Employees of all stores--post your stupid customer stories--part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Kuros']Wow, what a bitch.

You should have asked her if it was easy for her to memorize 300 random games.[/QUOTE]

Which doesn't include "Farcry" yet somehow "Barbie's Horse Adventures" is. :rofl:

[quote name='JediBaja']Yeah, some lady was mad b/c I hadn't memorized the whole XBOX 360 compatability list. Then she pissed me off some more by asking to speak with a male worker to see if he would know.[/QUOTE]

Those are the same customers who think the employees play every single game in the store and should be able to tell them if the game they want is good or not.

This isn't a customer story but more of rant. Our store finally did the conversion for the computers, one of the very last stores too. Anyways, the techs changed the resolution and the refresh rate on the comp and now it's all blury. I couldn't figure it out all day and the piece of crap gave me a headache and made me dizzy! The worst part is I'm the only one who notices it! I'll have to call tech and hopefully they are able to tell me how to change it. I can't work otherwise.

[quote name='JediBaja']Yeah, some lady was mad b/c I hadn't memorized the whole XBOX 360 compatability list. Then she pissed me off some more by asking to speak with a male worker to see if he would know.[/quote]

I've been in the same situation where I'm the male in the equation. I've always told the customer that the girl/woman they were just talking to is the most knowledgeable person in the store on whatever the particular subject is (even if they're not). I really enjoy watching them swallow their pride and go back to that person w/their head hanging down or just out the door. My female coworkers seem to appreciate the backup.

I realized today I hate the customers who feel more assured when you "check the back" or "check the computer" for items. I spend so much time working that I am familiar with all the products we have and so on.

I know around when Mario Kart DS came out an angry asian lady came in and asked for the game. We were sold out of every shipment since we got the game in and she asked a friend of mine who I was working with, if we had any. He said that he was 100% sure we didnt' have it in stock, and I backed him up on it saying we did sell out of our last shipment, and we didn't get any that day. She called us liars and said the last time she came in somebody said we didn't have something but we did. She asked us to check the back and my friend was hesistant. I told him he didn't need to because there was no Mario Kart games in the back just old stuff like WWF Raw for Xbox, lots of overstock of GT 4, and so on. She told me to shut up and that she was talking to him. I kept telling her that we were indeed sold out and that I had no reason to lie to her. Again she kept going on with telling me to shut up. So I told my friend to check the back and he came back and told her we didn't have any in back. She then thanks him and rings up some stuff she got with him, telling her how stupid and I am, that I don't know how to treat customers. She then asks for my manager so I call him over and she repeats the same stuff she told me to him, how I should be fired and so on.

I then say "ok fine I'll just be quiet, let's just leave it at that". She says ok, but just keeps talking and talking out loud about how dumb I am so all the customers can hear. My temper got the best of me and told her "Oh god, why don't you just shut up". She then left but not before mumbling on her way out. Luckily a handful of customers were complaining about her and told my manager that she was being a bitch to everyone working, so I was off the hook.

Yea yea, I know it was an asshole move on my part to tell my friend to not check the back that we were sure we didn't have any copies, but why should I when I am 100% good with my stock. Those of you who work at small video game sections like ones at TRU, it's pretty easy to remember what you have, what you have had, and what you may be getting. Why is it that people think "the back" is the magical place where all games appear when people ask for them.

RANT OVER.

[quote name='Scoobert']Those are the same customers who think the employees play every single game in the store and should be able to tell them if the game they want is good or not.[/QUOTE]

Movies and music count in this too. I really love the ones that show up right the minute the doors open on Tuesday and start asking me if I had seen every new release and which ones are good. To steal a phrase from Jim Ross "Good GOD Almighty" like I would know since I hadn't seen most of the new releases as they JUST came out... and like I'm going to waste my personal time listening to crap like 50 Cent just to tell someone if its good or not (and believe me... I'd probably would say it sucked anyways as I can't stand rap).

here's on instore from my best buy days....

this one overweight girl comes in because her computer stops working. blown capacity, so we had to send it out. average time then was 6-10 days turn-around.
well, she was in everyday asking if it was in yet. well, on day 4 or 5, my friend got suckered into working the counter. the girl came back....again..... but dressed....er...well, it would have been hot on a girl that was hot, but she had things flowinf out that no man should have to see. she then asks my friend, in a phone sex operater voice, if the pc is back, since she needs to get on aim. he said not yet....and she procedes to bend over and wisper to him..."i'll do anything to get my pc back today". his face dropped, became pale, and he uttered...it won't be back for another 3 days.... she then said "is there anything i can do for you to get my pc back today?" he said sorry, nothing at all, since it's at the service center. she then left... and my friend ran to the back to be made fun of by every tech on duty that day, me included.

