Elden Ring General DIscussion

Lol yeah, that's why I was going crazy about how much stuff is hidden in this game. Don't worry though, a ton of those are stacked at the end of the game, almost one after the other. I also did forget to mention that I found out early last week you can use them and still dupe afterward. However, two of the seven sites will only dupe the secret bosses so save the regular 5 for only duping non-secret (for me there were only 3 secret bosses I found, but that might not be a full count). I confirmed there's no cap on duping, so one of my seven just legit bugged; pissed.

Here's the message I put down next to the merchants:
"Try attacking"
;)

And yes, always do all the things. No fear.
Wait, there's 7 sites to dup!? I'm so confused!

Also, for the merchants, does doing that just result in their
bell bearing going to the twin merchant in Roundtable Hold so that you can buy stuff there? I can see that being convenient because you could kill all the merchants in hard to get to places (like the one in Sofria) and then just buy their stuff more conveniently at the Hold. Still, though, I don't want to kill them.

I was watching my son play and he ran into Patches in Lakes of Liurnia and of course I had totally missed him there. Didn't realize he told you about the teleporting trick at the bottom of the rotating lift in Lucaria. I had just stumbled upon that on my own by getting eaten by the machine ;). But, that meant I also missed Rya. I was able to go back and start up her stuff.

it just so happened that I had gotten the Dectus lift medallion completed and much to my surprise
she meets you up there and simply teleports you from the top of the lift into the Volcano Manor. You get to skip all of Mt. Gelmer, which I had just started getting into a few days ago before getting distracted by something else. Of course I'll have to go back there anyway to look for stuff, but I thought that was interesting. So I assume I can safely do the "contracts" for them without ruining any endings? It sounds like they are anti-Erdtree so I was a bit worried about accepting their invite. If I kill these people, do I lose potential NPC summons for later boss fights?

And also, I lost the Twinned Armor that was pretty good and I was actually using.
I ran into what I guess is D's brother in Nokrim and it gave me a prompt to give it to him. Nothing happened. I looked it up and it looks like this is tied to a *much* later part of Ranni's quest and that I might get it back at that time. Still a bit bummed I won't have it for a while though. There's also a tough boss (twin clay fighter guys) right after him that my Mimic Tear did jack squat too. I guess I'll come back later.

Also saw my son run into the mini-boss at the bottom of Stormveil Castle. I had forgotten I wanted to go back and kill that guy which was super easy at my level (around 75 now).
Well worth it as it dropped a Sacred Tear.

Speaking of my ashes, I am at a weird spot with renowned ashes upgrades. I was able to bump that one we are all talking about to +5, but I am missing +6 and +7 upgrades. And yet I have all the ones past that. That's what happens when the game teleports you to bits of late game content as a "preview" I guess ;). So clearly I haven't reached some later-mid game areas yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sub-30 minute speed runs now. Good lord!

https://www.polygon.com/22977470/elden-ring-speedrun-record-video

The article is spoiler-free but I'm not watching the actual video until I finish the game.
Oh yeah, his vid popped up on YouTube for me like maybe 15 mins after it was posted. Uses a few of the teleport glitches and boss bugs, but still a flawless run to get there. Well played and unless new bugs are discovered, won't change much in the future.

Wait, there's 7 sites to dup!? I'm so confused!

Also, for the merchants, does doing that just result in their
bell bearing going to the twin merchant in Roundtable Hold so that you can buy stuff there? I can see that being convenient because you could kill all the merchants in hard to get to places (like the one in Sofria) and then just buy their stuff more conveniently at the Hold. Still, though, I don't want to kill them.
Yep, 7 imperial walkers to choose from lol.

That's the idea with merchants and zero downside. You get a bonus from a boss as well for doing a good job.

Found out when you start NG+ everything resets as expected, except the map keeps all locations you discovered revealed. Not sure if this means you don't have to get map fragments again or not since I haven't started it yet, but that's pretty legit. I almost feel as if they changed a few things for the better but didn't tell anyone, so going into this game as a veteran is a bit of a disservice. I think I would have been less inclined to do everything on my first run if I'd known some progress like the map was retained. Now I'm really lost with what to do in my second playthrough because I've all but exhausted the content. Also the amount of souls you get from kills is apparently double in NG+, but unlike previous games the ramp in difficulty is like non-existent; barely noticeable.

I guess I'll just smash through another round since my build is done while I wait for Tiny Tina next week. :whistle2:k

How do I use spoiler tags on here?

Note from io: the best way is to see it when you edit, so I added one in your post.  Just edit to see how it works.  It's square brackets with spoiler and then /spoiler to end it.

Try finger but hole!

That's the idea with merchants and zero downside. You get a bonus from a boss as well for doing a good job.
How good of a job? I gotta kill them all?

Patches showed back up at
Volcano Manor

Still selling that same crap he started with though ;).

Found a mini-boss in
Mt. Gelmar
that kicked my ass. It was an even harder version of that crystal earwig/lizard thing that I can't beat in a Caelid dungeon.

Also, went back to Raya Lucaria and got a talisman that I missed but I saw my son get. It says it makes you immune to fall damage. I put it on, then mistimed my jump on to the rotating platforms and fell to the bottom. I died . WTF!? It wasn't that far of a drop and was onto actual ground you can be on. That talisman lied!

