arena kind of structure. I don't play co-op and this guy was in red. But he never seemed to regenerate his health. So maybe it was an NPC invasion!

BTW I just defeated Margit the fell omen. I did summon the Godrik soldiers and they were really useful in diverting his attention :)

I was thinking I would complete all the other mini dungeons in this area before going here but randomly ended up in this fight!

I've had a lot of NPC invaders - probably 4 or 5 by now?  There are some that will spawn at night in certain locations too.

Nagakiba easily because it has longer reach and damage. You may want to consider Moonveil with an INT build as it is overall a better sword and offers more play variety with spells being optional still. Reason being you can unsheathe, stagger, crit, repeat. Certain talismans will allow you to infinite loop this since the critical refunds the cost of the unsheathe. Bosses are extremely vulnerable to this as well, so it can trivialize quite a few of them. Pretty slick.
Yeah I heard moonviel is pretty good I’m just a pure dexterity rn and wanna keep that dual wield with both swords being long af. I can’t wait to get the hand of malenia or whatever it’s called to see if it’s good with my nagakiba.

Anyone know btw if you can actually get the warrior starting class armor from a merchant or something or only by starting the game with that class? Also for Hero class? I guess Prophet too, I kinda want em all lol. I know a merchant sells Prisoner and Samurai sets tho

I've seen the Confessor starting set available, though I wouldn't recognize the one you're asking about even if I've seen it already, but I think probably all of them can be gotten somewhere.

Spoilers are concerning the second main boss:

Last night I pushed through
Raya Lucaria and beat both bosses.  It took a few tries on Rennala until I got two summons that were able to help.  The first few tries I had no idea what was happening in that first phase, and in the second the summons would die and she'd start summoning random ashes at me which was a bit too much.  When I finally did beat her, we got her before she started doing that.

And as for afterwards:

Anyway, unlike with the first area, it isn't clear where to go to power up the rune.  I assume I have to go up the tower above the Study Hall?  I went in there and took care of the mage and went up to the rafters where before there was a note about using ranged battle on the stairs (that are suspended above reach).  Didn't see that sign this time but there was one that said "item required".  I got the sorcerer head thing in Lucaria, but that wasn't it.  Without any spoilers, can anyone tell me what sort of thing I might need to do here?  I just want to know if I'm wasting my time and that's not really anywhere I can go now.   Like maybe the stairs come down later and I really need to be somewhere else for the rune. Or am I on the right track and should be able to get up there?

Another thing about that sorcerer head helmet (something I seem to see everyone wearing): I'm pretty sure there's a tower up in the NW section of the map with a magic-sealed door that requires that mask.  It's one of those towers that asks you to "solve the puzzle" but in this case I don't think the puzzle is finding
ghost turtles
like two others I found earlier.  Someone's comment says that the "head' is required and also maybe a gesture (and they are wearing that sorcerer head in the comment).  The thing is I don't have the gesture that they used (pointing to your head).  In any case, just the helmet itself didn't open the door.  Any spoiler-light pointers there? Like if it is a gesture, maybe the general area that comes from?  Is this something else I won't get till later?

One more thing: before I even got to the second boss, I found a way into a more advanced area (a particular plateau):

Atlus Plateau to be specific.  Found the blacksmith there and he sells the level 1 and 2 somber stones plus a limited amount of 3 and 4's, I think. So that answers my earlier question about those and means that you can power up any special items a little at least without worrying about resources.

Regarding the Study Hall, there's a questline (tied to one of the missable trophies and involving the witch Ranni who you should have met near the start area at a Church of Marika) where you get an item that allows you access to more of the building.

As for where to go next, I recommend exploring the left side of the Liurnia map, particularly a manor at the upper-left-ish side, then go back to Limgrave and start moving eastward.

Regarding the Study Hall, there's a questline (tied to one of the missable trophies and involving the witch Ranni who you should have met near the start area at a Church of Marika) where you get an item that allows you access to more of the building.
WTF?! Pretty sure I've never seen that person.

OK, looked it up and yeah, I did see her in the beginning like nearly everyone should have (it's how you get the Spirit Calling Bell). She has a different name then which threw me off. However, I never saw her second location:

"You'll first encounter Ranni when she gives you the Elden Ring Spirit Calling Bell, though she'll call herself Renna during this encounter, and she's a pretty mysterious NPC. She claims you'll never see her again, but if you head to Ranni's Rise in Liurnia, you can start her quest and help her out."

I guess I'll head over there and hopefully having beaten the second boss I'm not too late!