[quote name='ashram']here's on instore from my best buy days....

this one overweight girl comes in because her computer stops working. blown capacity, so we had to send it out. average time then was 6-10 days turn-around.
well, she was in everyday asking if it was in yet. well, on day 4 or 5, my friend got suckered into working the counter. the girl came back....again..... but dressed....er...well, it would have been hot on a girl that was hot, but she had things flowinf out that no man should have to see. she then asks my friend, in a phone sex operater voice, if the pc is back, since she needs to get on aim. he said not yet....and she procedes to bend over and wisper to him..."i'll do anything to get my pc back today". his face dropped, became pale, and he uttered...it won't be back for another 3 days.... she then said "is there anything i can do for you to get my pc back today?" he said sorry, nothing at all, since it's at the service center. she then left... and my friend ran to the back to be made fun of by every tech on duty that day, me included.[/quote]
:lol::applause:

[quote name='ashram']here's on instore from my best buy days....

well, she was in everyday asking if it was in yet. well, on day 4 or 5, my friend got suckered into working the counter. the girl came back....again..... but dressed....er...well, it would have been hot on a girl that was hot, but she had things flowinf out that no man should have to see. she then asks my friend, in a phone sex operater voice, if the pc is back, since she needs to get on aim. he said not yet....and she procedes to bend over and wisper to him..."i'll do anything to get my pc back today". his face dropped, became pale, and he uttered...it won't be back for another 3 days.... she then said "is there anything i can do for you to get my pc back today?" he said sorry, nothing at all, since it's at the service center. she then left... and my friend ran to the back to be made fun of by every tech on duty that day, me included.[/QUOTE]

i would have told her "yeah, there is something you can do.wear this." and proceed to hand her a shipping carton for a refrigerator/washer/dryer....

[quote name='neocisco']I've been in the same situation where I'm the male in the equation. I've always told the customer that the girl/woman they were just talking to is the most knowledgeable person in the store on whatever the particular subject is (even if they're not). I really enjoy watching them swallow their pride and go back to that person w/their head hanging down or just out the door. My female coworkers seem to appreciate the backup.[/QUOTE]

I've done that, too. I either said "she knows a lot more about it than I do" or "what she just told you is exactly right," and in both instances I walked away so they were forced to deal with the woman they'd just insulted.

I got a good one.

Some kid: Hey do you have that Fun Box.

Co-worker: What is that?

Kid: You don't have that Fun Box?

Co: I have no idea what you are talking about.....

Kid: You know, it's on that commercial, it's a Fun Box.

Me listening to the conversation.

Me: Oh you mean that Xbox commerical, about the Fun Box?

Kid: Yea do you sell that?

Me: Dude, it's only a commerical, they sell all those games seperate.

Kid: Well do you have it?

Me: : |

Kid: Oh ok, thanks anyway.

Me: Owned.

End

Here's a stupid customer. I was having a bad day, so it didn't have to go exactly like this, but I was angry, so I decided to patronize this lady for pissing me off more. Again, if you don't know, I'm the door guy at Costco making sure you have a card. A reasoning behind my job is if you go around shopping without a card, go up to the register, and try to pay, they will need a card, therefore causing wasted time there which will frustrate anyone but your dumbass for coming into a store where you need a card.

Ahem, anyway, on to today's stupid customer. This lady walks passed me as if she owns the world.