Any tips to beat
radahn
what should my level be? Thanks for your help io!
You can discuss Radahn out in the open I think, or at least mention him. He's a pretty early boss and the game and characters talk about him all the time anyway. Maybe strategy should be hidden so people can be surprised the first time they see him. It is definitely a different sort of fight than most bosses. For anyone that hasn't started him yet I'd recommend going in without any info. It is definitely a WTF moment ;).

Jodou and I went back and forth about him earlier so read back a few pages. Level isn't going to matter too much since most of his shots one or two-shot kill you anyway (though I was around level 60 or so). What I did to finally beat him was:
Run up to the first 3 summons. Either dodge roll away from his first attack, or let it hit the weapon sticking up out of the ground in front of the summons. Then run to the next two summons above and to your right. You will have to dodge roll a shot here. Once you get those two up, get on your horse and *book it* away from there, because his arrows/spikes from the ground attack will come next. Then, you ride around him in a huge circle looking for more summons to bring in and keep doing that until they kill him. I also went up to him in the early phase and applied scarlot rot with one of the dragon breath attacks (have to get that from the dragon church in Caelid). It hurts him quite a bit, but I think you can finish him off with just the summons. Problem is it takes a while and if you hit a lull where you don't find any, he will come after you pretty aggressively. What I didn't realize, though, is that you can go pretty far away from him and even use hills as protection against his ranged attacks. Beware of when he disappears for a few seconds, because he will come down on you hard with a fire attack from the sky. Just book it out of the orange glowing area when you see that.

And remember, you can activate the summons from your horse. I didn't realize that in my first 10+ tries and kept jumping off and back on to do the summons. (Hell, in my first 3 or 4 tries I didn't realize you could get on your horse at all since you usually can't on boss fights!). That made it much harder though even in those runs sometimes I was able to get him to 1/3 health. It may take a few runs to know where the summons appear - it is always by the clumps of weapons sticking out of the ground. I kept him in his starting area for the most part - I'm not sure if you go far away and kite him to a different location if the summons follow you but they probably do. I like the starting area because behind him is a hill you can hide behind and summons often appear up there too. Then just loop all the way around and come back.

One additional thing, I'm not sure if the number of summons is effected by things you do previously. but at least two of the summons were characters I had been doing quest stuff with or for. The first is the giant pot guy that you can free from the ground early in the game in Limgrave. He is pretty tanky so it's probably nice to have him there. I think maybe he won't go there until you open the tunnel that leads from Limgrave to Caelid, and you have to do that from the Caelid side.

The other is Blaidd, who you have to first
get down with a specific gesture
and then later as part of Ranni's quest he wants you to beat Radahn. I discovered later that you can get into Radahn's castle the back way and probably fight him independently of Ranni's quest, but I'd recommend doing it through Ranni's quest. Plus, that way, you can just teleport in. Ranni's quest steps are outlined in the last spoiler in the OP. Start it after you beat Renalla (and do Blaidd's early stuff too, though maybe he shows up there anyway?).

All of this is reminding me that I need to go back to Radahn's castle. Apparently after beating him and talking to the guy who starts the battle for you, it resets with enemies and all the closed doors will now be open.

You can discuss Radahn out in the open I think, or at least mention him. He's a pretty early boss and the game and characters talk about him all the time anyway. Maybe strategy should be hidden so people can be surprised the first time they see him. It is definitely a different sort of fight than most bosses. For anyone that hasn't started him yet I'd recommend going in without any info. It is definitely a WTF moment ;).

Jodou and I went back and forth about him earlier so read back a few pages. Level isn't going to matter too much since most of his shots one or two-shot kill you anyway (though I was around level 60 or so). What I did to finally beat him was:
Run up to the first 3 summons. Either dodge roll away from his first attack, or let it hit the weapon sticking up out of the ground in front of the summons. Then run to the next two summons above and to your right. You will have to dodge roll a shot here. Once you get those two up, get on your horse and *book it* away from there, because his arrows/spikes from the ground attack will come next. Then, you ride around him in a huge circle looking for more summons to bring in and keep doing that until they kill him. I also went up to him in the early phase and applied scarlot rot with one of the dragon breath attacks (have to get that from the dragon church in Caelid). It hurts him quite a bit, but I think you can finish him off with just the summons. Problem is it takes a while and if you hit a lull where you don't find any, he will come after you pretty aggressively. What I didn't realize, though, is that you can go pretty far away from him and even use hills as protection against his ranged attacks. Beware of when he disappears for a few seconds, because he will come down on you hard with a fire attack from the sky. Just book it out of the orange glowing area when you see that.

And remember, you can activate the summons from your horse. I didn't realize that in my first 10+ tries and kept jumping off and back on to do the summons. (Hell, in my first 3 or 4 tries I didn't realize you could get on your horse at all since you usually can't on boss fights!). That made it much harder though even in those runs sometimes I was able to get him to 1/3 health. It may take a few runs to know where the summons appear - it is always by the clumps of weapons sticking out of the ground. I kept him in his starting area for the most part - I'm not sure if you go far away and kite him to a different location if the summons follow you but they probably do. I like the starting area because behind him is a hill you can hide behind and summons often appear up there too. Then just loop all the way around and come back.

