Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition - $29.99, $10 off Skyrim + guide

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
oblivion-anniversary2.jpg
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion 5th Annivesary Edition
[IMG-L=5838]22778[/IMG-L] [IMG-L=5838]22779[/IMG-L]

image credit

Contents:

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Edition (includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles DLC)
  • $10 off coupon for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (can be used at any retailer)
  • Collector's Edition content (map, making of DVD, trailer for Skyrim)
  • Steelbook case and slip cover
  • There will be 200,000 units made, so it is limited
Release date: June 28, 2011 for PS3, 360, and PC

Amazon
:360: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
:ps3: Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='adriley313']does this version include the DLC?[/QUOTE]

Since the OP and the product page says it does I'm gonna say yes it does.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Since the OP and the product page says it does I'm gonna say yes it does.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't. All the info says is that it's the GOTY edition, which ONLY contains the Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine expansion packs. It doesn't say anything about all the other DLC not on GOTY like Thieves Den, Wizards Tower, etc.

[quote name='vamn']No, it doesn't. All the info says is that it's the GOTY edition, which ONLY contains the expansion packs. It doesn't say anything about all the other DLC not on GOTY like Thieves Den, Wizards Tower, etc.[/QUOTE]

Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine were DLC. :applause:

I have this on PC (GOTY edition) and owned it on 360 as one of the first games I bought for the system. Any reason to pick it up on PS3? Normally I wouldn't care about a re-release, but I want to support Bethesda because they are the caretakers of my favorite series and I'm looking forward to Skyrim and like steelbooks ...

[quote name='etcrane']I have this on PC (GOTY edition) and owned it on 360 as one of the first games I bought for the system. Any reason to pick it up on PS3? Normally I wouldn't care about a re-release, but I want to support Bethesda because they are the caretakers of my favorite series and I'm looking forward to Skyrim and like steelbooks ...[/QUOTE]

Maybe if the PS3 version had trophies, it would be motivation to play it again. This is one game for the PS3 version had the edge on the 360 version. So as far as that goes it was at least a quality port.

Personally I'm only getting the PS3 version if it is confirmed it has trophies, I pre-ordered only on the basis that it has trophies. if it doesn't, I will just cancel. Maybe I'll get the 5th Ann. PC version instead, or maybe I'll just cancel completely. It's wait and see right now. Hopefully Bethesda or somebody says something definitive.

People getting the PS3 should know that version has vampirism bug which prevents you from getting a cure. 360 is the console version to get if you have both consoles. PC is of course the best version if you have a good enough PC for it.

So for PS3 only gamers: being a vampire isn't fun for the entire game so make sure you never become one.

Hmm, since I currently have it on PC, maybe I should just buy it on the 360 because I think I had some of the DLC that doesn't come with this on 360 like the Thieves Den & Wizard Tower ... I wish these companies would stop screwing their customers over on DLC.

My thought is, if you own the DLC on a console, you should have it available if you buy the game on PC. Games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 screw over loyal customers by forcing you to rebuy the DLC over and over again ... and that's my rant ;)

[quote name='laaj']People getting the PS3 should know that version has vampirism bug which prevents you from getting a cure. 360 is the console version to get if you have both consoles. PC is of course the best version if you have a good enough PC for it.

So for PS3 only gamers: being a vampire isn't fun for the entire game so make sure you never become one.[/QUOTE]

My hope is they patch that and add in trophy support.

[quote name='laaj']People getting the PS3 should know that version has vampirism bug which prevents you from getting a cure. 360 is the console version to get if you have both consoles. PC is of course the best version if you have a good enough PC for it.

So for PS3 only gamers: being a vampire isn't fun for the entire game so make sure you never become one.[/QUOTE]

It was my understanding that any console version with Shivering Isles installed was susceptible to this bug, the difference being that the 360 version has the Vile Lair that can bypass the bugged quest, whereas the PS3 has the vanilla version that can be used to complete the quest.

Was the Vampirism bug taken out entirely from the 360 GOTY version?

Also, I still think better load times, graphics, and frame rate might outweigh a disease that most players say is very easy to prevent in the first place.

For anyone on the fence about picking this up who doesn't own a copy, or owns the vanilla (non-GotY) consider this:

The Shivering Isles DLC's regular price is 2400 MSP... that's $30 on its own (The 5th Anniv edition'll be a total of $30). Even with the sale going on right now, it's still $15.. just for that ONE add-on.