Me: Excuse me m'am, I need to see your card.
Her: My husband is out at the gas station using the card, he'll be in in half-an-hour. *She proceeds to walk passed me as if nothing is wrong*
Me: *I stop her and say* M'am, I need to see a card to let you in.
Her: But my husband is out at the gas station and he needs it to use it, I told you, he'll be here in half an hour and show you then.
Me: *This is where I get angry* I'm sorry, but I need to see your card NOW to let you in.
Her: But my husband is using it, I have ID, he'll be in in a while.
Me: I can't let you in without a card AT ALL.
Her: But I have ID... Fine, I'll try the other side.

I knew the guys doing the other side and they were asking everyone for their cards then so she couldn't get through their either. I eventually lost track of her, but she didn't help my day any better.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Here's a stupid customer. I was having a bad day, so it didn't have to go exactly like this, but I was angry, so I decided to patronize this lady for pissing me off more. Again, if you don't know, I'm the door guy at Costco making sure you have a card. A reasoning behind my job is if you go around shopping without a card, go up to the register, and try to pay, they will need a card, therefore causing wasted time there which will frustrate anyone but your dumbass for coming into a store where you need a card.

Ahem, anyway, on to today's stupid customer. This lady walks passed me as if she owns the world.

Me: Excuse me m'am, I need to see your card.
Her: My husband is out at the gas station using the card, he'll be in in half-an-hour. *She proceeds to walk passed me as if nothing is wrong*
Me: *I stop her and say* M'am, I need to see a card to let you in.
Her: But my husband is out at the gas station and he needs it to use it, I told you, he'll be here in half an hour and show you then.
Me: *This is where I get angry* I'm sorry, but I need to see your card NOW to let you in.
Her: But my husband is using it, I have ID, he'll be in in a while.
Me: I can't let you in without a card AT ALL.
Her: But I have ID... Fine, I'll try the other side.

I knew the guys doing the other side and they were asking everyone for their cards then so she couldn't get through their either. I eventually lost track of her, but she didn't help my day any better.[/quote]
I remember all my funs time sneaking into Costco. I would find an asian family then walk next to them acting like they're my family. Then I would go inside and get some free samples or whatever. But yea what if the lady really was telling the truth and wanted to get in to start shopping and save some time.

[quote name='BiLo']But yea what if the lady really was telling the truth and wanted to get in to start shopping and save some time.[/quote]

Even if the lady was telling the truth, I couldn't let her in. If she had said her husband was inside, I'd be a bit more willing. But it was the fact that she was just going to breeze passed me when I was asking everyone else. As well, I could have just told her to go over to membership to get a temporary with her ID, but no, she made me mad; don't make the person mad who has the power to let you in a store or not.

Anyway, a good way to get in without a card, for all the cheapass food and all, is to go to membership, say that you just want to look around for today, check out the prices and all. They'll ask for your ID and then they'll print out a piece of paper with a barcode and huge letters that say "LOOK PASS" or something akin to that. With that, you can just flash it at the person at the door, as they/I only look to see if it's something passable so they can get you in the door. In other words, you don't have to get the pass every single time, just keep the pass, go in the front door and go across the registers to get the 1.99 pizza and other cheap food. If the guy notices you walking in the front door without coming through the other side, say that you had to put something in the car or something like that.

[quote name='Scoobert']Those are the same customers who think the employees play every single game in the store and should be able to tell them if the game they want is good or not. [/QUOTE]

I usually ask them this just to make conversation, or get their opinion. Usually when I go in for a game, I know exactly what I'm looking for and I feel bad telling them I don't need their help, so I just start up a conversation about games and what they think about specific titles, or what they might have heard about it from other gamers who come by. I figure they're around them enough, surely they know a little more than myself.

Besides, I just want to make conversation with them. Is that a bad idea? I didn't realize the asking about a game thing might make me look stupid.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I got a good one.

Some kid: Hey do you have that Fun Box.

Me: Owned.

End[/QUOTE]

And in that commercial they put huge words saying "THIS DOESN'T EXIST" to try and prevent that from happening. I knew some people would still be too stupid though.

I get the "Can I speak to a MALE?" thing all the time. Doesn't bother me, because i know they'll just be referred back to me, especially on any questions relating to handhelds.

Coworker gets a question about the Tiger Woods series:
"You know that Tiger Woods 06?"
"Yeah? What about it?"
"Which one came before it?"
"... 2005."
"*Looks at friend* Is that the one? *turns back to coworker* Are you sure?"

