Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

Alright, I finally cracked and turned down the difficulty. I'm enjoying the game much, much more now that it isn't buttfuck hard. I might turn it back up once I'm in better standing.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Alright, I finally cracked and turned down the difficulty. I'm enjoying the game much, much more now that it isn't buttfuck hard. I might turn it back up once I'm in better standing.[/quote]

Wait, there's a difficulty setting?? :shock: I had no idea.

[quote name='whoknows']Ok, so this has probably already been asked, but

When do I get the dog?

Also

Where is the family at?
[/quote]

Dog is at the scrapyard. I don't know the exact location.

The family in the Blood Ties mission? They're in the top location of the 3 spots they put on your map. I think it's a junction station.

[quote name='whoknows']Ok, so this has probably already been asked, but

When do I get the dog?

Also

Where is the family at?
[/quote]

Dogmeat is at
The "Minefield" or near it rather in a scrapyard. It's kinda a fair ways Northeast of Megaton/Big Town. (You get the minefield location during a neutral/good karma playthrough quest chain for the survival guide in Megaton. Maybe even evil, but I don't know considering what evil does to the town.)

"The Family" is at
in the subway. There's a ghoul you can ask about their specific location inside once you're in the Subway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already did that quest and I didn't find Dogmeat. But I didn't really explore that area very much though as I just wanted to finish it.

Man I love my house. I have like 200 different items stores there and it just keeps building.

Up to level 11 now and I still can't find the correct subway to get to the Ranger Station or that Hospital (I think?) where the Ranger Mercs are at. Caused me to get jumped by 10-15 Super Mutant (Brutes/Masters) simultaneously. Damn near got raped, but I came out with a few miniguns and chinese assault rifles.

Hey guys, im new here, couldnt help but put in some comments. Fallout 3 is going awesome, its just as good as the first 2 fallouts in its own way.
first off, how do I put up the spoiler button to reveal things. I am having a problem with the blood ties quest and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Did everything, found ian, gave letter, became all friendly with everyone and now im quick traveling back to Arefu, everytime i get there, raider shows up and smokes the guy defending the town (cant remember his name) no matter how many times I do it, and then everyone goes hostile.
Also, the steam engine rifle kicks so much ass, as does the shishcababe. and the nuka grenades. Finding schematics is so great! Highly recommend having a high repair skill. and if anyone wants to know where to get the most powerful weapon from the first fallout in fallout three, let me know ;) i found it and I almost wet my pants.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Alright, I finally cracked and turned down the difficulty. I'm enjoying the game much, much more now that it isn't buttfuck hard. I might turn it back up once I'm in better standing.[/quote]

I believe the game levels with you, does it not? So the difficulty should remain roughly the same throughout.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I believe the game levels with you, does it not? So the difficulty should remain roughly the same throughout.[/quote]

From the main menu, you can set your difficulty level. The default is normal.

[quote name='Gagnondorf']Hey guys, im new here, couldnt help but put in some comments. Fallout 3 is going awesome, its just as good as the first 2 fallouts in its own way.
first off, how do I put up the spoiler button to reveal things. I am having a problem with the blood ties quest and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Did everything, found ian, gave letter, became all friendly with everyone and now im quick traveling back to Arefu, everytime i get there, raider shows up and smokes the guy defending the town (cant remember his name) no matter how many times I do it, and then everyone goes hostile.
Also, the steam engine rifle kicks so much ass, as does the shishcababe. and the nuka grenades. Finding schematics is so great! Highly recommend having a high repair skill. and if anyone wants to know where to get the most powerful weapon from the first fallout in fallout three, let me know ;) i found it and I almost wet my pants.[/QUOTE]

If you quote someone it will be the little Face icon with the finger over his mouth.

Or you can just type this [*SPOILER] [*/SPOILER] around what you want to hide. Don't use the * though. Delete that part out. Or if you just go to "Go Advanced" when tryping something you can find that Face Icon all the way to the right hand side on the Message Toolbar.

Hope that helps and wasn't confusing :whee:

[quote name='Chase']Well, now I'm glad
I haven't gone for Dogmeat. I would feel compelled to reload and regain my in-game pal. :oops:

Edit: And has anyone actually
set off the bomb in Megaton? If so, what happens (and where did you find the part)?
[/quote]

I did (Megaton spoilers)
You get an achievement and a hotel room to call your own. Also, I was in the middle of doing the quest for that woman making her research book, and she survived so you can keep doing that.

How do you diffuse it?

Also, you can up your STR SPECIAL skill by 1 really easy in Megaton by...

...pickpocketing the sheriff's house key off of him, sneaking in, going upstairs to his office and swiping the bobblehead on his desk. I made a save right before I entered just in case because I didn't want him to catch me and end up having to murder him.