I think that plus all the cool CE stuff, and the steelbook, warrants a purchase. I also doubt they'll lower the price of the GotY edition since this is a "limited" run.

However, if you own the GotY version, this is pretty much for the hardcore among you.

That is all.

Edit: Reports are saying it'll just be $10 off Skyrim, buying guide is NOT necessary. We can hope!

i already have this game. i am gonna hate it if i have to rebuy it to get trophies because they were too lazy/greedy to patch trophies in the original. now if this has trophies and they patch the original also, that would be awesome.

[quote name='JanusZeal2']It was my understanding that any console version with Shivering Isles installed was susceptible to this bug, the difference being that the 360 version has the Vile Lair that can bypass the bugged quest, whereas the PS3 has the vanilla version that can be used to complete the quest.

Was the Vampirism bug taken out entirely from the 360 GOTY version?

Also, I still think better load times, graphics, and frame rate might outweigh a disease that most players say is very easy to prevent in the first place.[/QUOTE]

That bug only appears on the PS3 version.

Not sure about if PS3 version looks and works better though. Bethesda is PC first company, just like Valve, and it makes sense to me that 360 port will have less issue than the PS3 port.

What is gonna suck is if online places like Amazon have the best deals on Skyrim and we can't use our coupon there. We'll have to possibly go into Best But or Gamestop and pay full price to use the coupon. :(

[quote name='HeSaveDave']What is gonna suck is if online places like Amazon have the best deals on Skyrim and we can't use our coupon there. We'll have to possibly go into Best But or Gamestop and pay full price to use the coupon. :([/QUOTE]

I'm hoping the coupon expires in dec. Cause I'm sure someone will have this on sale for black Friday. If not I'll probably get it at TRU since they'll most likely have a 10-15 GC.

Does anyone know any other locations that this will be available yet? I checked gamestop.com but nothing there???

[quote name='rpger84']Does anyone know any other locations that this will be available yet? I checked gamestop.com but nothing there???[/QUOTE]

Gamestop will not be carrying it more than likely. K-Mart, Bestbuy, Overstock and Amazon.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']What is gonna suck is if online places like Amazon have the best deals on Skyrim and we can't use our coupon there. We'll have to possibly go into Best But or Gamestop and pay full price to use the coupon. :([/QUOTE]

K-Mart should have a killer deal on it if you have one close by.

[quote name='laaj']

Not sure about if PS3 version looks and works better though. Bethesda is PC first company, just like Valve, and it makes sense to me that 360 port will have less issue than the PS3 port.[/QUOTE]

Quick scan of Metacritic reviews for PS3 version:

[quote name='Computer and Video Games']Oblivion on PS3 is every bit as incredible as other versions. If you own a PS3 and haven't played it, do yourself a favour[/QUOTE]

[quote name='WHAM! Gaming']While the story and gameplay are identical, the PS3 iteration of Oblivion is slightly better than its Xbox 360 cousin from a visual and technical standpoint. Standing on the top of a tall hill and gazing at the landscape below is even more breathtaking than before, thanks to a greater level of distant detail in the environments. Loading times have also been shortened a bit, making transitions between areas a little smoother.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GamerNode']The PS3 version may look and run slightly better, and it may include Knights of the Nine from the get-go, but the status of the expansion is something you have to consider, and the fact that there's really nothing new should convince you to stick with what you have.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Extreme Gamer']The PS3 version is just as grand and impressive as the previous versions, if not slightly better in the graphics department.[/QUOTE]

Thats for the main game. Couldn't find many for expansions.

But basically, just get it on the console you like better.

further proof that PS3 console is superior overall. their oblivion has the exclusive incurable vampire bug. i mean vampirism is so trendy right now; twilight, true blood, shit like that. why would you want to get cured?

[quote name='giantqtipz']further proof that PS3 console is superior overall. their oblivion has the exclusive incurable vampire bug. i mean vampirism is so trendy right now; twilight, true blood, shit like that. why would you want to get cured?[/QUOTE]

lmao. Good one.

You can trade the GotY into GameStop (as of 3 days ago) for $22.50. Sadly they don't seem to be getting this game, but that's a $10 profit in GS credit. If you got it on 360, Best Buy is giving $20 for it (but $7 for the PS3 version), making the 5th Ann. $10.

Just some options for you since each one offers some "profit" on it.

Ordered a copy for the Amazon. Never played this game before. Any chance this iteration of the game will be worth anything in the future due to its limited run?