There are a ton of instances where someone will be blatantly hitting on me and trying to get my phone number, as well as trying to get me to accept theirs, it has been happening at least once a week for me the past couple of months. :(
"You wanna get together and play some games sometime?"
My boyfriend was in the store at the time, he just laughed at me. Bastards. XD

[quote name='Zingela']I get the "Can I speak to a MALE?" thing all the time. Doesn't bother me, because i know they'll just be referred back to me, especially on any questions relating to handhelds.

"Yeah? What about it?"
"... 2005."

There are a ton of instances where someone will be blatantly hitting on me and trying to get my phone number, as well as trying to get me to accept theirs, it has been happening at least once a week for me the past couple of months. :(
My boyfriend was in the store at the time, he just laughed at me. Bastards. XD[/quote]

It doesn't really bother me that much either. I can understand where the customer is coming from since some retail stores don't necessarily have the most skilled workers in their videogame departments.

I just liked how I "schooled" the lady on how she needed download the latest emulator to allow for the most up-to-date XBOX game compatability. My techie word usage seemed to convince her. But then she got upset b/c we didn't have a computer she could use to log onto the 360 website to look up the compatability list!

Then again, I looked it up myself at home and realized that Microsoft hasn't updated the list since Dec. 05. So even if I had the list or had memorized it, her game, Curious George wouldn't even apply.

[quote name='Zingela']I get the "Can I speak to a MALE?" thing all the time. Doesn't bother me, because i know they'll just be referred back to me, especially on any questions relating to handhelds.

"Yeah? What about it?"
"... 2005."

My boyfriend was in the store at the time, he just laughed at me. Bastards. XD[/QUOTE]

It's not that bad when they ask for a guy. It pisses me off when they'd ask for my recommendation between two games and choose the game that I didn't choose because I'm a girl...that's usually when I smile and tell them to enjoy their copy of 25 to Life.

[quote name='vietgurl']It's not that bad when they ask for a guy. It pisses me off when they'd ask for my recommendation between two games and choose the game that I didn't choose because I'm a girl...that's usually when I smile and tell them to enjoy their copy of 25 to Life.[/QUOTE]
Oh good, you don't recommend 25 to Life....good, now I can go buy it since I dont trust your opinion :p

[quote name='the_gloaming']I usually ask them this just to make conversation, or get their opinion. Usually when I go in for a game, I know exactly what I'm looking for and I feel bad telling them I don't need their help, so I just start up a conversation about games and what they think about specific titles, or what they might have heard about it from other gamers who come by. I figure they're around them enough, surely they know a little more than myself.

Besides, I just want to make conversation with them. Is that a bad idea? I didn't realize the asking about a game thing might make me look stupid.[/QUOTE]

No no, I mean customers who essentially drop money on the counter and say "pick a game." That REALLY doesn't happen, but some might as well. And you know what happens most of the time? They come back and say the game sucks, and they want to exchange it or get their money back. I have never recommended a game like that, but I've seens co-workers do it and time after time that customer ends up coming back to complain.

A lot of customers don't have a mind of their own and don't do any research. It's retail, it's expected but very sad at the same time. You really see how a lot of companies make their money. Ignorant consumers FTW!

I wish I could explain it better, maybe if it wasn't late and me being so tired I could do a better job of explaining it.

I, we actually get customers that really believe we play every single game in the store. You'll get customers that want us to play every single game so we could tell THEM if the game is any good. They don't realize I have a life outside of games and I have to buy every single game. Then if you bring the money issue up, they'll just talk about we should be able to take games home.

Yeah, I really live to play every single game in the world just so you don't buy a crappy game.

Ohh...I do have a good story though from the other day. I made a regular, well, not really a regular. All he does is come in the store, looks around and talks, and talks, and talks. Did I mention he talks a lot? I'm throwing out some trash, some boxes and I notice him from a distance. He asks me whats in the boxes and I tell him games I have to throw away. He couldn't believe it, kept asking me "really? yeah, right!" So what do I have in the boxes? An empty dvd display box. I lift it up in the air and toss everything in the the dumpster. Before I know it he's running to the dumpster to go diving.

