Fighter Thread 2: Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karathrowing is cancelling a normal move into a throw.
The normal move will move you forward, so your throw range increases.

Chun has a solid karathrow with s.mk.
You press s.MK and immediately go for a throw withing the first few frames of the move.
It's almost like pressing lp, lk, and mk at the same time, but of course mk gets pressed slightly sooner.

edit: so yeah, like someone else said, you pretty much got it down.

[quote name='evilmax17']Can you go into Kara-throwing a little bit more? From my understanding, it's doing a move that would advance your character forward (usually a poke), and then immediately activating the throw. I forget what this is supposed to accomplish, and I don't think I've ever successfully pulled it off.

Any explanation/tips?[/QUOTE]

Has anyone ever used the Shadowblade arcade stick by Interact?

EDIT: 1up.com has a big feature on SC3. IDK if this has been posted yet: http://soulcalibur3.1up.com

The Tale of Souls sounds awesome! They say it'll take about 30 minutes with each character, it's an actual story mode with branching paths and features that differ from character to character, and there are 30 characters. *orgasm* Chronicles of the Sword, Coin Collector, Dancing Statue, Soul Squash, and Wisp Shoot also sound great.

It seems that making the game for one system has actually allowed the SC team to just focus and add in all kinds of new stuff rather than have to worry about making sure the game works on all 3 systems.

And this is coming sometime in October, right?

I've tried the Shadowblade out once at a friend's house and it felt like cheap plastic to me.
It's fine if you're like my friend and you don't play much fighters, but I can't see it lasting too long for any fighting game fans.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Man you don't know the half of it. Here are a key differences in DI that were changed in 3S:

-Akuma, Ibuki, and Sean dominated

-parrying was much easier, and in the air there were two ways you could parry (either tap forward or down)

-Throws weren't a command like they are in 3S, so there were no kara throws

-no Chun-Li

There's tons more, but it's more technical stuff like combos and stuff.[/QUOTE]

yeah...you have to work a lot harder for your wins with Ibuki in 3rd strike. 2 hits and she's dead and she doesn't do much damage.

jeeze... I just got Project Justice in the mail today... wow... i'm very impressed. I loved rival schools, but this kicks so much more ass. I can't beleive I never owned a dreamcast till now. I've missed out on alot of damn good stuff on that system. I have to say, I think some of capcom's best arcade style fighters were when they were making things on the Naomi arcade board/Dreamcast.

:lol: just a weird crossover thought... if they ever made Marvel vs Capcom 3 (will never happen), I would love to see some offshoot capcom characters showup like Harman Smith from Killer 7, Dante from Devil May Cry, Power Stone characters, PukiPuki (i think a crappy gameboy color game)... and whatnot.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Ok, that was maybe the worst thing I've ever seen. :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's so bad it's good! It really fits with the movie as it is pretty bizarre all the way through. I am a devout Jackie Chan fan though so I am biased. :lol:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']jeeze... I just got Project Justice in the mail today... wow... i'm very impressed. I loved rival schools, but this kicks so much more ass. I can't beleive I never owned a dreamcast till now. I've missed out on alot of damn good stuff on that system. I have to say, I think some of capcom's best arcade style fighters were when they were making things on the Naomi arcade board/Dreamcast.

:lol: just a weird crossover thought... if they ever made Marvel vs Capcom 3 (will never happen), I would love to see some offshoot capcom characters showup like Harman Smith from Killer 7, Dante from Devil May Cry, Power Stone characters, PukiPuki (i think a crappy gameboy color game)... and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Project Justice kicks much ass. I believe I got mine for $19.99 new at Circuit City 3 or 4 years ago.

I wish they would just do a Capcom vs. Capcom game. Include all the Darkstalkers, all the SFA3 characters, most of the Project Justice crew, Dante, Trish, Lucia, Mega Man X...:drool:

I can't beleive capcom isn't at work on making another Project Justice/Rival Schools. It's a good series and has enough fanbase to keep it going. I loved the first game on the PS1, and I think it would be sweet to see another part of the saga show up on next gen systems or on the PSP (*drool*.... Rival Schools on the PSP and I would be set for life... until something else comes out... *drool*).