This has like a billion spoilers, but it's a short list of all the quest steps. Sounds like maybe I am still OK:

• Meet Ranni in Ranni's Rise at Caria Manor
  • Meet Blaid in Siofra River
  • Talk to Seluvis to get his letter of introduction for Selen
  • Talk to Selen to find out about Radahn
  • Talk to Blaidd about Radahn
  • Head to Redmane Castle
  • Defeat Radahn to free the stars
  • Head to East Limgrave and down into the star crater
  • Head to the centre of Nokron to get the Finger Slayer Blade
  • Return and give the blade to Ranni
  • Head to Renna's Rise and go through the portal
  • Collect the Miniature Ranni Doll and talk to it at a grace until it speaks
  • Defeat the shade of Blaidd near the Rot Lake to get the key
  • Head to the Raya Lucaria Grand Library to open the chest and get the ring
  • Head across Rot Lake and descend the ledges to climb inside the coffin
  • Defeat Astel, Naturalborn of the Void
  • Head into the Cathedral of Manus Celes and down through the hole
  • Put the ring on Ranni's finger
  • Claim the Dark Moon Greatsword

Those speed runner types are insane.  Apparently one guy has beat it in under an hour (using various glitches and bugs).  And another beat it in 2 1/2 hours without ever dying.  I'm sure the first "take no damage" run will come soon enough (if not already) too.  Unreal.

I've seen the Confessor starting set available, though I wouldn't recognize the one you're asking about even if I've seen it already, but I think probably all of them can be gotten somewhere.
Nvm I just found the prophet armor set I think it was in Altus plateau, hermit merchants shack. Also if I’m not mistaken, the blue cloth armor set is the set for warrior starting class which I got from academy gate, isolated merchant. I’m happy now I just need the hero class armor set which Nephili Loux wears

I think I'm going to have some serious withdrawal when I'm done with this--I don't want the game to ever end.
Even when I finally finish the game it just won’t end since there are so many missable stuff, items, tunnels, bosses depending on time of day, etc. once I’m done with almost everything (collecting talismans and stuff) I can always start a NG+ and do quests that I’ve missed and make my character overpowered

Jodou, have you figured out what the paintings are for? I keep finding more.

So last night I went into the
Carian study hall tower. Man, that mage in there is a f!*%ing bastard. I died so many times trying to take out his teleporting ass. I finally just ran past him and got the items up on the rafters. Up there were notes saying to use a projectile weapon on the suspended stairs. It did nothing. I'm guessing I probably have to kill the mage first. Like so many other things, I'll head back there later ;).
My loose understanding is they paint a picture (haha. . .) of a location to visit where you see those ghostly people sitting in chairs mostly. If you have their painting, it gives an item instead of a dialogue. I've never successfully stumbled across one that I can remember, but I haven't bothered pursuing it either. I did finish off the Beast Temple items last night though, from gathering all 8 Death Root in the game. I won't use them since they're for a faith build, but eh got another collectible sidequest done.

Moonveil is from the magma lizard boss in one of the mine dungeons, right? I *almost* had that bastard beat the other day but dodge rolled into his magma when he was at 10% health. One more health flask and I was set to beat him. Didn't get nearly that close on many other runs. I figured I'd tackle it when I power up a bit more.

Well, damn, not sure I want to go through all that for the sword. Is it one of the legendary ones for the trophy though?

As for the Havel's ring item. I found an equip load talsiman last night. That's in addition to the one you told me about earlier that boosts HP, equip weight and something else. This one does equip weight only and I think added 6 or 7 lbs? Is that the lower-powered version?

I discovered a new enemy type sitting outside that cave with 2 bosses. It's a golden knight that guards the entrance (so NeedleInTheHay you will know you are in the right place from that). One time when I killed it I got some gauntlets that are way better than anything I already had, but at the same weight as my other "heavy" armor. Every stat was better. I'd like to farm the whole set but I'd need to increase my equip load to wear it all.
Yep, that's the lizard. Incredible sword because of the unsheathe, still builds bleed, and scaling off INT. Most enemies stagger for a critical after one blow so it's a healthy competitor to Dark Moon for sure. And Dark Moon is one of the lego's, yep.

Yeah, you have the baby Arsenal Talisman; the other one isn't found til later and gives a ton more, like ~20%. I ended up dumping that one because I was finding the game's one-shots were becoming unbearable. The replacement boosted my physical defenses like 20% in some cases, across the board. I don't think there's a better talisman in the game TBH and is an absolute mandatory add to any build IMO. It's SUUUUUUUUUUPER late game though in the last area you'll likely visit so don't worry about it for now. It's crawling with those golden knights you found. . .in packs. ;)

Jodou, do you eventually get the ability to buy low level somber smithing stones or any more higher level regular ones? I only had 10 level 1 somber stones and accidentally used one on something last night (I wasn't paying attention that it was somber and not regular). Would be nice to know if there's a lot more available or not.
Yep, although I'm not sure if they're all available. Could be I haven't found the right boss yet for some of the highest stones but for somber I think I'm capped at 6 right now. Same goes for Grave flowers to upgrade your summons but those are so plentiful I don't think I ever bought any.