One additional thing, I'm not sure if the number of summons is effected by things you do previously. but at least two of the summons were characters I had been doing quest stuff with or for. The first is the giant pot guy that you can free from the ground early in the game in Limgrave. He is pretty tanky so it's probably nice to have him there. I think maybe he won't go there until you open the tunnel that leads from Limgrave to Caelid, and you have to do that from the Caelid side.

The other is Blaidd, who you have to first
get down with a specific gesture
and then later as part of Ranni's quest he wants you to beat Radahn. I discovered later that you can get into Radahn's castle the back way and probably fight him independently of Ranni's quest, but I'd recommend doing it through Ranni's quest. Plus, that way, you can just teleport in. Ranni's quest steps are outlined in the last spoiler in the OP. Start it after you beat Renalla (and do Blaidd's early stuff too, though maybe he shows up there anyway?).

All of this is reminding me that I need to go back to Radahn's castle. Apparently after beating him and talking to the guy who starts the battle for you, it resets with enemies and all the closed doors will now be open.
That was extremely helpful, and yes I have both of those summons so I’m gonna give it another shot now.

And wow at this being an early game boss, the amount of content for a sixty dollar game with no mtx bs is just amazing.

That was extremely helpful, and yes I have both of those summons so I’m gonna give it another shot now.

And wow at this being an early game boss, the amount of content for a sixty dollar game with no mtx bs is just amazing.
Yup, I defeated him many hours ago but still haven't beaten another main boss yet. There are so many areas I haven't even explored that I can currently get to, plus quests to pursue, etc. Not to mention a whole bunch of dungeon bosses I need to get back to at some point. Oh yeah and a few evergaols and other overworld mini-bosses too. I'm also currently working on leveling up my Int so I can use the Flame and Night sword. I could do that quickly via the bird farming method, but I'm trying to do it a little more organically as I explore.

I'd call Radahn an early mid-game boss. But that's without me knowing a lot of detail about how much more there is. Jodou can probably give you a better perspective.

I currently have 13 of the 42 trophies for Elden Ring, so I'd say I'm solidly mid-game. Of course a lot of the trophies are back-loaded for right near the end. Radahn is about 30% of players so I'd say he pretty solidly represents the start of mid-game. My rarest is an optional boss
Dragonkin Soldier of Nokstella
at 24%. Looking at all the rest that consist of either story or optional bosses (I assume, as they are hidden) there are a lot between 15-20%. So I'm probably close to tackling a lot of those and their slightly-more-rare than Radahn status points to him being early mid-game for sure. I haven't missed any less rare than Radahn.

Much to my surprise,
Mimic Tear
which was easy to beat, was a trophy.

Hey Jodou, best I can see from a quick web search while trying not to look at very many spoilers is that there is an Arsenal Charm +2.  I got the +1 version the other day.  Is +2 the max and what you were talking about using earlier?

There isn't much improvement from the normal one to the +1.  The normal adds about 8 lbs of equip weight and the +1 seems to add about 1.5-2 more from what I remember, but it also weighs like 0.5 more itself!  So not a huge difference.

I currently have 3 talisman slots and I'm using the Arsenal Charm +1, the one that enhances incantations, and the one that slowly restores health.  That last one is becoming slightly less useful as my health increases and I have more flasks, but I still like it as I tend to take it easy for a bit after a tense encounter so I can usually get back to full health without wasting a flask.

I also finally got the Onion (or pumpkin) helm last night!  Whoo-hoo! I had been using Radahn's helm but, yeah, that thing blocks your camera a bit too much sometimes.

Also, went back to Raya Lucaria and got a talisman that I missed but I saw my son get. It says it makes you immune to fall damage. I put it on, then mistimed my jump on to the rotating platforms and fell to the bottom. I died . WTF!? It wasn't that far of a drop and was onto actual ground you can be on. That talisman lied!
Yeah, I read a while ago that this game's version of that talisman is the worst because the difference between taking fall damage and outright dying is very small in this game compared to other Soulslikes--it doesn't make you immune to dying from high up, just immune to taking damage.

^ Makes sense I guess.

Today’s picture

[attachment=36780:139419BD-F610-495B-B094-5A923E541FF0.jpeg]

I love that the game teleports you to a lot of secret areas early on (*always* let the treasure chest mist teleport traps take you!).  Because so far in each of those areas you can see that there are other parts you can't quite reach, or it is a whole area of the map you haven't gotten to yet. So far for me, later quests have taken me to three of those extended areas just beyond reach of the early-game teleports (that picture is from my latest one).  I think they did this on purpose so you'd know to keep looking for how to get to those places.  Otherwise, you could miss them entirely.

I beat it my second try using your method io. I dipped my sword in rot grease, and took about 60 percent of his health, and then just rode around the perimeter summoning, and then I had to come in and get that last hit.

I’m guessing if you somehow skipped getting Blaidd to come down, there’s nothing u can do and u just gotta move onto the next place he shows up in. Really wanted the emote u get from it but oh well

Almost 50 hrs in and I feel I am still just getting started in Liurnia of the Lakes. I can't even imagine how long this game is going to take me to finish!! Just defeated Perceptor Miriam with a strength based build and I think this is the kill that has been the most satisfying one in the game for me till now. I am mostly a melee player and for the first few deaths I literally couldn't do anything against her. From far I was getting killed by her magical arrows. And if I went close she was killing me with her magical sword. Took me some time to be brave and fight properly in close quarters and not run and search for safety. Felt really great when I finally beat her.