One thing I've noticed nobody has brought up that I think is ready for another questionair:

What are your opinions on the following for both 2d and 3d fighters in general:

Taunts?
Dashing?
Running?
Parry?
Reversals?
Twitch Fighting?
Charge Fighting?
Juggles?
Number of attack buttons (usually 4 or 6)?
Combos?
Super Moves?
Tag Team?
Team Battle?
Sidestepping?
Throws?
...add more if you like

I know that's alot of general questions, but I think it's good enough for some discussion.

Taunts? I love taunts in 2D and 3D fighters. They aren't really necessary most of the time but it gives the characters personality.
Dashing? I like dashing in 2D more than 3D. I still like fighters without it, but it is a nice feature to have.
Running? I hated the Run button in MK3. In most games just a fast walking speed would suffice.
Parry? Great for 3D fighters. I am not too keen on it for 2D though.
Reversals? Once again I prefer this on 3D. Especially in regards to throw reversals.
Twitch Fighting? Don't really care
Charge Fighting? Don't really care
Juggles? Even with games that use juggling, I don't use it much.
Number of attack buttons (usually 4 or 6)? I prefer 4 now. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 proved to me that 4 buttons should be the norm. They changed the 6-button scheme and it worked great.
Combos? As long as they aren't Killer Instinct style, lol.
Super Moves?The only 3D fighter I like for this is Project Justice. A 2D fighter without it is insane.
Tag Team? Yes for 3D and 2D. Loads of fun and adds another strategy element.
Team Battle? I can dig it.
Sidestepping? 3D yes. I don't like it in 2D much.
Throws? I love non-linkable throws.

Taunts? Taunts can be nice to have. Dan makes me laugh.
Dashing? Dashing should be strictly 2D
Running? I like running more in 3d fighters
Parry? I've never seen this in a 3D fighter I don't think... so I'd say 2D
Reversals? I've heard the term but I really don't know what it means
Twitch Fighting? Hmmm?
Charge Fighting? Hmmm?
Juggles? I hate them in both fighters equally
Number of attack buttons (usually 4 or 6)? I like them both, it doesnt really matter, although 4 buttons is more friendly when playing with a keyboard on mame

Combos? Don't really care they are fine in both
Super Moves? 2D
Tag Team? Both
Team Battle? like more then 2 people? both I guess.
Sidestepping? 3D
Throws? Cheap ass throws, I hate them in both.

Juggles are kinda a gray area in fighting games-- most people who are losing to them are crying "cheapass juggler" and the people making use of them love em. I think most games do a good job of handling juggles-- In tekken, doa and guilty gear, you can easily block launchers, for the most part, and even if you don't, the guy has to work hard to get a decent damage.

otoh, you have M vs. C and MK, where once you are in the air, it's all over. though it's not nearly as easy to get big damage in M vs. C as it is in MK.

[quote name='Apossum']
otoh, you have M vs. C and MK, where once you are in the air, it's all over. though it's not nearly as easy to get big damage in M vs. C as it is in MK.[/QUOTE]

I think MK: Deception had a damage cap on in air juggles... my Xbox is broke, so I can't confirm =/

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It's so bad it's good! It really fits with the movie as it is pretty bizarre all the way through. I am a devout Jackie Chan fan though so I am biased. :lol: [/QUOTE]

And then he turns into Chun Li and it goes back from good to horrible. :lol:

:rofl:

It's still better than the Jean-Claude Van Damme film!

Only good thing about that was Raul Julia as Bison and Ming Na Wen as Chun Li.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']:rofl:

It's still better than the Jean-Claude Van Damme film!

Only good thing about that was Raul Julia as Bison and Ming Na Wen as Chun Li.[/QUOTE]

The movie is tons more enjoyable if you look at it as an accidental comedy, what with suff like Bison't suit giving him CPR and Ryu and Ken going from Ansatsuken students to weapons dealers. And who can forgot Zangief's infamous line, "Quick, change the channel!"

