Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition - $29.99, $10 off Skyrim + guide

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
oblivion-anniversary2.jpg
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition
[IMG-L=5838]22778[/IMG-L] [IMG-L=5838]22779[/IMG-L]

image credit

Contents:

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Edition (includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles DLC)
  • $10 off coupon for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (can be used at any retailer)
  • Collector's Edition content (map, making of DVD, trailer for Skyrim)
  • Steelbook case and slip cover
  • There will be 200,000 units made, so it is limited
Release date: June 28, 2011 for PS3, 360, and PC

Amazon
:360: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
:ps3: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dudejeff22']I need confirmation of Steamworks / Steamachieves before I buy. If those are not included then this is a hard no buy for both myself and any self-respecting gamer who's been around for the past 5 years. (i.e. if you don't already have Oblivion... you don't deserve videogames).

Carry on![/QUOTE]
I am going to say no. The retail box of the goty edition of oblivion has no steam support. I am sure this is probably the same way.

[quote name='dudejeff22']I need confirmation of Steamworks / Steamachieves before I buy. If those are not included then this is a hard no buy for both myself and any self-respecting gamer who's been around for the past 5 years. (i.e. if you don't already have Oblivion... you don't deserve videogames).

Carry on![/QUOTE]

Definitely not for Oblivion; this is just a repackaging.

Skyrim will most likely since FO3 and New Vegas did.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am going to say no. The retail box of the goty edition of oblivion has no steam support. I am sure this is probably the same way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it says game of the year edition. So Im almost 100% sure its just the old goty only repackaged. For 30 bucks they arent going to go out of their way.

Two questions...

1- Has it been confirmed that the PS3 version will have Trophy support?

2- Do I really have to get the strategy guide to use the coupon? I have guides, but I plan on getting Skyrim anyways.

Thanks in advance!

It isn't been confirmed that the PS3 version will have Trophy support. Just because the case says "Trophies" in the back doesn't mean it'll have Trophies; i.e., Metal Gear Solid 4 Greatest Hits version.

^^^What coin?...

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I bought The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (Game of the Year Edition) for $20, I believe from Newegg.com? It's still sealed, so I'm going to sell it as soon as possible, because I pre-ordered the 5th Anniversary Edition for the Xbox 360 from Amazon...

I just can't resist SteelBook cases...:bouncy:

[quote name='earvcunanan']
oblivion-anniversary2.jpg
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition
[IMG-L=5838]22778[/IMG-L] [IMG-L=5838]22779[/IMG-L]

image credit

Contents:

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Edition (includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles DLC)
  • $10 off coupon for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (can be used at any retailer)
  • Collector's Edition content (map, making of DVD, trailer for Skyrim)
  • Steelbook case and slip cover
  • There will be 200,000 units made, so it is limited
Release date: June 28, 2011 for PS3, 360, and PC

Amazon
:360: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
:ps3: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
[/QUOTE]

maybe im blind but i dont see any guide

[quote name='Archfiend']maybe im blind but i dont see any guide[/QUOTE]
The sticker on the cover of the game case says "$10 off the purchase of The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim and a Skyrim strategy guide"

If I have to buy the strategy guide with Skyrim to get $10 off, then fuck that.

[quote name='MoxManiac_']Which version is better, PS3 or 360?[/QUOTE]

360 as that was the platform it was developed on/for

The original CE for Oblivion came with a Pocket Guide to the Empire and a Septim coin. I'm ordering this steelbook edition, but definitely keeping my CE too.

I emailed Gamestop to ask if they're going to have the 5th Anniversary Edition in stock, but they just told me the generic "no info in our system, but we'll let you know". Sucks cause I have a $30 credit from them I was hoping to use on this.

Never play any of the Elder Scrolls game, I'm actually new to western rpg. After reading a couple of faqs, it seems really complicated with all leveling, skills, etc.

I'm kind of interested in this, but not sure if i'll enjoy it.

Just pre-ordered one for PS3 on Amazon.
Not 100% sure if I'll like the game, but I'm a sucker for PS3 Steelbooks and it sounds like it might actually be limited so I could potentially resell it for profit later if I hate it.