Yeah I heard moonviel is pretty good I’m just a pure dexterity rn and wanna keep that dual wield with both swords being long af. I can’t wait to get the hand of malenia or whatever it’s called to see if it’s good with my nagakiba.
Just got that sword last night, she's a tough one. Req is like 48 DEX so I didn't try it out but I'm not sure it's been tested widely enough to comment either.

My loose understanding is they paint a picture (haha. . .) of a location to visit where you see those ghostly people sitting in chairs mostly. If you have their painting, it gives an item instead of a dialogue. I've never successfully stumbled across one that I can remember, but I haven't bothered pursuing it either. I did finish off the Beast Temple items last night though, from gathering all 8 Death Root in the game. I won't use them since they're for a faith build, but eh got another collectible sidequest done.
I actually figured these out last night. They give you ashes of war. If you go to the sites you will see one of the white ghost people who will disappear after a few seconds and leave the item behind. I did 2 and got ashes for both. One I just stumbled upon randomly in the Atlus Plateau (not far from the orange wolf thing). My son was watching me play and in the middle of a battle with some overworld enemies a guy sitting in a chair appeared. Then when I tried to find him again, he was gone but a purple item was there. We were both going WTF happened there, but then I figured it out ;). I'm glad he was there to back up what I thought I saw though.

I went to Weeping Peninsula and got one there too. I think it was the Prophecy one. Go to the church in the upper left part of the map and go behind it and you will find the guy. There were a bunch of notes saying "Here" and such that looked out of place but that's what they were pointing to.

Yep, that's the lizard. Incredible sword because of the unsheathe, still builds bleed, and scaling off INT. Most enemies stagger for a critical after one blow so it's a healthy competitor to Dark Moon for sure. And Dark Moon is one of the lego's, yep.
I beat that lizard last night - it was much easier now that I'm about 20 levels higher than I was last time I went there. I'm around level 60 now by the way, The problem with this sword is that it requires Int, and, well, my Strength/Faith guy is dumb as a rock ;). I'm assuming I will have the same problem with the Dark Moon too? Do you know of any awesome Fath-scaling weapons?

I finally had to resort to looking up what I missed in Limgrave. I had missed an NPC (the seamster guy) and the entire dragon covenant thing. I was wondering why the game was telling me I could use dragon hearts to level something up I had never seen. You can get there super early - I just hadn't explored this one beach where the cave that leads to the island is. D'oh!

And here I am at 98 hours and reading online how people are done with the game in 50 or 60. I just don't get that. I'm barely 1/3 through the story. I did a lot of exploring but clearly I missed a lot just in the starting area.

I also had to look at the guide a bit for Ranni - so I got that started and I will continue that in my next post...

Yep, although I'm not sure if they're all available. Could be I haven't found the right boss yet for some of the highest stones but for somber I think I'm capped at 6 right now. Same goes for Grave flowers to upgrade your summons but those are so plentiful I don't think I ever bought any.
The blacksmith in Atlus Plateau sells the first few levels of somber so that is nice. I don't have all that many grave flowers. Also, can you tell me in what general area I would get the super summons? Not where specifically or how - just want to know when I should start looking for it.

So... That third boss... What a bastard he is.

Took my first shots at Radahn last night.  I was surprised how easy he was to get to.   I had been to the front of his castle way earlier - it is the rune farming spot I mentioned in the other thread where you can get the soldiers and dogs to fight each other.  But when I made my way through all the front defenses the gate was closed.

I had noticed the teleporter and it was inactive.  Well, after doing the Ranni stuff and dealing with Blaidd it was now open.  So I'm thinking you *have* to progress the Ranni story to even get into Radahn's castle.  So I wouldn't have missed that regardless.

Anyway, once in there its just go fight him.  I was a little disappointed as I thought I'd have a whole Stormveil castle like place to progress through.  But, no - it's here you go right into battle.

And man, WTF am I supposed to do there?  That purple bolt just destroys me.  After about the 5th try I managed to get all the summons out, but he just wiped them out and killed me when his health was about 2/3 .  And I bet the bastard probably has a second stage too, right?

I just have a hell of a time dodging those bolts.  They come straight at you so it's hard to get the timing.  I usually do it too early and get hit when I get back up.  They take 2/3 of my health and you don't have time to drink a flask before another comes in.  I'll give it some more tries tonight but maybe I need to get my level from 60 to 100 or something first?  I have no idea ;).

Can I get into the capitol city without doing Radahn?  Maybe I'll explore more.  I also have a few cave bosses I can go back to now and might be able to beat more easily.