Very rarely do I buy a game at full price and Elden Ring has been absolutely worth it. 

I’m guessing if you somehow skipped getting Blaidd to come down, there’s nothing u can do and u just gotta move onto the next place he shows up in. Really wanted the emote u get from it but oh well
You mean the
Finger Snap emote?
I think you can get it if you kill
the first merchant (Santa hat one). That's one of the reasons I'm *not* killing him, as I already have the emote. But apparently the twin merchants in Roundtable Hold will sell all his stuff so it doesn't really matter.

Almost 50 hrs in and I feel I am still just getting started in Liurnia of the Lakes. I can't even imagine how long this game is going to take me to finish!! Just defeated Perceptor Miriam with a strength based build and I think this is the kill that has been the most satisfying one in the game for me till now. I am mostly a melee player and for the first few deaths I literally couldn't do anything against her. From far I was getting killed by her magical arrows. And if I went close she was killing me with her magical sword. Took me some time to be brave and fight properly in close quarters and not run and search for safety. Felt really great when I finally beat her.

Very rarely do I buy a game at full price and Elden Ring has been absolutely worth it.
Totally agree on that last point. I haven't looked but I'm probably around 110-120 hours now, and maybe half way through? Maybe a little more - but no more than 75%.

Also, and this goes back to why this is an awesome game, but I'm not even sure what boss you are talking about. I feel like I haven't beaten that one yet, unless it is required along the way to Renalla? If so I just forgot amongst all the other bosses I've dealt with.

Playing last night I ran into many more that I am putting off for now. But then I went back and cleaned up the crystal lizard thing in the Sellia tunnel. Still lots of people at my level (around 80) taking that thing on. I would get summoned almost immediately if I put my sign down there. I finally got my Int to 24 and am using Sword of Night and Flame. Man, the special magic attack just *melts* that stupid lizard. When I beat it I actually did it solo and a charged attack from that would take about 1/4 of his health if it fully connected. The Mimic Tear was once again disappointing there, and I think I ended up not even using it because to summon it and then heal takes too long and the boss would nuke me while I did that (since he's on top of you right when you start).

I'm almost done with Ranni's quest and I don't see the last few steps taking me to that Lucaria study hall place with the stairs that won't descend. I thought someone told me it did? I still want to get into that place!

(Edit: just looked it up and it may be that Perceptor Miriam is related to the Carian study hall and Ranni's quest. So I guess I haven't done that. But way back when I went in there, there was a mage that shot arrows at me that was tough as hell that I finally beat. Is this another one like that!? I'm still very confused as Perceptor Miriam is not on the list for Ranni's quest line that I found and posted in the OP.)

(Edit #2: I guess the Carian Study Hall part is optional - and not needed for the Moon Greatsword, which is why it wasn't on the list. It's a side quest to her main quest ;). Guess I'm going there tonight. And the thing I killed in there long ago was apparently this Percepter. The thing that confused me is they called it an "invader" in the wiki and it definitely was not an invader - just a regular enemy - not red.)

And also, I thought you were supposed to "charge" each piece of the Elden Ring? The first one was easy - but I don't even see where to go for the last 2 I've gotten (though one may be at the top of that study hall tower).

Today’s picture[attachment=36782:B4943C1B-6B67-4CD0-8732-AB72E3164787.jpeg]

This is for a late (mid-late?) game thing so definitely don't look unless you are far along:

In the Lake of Rot, I know where to go for Ranni's stuff.  But it looks like there is an optional boss out in the middle of the rot.  There's a big area you don't normally go to and I saw notes saying "boss" and pointing out there.  Assuming they weren't trolling, I'm wondering how you would fight a boss out there.  Do you eventually get an item that makes you immune to rot?

IIRC, Perceptor Miriam is the hostile NPC who shoots magic at you in the Carian Study Hall. You don't need to kill her for anything, so that's probably why she isn't explicitly named in Ranni's quest line.

Hey Jodou, best I can see from a quick web search while trying not to look at very many spoilers is that there is an Arsenal Charm +2. I got the +1 version the other day. Is +2 the max and what you were talking about using earlier?

There isn't much improvement from the normal one to the +1. The normal adds about 8 lbs of equip weight and the +1 seems to add about 1.5-2 more from what I remember, but it also weighs like 0.5 more itself! So not a huge difference.

I currently have 3 talisman slots and I'm using the Arsenal Charm +1, the one that enhances incantations, and the one that slowly restores health. That last one is becoming slightly less useful as my health increases and I have more flasks, but I still like it as I tend to take it easy for a bit after a tense encounter so I can usually get back to full health without wasting a flask.

I also finally got the Onion (or pumpkin) helm last night! Whoo-hoo! I had been using Radahn's helm but, yeah, that thing blocks your camera a bit too much sometimes.
The final version isn't numbered at all, it's the Greater version . Getting it is easy but getting to it is a pain without knowing where to go. I've learned that if an area seems inaccessible, try thinking vertically.

Advancing his storyline, well Ranni's really, past the Hogwarts place will cause him to sac a certain castle which will lock out a bit of content. So yes, you're past the point of being able to get that emote and one of the legendary armaments if you didn't already defeat a boss at said castle.