I haven't laughed so hard in ages :lol:

Is MK:D worth picking up if I don't see it as a serious fighting game?? The game seems like it's pakced with extras, and could provide a lot of replay value.

"Is MK:D worth picking up if I don't see it as a serious fighting game??"
Probably. It has a lot of stuff to unlock and a rip-off of Puzzle Fighter, so as long as you don't go in looking for a fighting game, I bet you can find a decent video game in there.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part because I haven't played the game yet.

[quote name='evanft']Is MK:D worth picking up if I don't see it as a serious fighting game?? The game seems like it's pakced with extras, and could provide a lot of replay value.[/QUOTE]

MK:D was fun when it first came out... although the game is VERY broken and cheesy at high level play.

A group of friends and I are Tekken players and we ruled that game the first 4 months the game was out until we finally waited for Tekken 5's arcade release. Seriously it's THAT easy to dominate in that game.

I enjoyed the Konquest mode though lol.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Why do people say Tekken 5 is to slow? It doesn't feel slow to me. Maybe they should play faster, that might help.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why some people say that.

Tekken 5 does not play slow at all, it's maybe that people play it slow. But seriously the game is fast paced. People who don't play it competitively would probably never know that though.

That's the thing with fighting games.

The casual players who play the game and have fun unlocking stuff/watching endings/playing story mode... are completely different from the players who are hardcore/travel to tournaments/study the game inside and out... and then there are those in the middle that just love the game...

All that stuff is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll tell you one thing though, for 3D games... in high level competitive play... the pace speeds would probably go in this ranking:

1) Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned(You can also put Evolution and 4 in here)
2) Tekken 5
3) Tekken Tag Tournament
4) Soul Calibur II

You might be wondering why I didn't list DOA or MK Deception here... it's just because there is not a huge competitive scene for these games. Sure they are online, but there are never any real tournament gatherings across the US for these games.

2D is a whole different story though...

Something kinda fighting game related. King of Fighters is finally getting an anime! I don't know much but SNK announced it not to long ago. It's being made by Production IG. They said Kyo, K', Ash and Alba are going to be in it. I don't know why they're including Alba, but I'm not complaining.

[quote name='MarkMan']
You might be wondering why I didn't list DOA or MK Deception here... it's just because there is not a huge competitive scene for these games. Sure they are online, but there are never any real tournament gatherings across the US for these games.

[/QUOTE]

doacentral.com is where most of the DoA competition is. There's a bunch of people there who travel and host tournaments. The game is also at EVO this year-- not sure if it's 3 or Ultimate(hopefully the former, since it's better suited for competition.)
It would be a solid #5 on your list, but the scene is growing.

If DoA 4 is as tailored to hardcore fighting game fans as the devs say it is, hopefully that'll change everything.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Something kinda fighting game related. King of Fighters is finally getting an anime! I don't know much but SNK announced it not to long ago. It's being made by Production IG. They said Kyo, K', Ash and Alba are going to be in it. I don't know why they're including Alba, but I'm not complaining.[/QUOTE]

Here's hoping it won't suck, and that Iori's in it.

DOA is gonna be at Evo this year? Um..eww. I was hoping that Alpha 3 would win the Player's Choice poll for Evo.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Something kinda fighting game related. King of Fighters is finally getting an anime! I don't know much but SNK announced it not to long ago. It's being made by Production IG. They said Kyo, K', Ash and Alba are going to be in it. I don't know why they're including Alba, but I'm not complaining.[/QUOTE]

I was a fan of the Fatal Fury movies so I am excited to hear this.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I was a fan of the Fatal Fury movies so I am excited to hear this.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I was too. Though they weren't canon in the least I still got a lot of enjoyment out of them.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Yea, I was too. Though they weren't canon in the least I still got a lot of enjoyment out of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as long as they don't turn out like the subpar Samurai Shodown it's all gravy.

I don't know if it's gonna be a movie or a series, but I always though KOF would make a cool weekly series, just cause it's got so many intresting characters it would be hard to cram them all into a hour and a half movie.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Here's hoping it won't suck, and that Iori's in it.