Oh you like pics eh. . .apparently the forums don't like 4k pictures sigh. The upload to CAG is so jank it doesn't work either lol. Oh well.

xTmBUm5.png

JmhoJtv.png

3ywOuzQ.png

So... That third boss... What a bastard he is.

Took my first shots at Radahn last night. I was surprised how easy he was to get to. I had been to the front of his castle way earlier - it is the rune farming spot I mentioned in the other thread where you can get the soldiers and dogs to fight each other. But when I made my way through all the front defenses the gate was closed.

I had noticed the teleporter and it was inactive. Well, after doing the Ranni stuff and dealing with Blaidd it was now open. So I'm thinking you *have* to progress the Ranni story to even get into Radahn's castle. So I wouldn't have missed that regardless.

Anyway, once in there its just go fight him. I was a little disappointed as I thought I'd have a whole Stormveil castle like place to progress through. But, no - it's here you go right into battle.

And man, WTF am I supposed to do there? That purple bolt just destroys me. After about the 5th try I managed to get all the summons out, but he just wiped them out and killed me when his health was about 2/3 . And I bet the bastard probably has a second stage too, right?

I just have a hell of a time dodging those bolts. They come straight at you so it's hard to get the timing. I usually do it too early and get hit when I get back up. They take 2/3 of my health and you don't have time to drink a flask before another comes in. I'll give it some more tries tonight but maybe I need to get my level from 60 to 100 or something first? I have no idea ;).

Can I get into the capitol city without doing Radahn? Maybe I'll explore more. I also have a few cave bosses I can go back to now and might be able to beat more easily.
You can re-summon them infinitely. Crimson Rot from Rotten Breath also completely destroys him FYI. I was on the frontlines discovering how to beat him last week so we didn't have a lot of info. I finally just Pokemon'd him to death after figuring out how to avoid his one shot consistently. It's the fight I said was my least favorite and still is. Very boring IMO.

You can re-summon them infinitely. Crimson Rot from Rotten Breath also completely destroys him FYI. I was on the frontlines discovering how to beat him last week so we didn't have a lot of info. I finally just Pokemon'd him to death after figuring out how to avoid his one shot consistently. It's the fight I said was my least favorite and still is. Very boring IMO.
Interesting. Don't think I survived long enough to see the summons reappear. Also there were stupid comments I think around the summons which interfered with what has to be super fast summonings (or you get destroyed). I don't think I have Rotten Breath - is that one of the dragon incantations? Also don't think I'd be able to get close enough. Though at least when you get close he stops that purple bolt BS.

The first time I went in I was doing it as a summons myself and I noticed the host was still able to summon the NPCs. But then all of a sudden I was thrown to a loading screen and back in my world. The host probably got hit by the bolts - it happened so fast I didn't see a message I guess. Or it glitched.

What type of attack is that purple stuff? Magic? I could maybe try switching armor and talisman to be more resistant to whatever it is. If I could tank two shots of it that would make it more bearable. Unlike with Renalla's bolt attack, running sideways doesn't help. You have to roll I guess - but that timing is so hard.

I like the phrase "Pokemon'd him to death". LOL

Ooh, I remembered something else I need to do. Ofnir is telling me to get the second half of a particular medallion I have to go to talk to someone in a cave to the west of a particular area. The thing is, I'm pretty sure I cleared out that whole cave minus the boss. Is it maybe after the boss? That's one of the ones I was thinking of going back to clean up, so hopefully I'll find out tonight.

Oh yeah, I also now have the
Loathsome Dung-Eater
in my game. Wasn't expecting him to be an NPC.

Oh you like pics eh. . .apparently the forums don't like 4k pictures sigh. The upload to CAG is so jank it doesn't work either lol. Oh well.
I may have different upload privileges as a mod. However, even my pictures seem to be getting converted from full res to something smaller. Looks like the last one went from 1.6 MB to 96 KB. Still looks good though!

I beat that lizard last night - it was much easier now that I'm about 20 levels higher than I was last time I went there. I'm around level 60 now by the way, The problem with this sword is that it requires Int, and, well, my Strength/Faith guy is dumb as a rock ;). I'm assuming I will have the same problem with the Dark Moon too? Do you know of any awesome Fath-scaling weapons?
Sword of Flame & Night, another obvious GRRM nod to Berric in GoT for the sword he uses. It's probably the best faith weapon that I know of, or at least the coolest. Doing the Beast Sanctum quest will give you a ton of faith spells too including the claw from the network test, so that's worth doing if you're going that route.

I may have different upload privileges as a mod. However, even my pictures seem to be getting converted from full res to something smaller. Looks like the last one went from 1.6 MB to 96 KB. Still looks good though!
Yeah, I haven't tried in actually a decade now because the only things I uploaded were strategy guide covers for the CE guide thread we had then. Now it doesn't even let me upload, or at least the functionality is broken ever since 3.0. My how things change in 10 years ha.