This is for a late (mid-late?) game thing so definitely don't look unless you are far along:

In the Lake of Rot, I know where to go for Ranni's stuff. But it looks like there is an optional boss out in the middle of the rot. There's a big area you don't normally go to and I saw notes saying "boss" and pointing out there. Assuming they weren't trolling, I'm wondering how you would fight a boss out there. Do you eventually get an item that makes you immune to rot?
There is a boss towards the smaller ruins and standing on the ruins will slow the damage dealt while afflicted. It's a tough fight because there's not much point in popping items to slow or remove rot buildup since the fight will last too long regardless. I beat him when it was relevant content, but it was a bitch. Not really worth it in hindsight.

Article about the best armor sets....

So, other than one (the Spellblade set) I am not even at any of these locations yet. So, yeah, maybe I am still mid-mid game ;).

https://www.windowscentral.com/elden-ring-best-armor
Most stylish is Blaidd's which everyone wears lol. I think it's a better medium armor over Raging Wolf anyway, with much better poise and defenses for hardly more weight.

So I'm maybe a quarter of the way through NG+ and just destroying this game now at SL150 (I've soft capped myself just to keep the game challenging but isn't working so far lol). My build with Mimic Tear is just shredding everything and today they patched the AI to actually use Dark Moon Greatsword's abilities. I just watched him solo Godrick with a few swings from me just so the ass couldn't stunlock my young prodigy. So sick when we're both just freecasting our blade of moonlight on bosses; absolutely rekt.

No real goal in mind, just playing for the hell of it now and being able to see a few NPC's full questlines since I missed a ton of them early game. But now with this patch they added a BRAND NEW NPC and questline. Like WTF FROM?! I was just getting the hang of all these quests and they're just randomly adding more content to the game with patches lol. Also, Elden Ring is apparently their new franchise soooooooooooooo get ready for ER2 and 3 in the future. ;)

No real goal in mind, just playing for the hell of it now and being able to see a few NPC's full questlines since I missed a ton of them early game. But now with this patch they added a BRAND NEW NPC and questline. Like WTF FROM?! I was just getting the hang of all these quests and they're just randomly adding more content to the game with patches lol. Also, Elden Ring is apparently their new franchise soooooooooooooo get ready for ER2 and 3 in the future. ;)
I was wondering what the patch was for. So where is this new NPC?

Apparently I missed all the Selvius puppet stuff since there was a freaking dragon sitting on the ruins you need to go into to find his secret lab. I put that off for later, which I would think a lot of people would do - not great game design there. Once you do a few other things he's dead. Also the whole potion thing seemed bugged to me. I got that much earlier and according to some stuff I read I should either be able to give it to Ofnir or his daughter or that one NPC that's now stinking up the back room. Well, the daughter is gone - nowhere to be found, and Ofnir doesn't mention the potion. And stinky just says he would kill me if the rules of the Roundtable Hold weren't in place. I never got dialog about the potion even when Selvius was still alive. I still have it in my inventory. Definitely seems like a bug.

There's also another early game NPC that never panned out and then disappeared. It's a guy at Roundtable Hold in the very beginning that is asking you to be on the lookout for someone. I never found that someone, and he's been gone for a while. In fact, my Roundtable Hold is almost completely empty now. *I* didn't do anything to them ;).

About Blaidd and that legendary weapon, I assume that is the Ruin Greatsword? I went back to get that the other night. If that is missable due to missing Blaidd's quest, we need to add that to the list in the OP. So should I say that it is important to talk to Blaidd before beating Rennala for example? Do you also have to start Ranni's quest to get that legendary?

Jodou or Vigilante, can you give me a bit more detail on this missable legendary? Why is it missable for example? And I assume this is maybe in the
capitol city
. Is it something I need to get before progressing to a certain point?

"2) Without naming late-game locations, the other missable legendary weapon is near a corpse of particular size in a city."

Lots of changes with the patch:

https://www.polygon.com/22982680/elden-ring-patch-1-03-patch-notes

I am lamenting these two as I basically just got both of these.  Although if this is the patch I downloaded last night before playing, I was still doing decent damage with the sword afterwards anyway:

• Decreased weapon skill, Sword of Night and Flame’s damage.
  • Decreased the damage of spirit summoned when using the item Mimic Tear Ash and changed the spirit’s behavior pattern.

Jodou or Vigilante, can you give me a bit more detail on this missable legendary? Why is it missable for example? And I assume this is maybe in the
capitol city

"2) Without naming late-game locations, the other missable legendary weapon is near a corpse of particular size in a city."
You're fine as long as you don't venture too far past said location, and you have quite a ways to go after that before you miss the weapon. Here are a few more hints:

-It's on a gigantic "item"

-You'll have to jump over a balcony to get onto that item

-If you want a definitive "stop-point" to focus on locating the weapon, play through that city until you beat or otherwise encounter the boss, who will have a cutscene introducing him.

There was another smaller patch last night that I had to download.  Not sure what changed there.

Sword of Night and Flame is still viable, as is Mimic Tear.  Both helped me get through the big pink fat guy boss fight
Godskin Noble
in Mt. Gelmar.  It was actually easier than when I had a human summons helper, or when I tried to help others and there were 3 of us!  I did the latter like 3 times and the hosts kept dying.

