Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition - $29.99, $10 off Skyrim + guide

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
oblivion-anniversary2.jpg
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition
[IMG-L=5838]22778[/IMG-L] [IMG-L=5838]22779[/IMG-L]

image credit

Contents:

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Edition (includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles DLC)
  • $10 off coupon for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (can be used at any retailer)
  • Collector's Edition content (map, making of DVD, trailer for Skyrim)
  • Steelbook case and slip cover
  • There will be 200,000 units made, so it is limited
Release date: June 28, 2011 for PS3, 360, and PC

Amazon
:360: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
:ps3: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I'm missing something there is zero confirmation that this will be limited to 200,000 copies. Until I see Bethseda say it themselves, or see some sort of other official proof, I'll call it a rumor, (forgive me if I missed some proof discussed here, but please do point it out).

Pre-Ordered from BB. Used $25 in reward certificates and the balance in a gift card so only .38c in tax for me. I get free shipping since I'm premier silver but their packaging has been terrible in the past (ME2 CE beat to hell) so I did in-store pick up so I can see what condition it is in before I accept it.

This sounds like a truly historic first:

Releasing a 5-year Anniversary edition on the original-release console of a game already released as regular, LE, GOTY, Greatest Hits, and Bundled (with Bioshock).

It's a shame they didn't make it an ultimate edition with every single piece of DLC (horse armor!) ever made included. Maybe even throw in a brand new exclusive piece. Dog Armor?

This may be the next Ultimate Sith Edition if it's truly this limited and under the public radar.

Just noticed GS is charging $40 for Oblivion GotY for 360 USED. I think that price may take a big hit when this comes out. "Let me see here, brand new with more content for $30 or used with less content for $40. What to do what to do."

If Gamestop does carry this (which I imagine they will) and you want the console versions, you can get a copy for essentially 70% off this week if you have the current GotY edition:

1. Have Powerup Rewards Pro
2. Have 1 of the 40/50% extra trade-in credit coupons on PS360 games they were handing out last week
3. Trade in Oblivion: GotY for $22.50 (base TIV is $15 for both console versions at the time of this post.)

If you hate Gamestop or don't have the coupon, Best Buy gives $20 for the 360 GotY version, not sure on PS3 but I imagine it's similar.

If you do pick it up, then I highly suggest you'd get the PC version. There's tons of mods for it, including plenty that gives it better graphics, unofficial patches that helps and/or completely changes gameplay(you can get rid of the enemy level scaling if you want for example), more weapons/armor/spells/etc. The amount out there for it is something you just don't see nowadays.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Just noticed GS is charging $40 for Oblivion GotY for 360 USED. I think that price may take a big hit when this comes out. "Let me see here, brand new with more content for $30 or used with less content for $40. What to do what to do."[/QUOTE]
It's gamestop, no they wont. The employees will tell you this edition is zomg uber rare your never going to find it and then proceed to sell you this for $40 :lol:. Or make up some crap that this game was preorder only. Seriously though, it would be nice if they did drop it seeing Amazon sells the goty edition for $30 but when has gamestop ever done things right.

In my opinion Oblivion is still the best RPG of this gen, so I'm quite excited by this. I wonder if they'll be adding trophies to the PS3 version. I doubt it, but since I've already got the full score on 360, I would definitely be interested in picking it up for PS3.

What I'd like to see is every bit of DLC included on disc with this release, including for the PS3 version. I'd actually rebuy it for that.

But I'm sure there is probably some deal with Microsoft still in effect that makes that impossible to do.

I would buy it if they finally fixed the permanent vampirism bug that I encountered when I attempted to play the game through.

I was enjoying the game quite a bit until I hit that bug and I quit (and traded it in).

[quote name='daminion']I would buy it if they finally fixed the permanent vampirism bug that I encountered when I attempted to play the game through.

I was enjoying the game quite a bit until I hit that bug and I quit (and traded it in).[/QUOTE]

You played the GOTY PS3 version? I believe that's the only version that has that bug (it was patched for other platforms). It's one of the reasons why I vowed to not support Bethseda games back then but who knows I still may end up picking this up.

Amazon has added pictures to the listings now, hopefully this means that preorders will go up soon.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You played the GOTY PS3 version? I believe that's the only version that has that bug (it was patched for other platforms). It's one of the reasons why I vowed to not support Bethseda games back then but who knows I still may end up picking this up.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was the version. The fact that they let it remain, with no patch, makes it hard for me to trust their other games - and to avoid them at release in case there happens to be a game breaking bug that they will ignore.

In regards to whether this is limited to 200K or not, I contacted the editors at nitrrobeard.com who seems to be the original source of that rumor. I asked them where they got that info and they replied:

Our good man Wes Gardner works in a little Mom & Pop video game store somewhere in sleepy Texas! I'm fairly sure he got the info through them, but I'm cc'ing him on this so he can confirm or deny.