Interesting. Don't think I survived long enough to see the summons reappear. Also there were stupid comments I think around the summons which interfered with what has to be super fast summonings (or you get destroyed). I don't think I have Rotten Breath - is that one of the dragon incantations? Also don't think I'd be able to get close enough. Though at least when you get close he stops that purple bolt BS.

The first time I went in I was doing it as a summons myself and I noticed the host was still able to summon the NPCs. But then all of a sudden I was thrown to a loading screen and back in my world. The host probably got hit by the bolts - it happened so fast I didn't see a message I guess. Or it glitched.

What type of attack is that purple stuff? Magic? I could maybe try switching armor and talisman to be more resistant to whatever it is. If I could tank two shots of it that would make it more bearable. Unlike with Renalla's bolt attack, running sideways doesn't help. You have to roll I guess - but that timing is so hard.

I like the phrase "Pokemon'd him to death". LOL

Ooh, I remembered something else I need to do. Ofnir is telling me to get the second half of a particular medallion I have to go to talk to someone in a cave to the west of a particular area. The thing is, I'm pretty sure I cleared out that whole cave minus the boss. Is it maybe after the boss? That's one of the ones I was thinking of going back to clean up, so hopefully I'll find out tonight.

Oh yeah, I also now have the
Loathsome Dung-Eater
in my game. Wasn't expecting him to be an NPC.
The summons reappear near armaments on the battlefield mainly, just gotta run around and find them. And yeah, the breath is a dragon ability and should only take 4 applications the entire fight. The purple stuff is magic but it basically one-shots so the idea is to never be the target and just hit n' fade with the breath.

Don't even attempt to do the medallion without a guide, unless you're born lucky. You might stumble upon it by accident or find messages that direct your attention while in the area, but otherwise it's another BS secret so obscure you wonder how people figure this stuff out.

And yeah, lol that summon is named correctly because he sucks. There's videos out there comparing the elite summons and they're one of the worst. The one I've used ever since I got it is still the best in slot summon though. Downright busted.

The summons reappear near armaments on the battlefield mainly, just gotta run around and find them. And yeah, the breath is a dragon ability and should only take 4 applications the entire fight. The purple stuff is magic but it basically one-shots so the idea is to never be the target and just hit n' fade with the breath.

Don't even attempt to do the medallion without a guide, unless you're born lucky. You might stumble upon it by accident or find messages that direct your attention while in the area, but otherwise it's another BS secret so obscure you wonder how people figure this stuff out.

And yeah, lol that summon is named correctly because he sucks. There's videos out there comparing the elite summons and they're one of the worst. The one I've used ever since I got it is still the best in slot summon though. Downright busted.
Not sure which summons you are talking about but I didn't mean I had that guy as a summons - he's just sitting in my Roundtable Hold not wanting to talk to me ;).

I did get my first "special" ashes and it was the Albinauric woman archer one. I powered it up thinking it would be better than my others. Haven't used it much yet though What is the name of the one you keep talking about?

I got a little further with that boss last night. But, man, the summons don't do much to him. I had one run that must have lasted 10 minutes and I still barely got him down 1/3. For one thing, I didn't realize until like 10 tries in that you could use your damn horse. I was running on foot to the summons at first. I just assumed it was like every other boss and no horse was allowed. Once on my horse I went in a huge circle and as long as you can keep the summons going at him he mostly leaves you alone after the initial part. But eventually there comes a time when the summons aren't on him or you just can't find one quick enough and he gets you. I may have to look into the scarlet rot thing though I didn't have that as an option to buy yet from the dragon thing last time I was there.

As for the medallion, I figured that was a required story thing. I did find the woman Ofnir was talking about and she's just telling me to do something in the capitol city I think, and I haven't even got there yet.

Sword of Flame & Night, another obvious GRRM nod to Berric in GoT for the sword he uses. It's probably the best faith weapon that I know of, or at least the coolest. Doing the Beast Sanctum quest will give you a ton of faith spells too including the claw from the network test, so that's worth doing if you're going that route.
I got this and I think it also scales to Int, doesn't it? It was nice because it has both magic and fire damage by default, so it would be cool to use. Or maybe it was just the Int requirement to use it was high and I would need to meet that first. (Edit: I looked it up, it scales to *both* Int and Fai, but does require 24 in both. My Int is at 12. That's a lot of levels to put into a stat I wasn't planning to use, but maybe it's worth it? I guess I can do that and then respec if needed.)