I did finally make use of a rune arc to get the Godrick rune stat boost during my successful run.  I always forget about those.  I'm sure it made the difference in this case, and I still had it active even after resting afterwards.  I guess it lasts until I die.  I've done so much coop I have like 60 rune arcs.  I really should use them more often.  I always hoard and don't use items in Souls games because I'm never sure how limited they are ;).

I'm a little scared to progress past this boss as I have a feeling a major boss is coming up and I don't want to ruin/prematurely end any quest lines associated with Mt. Gelmar, like I apparently did by going to far in Ranni's quest and ruining the Selvius and the puppets thing.  I did find Nelphi again - she's in the room below the blacksmith in the hold.  But she doesn't have anything to say to me and like the other 2 NPC's won't do anything with the potion.  I think you should still be able to do the potion thing even after Selvius dies.  It's not like *they* know he did.

I don't know for sure if it applies here, but previous Souls games buffed bosses' HP (and attack?) for each additional co-op player, so that would explain why you were able to beat the boss "alone".

Definitely hold off on progressing through Mt. Gelmir if you want to finish up questlines tied to there--your intuition is spot-on. If you need an idea for somewhere to go next, I suggest (assuming you found the map for the area) the castle-like structure to the right of Mt. Gelmir that looks like it's surrounded by a green/poison-y environment.

I don't know for sure if it applies here, but previous Souls games buffed bosses' HP (and attack?) for each additional co-op player, so that would explain why you were able to beat the boss "alone".

Definitely hold off on progressing through Mt. Gelmir if you want to finish up questlines tied to there--your intuition is spot-on. If you need an idea for somewhere to go next, I suggest (assuming you found the map for the area) the castle-like structure to the right of Mt. Gelmir that looks like it's surrounded by a green/poison-y environment.
It absolutely scales based on coop helpers. I think it’s pretty close to double and triple HP for 1 and 2 person summons. So yes it can sometimes be easier to solo. And thanks for the tips on Mt Gelmar. I see the area you are talking about but don’t know how to get there. I was all over that place looking for a cave with one of the good armor set and can’t find that either.

But for sure I’ll back off and do some of the contracts for them and see what happens.

Best comment in the entire game so far:[attachment=36785:1434D683-DB42-4C13-AAAF-5BAD8734AB04.jpeg]

I know people here have sunk hundreds of hours into the game already. For this post, I am so sorry.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IronPineapple_/status/1504890624507621377
This is being blown out of proportion--the way this wall "vanishes" is too fast/instantaneous compared to how the "normal" hidden walls fade out when struck. This is probably a glitch situation and the wall was meant to be coded as a typical hidden one but a programming error or the like resulted in it behaving differently; I'm not speaking from experience, it's just a theory.

This is being blown out of proportion--the way this wall "vanishes" is too fast/instantaneous compared to how the "normal" hidden walls fade out when struck. This is probably a glitch situation and the wall was meant to be coded as a typical hidden one but a programming error or the like resulted in it behaving differently; I'm not speaking from experience, it's just a theory.
My son and I went to find this last night. The thing is, it isn't even necessary to get through this wall. You can get to it from the other side already anyway And unlike all the others, this one reset back to being a wall when I rested and came back. So clearly it wasn't meant to be a normal illusory wall.

Last night I found out you aren't necessarily safe even when sitting a site of grace! I went to the poison swamp castle place Vigilante suggested I go to next. At the second site of grace in there, I sat down at the grace and went away for a bit. I heard some game noises while I was upstairs and thought maybe my son had messed around with my game. I came back down and my character was standing up next to the rune pool, and I was being attacked by one of the slow poison zombies! So, even though sitting down resets the enemies, if they happen to wonder past the grace like this guy does, they can still attack you and bring you out of the resting menu and even kill you!

It's probably just an oversight on this particular site that this enemy comes so close, as that doesn't happen at the vast majority of them (or maybe even every one but this one). But I thought it was interesting that the resting menu is not 100% safe!

Vigilante - I mopped up that castle. The boss there is a trophy and has a
legendary weapon drop
Any pointers on what to do next? There's now a guy in Volcano Manor asking me to kill the boss there. But there are also more contract kills to do. Should I do all the contracts first?

New NPC is apparently in a town called Jarburg in Liurnia.  Is that all new?  Anyway I'll be heading there tonight to see what's up.

Vigilante - I mopped up that castle. The boss there is a trophy and has a
legendary weapon drop
Any pointers on what to do next? There's now a guy in Volcano Manor asking me to kill the boss there. But there are also more contract kills to do. Should I do all the contracts first?
Head into the really big city on the right side of the Altus Plateau and clear it. That's also where the missable legendary weapon is--see my earlier post for hints.

About Blaidd and that legendary weapon, I assume that is the Ruin Greatsword? I went back to get that the other night. If that is missable due to missing Blaidd's quest, we need to add that to the list in the OP. So should I say that it is important to talk to Blaidd before beating Rennala for example? Do you also have to start Ranni's quest to get that legendary?

capitol city

There is another one in that city as well you can miss, but you'd have to be pushing like absolute endgame to miss it. The early missable one happens because the festival triggers and the courtyard boss is killed by Blaidd. You're already well past that point so if you didn't sac the castle first, then it's gone til NG+. You're correct in what actually triggers the event but the lego is completely independent of any quests. You can get it right from the start of the game if you make the trek out there but would be hard for a low-level player early on.