So not very solid info. Just sounds more like speculation than anything. I'll update if they reply with anything more solid

[quote name='daminion']Yes, that was the version. The fact that they let it remain, with no patch, makes it hard for me to trust their other games - and to avoid them at release in case there happens to be a game breaking bug that they will ignore.[/QUOTE]

Yea their response to that sucks. I actually bought the GOTY initially but after hearing about that bloodgrass glitch I returned it and just got the standard edition used. I figure if I liked the game enough I'd be willing to get the expansions later on. Still haven't gotten to the game yet lol. They have a pretty poor record on the PS3 with regards to glitches and such so I can definitely understand the lack of trust and I feel the same way.

If they are only printing 200k copies, thats more than enough. They say "one time only print" to get suckers to think it will be worth something. 200,000 copies is a TON for a 5 year old game thats still sitting on every store's shelves

Wondering if this comes with trophy support. I looked in the images on the amazon page and on the rear of the case there is trophies at the top of the ps3 image.

[quote name='eddie291']If you do pick it up, then I highly suggest you'd get the PC version. There's tons of mods for it, including plenty that gives it better graphics, unofficial patches that helps and/or completely changes gameplay(you can get rid of the enemy level scaling if you want for example), more weapons/armor/spells/etc. The amount out there for it is something you just don't see nowadays.[/QUOTE]
I second this. TES4 Oblivion has one of the most extensive modding community I've seen on the PC version. You can get a complete overhaul of your character looks, the environment, quests, battle/leveling system, new armor, spells, monsters, dungeons, etc. Pretty much, change the game almost entirely (I think some have even managed to make Oblivion take place in an urban setting). There are literally tens of thousands of mods available for the PC version. The tools for making mods are also easily available and not terribly hard to learn to use.

[quote name='rvdrock']Or maybe they will patch it in...[/QUOTE]
They would have to patch it in. It would be a bad business practice to sell a new version of the game that is 5 years old with no real bonuses over the GOTY edition except for a making of DVD.

Either way how hard are the achievements to get on 360? Or should I say how long? I am more curious because I don't really care about trophies but just to see how crazy this game is achievement wise.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']My computer sucks so getting it for PC just isn't an option.[/QUOTE]I'm in this camp, also--my computer had a hard time just trying to run Morrowind, so I have zero confidence in its Oblivion capability.

On another note, is there anything the PS3 version would have over the 360 version? Aside from the possibility of trophies added to the former, the latter sounds like it has fewer graphical/other glitches in comparison.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']They would have to patch it in. It would be a bad business practice to sell a new version of the game that is 5 years old with no real bonuses over the GOTY edition except for a making of DVD.

Either way how hard are the achievements to get on 360? Or should I say how long? I am more curious because I don't really care about trophies but just to see how crazy this game is achievement wise.[/QUOTE]

The achievements are pretty straight forward. Complete quests for this guild, then that guild, then another guild and then the storyline. You could power through them in 25-30 hours or so.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Either way how hard are the achievements to get on 360? Or should I say how long? I am more curious because I don't really care about trophies but just to see how crazy this game is achievement wise.[/QUOTE]

They're time consuming for sure, but not at all difficult. Just doing everything in the game will get you all the achievements, there's nothing tricky.

[quote name='Vigilante']
On another note, is there anything the PS3 version would have over the 360 version? Aside from the possibility of trophies added to the former, the latter sounds like it has fewer graphical/other glitches in comparison.[/QUOTE]
according to an ign review from 2007:
Multiplatform users who have been holding out in hopes of getting the "best looking version" should still gravitate towards a pumped-up PC. But, as I mentioned earlier, the PS3 version of Oblivion is a definite technical improvement over the 360 edition. Even if you have the latest Xbox patch installed, this newest port holds an advantage with its quicker loading times (which are almost twice as fast as the 360's), fewer framerate hitches, sharper textures, a better draw distance, and a brighter overall picture. Audibly, you're getting the same game -- which, for those of you who are new to the game, is stacked with an excellent ambient soundtrack and strong voice acting.

Went to Best Buy to pre-order it. I would have ordered it online, but I had $45 in certificates and I am expecting $120 in gift cards so I am waiting for the GC to arrive to pay it off. The kiosk only had a pre-order for the 360 version.

I rather get the PS3 version (if it has trophies) and I rather get it from GS since I just traded in my copy o Oblivion GotY for $22.50 so I rather use that to pay it the new version.

EDIT: Figures just as soon as I get back Amazon adds it...now just to wait for GS to hopefully get it.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Locked in my trade in price for GOTY ed on Amazon. If I preorder now can I use the credit on it when it ships?[/QUOTE]
as long as you receive your credit before it goes to the shipping soon stage. Once you get your credit you can just apply it to that order.

bread's done
Back