DOA is gonna be at Evo this year? Um..eww. I was hoping that Alpha 3 would win the Player's Choice poll for Evo.[/QUOTE]

don't worry, I'm sure they'll have seperate water fountains and bathrooms for DoA fans. :p

[quote name='Purple Flames']Here's hoping it won't suck, and that Iori's in it.

DOA is gonna be at Evo this year? Um..eww. I was hoping that Alpha 3 would win the Player's Choice poll for Evo.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about. I can't wait to see what 9 year old button masher wins this time.

I've always heard stories about people who were like brand new to DoA winning tournaments and what not. Anyone have links to any stories about that?

Okay there are two vids that people complain about as "proof" that "DOA is Broken."

The first is the Official Xbox America Championship where the final battle was Hayabusa vs Hayabusa and all both of them did was KickKickKick or UpKickKick.

The second is the Official Xbox Japanese Championship where it was Hayabusa vs Hayate and the Hayate player did the broken cartwheel (UpPunch+Kick) to SS around all of Hayabusa's attacks. The Hayabusa player most definitely didn't know how to get around it, but the Hayate player knew exactly what he was doing. You'll hear a lot of people say that "He just picked up the game one month before!" as an argument about how there isn't any depth to the game. When the cartwheel can be beaten if someone delves deep enough to figure out ways to get them out of that trap.

from Doacentral.com. they have vids of both of those there. they also have about 100 more vids of real people playing the game, so why bother watching scrubs? ;-)

the first one isn't even from a fighting game tourney and was before the game had any hardcore followers. it's equivalent two people picking up SF2 and hucking fireballs the whole time because thats all they know how to do. I doubt that tournament had any knowledgeable players, seeing as how piss poor the playing is in the video. That kick can be countered so easily. it's obvious that neither of them knew how to time a counter. I am a mid-level player and I could run circles around those guys.

the second one was an example of somebody exploiting another guys weakness.
The cartwheel is a broken evasive move that was so impossible to counter that it's banned from tourneys nowadays. They eventually fixed it with the European release of DoA 3(aka 3.2)

Kinda like how if you don't have a 10 hit tekken combo completely memorized and lose your guard 3 hits into it, a "serious" player will repeat incessantly until you die. same deal.

[quote name='rodimus donut']What are you talking about. I can't wait to see what 9 year old button masher wins this time. [/quote]

man, if I could only get 1 match with you :roll: ;-)

DoA is vastly inferior to VF4 and Tekken in every way, though. Also SFA 3, Soul Calibur, Marvel vs. Capcom 2........:D

[quote name='evanft']DoA is vastly inferior to VF4 and Tekken in every way, though. Also SFA 3, Soul Calibur, Marvel vs. Capcom 2........:D[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about inferior or superior, that's your own little subjective judgement call. If by "inferior" you mean "less depth", then yeah, you are right. but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm just proving that most of the elitist haters haven't spent any time with the game, have no idea what they are talking about, and would get stomped by a mid to high level player no matter how much they mash. :D The "beginner who won the DoA tournment" slam is about 4 years old and has been debunked...get over it...there is plenty to learn about doa. if you look a little deeper than the surface of it, of course ;-)

Apossum why can't you defend a game that is at least good. DOA was made for boobs and that's about it. Let it go.

Apposum, I'd like a match with you too. Just cause it's a game I don't take seriously I do know how to play it fairly well. Don't take it personally, I just like taking cheap shots at DOA.

[quote name='Apossum']Who said anything about inferior or superior, that's your own little subjective judgement call. If by "inferior" you mean "less depth", then yeah, you are right. but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm just proving that most of the elitist haters haven't spent any time with the game, have no idea what they are talking about, and would get stomped by a mid to high level player no matter how much they mash. :D The "beginner who won the DoA tournment" slam is about 4 years old and has been debunked...get over it...there is plenty to learn about doa. if you look a little deeper than the surface of it, of course ;-)[/QUOTE]

It was a joke. It's called a sense of humor for god's sake.