Lots of changes with the patch:

https://www.polygon.com/22982680/elden-ring-patch-1-03-patch-notes

I am lamenting these two as I basically just got both of these. Although if this is the patch I downloaded last night before playing, I was still doing decent damage with the sword afterwards anyway:

• Decreased weapon skill, Sword of Night and Flame’s damage.
  • Decreased the damage of spirit summoned when using the item Mimic Tear Ash and changed the spirit’s behavior pattern.
Tried telling ya Night & Flame was bonkers busted in faith builds. It's still good, just not broken. ;)

They fixed Arcane scaling with weapons but forgot to test it with anything, so now the meta is completely busted bleed builds that cast blood spells over and over for free. It'll get nerfed to the ground, so might be worth checking into for now while it's just silly fun staff humping.

I'm still just tooling around NG+ and I can't tell if the game is just slowing down a bit with player messages or if NG+ does something to affect it. Like it reset my messages from what I can tell OR the patch did that, not really sure. At any rate, bosses just fall over now so it's a bit weird having NG+ be this easy in a souls game for once. At 110 hours now, I'm just kinda feeling bored TBH. I would start a new character on PS5 but Tiny Tina drops Thursday night and I'm all over that. Guess I'll just play a bit more to finish out the lego achievement and see the questlines they fixed fulfilled but I'm ready to let this soul rest for a bit.

Idk if it’s just my other character being under lvl 100 but the patch seemed to have really needed mimic tear to the point that it’s not much of help? It’s hp is pretty bad, ai seems stupid, definitely not aggressive, damage is way weaker than your characters. Based on fighting commander O’Neil by the way. It dies before the two knights even die lol. Also barricade shield seems pretty useless now too. Fires deadly sin too I’m sure. I guess I’m gonna switch from pure dex to pure arcane and use rivers of blood now.

There is another one in that city as well you can miss, but you'd have to be pushing like absolute endgame to miss it. The early missable one happens because the festival triggers and the courtyard boss is killed by Blaidd. You're already well past that point so if you didn't sac the castle first, then it's gone til NG+. You're correct in what actually triggers the event but the lego is completely independent of any quests. You can get it right from the start of the game if you make the trek out there but would be hard for a low-level player early on.
I'm confused. You are saying there's another one besides Ruin Greatsword that I may have missed? You have to go into the castle before the whole festival starts? That is bizarre as there was no obvious way to get in there. I did approach the castle very early on and even cleared out all the enemies in front minus the troll. But I missed the right side sneaky entrance apparently. I found it later when I cleared it out after the festival. I got the Ruin Greatsword then.

If so, that needs to be be #1 missable in my list in the OP because that would be super easy for most people to miss, and happens pretty early. My son still hasn't triggered the festival, so I'll see what happens in his game.

Edit: My son just went through it. It is the same boss (twin bosses actually) that I was able to fight after the festival when everything reset. So it is not missable as far as I can tell. Unless you fight the bosses twice and they drop different weapons each time? I got the Ruin Greatsword from them after the festival. My son hasn't been able to beat them yet but I'm assuming he'll also get the Ruin Greatsword. Edit #2: He did beat it, and it was the same Ruin Greatsword. He then went on to trigger Radahn and beat him first try. Of course he had the benefit of watching me struggle with it for so long ;).

Edit: My son just went through it. It is the same boss (twin bosses actually) that I was able to fight after the festival when everything reset. So it is not missable as far as I can tell. Unless you fight the bosses twice and they drop different weapons each time? I got the Ruin Greatsword from them after the festival. My son hasn't been able to beat them yet but I'm assuming he'll also get the Ruin Greatsword. Edit #2: He did beat it, and it was the same Ruin Greatsword. He then went on to trigger Radahn and beat him first try. Of course he had the benefit of watching me struggle with it for so long ;).
OK, now I'm confused--how did your son fight the twin bosses for the Ruin Greatsword before beating Radahn? They don't appear until the festival is over and that doesn't happen until you beat Radahn.

But to confirm, that shouldn't be a missable legendary weapon--the only truly missable one is the one in the city mentioned before. I got the All Legendary Armaments trophy yesterday.

You mean the
Finger Snap emote?
I think you can get it if you kill
the first merchant (Santa hat one). That's one of the reasons I'm *not* killing him, as I already have the emote. But apparently the twin merchants in Roundtable Hold will sell all his stuff so it doesn't really matter.

Totally agree on that last point. I haven't looked but I'm probably around 110-120 hours now, and maybe half way through? Maybe a little more - but no more than 75%.

Also, and this goes back to why this is an awesome game, but I'm not even sure what boss you are talking about. I feel like I haven't beaten that one yet, unless it is required along the way to Renalla? If so I just forgot amongst all the other bosses I've dealt with.

Playing last night I ran into many more that I am putting off for now. But then I went back and cleaned up the crystal lizard thing in the Sellia tunnel. Still lots of people at my level (around 80) taking that thing on. I would get summoned almost immediately if I put my sign down there. I finally got my Int to 24 and am using Sword of Night and Flame. Man, the special magic attack just *melts* that stupid lizard. When I beat it I actually did it solo and a charged attack from that would take about 1/4 of his health if it fully connected. The Mimic Tear was once again disappointing there, and I think I ended up not even using it because to summon it and then heal takes too long and the boss would nuke me while I did that (since he's on top of you right when you start).