I was also so pissed about that boss fight that I had my son look up the bird rune farming area. I got there and leveled up my Vigor from 25 to 30. But, man, that area is super tough otherwise. The invasions were actually kind of fun, though it was clear that people were sitting there waiting for them. One guy had an OP helper that was just all over me (and teabagged me to let me know about it). I did at least kill one guy's helper one time. And I didn't realize there could be multiple invaders - one time another guy was with me but I could target him. Thought that was weird.

Last night I went back to a couple of the crystal dungeon bosses in Caelid thinking maybe my increased levels would help.  Nope.  The lizard is still pretty tough and the trio one still impossible - me and another summons still doing like 15 damage and barely moving the health bars.

I *may* take a break from this game tonight for the first night since it came out.  May play some of the new Destiny 2 content instead - I need something a bit more "casual" for one day ;).

Not sure which summons you are talking about but I didn't mean I had that guy as a summons - he's just sitting in my Roundtable Hold not wanting to talk to me ;).

I did get my first "special" ashes and it was the Albinauric woman archer one. I powered it up thinking it would be better than my others. Haven't used it much yet though What is the name of the one you keep talking about?

I got a little further with that boss last night. But, man, the summons don't do much to him. I had one run that must have lasted 10 minutes and I still barely got him down 1/3. For one thing, I didn't realize until like 10 tries in that you could use your damn horse. I was running on foot to the summons at first. I just assumed it was like every other boss and no horse was allowed. Once on my horse I went in a huge circle and as long as you can keep the summons going at him he mostly leaves you alone after the initial part. But eventually there comes a time when the summons aren't on him or you just can't find one quick enough and he gets you. I may have to look into the scarlet rot thing though I didn't have that as an option to buy yet from the dragon thing last time I was there.

As for the medallion, I figured that was a required story thing. I did find the woman Ofnir was talking about and she's just telling me to do something in the capitol city I think, and I haven't even got there yet.

I got this and I think it also scales to Int, doesn't it? It was nice because it has both magic and fire damage by default, so it would be cool to use. Or maybe it was just the Int requirement to use it was high and I would need to meet that first. (Edit: I looked it up, it scales to *both* Int and Fai, but does require 24 in both. My Int is at 12. That's a lot of levels to put into a stat I wasn't planning to use, but maybe it's worth it? I guess I can do that and then respec if needed.)

I was also so pissed about that boss fight that I had my son look up the bird rune farming area. I got there and leveled up my Vigor from 25 to 30. But, man, that area is super tough otherwise. The invasions were actually kind of fun, though it was clear that people were sitting there waiting for them. One guy had an OP helper that was just all over me (and teabagged me to let me know about it). I did at least kill one guy's helper one time. And I didn't realize there could be multiple invaders - one time another guy was with me but I could target him. Thought that was weird.
Oof, the ranged summons suck unfortunately. Mainly because they're glass cannons that can't take much heat so when you lose aggro and the boss gets on her--lights out. The one you want is Mimic Tear. ;)

And the int/faith sword is the only one that I know of for people running a faith build because it's pretty slick. The fire attack has a wide cleave and will one-shot a lot of lesser mobs with high faith, so people use it to farm or in their faith build. You could try Sacred Relic Blade since it has a conal wave attack, I think people have been experimenting with that as well.

Not sure I know the bird farm; the best early game farm is across the bridge from the Beast Sanctum where the ball falls off the cliff. Doesn't require anything but time, any build can do it. Make sure to get the golden scarab talisman first though since it gives like 20% bonus runes.

This game just keeps going on for me but I'm at the final final final area which is, once again, another huge endeavor. I'm at 90 hours in and fatigue is finally hitting me as areas and combat just meld together. I've even been taking days off from it and still, just feels repetitive now. It's certainly not as bad as DS3 was though. That game just went overzealous on the difficulty and made playing just a drain. I stopped tonight just before what I believe is the end boss area because I need to make sure 90 hours doesn't go to waste missing something useful this playthrough. If there was one thing I wish the game had an option to do, it's let you keep your items but reset your SL to 1 so you at least have a challenge again in NG+ except your gear setup is done. As of now, I don't see a reason to continue in NG+ TBH.

And this is why I procrastinate, because this morning I just found out about a secret boss that's literally beneath my nose where I'm at just before the end I would have missed and the sword it drops is an absolute PvP BOMBSHELL. Apparently if you get caught in the attack, even dodging away since it homes in--it will one-shot most players under 60 VIGOR. YIKES. It was one-shotting enemies that normally take me 3-4 swings with a +10 DMGS. . .and 60 INT. Busted, so looks like I'll be switching my build around LOL.

Well that's getting a nerf in the future lol. Otherwise expect all sorts of Anime shenanigans with how the animation looks and people trying to bait into attacking and getting caught by it.