[quote name='evanft']It was a joke. It's called a sense of humor for god's sake.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I thought we were discussing something. sorry if I sounded like I was offended. I don't really think all tekken players are elitist..hence the smilie...the sarcasm...the comment about DoA players using seperate water fountains and toilets...guess my sense of humor a little too dry?

Apposum, I'd like a match with you too. Just cause it's a game I don't take seriously I do know how to play it fairly well. Don't take it personally, I just like taking cheap shots at DOA.

I know yer just playing, we've been over this many times.
It is a good way to get me talking :D

Apossum why can't you defend a game that is at least good. DOA was made for boobs and that's about it. Let it go.

It's my job to defend teh honor of boobies.

I swear to never bring up DoA again. Until, I post my review of 4 :D
signed,
Apossum
Exceptions: if somebody asks something technical about it or wants to set up a Live match ;-)

On topic: anyone know a constructive use for Xiayuos(sp?) downward chops? I think they are back+ RP or LP-- she does a little chop with an open palm. It doesn't do damage, but I've stopped some moves dead in their tracks with it. I'm wondering if there's a general rule for what it can interrupt. If I knew this, I could conquer everyone I know at Tekken 5 :D

Meh, I like DOA and I'll bring it up as much as I please! ;)

I will say this, the boobs thing isn't nearly as pronounced now as it was in the first game. Besides, Ryu Hayabusa is in it. If it wasn't for the success of the DOA series the glorious Ninja Gaiden for Xbox may have never been made.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Meh, I like DOA and I'll bring it up as much as I please! ;)

I will say this, the boobs thing isn't nearly as pronounced now as it was in the first game. Besides, Ryu Hayabusa is in it. If it wasn't for the success of the DOA series the glorious Ninja Gaiden for Xbox may have never been made.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that it wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for DOA, since I feel a next-gen Ninja Gaiden was long overdue, but I DO feel that DOA definitely gave it more face value by reintroducing Ryu Hayabusa to the newer gamers who might not have been around in his early days.

[quote name='Apossum']On topic: anyone know a constructive use for Xiayuos(sp?) downward chops? I think they are back+ RP or LP-- she does a little chop with an open palm. It doesn't do damage, but I've stopped some moves dead in their tracks with it. I'm wondering if there's a general rule for what it can interrupt. If I knew this, I could conquer everyone I know at Tekken 5 :D[/QUOTE]

I don't play much Tekken personally so I couldn't say. Just check TZ.

I was looking forward to that Capcom all stars gave however it got canned...it looked interesting, it was a 3d fighter with characters such as Chun-Li, Mike Haggar (Final Fight), Ryu, Alex (Street Fighter III), Batsu (Rival Schools), Charlie, Hiryu (Strider).

According to gamespot it was canceled because "The gameplay mechanics would have revolved around a five-button setup with two punch buttons, two kick buttons, and a side-step button for avoiding attacks. In addition basic attacks would have canceled each other out if executed at the same time."

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/capcomfightingallstars/news_2911652.html

In regards to Xiaoyu's b+1 and b+2 quick chops... you can use them as an interrupter during certain poke strings... also by holding ~B you can go into BT state(also known as RND[Raindance] stance) and mixup from there. It's not something to be abused but it's good to know it's range and what it can beat out.

Also for DoA... it will not be an official EVO game. Sure people are welcome to play it on Thursday while we are setting up etc. But it will not have an official tournament.

And I'm fully aware of the DoA scene and talk to some of the best players in the nation for the game. A lot of people agree that the game lacks depth and could be improved upon. Let's just hope there is some sort of dramatic change in DoA4 that competitive gamers can appreciate.

The main thing I dislike about DoA isn't the game itself, but the mentality of the game's creator... Itagaki. A coworker of mine went to a private party during E3 with Itagaki and some moderators from DoACentral... and all they did was talk trash about how lame Tekken was... Now I know everyone is entitled to his opinion... but I hate it when people talk trash about a game because of false accusations and lack of knowledge of the real level the game is at.

That's real talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back