[quote name='machindo']Ordered a copy for the Amazon. Never played this game before. Any chance this iteration of the game will be worth anything in the future due to its limited run?[/QUOTE]

No, because there is no indication it's limited in any way.

[quote name='bojay1997']No, because there is no indication it's limited in any way.[/QUOTE]

They'll stop producing when they can't afford more steel.

[quote name='earvcunanan']
Contents:

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Edition (includes Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles DLC)
  • $10 off coupon for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (can be used at any retailer)
  • Collector's Edition content (map, making of DVD, trailer for Skyrim)
  • Steelbook case and slip cover
  • There will be 200,000 units made, so it is limited
Release date: June 28, 2011 for PS3, 360, and PC[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bojay1997']No, because there is no indication it's limited in any way.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='HeSaveDave']:applause:[/QUOTE]

It has already been confirmed earlier in the thread that this is not a firm number, it was just an estimate by the distributor to see what the level of interest would be. They will make a decision based on the pre-orders. 200k copies of a game that is five years old and most people won't buy again is not limited in any way. In fact, I know of a number of DS games from third parties that were pressed in quantities of 5K to 10K. Despite that fact, a lack of demand means they aren't "limited" or rare. Same thing here.

As I pointed out earlier, the 200K was a rough estimate from a gaming blog. Other media outlets used them as a source and ran with it as fact.

There is no indication that these are in fact limited to 200K. I'm guessing they won't be around forever, but anyone who wants want should be able to pick one up within the first few months of its release (if not longer)

I'll post the email I received from nitrobeard.com again for those that may have missed it:
Hey Michael, as far as the limited nature of this Oblivion re-release, I obtained the information through the direct-order manufacturer, as they're sending out emails to get a feel on how many each of their stores should order. They sent out .pdf files, and a clunky excel spreadsheet, and only mentioned that 'top order percentage' stores were getting the title because of its limited run. That's why in the article, it only shows the Overstock.com page (as that's the only real online source I saw, but after the story broke, Amazon added up a listing). It's being published through Ingram Entertainment, the same company that did rentals for Blockbuster, Best Buy, and other major retailers. The 200,000 number was a 'rough estimate' that was able to flucuate, so if the demand is high enough, they'll probably press more copies. Ingram's picky about that type of stuff sometimes, though, so I wouldn't sit back and wait! Thanks for checking us out, man!

[quote name='machindo']Ordered a copy for the Amazon. Never played this game before. Any chance this iteration of the game will be worth anything in the future due to its limited run?[/QUOTE]
Even if it isn't rare, it's pretty hard to find the GOTY edition of this for under $30 unless you can get lucky (or at least in my experience), and with the $10 off Skyrim coupon, it adds to the value.

So, no one know for sure it's not limited but no one know for sure it is. Some "nitrobeard" guy says it might not be.

Either way, I'm ordering it.

If there is one truth to video games that I've learned here it is.

If you want a game and you are OK with the price, buy it. Don't worry if it's limited or rare or may become valuable in the future. If the price is too high for you then wait. Do not buy video games as a form of investment. Yeah some games go up in value, but those are the minority.

I feel that $30 for this edition is a really great price. It's the GotY plus more in a steelbook (which I love) so this was a no-brainer for me.

200,000 is NOT limited! It's just a PR thing to get people to think they need to buy it at release.

Would you consider Lost Planet 2 to have been a "limited release" if they said in a press release it would be limited to 500,000 copies?

200k for a repackaging is a TON! The GOTY edition which is content wise pretty much the same has been on store shelves for 4 years. The reason why they call it a "limited release" is because making any more than 200,000 copies is a risky business decision.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']If there is one truth to video games that I've learned here it is.

If you want a game and you are OK with the price, buy it. Don't worry if it's limited or rare or may become valuable in the future. If the price is too high for you then wait. Do not buy video games as a form of investment. Yeah some games go up in value, but those are the minority.

I feel that $30 for this edition is a really great price. It's the GotY plus more in a steelbook (which I love) so this was a no-brainer for me.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This game is worth the $30 anyway. Plus with all the free bonuses, it's a great deal.

Also here is a question, what is exactly coming on the PS3 version. Is it just the game + expansions or is it the game, expansions + extra DLC? I don't know what was released on PS3 DLC wise.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']So, no one know for sure it's not limited but no one know for sure it is. Some "nitrobeard" guy says it might not be.