Not sure I know the bird farm; the best early game farm is across the bridge from the Beast Sanctum where the ball falls off the cliff. Doesn't require anything but time, any build can do it. Make sure to get the golden scarab talisman first though since it gives like 20% bonus runes.
Warp to the Ledge-Approach site near Mohgwyn Palace, walk a bit down the path, turn left and fire an arrow at the big crow-thing walking around in the swamp area across-and-below the way. He'll run towards you and fall into the abyss for a sweet ~11k runes (13k+ with the Gold Scarab), and you can immediately reset him using the site of grace. It's much much faster than killing all the fish-albinoid things on the path and the only "cost" is arrows which you can easily buy from "Santa Claus" (merchant at Church of Elleh near the start).

Yes, that's the one I was using Vigilante. Now, I apparently have to get this Golden Scarab thing. I don't have it. I'm guessing maybe that drops from the yellow crystal earwig lizard thing I can't beat?

I thought maybe I was on to the Mimic Tear yesterday as I was in an area in Atlus where there was a magic puzzle and all the notes kept saying "Mimic ahead". But it just ended up being some stupid spells.

Jodou - I'm well over 100 hours and barely half way through ;)

I almost beat Radahn yesterday. I got the scarlet rot (didn't even know about the second dragon church) but it doesn't seem to apply consistently. Sometimes he'd melt and other times nothing and I was firing it off right in his face. So on my best run I hit him with it twice and kept the summons going. But then at around 1/5 health he disappeared and I had no idea where he was. Then all of a sudden he comes down from the sky with an arena-covering flame attack that one shot me from full health. WTF!? Gave up and watched TV after that.

Yes, that's the one I was using Vigilante. Now, I apparently have to get this Golden Scarab thing. I don't have it. I'm guessing maybe that drops from the yellow crystal earwig lizard thing I can't beat?

I thought maybe I was on to the Mimic Tear yesterday as I was in an area in Atlus where there was a magic puzzle and all the notes kept saying "Mimic ahead". But it just ended up being some stupid spells.
The Gold Scarab drops from the boss fight in the Abandoned Cave in Caelid--from the Smoldering Wall grace site, head east past one of those creepy dual-guillotine-armed things and walk on the tree branches to find the entrance. Fair warning: There is a lot of Scarlet Rot-causing stuff in there, so buff up your resistance to it and bring in a few boluses for healing it.

The Mimic Tear Ashes are in the Siofra River area, the path to it starting near the Ancestral Woods grace site and requiring a bit of jumping. I won't say any more so as not to spoil the fun of getting to it.

Beat the bastard tonight. Now gotta watch Turning Red with the kids but I want to see what’s next 😂

So I applied the rot early on but the time I was successful I just stayed far away from him and kept the summons going. One thing I didn’t realize till tonight was you could stay on the horse for the summons. I thought you had to jump off the horse each time so I had been doing that previous nights when I tried to beat him. That made it much much easier! I blame the lag for making me think that.

Thanks for the tips Vigilante. I was pretty much done with both of those areas so I would have missed them.

Jodou - I'm well over 100 hours and barely half way through ;)

I almost beat Radahn yesterday. I got the scarlet rot (didn't even know about the second dragon church) but it doesn't seem to apply consistently. Sometimes he'd melt and other times nothing and I was firing it off right in his face. So on my best run I hit him with it twice and kept the summons going. But then at around 1/5 health he disappeared and I had no idea where he was. Then all of a sudden he comes down from the sky with an arena-covering flame attack that one shot me from full health. WTF!? Gave up and watched TV after that.
LOL, yep that's the one-shot I was talking about. It resets rot so that's why 4 applications are mandatory, 2 per phase. Since you already got him down, what I did notice is he would always approach from the ocean sky. I think it's meant to correlate with the events that happen after he dies since it's the same direction.

For Mimic Tear you'll know it when you fight it. The grace after is even called that.

Beat the bastard tonight. Now gotta watch Turning Red with the kids but I want to see what’s next
Watched that with the wife last night as well lol. It was cute, but a one-time for us.

I put in another 5 hours yesterday to wrap up a few bosses I missed and didn't know about, only to realize the final final final area is just another boss to trigger ANOTHER EVENT. My fucking god this game doesn't know when to quit. So now I'm back at the finalest final of final areas where I quit because of fatigue. I'm also pissed because one of my boss soul dupes out of 7 is glitched and when I entered wouldn't let me do anything. I know for a fact I didn't use it but now I'm worried they actually cap us at 5 uses per playthrough with 7 locations in total as options. I still have one more place I can visit but it's an area that I *deep breath* once again didn't know about and I'm still trying to figure out how to get to. I'm not even mad, it's just I get being able to discover things is one thing but when you KNOW there's something and can't get to it, that feels like wasted time just wanting to progress. :wall:

Anyway, here's the Night & Flame build that people have been using for their faith weapon. Seems pretty legit lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUtOID6hOU