I'm almost done with Ranni's quest and I don't see the last few steps taking me to that Lucaria study hall place with the stairs that won't descend. I thought someone told me it did? I still want to get into that place!

(Edit: just looked it up and it may be that Perceptor Miriam is related to the Carian study hall and Ranni's quest. So I guess I haven't done that. But way back when I went in there, there was a mage that shot arrows at me that was tough as hell that I finally beat. Is this another one like that!? I'm still very confused as Perceptor Miriam is not on the list for Ranni's quest line that I found and posted in the OP.)

(Edit #2: I guess the Carian Study Hall part is optional - and not needed for the Moon Greatsword, which is why it wasn't on the list. It's a side quest to her main quest ;). Guess I'm going there tonight. And the thing I killed in there long ago was apparently this Percepter. The thing that confused me is they called it an "invader" in the wiki and it definitely was not an invader - just a regular enemy - not red.)

And also, I thought you were supposed to "charge" each piece of the Elden Ring? The first one was easy - but I don't even see where to go for the last 2 I've gotten (though one may be at the top of that study hall tower).
Funny I actually started killing merchants since I can just go to twin sisters instead of going to different merchants for items I want. Dude actually drops the emote lol I was surprised

OK, now I'm confused--how did your son fight the twin bosses for the Ruin Greatsword before beating Radahn? They don't appear until the festival is over and that doesn't happen until you beat Radahn.

But to confirm, that shouldn't be a missable legendary weapon--the only truly missable one is the one in the city mentioned before. I got the All Legendary Armaments trophy yesterday.
He went into the castle before he finished up with Blaidd in Sofria and thus had not triggered the festival yet. The area where Blaidd and Alexander are normally standing was blocked with a boss fog and the twin bosses were there!

It seems that some people think you miss them if you don't do them first, but it's like you said - you can't miss them either way.

Now... I have a question about that missable one in the city. I've progressed to multiple sites of grace in the city, and I even got to a part where you climb a corpse of a particular thing. I'm not seeing any weapon. Something else I read said to climb a spear right at the beginning. I see a spear-like think several sites in, not at the beginning - so that seems misleading.

Now... I have a question about that missable one in the city. I've progressed to multiple sites of grace in the city, and I even got to a part where you climb a corpse of a particular thing. I'm not seeing any weapon. Something else I read said to climb a spear right at the beginning. I see a spear-like think several sites in, not at the beginning - so that seems misleading.
You do have to climb a spear, but it's not at the beginning. On the contrary, you have to use the
Erdtree Sanctuary (earned after beating a trophy boss)
site of grace, take a nearby elevator downward, then walk forward a bit and jump over a railing on the left--you should see the spear down below. You'll fight a couple enemies to get to that point.

You do have to climb a spear, but it's not at the beginning. On the contrary, you have to use the
Erdtree Sanctuary (earned after beating a trophy boss)
site of grace, take a nearby elevator downward, then walk forward a bit and jump over a railing on the left--you should see the spear down below. You'll fight a couple enemies to get to that point.
Gotcha. So I'm not there yet. I believe I am seeing the spear from below so I can't get to where you are talking about yet.

I updated the OP to include info from this:

https://www.powerpyx.com/elden-ring-all-legendary-armament-locations

I do have a question, though. It says the one associated with Ranni's quest line means you have done all the steps for a particular ending. If I want to get all 3 endings via reloading my PS+ save, can I get the other 2 endings if I proceed with Ranni's stuff? Or do I need to do those first, reload my save, then finish Ranni's thing last? I have no idea when the endings come so I'm in the dark here ;).

I do have a question, though. It says the one associated with Ranni's quest line means you have done all the steps for a particular ending. If I want to get all 3 endings via reloading my PS+ save, can I get the other 2 endings if I proceed with Ranni's stuff? Or do I need to do those first, reload my save, then finish Ranni's thing last? I have no idea when the endings come so I'm in the dark here ;).
To be as spoiler-free as possible, finishing Ranni's quest line allows you to make an additional choice for a specific ending right at the end of the game. Finishing the quest line does not lock you into a specific ending, so there's no downside.

To be as spoiler-free as possible, finishing Ranni's quest line allows you to make an additional choice for a specific ending right at the end of the game. Finishing the quest line does not lock you into a specific ending, so there's no downside.
Awesome, thanks. That guide made it sound like the very last step to getting the sword was to complete Ranni's quest and get one of the endings.

Can I go and get that (her legendary weapon) now, while I'm still not finished with the city or even Volcano Manor without progressing the story too far?

By the way, apparently you can miss out on the second chance for
Bernahl's weapon if you finish up with Rykard. So that's yet another reason for me to put him off. But... I don't want to put him off so far I finish the game first ;). I know at the very least I still have two more Volcano Manor contracts. One is in the city and I haven't quite gotten to its location yet. The other is in a place I haven't even unlocked yet, so I assume it's after the city? However, given how easy it is to get to Bernahl's first location in NG+ I can always just clean that up afterwards.

Since From nerfed the Sword of Night & Flame literally the day after I started using it, what's another good Faith-based weapon build? I thought that missable legendary in the city might be a good choice, especially as I have liked spears in the past. But apparently it requires a whopping 40 Dex (mine is like 18 now) and doesn't scale with Faith.

bread's done
Back