Ahh, good times...

Edit: Oh and during the holidays I had a regular bring me Jack Daniels because how nice I am.

Not really a stupid customer story, but a nice customer story for a change. Talk about a score, yeah baby!! lol Of course I don't drink though, haha.

[quote name='Scoobert']No no, I mean customers who essentially drop money on the counter and say "pick a game."[/QUOTE]

If it does ever happen, recommend 25 to Life or Aquaman.

[quote name='evanft']If it does ever happen, recommend 25 to Life or Aquaman.[/QUOTE]

That Happaned to me during Christmas time. These 2 older men (mexican) can in buying a PS2, I asked if they were sending it to Mexico and they said yes. They didn't know which games to buy so he told me to pick out 3 games I would like. So I picked out Resident Evil 4, Dragon Quest 8 and Ratchet Deadlock.

Guy comes in with his son, no problem right? Except the son is one of those kids who likes to whine about everything and fuck up stuff.

The whole time this guy is there, his son is moving shit around and I didn't notice at the time because I was busy with other stuff.

The guy finds the games he wants and while I'm trying to ring him up, another customer asks a question about getting a PS2 fixed, my manager tells that we don't fix them unfortunally and then the dude proceeds to tell the guy everything about sending it in and where the systems are fixed. He wasn't even asked, he just went on a rant.

At the time, his son is trying to open candy and I'm having to stop him because the dad isn't doing shit. Then the son is trying to tell the dad that he has to go to the bathroom and the guy ignores his son. I'm just thinkin, "Holy shit, listen to him for a second." and also hoping I can get this transaction done. Finally when he finishes with the other customer I tell him the price and he goes "Well, are you gonna ask me for my card?" in a condesending tone.

I almost hit him.

The worst part of it though... THE fuckER DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY THE ITEMS!

I was supressing rage at the moment and he's all "Oh I'll come back later."

Ha, this lady comes into work tonite to return a CD that doesnt work. My customer service worker tells her, just like it says on the receipt, that we can only exchange it for the same exact thing. The lady doesn't accept that, so I am called over.

I tell the lady the exact same thing and she says "How do I know the new CD won't be scratched up liek this one?" and I tell her that we are going to open it up before she leaves and take a look. She then orders me to go find the CD for her.....

I come back up, do the excahgne and start opening it. She starts yelling at me, asking why I am opening it. I told her that it was policy and it is part of enforcing the copyrite laws. She then demands to see where its written down. We don't have it written down ma'am.

I get where she's going with this so I tell her "We have to open it up because if I didn't, then you could just take that one and your receipt and return it, thus circumventing the copyrite laws that we are trying to protect."

She looks at my name tag really hard and says "Ryan, I'm going to have to call this 1-800 number and report you for doing this"

I said "Ma'am, I would be glad if you did that." Then she stormed out.

Working at a sports store, one thing pisses me off more than anything: buying something just because everyone else has one.

Them:'Let me get that A hat' (like this)
Me:'You mean the Braves?'
Them:'No, the A hat'
:wall:

or...
Them:'Man, that CT hat is off the chain!'
Me: :error: :whistle2:s
Me: realizes they meant this
Me: #-o

I've been swearing one of these days that the next time a wannabe comes in wanting a Yankees hat, I'm going to ask him to name the RF. If they don't pass, no hat. And the requests for George Mason should be along any day. I just have to tell myself not to laugh. We get people who want Steelers stuff a month after they win the SB, and when we don't have it, it's 'Man, those bandwagon fans...' Hey buddy, where've you been the last ten years if you don't have anything?

It's guaranteed whoever wins the NCAAs, the next day we'll have people asking for their stuff and complaining about 'bandwagon fans' buying it all, or complaining we didn't get any in just for them.

Me and my friend were working at costco and i was on my break and we were bullshiting about random crap and my friend said something about shooting polar bears. Just as he said that a polish guy walked by and thought my friend said he wanted to shoot poles and the guy got so pissed off and he started yelling at us. We both just laughed at him until he left. :p

a customer today threw a big hissy fit that lasted maybe 20 minutes because...