[quote name='H3xum']360 as that was the platform it was developed on/for[/QUOTE]

Actually the game runs better and is graphically superior on the PS3.

[quote name='cheapnpoor']Never play any of the Elder Scrolls game, I'm actually new to western rpg. After reading a couple of faqs, it seems really complicated with all leveling, skills, etc.

I'm kind of interested in this, but not sure if i'll enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Mods. Mods mods mods. The original levelling system in Oblivion (and Morrowind) was a pain for me to use. I never really liked it as you could seriously gimp your character by not trying to balance out the levelling of major and minor skills. On the other hand, you could go overboard and track your skill level ups and calculate what training you'd need in order to get the maximum multipliers to add...

Or, if you're on the PC, get something like nGCD. Character attribute advancement based on actual skill levels and usage? Yes please. :D

Be careful, though, with mods; once you start, you just can't stop.

(Also, it'd be a good idea to have a copy of an unmodded game somewhere, just in case you forget to uninstall everything and royally screw up an install. I may or may not have done this three or four times now.)

[quote name='Jaysonguy']No it doesn't

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/10/oblivion-downgraded-for-ps3-not-happening-on-wii/[/QUOTE]

*facepalm*

You do realize that article was written before the PS3 version came out right? Do you also realize that a quick google will show multiple sources showing the PS3 version has better loading times, textures, and draw distances. These are facts, not speculation written before the game came out. Hell, ieven the comments in that article you posted clearly point out how contradicting and flat out wrong it is compared to other sources.

From IGN:

the PS3 version of Oblivion is a definite technical improvement over the 360 edition. Even if you have the latest Xbox patch installed, this newest port holds an advantage with its quicker loading times (which are almost twice as fast as the 360's), fewer framerate hitches, sharper textures, a better draw distance, and a brighter overall picture. Audibly, you're getting the same game -- which, for those of you who are new to the game, is stacked with an excellent ambient soundtrack and strong voice acting.

[quote name='cheapnpoor']Never play any of the Elder Scrolls game, I'm actually new to western rpg. After reading a couple of faqs, it seems really complicated with all leveling, skills, etc.

I'm kind of interested in this, but not sure if i'll enjoy it.[/QUOTE]
Well The Elder Scrolls was my first taste to Western RPG games. They seem tough but in a reality are not that bad once you decide what you want to play as. Basically all you have to do is look up the different classes/races, find something you like and there will be a guide on tips on how to build up your character.

It seems complicated but it's really not that bad. If you played JRPG's they are more complicated but more in depth but a ton of fun.

[quote name='ShockandAww']The sticker on the cover of the game case says "$10 off the purchase of The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim and a Skyrim strategy guide"

If I have to buy the strategy guide with Skyrim to get $10 off, then fuck that.[/QUOTE]

You don't.

@ssjmichael & Jaysonguy

As someone who has actually played through both console versions, here is my response from May 2008 when someone asked me on these very forums whether it was worth buying the PS3 version if they already had the 360 version:

The graphics are only VERY slightly better on the PS3. The game uses lower res textures on far away items that are replaced by higher res textures as you get closer on both systems. On my 360, the higher res textures would sometimes pop-in a little too slowly as my dying DVD drive struggled to load them. However, I have also seen the game played on 360s with different DVD drives which don't seem to have this problem near as badly. The problem has been greatly reduced by the large amount of hard drive caching that the PS3 version does when it installs. The already impressive 360 draw distances are also extended a bit here. On the flip side the PS3 versions colors are a bit washed out compared to those of the 360. (although this is again minor). The minimal difference in graphics wasn't enough for me to switch versions. However, the PS3 version does sport one huge improvement (greatly reduced load times). They are still there, BUT they are considerably shorter on the PS3 version. Considering all of the loading as you enter buildings and caves the few seconds here and there really adds up in a one hundred hour game. EDIT: (this difference is what prompted me to buy the PS3 version even though I already had all the 360 stuff)

Since then, the 360's hardware capabilities have changed and you can now install entire discs to the hard drive. Playing it installed on the 360 hard drive negates both the loading time advantage and texture pop-in graphical advantages that the PS3 version previously had. I would honestly advise everyone at this point to simply buy the game on whichever console they are more comfortable using UNLESS they are on an Xbox with no HD.