The INT bobblehead is also really easy to get by...

...going to Rivet City(extreme southeast corner of the map, by the Jefferson Memorial) to the science lab and getting the bobblehead off of the doctor's desk.

[quote name='Mojimbo']How do you diffuse it?

Also, you can up your STR SPECIAL skill by 1 really easy in Megaton by...

...pickpocketing the sheriff's house key off of him, sneaking in, going upstairs to his office and swiping the bobblehead on his desk. I made a save right before I entered just in case because I didn't want him to catch me and end up having to murder him.
[/quote]

You diffuse it by
having 25 explosives skill if I remember correctly. Though I talked to the Sheriff first about diffusing it before I actually attempted it. So I don't know if you can do it without talking to him first.

About the Strength Bobblehead. You don't need to
pickpocket the sheriff. If you diffuse the bomb in Megaton, his house should be able to be opened without the key. At least that's how I got it as the only person in the game I've pickpocketed from so far is Moriarty.

Thanks, I've been putting my points into lockpicking and small arms so I'll keep that in mind next level. Do you know if 25 on that skill will also be enough for me to do that subquest where you have to diffuse mines or something for research on that book for that woman in Megaton?

This game has taken over my life. I'm really liking it.

My main complaint is that the 3rd person view looks janky as hell. I like being able to see my character, so if I'm given n option, I almost always prefer 3rd person views. The press releases said you could play either way, but it's really hard to do combat, and the animation isn't so hot: your character looks like they're ice skating. I know that I can use 1st person, (I have been mostly), I just like 3rd better...when it's done well. Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, even GTA have good looking and functioning 3rd person cameras.

I'm also kind of bummed that there's a level cap at 20. (I'm not there yet, but i know it exists.)

EDIT: Also, the D-Pad for quick switching weapons really only gives you 4 slots. The 4 corner ones are impossible to select accurately, especially during combat.

Not really a spoiler, but a "how do I get there question"
Where the hell is Rivet City? Is it the giant battle ship? If so, is there anyway to get in without leveling up lock picking all the way that high?

There's a metal walkway across from it. Go up the ramps and on the top level there will be an intercom switch that will trigger a bridge.

So how do I cross the Patomic (sp?)? I've tried two subways already but always end up on the same side. I keep following my arrow marker but no luck.

Also, those fire ants are a bitch!!!!

[quote name='Mojimbo']Thanks, I've been putting my points into lockpicking and small arms so I'll keep that in mind next level. Do you know if 25 on that skill will also be enough for me to do that subquest where you have to diffuse mines or something for research on that book for that woman in Megaton?[/quote]

It's either 25 or 30, but you don't need to disarm any as she gives you a specific objective. So long as you have any frag mine in your inventory, it should complete the optional when you turn it in I think.

Just make sure to save before trying and use the action/interact button to disarm and then pick them up. Don't know what the button is for the 360 version as I'm playing the PC.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']
So how do I cross the Patomic (sp?)? I've tried two subways already but always end up on the same side. I keep following my arrow marker but no luck.
[/quote]

I just swam across the first time, but there are a few bridges that are intact. Don't know if any subways connect across the to the opposite side of the river that aren't blocked from rubble.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Also, those fire ants are a bitch!!!![/quote]

Yeah, when I did the quest that involves them I would eat their glands or whatever for fire resistance. Helped quite a bit, but I still went low health too much as I did it when I was low level.

Odd question, but in Moria Brown's shop in Megaton there's a mercenary there (he's always hanging against the wall) and...Well, is that Kevin Conroy voice of Batman? For some reason soon as I heard this I yelled "OH MY GOD! BATMAN IS HERE!

need halp

i blew up megaton without finding more info about my papa. where the hell am i supposed to do for the main quest, it keeps telling me to find more info about my papa

[quote name='emdub']Also, the D-Pad for quick switching weapons really only gives you 4 slots. The 4 corner ones are impossible to select accurately, especially during combat.[/quote]

If you hold down the d-pad for a second it makes it easier to select the corner ones.

[quote name='AshesofWake']need halp

i blew up megaton without finding more info about my papa. where the hell am i supposed to do for the main quest, it keeps telling me to find more info about my papa
[/QUOTE]

Head to Rivet City and talk to Dr. Lei

[quote name='GuruuShah']ok Im a BIG RPG FAN but i didnt like oblivion. Should i get this game then?

thx ahead of time :)[/quote]
Same question as him. I disliked the combat in Oblivion.

I have question for those who have completed "The Replicated Man" quest.