1. he wanted Nintendo to make a AC adapter that worked for the Gameboy Micro and the DS. he lost his and said it was stupid on Nintendo's part to not make that. he then stated that was the reason he was thinking about no longer buying their stuff.

2. he complained about paying $6 for DS screen protectors. he said it was stupid to be paying that much for plastic. I mentioned that it was a small price to pay to keep your $130-150 dollar investment in good shape. he still thought it was stupid.

how i love retail..

[quote name='tindall311']Ha, this lady comes into work tonite to return a CD that doesnt work. My customer service worker tells her, just like it says on the receipt, that we can only exchange it for the same exact thing. The lady doesn't accept that, so I am called over.

I come back up, do the excahgne and start opening it. She starts yelling at me, asking why I am opening it. I told her that it was policy and it is part of enforcing the copyrite laws. She then demands to see where its written down. We don't have it written down ma'am.

I get where she's going with this so I tell her "We have to open it up because if I didn't, then you could just take that one and your receipt and return it, thus circumventing the copyrite laws that we are trying to protect."
[/QUOTE]

Not to be a dick, but there is nothing in the copyright laws about returning opened merchandise. Or about clerks opening exchanged merchandise. It's a store policy, and probably should be written out somewhere so it doesn't look like cashiers are just making it up to further harass the "professional victims" that so easily take offense to such things.

It's really about loss prevention, as even as few as 5 years ago there were very liberal return policies in effect, and copyright laws haven't changed all that much in the meantime. Retailers just got tired of the old "free rental" and clamped down on that sort of thing. But it's not a part of the copyright law.

Well, if it is illegal to download music for free, then it is also illegal to pay for the CD, burn the CD, then return it and get the money back for it. Either way, the artist is not getting the revenue deserved.
hence, retail stores are doing their part to enforce the copyright lawsby having policies to only exchange opened media for the same thing and to open the new one also.

[quote name='tindall311']Well, if it is illegal to download music for free, then it is also illegal to pay for the CD, burn the CD, then return it and get the money back for it. Either way, the artist is not getting the revenue deserved.
hence, retail stores are doing their part to enforce the copyright lawsby having policies to only exchange opened media for the same thing and to open the new one also.[/QUOTE]

It's not illegal to open a CD, not like it and try to return it though. Which is why the policy is in place. People used to do this all the time or would "rent" games and return them. That's where the policy comes from.

The thing I am trying to point out is that with all the CD copying and burning technology that is readily available, the few ruin it for the many.
Although this person "didn't like the cd", how are we to know that they ended up liking it, burned it, and are now just trying to return it to get their money back.
It's not illegal to open the CD, but no one can prove that they did not burn it.

And yes, it used to be in place for people who just wanted to "rent" them basically, but now it is used because of the ease of copying.

[quote name='Fanboy']Not to be a dick, but there is nothing in the copyright laws about returning opened merchandise. Or about clerks opening exchanged merchandise. It's a store policy, and probably should be written out somewhere so it doesn't look like cashiers are just making it up to further harass the "professional victims" that so easily take offense to such things.

It's really about loss prevention, as even as few as 5 years ago there were very liberal return policies in effect, and copyright laws haven't changed all that much in the meantime. Retailers just got tired of the old "free rental" and clamped down on that sort of thing. But it's not a part of the copyright law.[/QUOTE]

Where have you been? It's been this way at pretty much every major retailer for 10 years. At least. I remember buying STP-Purple when it came out, and Blockbuster Music had that policy in effect, as did Media Play.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Where have you been? It's been this way at pretty much every major retailer for 10 years. At least. I remember buying STP-Purple when it came out, and Blockbuster Music had that policy in effect, as did Media Play.[/QUOTE]

Again, his point is that its store policy to enforce not returning open merchandise and only exchanging, not copyright law. But usually stores will just mark it on the receipt that an exchange took place for the broken cd reason, not open the cd itself.

[quote name='Heyricochet']Again, his point is that its store policy to enforce not returning open merchandise and only exchanging, not copyright law. But usually stores will just mark it on the receipt that an exchange took place for the broken cd reason, not open the cd itself.[/QUOTE]

Once again I have to disagree. Every instance I've encountered is that they break the seal.