Either way, I'm ordering it.[/QUOTE]

nitrobeard.com were the ones who started the rumors that it was limited. They are the first source for the majority of news when this broke. Anyone using the 200,000 figure got it from them in one way or another.

Their article stated:
Bethesda's pulling a Disney, and re-releasing a super special 5th Anniversary Edition of Oblivion. The idea is a 'from the vault' package for true collectors (word on the street is, only 200,000 will be made, ever) that includes the following:​

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game Of The Year Edition
  • Collector's Edition Content (map, 'Making Of' DVD with an added Skyrim trailer)
  • A $10 Off Coupon (redeemable at any retailer, nationwide) for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
All of this comes packed in a super sexy steelbook with slip cover (as shown above), and the best part? It's $29.99, and will release on June 28th for PS3, XBox 360, and PC. I already own the package on Steam, but at $30, with a $10 coupon for Skyrim included? Sign me up day one, sucka.
Oh, also, it's going to only be ordered at your local 'mom and pop' game stores, and the only online listing I can find is at Overstock.com. It's going to be an elusive little booger, that's for sure. Thanks to Bethesda for the heads-up!
So I decided to contact them and ask where they got that figure from and the email I posted above was their reply.

[quote name='ssjmichael']nitrobeard.com were the ones who started the rumors that it was limited. They are the first source for the majority of news when this broke. Anyone using the 200,000 figure got it from them in one way or another.

Their article stated:
So I decided to contact them and ask where they got that figure from and the email I posted above was their reply.[/QUOTE]

So, "nitrobeard" knows without a doubt that it is limited? Is that what you're saying?

Decided to bust out the ancient disks for PC I had, installed, started playing (no gaming laptop... so 800x600 with everything off...) and I realize, I NEED this game back in my life.... just with the ability to enjoy it with real graphics.... much prefer not shooting a fuzzy blob with my fuzzy arrow.

Very ready to buy Skyrim when it comes out, so $10 off.... DONE!

Never played any of the expansions, and haven't a care in the world that it doesn't come with horse armor.

Pre-ordered in a heartbeat. :D Thanks

[quote name='HeSaveDave']So, "nitrobeard" knows without a doubt that it is not limited? Is that what you're saying?[/QUOTE]

Dude, did you read what I posted? It's all there, read it again.

From what I have read isn't it a limited print run (200,000 or something). Over in the KMart thread Josh stated that it was a limited run and that they were able to get a few per store on release.

Does that mean they will reproduce it like they did with Mario All Stars who knows. But it might be like SW: TFU Sith Ed

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I read it. It looks like some guy is stating something. How do you know that he's correct? Cuz he is "nitrobeard"? WTF is "nitrobeard"? lol

Look I quoted someone. It must be true.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HeSaveDave']So, "nitrobeard" knows without a doubt that it is not limited? Is that what you're saying?[/QUOTE]

You obviously have reading difficulties. How could you have read what I posted, and then reply that nitrobeard (which is the name of the site, not the author btw) is saying it's not limited, when I am clearly pointing out that they are saying it is limited.

I'll highlight the parts where they imply it's limited in case you missed it:

The idea is a 'from the vault' package for true collectors (word on the street is, only 200,000 will be made, ever)

Oh, also, it's going to only be ordered at your local 'mom and pop' game stores, ..... It's going to be an elusive little booger, that's for sure
Get hooked on phonics dude, seriously, because you just made yourself look like an idiot with that reading comprehension you displayed above.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You obviously have reading difficulties. How could you have read what I posted, and then reply that nitrobeard (which is the name of the site, not the author btw) is saying it's not limited, when I am clearly pointing out that they are saying it is limited.

I'll highlight the parts where they imply it's limited in case you missed it:

Get hooked on phonics dude, seriously, because you just made yourself look like an idiot with that reading comprehension you displayed above.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I mistyped. I'm on vicodin lol. I meant "How do you know it is limted?" That's the point I was making this entire time before I mistyped in my last post. So, how do you know? My point is that this "nitrobeard" guy (yeah I realize it is a website) might not know his asshole from a hole in the wall. So, how is the info you posted is true at all? NITROBEARD KNOWS!!! LOL derp http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8504203&postcount=7202

edit: I'm not arguing either side. At this point there is no confirmation (aside from the all-knowing nitrobeard) to whether it is limited or not. That's all I'm saying. I really don't give a shit. I just want the people to know what's up.

bread's done
Back