So which one is the "Good Karma" thing to do? I got the audio log from Doc Church and then I found another one in Manya's house and asked her about it. Then a little later this lady wants me to take the chip to Zimmerman and tell him the android is dead. Thing is, I have the option to keep looking for him.

So I'm not exactly sure what I should do, I assume if I keep looking for him then that would be "Bad Karma" since you most likely rat him out?

[quote name='GuruuShah']ok Im a BIG RPG FAN but i didnt like oblivion. Should i get this game then?

I hate Oblivion, but love Fallout 3. Can't really explain why. I just feel everything blends together well.

[quote name='yukine']I have question for those who have completed "The Replicated Man" quest.

So which one is the "Good Karma" thing to do? I got the audio log from Doc Church and then I found another one in Manya's house and asked her about it. Then a little later this lady wants me to take the chip to Zimmerman and tell him the android is dead. Thing is, I have the option to keep looking for him.

So I'm not exactly sure what I should do, I assume if I keep looking for him then that would be "Bad Karma" since you most likely rat him out?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I got good karma from selecting
the option to lie to Dr. Zimmerman and say the robot is dead when it's really not.

[quote name='yukine']I have question for those who have completed "The Replicated Man" quest.

[/quote]
Good Karma is to lie and you'll get 40 caps and you'll get the achievement, so easiest way.

thx ahead of time :)[/QUOTE]

ANYBODY LOL PLZ

Ugh, I'm starting to get worried. I get a disk read error almost every time I play anything. It seems to be happening more and more frequently, too.

fucking figures, Gears 2 is almost out. Why wouldn't my console red ring?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya, you should get it. I liked oblivion despite the combat, the combat in this is much better. It's not perfect; it can be a little annoying to have the crosshairs on someone and not hit them because your chance to hit is decided by skill points, but you get used to it. Also, the setting of the game is way more interesting than obilivion.

Maybe I should look into schematics, I'm having a bitch of a time taking down those trolls that own downtown D.C. without getting my ass kicked a little with the assault rifle/hunting rifle.

[quote name='bardockkun']
Good Karma is to lie and you'll get 40 caps and you'll get the achievement, so easiest way.
[/quote]
Ah, thanks.

Still a tough choice, since it looks like you get
a perk for siding with Dr. Zimmer. Something like a 10% chance for a critical perk. I guess I'll save it for the Bad Karma run.

I personally hate Oblivion. It is the only game in my gaming tenure that has actually put me to sleep. No, I wasn't tired and yes I was looking forward to playing it. Fallout 3 has the interface of Oblivion, but that is pretty much where the similarities end.

Anyone else have trouble selecting certain parts of the body in VATS? It always seems to take me a bit to select the head. It could just be that my controller is starting to go.

kind of a spoiler but not really since i think everyone knows about megaton by now but
i told suit guy (forget his name now) that i'd blow it up, i put the switch on the bomb, went to tenpenny tower, then killed suit guy and mr. tenpenny and didn't destroy megaton...is there anyway to destroy the switch/detonator on the patio? i don't have a house to put my crap in lol

Needing some help

So i got the tape from the doctor about the android but nothing new or not even a marker as to where i should go. What should I do next?

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Needing some help

So i got the tape from the doctor about the android but nothing new or not even a marker as to where i should go. What should I do next?
[/quote]
If you want, you can go back to Megaton and someone will find you and ask you not to turn the android in. They'll give you the stuff to make it seem like the android died and you'll get good karma, but other then that (meaning if you want bad Karma and turn the android in), I have no idea.

Arg, I am in
The Capital Building tryin to go to repair the Radio sensor
and the buildings are so elaborate to travel through it takes forever

[quote name='yukafls']Arg, I am in
The Capital Building tryin to go to repair the Radio sensor
and the buildings are so elaborate to travel through it takes forever[/quote]
ARGH! Same, it's taking forever just to get the fuck out!

Alright, fuck it. Where do I go in the
Museum of Technology? I'm in the West Wing of it (the space part) and I've hacked and somewhere opened an exit, but don't know where the hell I'm supposed to go. Any suggestions?

[quote name='bardockkun']Alright, fuck it. Where do I go in the
Museum of Technology? I'm in the West Wing of it (the space part) and I've hacked and somewhere opened an exit, but don't know where the hell I'm supposed to go. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

I think you just go out the way you came in
if you are doing the washington monument mission for three dog. When I hacked the computer it said exit door not found and it confused the hell out of me

Nope, still stuck and the arrow is basically saying I should stay in that area or something, but last productive thing I did in this part was hack the computer in the circular room of the Planetarium and that's it. The arrow keeps telling me to go somewhere close to the moonlanding display, but that's it.

bread's done
Back