As a break in this asinine argument with copyright infringement, I have a Stupid Customer to add in. It's pretty tame, but it certainly broke up the day.

Him: Hey, why didn't you guys have Chronicles of Narnia?
Me: You mean the dvd? (we carry dvd's and books)
Him: Yeah, why didn't you have it? I looked all over for it.
Me: It's not out yet. Come back tuesday and we'll have a ton of them.

Someone told me this quote a while back, or I read it, or whatever, but I agree with it; "Retail wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the customers."

I implore all CAGs with craft-inclined relatives... please encourage to READ their ads before coming down and filling a cart with 'on sale' things. You have NO idea how much crap I had to put back yesterday becuase of people coming up with coupons and ads, finding out that, y'know, it said April 2nd RIGHT ON THE DAMN PAPER, and changed their minds. (One lady upon that informed me "I don't want any of this then", and took 5 minutes unloading assorted crap from every pocket on her baby stroller onto my counter. :bomb: )

If this was an April Fool's joke, I'm not amused.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I implore all CAGs with craft-inclined relatives... please encourage to READ their ads before coming down and filling a cart with 'on sale' things. You have NO idea how much crap I had to put back yesterday becuase of people coming up with coupons and ads, finding out that, y'know, it said April 2nd RIGHT ON THE DAMN PAPER, and changed their minds. (One lady upon that informed me "I don't want any of this then", and took 5 minutes unloading assorted crap from every pocket on her baby stroller onto my counter. :bomb: )

If this was an April Fool's joke, I'm not amused.[/QUOTE]

Usually when I get an ad, I assume it's current. Maybe they should distribute the ad in the April 2nd paper if they want to advertise sales for April 2nd.

[quote name='AlanSaysYo']Usually when I get an ad, I assume it's current. Maybe they should distribute the ad in the April 2nd paper if they want to advertise sales for April 2nd.[/quote]

Stupid... They put the ads out a week in advance so YOU KNOW ABOUT IT.

"Oh yea... we didn't want to bother you with looking at the effective date of the coupon... so we thought we'd let you know we had a sale yesturday."

Their goal is to get people in the store. They don't care if you're too stupid to look at the date. Actually they prefer it that way because this way you either make two trips or buy stuff at full price.

I work as a cook at a deli, so I don't get very many stupid customer stories. The dumbest thing a customer has done so far was probably when this guy asked for a sample of our tortilla chips.

[quote name='AlanSaysYo']Usually when I get an ad, I assume it's current. Maybe they should distribute the ad in the April 2nd paper if they want to advertise sales for April 2nd.[/QUOTE]

That's what they're supposed to do!! Our ads are only supposed to come in Sunday papers. Then people get the ad on day one of a 7-day sale.

We have no clue where the Mystery Mailer Company gets our ad from... all I know is they never put it out when they should, and people come in to bitch at me about it (cuz ya know, I send out the ads personally, apparently. :roll: )

Anyway, the important thing is, the number of people with the early ad on Saturday was like 3 times higher than normal when this happens. Pretty much every other person had the frickin' ad! And NO ONE looked at it before they got to the counter! Crazy, man...

[quote name='DuelLadyS']That's what they're supposed to do!! Our ads are only supposed to come in Sunday papers. Then people get the ad on day one of a 7-day sale.

We have no clue where the Mystery Mailer Company gets our ad from... all I know is they never put it out when they should, and people come in to bitch at me about it (cuz ya know, I send out the ads personally, apparently. :roll: )

Anyway, the important thing is, the number of people with the early ad on Saturday was like 3 times higher than normal when this happens. Pretty much every other person had the frickin' ad! And NO ONE looked at it before they got to the counter! Crazy, man...[/quote]

Yeah! C'mon! It's not the customer's responsibility to read something for themselves! How dare we expect grown adults to act like...grown adults!:roll: I'm just going to start slapping the stupid ones. On second thought, probably not. My hand would be killing me by the end of the day. Oh, yeah, I'd get fired too.