I'd go PC on this one if anyone is on the fence about which version to get. If these are limited in quantity as some predict the PC version will almost definitely double/triple in value.

Well, I was GONNA get this because I LOVE Oblivion, and don't have ANY of the expansions, however, the Oblivion DLC just got marked down this week, so I guess I'll just get it now.

[quote name='Trojann']Ordered one yesterday, I really hope there limited![/QUOTE]

"supposedely" 200,000 copies I dont know how limited that is though especially when its a rebadgeing of a game you can buy for 20 bucks or less on ebay. Considering only thing thats new is the bonus disc making of its the same things thats out already and easily found anywhere.

Game of the year editions might be the rarer ones since they will undoubtly drop in price once this comes out to get them off shelves.

[quote name='stoned99']You know I bet GS won't accept that 10$ off coupon, they never do. Sucks.[/QUOTE]

Whats their excuse? I never had a coupon like this before and used it there.

[quote name='Skydude']They really should have included horse armor with this.[/QUOTE]

LMAO. I remember when that came out....that was the first case of outrageously stupid DLC.

Now with capcom charging $ for costume packs etc., its hard to believe back in the day horse armor would have been controversial

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']According to back of the box it WILL[/QUOTE]

Which is pretty meaningless. As others have said, some older games have been re-released with boxes that say "trophies" when they really don't have them.

I don't see them bothering to patch in trophies now, after all this time. But, who knows?

As people have pointed out, the back of the box does say Trophies, but so does the Metal Gear Solid 4 Greatest Hits box art, and that didn't have trophies. I personally hope it does have trophies, but there is no official word on it.

[quote name='ShockandAww']How do you know this?[/QUOTE]Well, Josh said on his FB page that according to what Bethesda told him, you shouldn't have to buy the guide with the game in order to use the coupon. He said today that he's contacted them for confirmation of this.

[quote name='Vigilante']Well, Josh said on his FB page that according to what Bethesda told him, you shouldn't have to buy the guide with the game in order to use the coupon. He said today that he's contacted them for confirmation of this.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic, got to remember to preorder this tonight off Amazon then.

God June is looking crazy for games for me, DNF, Dunegon Siege III and now this, lol.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Fantastic, got to remember to preorder this tonight off Amazon then.

God June is looking crazy for games for me, DNF, Dunegon Siege III and now this, lol.[/QUOTE]Just so you know, Josh is also considering adding a Kmart coupon with purchase of the 5th Anniversary Edition on top of the included $10 Skyrim coupon, although he said "it might be difficult".

[quote name='Vigilante']Just so you know, Josh is also considering adding a Kmart coupon with purchase of the 5th Anniversary Edition on top of the included $10 Skyrim coupon, although he said "it might be difficult".[/QUOTE]Right I heard him talking about that, but I don't want to chance stock issues. I might as well play it safe since it's limited edition. It's almost impossible to find a normal GOTY edition around here.

[quote name='takotchi']Which is pretty meaningless. As others have said, some older games have been re-released with boxes that say "trophies" when they really don't have them.

I don't see them bothering to patch in trophies now, after all this time. But, who knows?[/QUOTE]

People keep saying this, but aside from MGS4 what other games say they have trophies but don't?

[quote name='IRHari']I asked the trophy question yesterday, absolutely 0 responses. Cool stuff brah.[/QUOTE]

nobody knows a definite answer

[quote name='whoknows']People keep saying this, but aside from MGS4 what other games say they have trophies but don't?[/QUOTE]
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, off the top of my head

[quote name='GBAstar']Kind of odd they aren't limiting preorder quantities...[/QUOTE]

Why would they? This isn't intended to be some ultra-rare collectible limited edition. It's being sold at all the major retailers. It's just a clever way to get one more chunk of cash from those of us who already own the game but can't pass up a steelbook.

bread's done
Back