Warp to the Ledge-Approach site near Mohgwyn Palace, walk a bit down the path, turn left and fire an arrow at the big crow-thing walking around in the swamp area across-and-below the way. He'll run towards you and fall into the abyss for a sweet ~11k runes (13k+ with the Gold Scarab), and you can immediately reset him using the site of grace. It's much much faster than killing all the fish-albinoid things on the path and the only "cost" is arrows which you can easily buy from "Santa Claus" (merchant at Church of Elleh near the start).
There's a fun trick about those merchants that some of you may have stumbled on by accident. ;)

The Gold Scarab drops from the boss fight in the Abandoned Cave in Caelid--from the Smoldering Wall grace site, head east past one of those creepy dual-guillotine-armed things and walk on the tree branches to find the entrance. Fair warning: There is a lot of Scarlet Rot-causing stuff in there, so buff up your resistance to it and bring in a few boluses for healing it.

The Mimic Tear Ashes are in the Siofra River area, the path to it starting near the Ancestral Woods grace site and requiring a bit of jumping. I won't say any more so as not to spoil the fun of getting to it.
Got the scarab. The boss was pretty easy there. In fact I helped a bunch of people afterwards to farm rune arcs. However, if the mimic tear is in Sofria I don't think it's accessible from the Sofria starting area. I don't have an "Ancestral Woods" grace site, I looked it up and you get that in Nokria (which I just started last night). So at least it looks like I couldn't have gotten that one before now anyway. I stopped probably just short of that last night so that's next up for me.

Watched that with the wife last night as well lol. It was cute, but a one-time for us.

I'm also pissed because one of my boss soul dupes out of 7 is glitched and when I entered wouldn't let me do anything. I know for a fact I didn't use it but now I'm worried they actually cap us at 5 uses per playthrough with 7 locations in total as options.
And here I was thinking there were 5 duplicable boss remembrances and 4 locations to do it at. You are saying there's supposed to be 7 remembrances and 5 locations? So far I have the first three boss remembrances:
Godrick, Renalla, and Radahn
Are any of their items required for trophies or good for general usage? I was thinking I'd dup Radahn's for sure since they looked good. But then one of the others has a spell and maybe that's one of the legendary ones? What about all the weapons?

I probably need to add a list to the OP of which remembrances to dup and which not to dup.

Edit: DAMN, I looked up one article about it and while it didn't mention how many walking shrines there were or whether any of the boss items are necessary for trophies/achievements, it did list a *whopping* 15 rememberances that are available. Good lord! I also read that you can dup even after you use one. I had been saving mine thinking I had to duplicate them before I used them. Can someone confirm that you can still duplicate one after using it?

There's a fun trick about those merchants that some of you may have stumbled on by accident. ;)
Uh, no. Curious!

I did stumble completely accidentally on the second half of one of the medallion pieces:
The Dectus lift one. So is that not a main story thing? Should I just go up there and see what happens?

Edit: DAMN, I looked up one article about it and while it didn't mention how many walking shrines there were or whether any of the boss items are necessary for trophies/achievements, it did list a *whopping* 15 rememberances that are available. Good lord! I also read that you can dup even after you use one. I had been saving mine thinking I had to duplicate them before I used them. Can someone confirm that you can still duplicate one after using it?

Uh, no. Curious!

I did stumble completely accidentally on the second half of one of the medallion pieces:
The Dectus lift one. So is that not a main story thing? Should I just go up there and see what happens?
Lol yeah, that's why I was going crazy about how much stuff is hidden in this game. Don't worry though, a ton of those are stacked at the end of the game, almost one after the other. I also did forget to mention that I found out early last week you can use them and still dupe afterward. However, two of the seven sites will only dupe the secret bosses so save the regular 5 for only duping non-secret (for me there were only 3 secret bosses I found, but that might not be a full count). I confirmed there's no cap on duping, so one of my seven just legit bugged; pissed.

Here's the message I put down next to the merchants:
"Try attacking"
;)

And yes, always do all the things. No fear.

Beat the game tonight and they actually let you decide if you want to push NG+ or hang out for a bit to complete stuff. That's actually a really good change for anyone who wants to remain in NG for whatever reason. Since I saw no reason to push NG+ yet, I'm just chilling until more PvP builds emerge and it picks up. I will say for quite a lot of stuff I missed early on, there's no real lockouts on content in terms of quests. I was able to pick some stuff up from way early on and finish out for the rewards. Kinda nice since I had access to all the areas and could just knock them out quickly.

Not sure what to do now. . .Tiny Tina is in about a week and change then Lego Skywalker Saga (finally) two weeks after that. Guess I'll just celebrate this victory with some brew on St. Patty's.

bread's done
Back