[quote name='neocisco']Yeah! C'mon! It's not the customer's responsibility to read something for themselves! How dare we expect grown adults to act like...grown adults!:roll: I'm just going to start slapping the stupid ones. On second thought, probably not. My hand would be killing me by the end of the day. Oh, yeah, I'd get fired too.[/quote]

I suggest a stupid sticker along the lines of post-it notes. Just have a stack of them handy, and whenever a customer does something stupid, palm a 'stupid sticker' and pat them on the back "I'll see you later slugger" or something stupid like that.

[quote name='sonderiaom']I suggest a stupid sticker along the lines of post-it notes. Just have a stack of them handy, and whenever a customer does something stupid, palm a 'stupid sticker' and pat them on the back "I'll see you later slugger" or something stupid like that.[/quote]

But I like the thrill of potentially being charged w/assault.:lol:

apparently some out of the way places actually get their flyers in the saturday newspapers. i havent seen it since, but we had tons of people coming in from BFE on saturdays around Christmas with the new ads in hand, all saying they came in that day's newspaper

[quote name='sonderiaom']

Someone told me this quote a while back, or I read it, or whatever, but I agree with it; "Retail wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the customers."[/QUOTE]

Its kinda from the movie clerks " This job wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fucking customers."

This is a great thread. I work at Circuit City and will have to post some stories here..... I see alot that are familiar.
Sundays we get tons of people asking for Tuesdays New dvds and cds only to be like CRAP! when we tell them it says New Releases available Tuesday

I just love people like that who can't read the ad. Yesterday I had at least 10 people within the first hour of my shift looking for Narnia - all pointing to the picture in the ad with the words right above it in BRIGHT RED TEXT saying Available Tuesday.

Of course my favorite couple... here's one for ya folks....

A month ago "Harry Potter" came out. Its Monday night and I'm doing the usual stuff to get the store ready for Tuesday. This couple come in and approach me.

Me: Looking for anything in particular?
Woman: Harry Potter.
Me: Not out until tommorow.
Man: Well my daughter has bronchitis and she really wants to watch it tonight.
Me: Sorry, I can't sell it until tommorow.

They walk away with their heads down. I chucked a little and carried on. A few weeks later as you it was "Chicken Little" and by whatever force in the universe I am working again Monday night. Its near closing time when... well I'll let you guess who's came in. Yeah... these two.

Me: Hello welcome to the store.
Man: (mumbles something)
Me: I'm sorry can you repeat that again?
Man: I am looking for Chicken Little?
Me: Its not out until tommorow.
Woman: Well my son has lukemia...
Me: So I guess your daughter's bronchitis is okay now?

They walked away very fast. The man muttered something about "see you tommorow."

The self satisfaction of owning two liars... priceless. :D

:rofl: At what point does lying about cancer become a viable option to avoid waiting 12 hours to see a movie?

[quote name='Demolition Man']
Me: Hello welcome to the store.
Man: (mumbles something)
Me: I'm sorry can you repeat that again?
Man: I am looking for Chicken Little?
Me: Its not out until tommorow.
Woman: Well my son has lukemia...
Me: So I guess your daughter's bronchitis is okay now?

They walked away very fast. The man muttered something about "see you tommorow."

The self satisfaction of owning two liars... priceless. :D[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']:rofl: At what point does lying about cancer become a viable option to avoid waiting 12 hours to see a movie?[/QUOTE]

Dude, have you SEEN Chicken Little? I would so give up my first born for that movie!!!

Seriously though, people can make up some pretty fucked up stories when they think it will get them what they want.

so this guy calls our store (TRU) up today to ask if we are doing PS3 pre-orders. I say we aren't, and nothing has been mentioned yet. he said he saw on the internet that someone took a picture of their pre-sale ticket and it had some weird language on it, said it was spanish. I went on and on explaining to him that if we were taking pre-sales it would be a big deal and I'd know the minute I walked into the store and talk to the manager. he didn't believe me. said he called other stores, they said the same thing I said, but he saw on the internet that stupid pre-sale slip. he spelled out what he saw, and the guy didn't know it was French apparently. he kept telling me I was wrong and I asked him did he physically see a pre-order in a store or if he was running on internet hype. dude sounded disappointed.

I can't wait until he finds out that TRU Canada was the ones rumored to be taking pre-orders for PS3 and the Rev. Hence the words also written in French.

Retail gives me a headache like nothing else quite does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back